A Game Most Fowl

Submit your Artemis Fowl fan fiction and media here.
jkdnp
Gremlin

A Game Most Fowl

Postby jkdnp » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:22 am

Hi Everyone!
This is my first fanfiction and I'm really excited about it. It is an Artemis Fowl/Sherlock crossover and I hope you like it. Please comment on any improvements I can make, but don't be too harsh :blush:
Okay... Here we go!

A Game Most Fowl

Post The Last Guardian and His Last Vow. After Artemis’ death six months earlier, the prodigy finds that his family did not take the event well. He is having some trouble adapting back into everyday life, and no matter how hard he tries, he feels life will never be “ordinary”, or at least as it was before. Artemis decides to seek the help of a certain consulting criminal and gets into more trouble than he bargained for.

Chapter 1- The Not-So-Empty House
The Fowls were bankrupt. Ever since that fateful Christmas not-that-long ago, the family was falling in a downhill spiral. Artemis Senior had invested in all the wrong stocks and lost half of his fortune in three months. Angeline Fowl slowly became fond of rare and expensive wines. As for the twins, their tender young minds simply forgot their elder brother over time, convinced that the teen they spent some time with was merely a distant cousin or relative who had come to visit. Butler though, had always remained faithful to his young principle and was not surprised in the least when his master had returned to life.

Fowl Manor, Present Day
Artemis sat at the end of his four-poster bed, a loosened silk tie hanging around his neck. His temples were throbbing. The events of the last few hours were overwhelming. I am Artemis Fowl the Second, he told himself. I am the son of Artemis Fowl the First and Angeline Fowl. I am the brother of Myles Fowl and Beckett Fowl. My friends are Domovi Butler, Juliet Butler, Captain Holly Short of LEPrecon, Foaly, Mulch Diggums, and No1. I am an ally to the People. I am a juvenile genius. I am not a criminal. The youth stretched across the bed closing his eyes, breathing deeply.

A small knock emanated from a corner of the room. “Artemis?” inquired an uncertain voice. Artemis groaned, Holly, “Artemis can I come in?”
The boy sat up and straightened his tie, “It’s unlocked.” He replied. The door creaked open and through the small space given, the slender figure of the elfin captain slipped through.
“Hello, Ms. Short” Artemis said stiffly.
Ms. Short, Holly thought to herself, this is a bad sign. “Hi Artemis, How are you feeling?” The boy simply looked at her. “I have something for you,” Holly continued, handing Artemis a small vial.
“Foaly and No1 have been working on it. It should help you with your memory.” Holly really hoped it would. She hated seeing the pain in her friend’s face, all she wanted was for the real Artemis, however insufferable he may be at times, to be back.
“So I simply need to drink it?” Artemis asked. Holly nodded. The boy pulled off the stopper with long, nervous fingers and in one draught, the liquid was gone. Artemis grimaced.
“Are you okay?” Holly asked, putting a steady hand on his forearm.
Artemis opened his eyes; the icy blue a bit more piercing than before. “Well,” he said. “It’s far from Earl Grey.”
Holly could have cried. “He’s back!” she sang, choking the mastermind in a hug.

Somewhere in London, Present Day

Jim was bored. Three years he had been trapped in this basement. Three years of petty crimes, