How were you introduced to the series? :eyeroll:

Introduce yourself here, and greet new members!
Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Re: How were you introduced to the series? :eyeroll:

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:21 am

Haha, not sure how old you are, but I didn't get into the AF series until I was in college (so, probably like 21 or 22). It's like Harry Potter, I think, it may technically be aimed for younger readers, but people of all ages can enjoy it. (And I like books for younger readers from the standpoint that, while they can have all the powerful drama and emotional complexities of any book series, they don't have all the things that you see in adult books.)

Yeah, it's been slow. >> I still usually check this site every week or so to see if there's been any activity, but there hasn't been a whole lot. x3 (On the other hand, if there were some new posts on things, it could get things going again, at least a little. At the very least, I know I always have a lot of questions when I meet a new AF fan. ;9 [I always want to ask people things like, 'What's your favorite book of the series? How would you rate the books, in order of favorite to least favorite? Who's your favorite character? What are your favorite scenes? Have you ever read any fanfiction before? Who do you ship, or are you against the shipping? What did you think of the way it ended with The Last Guardian?' Etc, etc.] I think there's pretty much topics for all of those, and some kind of fun ideas to think about. :J
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Kron48
Swear Toad
Real First Name: Max
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Uhh... Foaly Jr.?

Postby Kron48 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:25 pm

Rocket Axxonu wrote:'What's your favorite book of the series? How would you rate the books, in order of favorite to least favorite? Who's your favorite character? What are your favorite scenes? Have you ever read any fanfiction before? Who do you ship, or are you against the shipping? What did you think of the way it ended with The Last Guardian?' Etc, etc.] I think there's pretty much topics for all of those, and some kind of fun ideas to think about. :J

That's tough, I'd probably have to say Lost Colony or Time Paradox.In order, I'd have to say TLC, TTP, TOD, TEC, TAC, AF(Original), TAC. I haven't even read The Last Guardian yet (although I ordered it on Amazon on the 24th :/) I haven't ever really been a party of any fandom/fan-fiction before, because my main interests are in science in mathematics, so although I read ridiculous amounts of books I never really get wrapped up in the series, except for with Tunnels, AF, Virals, and Neal Asher's 'Dark Intelligence'. I do have some experience them as my ex-girlfriend was an absolute Percy Jackson nut. I don't especially ship anyone in the series, although it would not be shocking if Artemis and Holly got bored once or twice and... Although I haven't read TLG, I assume that Artemis recovered all of his memories, but didn't ever get total recall, so they all ended up being from Holly's POV. Because of this he could clearly see how some of his actions (kidnapping her, blackmailing her, you know, the usual) were blatantly wrong. Because of this his memories reconstruct in a negative fashion so that he will thenceforth try to not do things like that, completing the transformation from the soulless kid we see in the first book to the caring guy (Orion lol) we see in TPP, TAC, (and I assume in) TLG. Maybe I shouldn't be replying in this thread though xD
"The end: It's gonna happen! But in the meantime, its on with the show. On with the show!" -Devo

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:02 am

Ah, so I guess you're a fan of the latter half of the series then? (I think I said this in another thread, but it seems like most often AF fans split off into two camps, some prefer the early books the most and may have even thought the series went somewhat downhill, while others like the later books the most and the way the series developed over time.) I probably don't need to say this, but I'm in the second camp, too. x3 (The Time Paradox is by far my favorite, and it's that book that really turned me from a casual fan into a hardcore fan. XD) Oh, whenever you get a chance to read it let me know, I'm interested to know your thoughts. :J (I might have said this, but there was kind of a mixed reaction to it. But then, I guess that's true of most finales of major series. x3 Oh, and what you said about Artemis recovering his memories—wait, are you going off what you've heard people say about TLG? Or is there something from TAC I'm forgetting? x3)

Haha, I always have to ask about fanart and fanfiction, since I'm a bit obsessed with looking at fanart/fanfiction myself, and doing my own. (I've always thought one of the most awesome parts of really getting into a series is when it inspires you to do your own projects.) Although to be honest, fanfiction can be a little hard to break into for the first time (a writing style is often like a fingerprint, completely unique to the writer, and so coming off the original series you feel that difference as compared to the original author's writing immediately, even if the fan writer has a good understanding of the characters and is keeping them relatively in character). But, there are definitely a few gems out there.

Oh, but if you're interested, there is this one fan comic a pair of artists did that I think is absolutely incredible, which covers about the first chapter of The Atlantis Complex. (You can find it here: http://iesnoth.deviantart.com/art/AF-Atlantis-Complex-00-166192315) I really couldn't believe fans could create something that good, I'm still obsessing over it years after the fact. xD (Both of the artists also have quite a bit of other AF fanwork too, which you can find in folders in their galleries labeled 'Artemis Fowl.')

Again, though, when you do get a hold of TLG, tell me. ;9 (Love it, hate it, I think it still makes for interesting discussion.)
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

davidsnt
Cave Troll

Postby davidsnt » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:45 am

The first time I had contact with the books of Artemis Fowl, was when I visited some bookshop looking for other type of books. I like children's literature but I'm not really attracted to fantasy literature. I was 27 or 28 years old then. But I was always curious to know more about this 12 year old boy with a Machiavellian mind! And I think the character is fabulous.
Here in my country (Guatemala) it is easy to find the first 3 books. The others are a bit difficult. And I think that there are few people here who have heard about
Artemis Fowl. That's why I feel like I belonged to an exclusive club :)
Anyway, I still enjoy the books I have read and I will not stop until I read the last!

Greetings to all!!

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Nice! I know how you feel, although I have generally liked fantasy stories, the idea of 'fairies' wasn't something I was really interested in as a kid, and it was more the character of Artemis that initially intrigued me. (But now, thanks to Artemis Fowl, I like fairies, too, lol.)

Ah, that's rough. (I often had the same problem trying to view my favorite animes from Japan which hadn't been released in North America, and it just seemed like I would look everywhere, and could never find it.) But, I really hope you get the chance to read them. (: (I'd recommend Amazon.com, but I'm not sure if they deliver to Guatemala, as it's not listed on the 'Amazon Global Export Countries' page. [And, I'm sure the fee for international delivery would probably be outrageous anyway.] I guess one alternative could be to buy a digital copy on Amazon, and then just read it in the browser, either on a computer or smartphone. [The downside would be that you wouldn't have a physical copy, and I know many people find reading on devices a bit uncomfortable, but that would be one option to just be able to read them. If had any questions about how that worked, I'd be happy to answer them. C: ]) Best of luck to you! c:

davidsnt
Cave Troll

Postby davidsnt » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:30 am

Thanks again. I found a bookstore here in my country where they sell some of the books in English. It does not have the last but at least the 3, 4 and 5.
And Amazon does ship to Guatemala, except that not all products are available. I will search the other books to see if they bring them.
Thanks for the idea. Any questions on this subject I consult you.

A question about the accent: I was finding out that in Ireland many different accents are handled according to the region. I suppose Artemis, being from Dublin, will have the accent of this city. What do you think? And you, who speak English, do you hear the difference between the accents of other English-speaking countries? I only managed to differentiate British English from the rest.

Bye!!

I'm using a translator. I'm sorry for the mistakes!

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:34 am

Nice! (The fourth and fifth books are definitely among my favorites of the series...though I guess I have so many favorites maybe that doesn't say much. XD) After that there's just three more books. (6, The Time Paradox, 7, the Atlantis Complex, and finally 8, The Last Guardian.)

Huh, that is interesting, I hadn't heard that, though it makes sense that different parts of Ireland would have different accents. (It's the same for Britain and the US, both of which use English as their primary language, with lots of variations in accents from region to region. For example, in the US, there's a Southern accent, a New York accent, among others.) And yeah, English-speakers do hear the differences in different accents. (Often I'm not very good at identifying which is which, but when it comes to speaking the English language, German accents, French accents, Japanese accents, British accents, Chinsese accents, Korean accents, Italian accents, Middle-Eastern accents, American accents, etc. all are very distinctive. Though again, I'm often not all that good at picking out an accent and naming which one it is.

One nice thing about the Artemis Fowl audiobooks (the ones read by Nathanial Parker--I think there are other audiobook releases in other countries, but his are the ones I'm most familiar with), is that he reads Artemis with an Irish accent, as well as Butler and Juliet. I'm not sure if it's region-specific, but it's very well done.

No problem, don't worry about it! C: (I've used Google Translate to try to communicate with some people, and I never have the slightest idea what's coming out the other end since most of the time I don't know anything about the language, so you're way ahead of me.)

davidsnt
Cave Troll

Postby davidsnt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:13 am

Hello again. Sorry for responding so late. You know I did not know there were Artemis Fowl audiobooks. It would be interesting to hear them after finishing reading the books. Thanks for sharing.
A big greeting and successes.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:03 pm

No problem, sometimes life gets busy. X3 Yeah, they're really well done. (I first got them from my local library, but you can buy them off audible.com [a company connected to Amazon]. And I think if you sign up for audible, you can get any two audiobooks for free, [then later cancel your subscription without paying anything] or at least, I know that was a promotion they had going on for a long time.) If you do, you'll have to let me know what you think. C:

davidsnt
Cave Troll

Postby davidsnt » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:27 am

Thank you. I'll find something about it. See you!

Return to “The Entrance Hall”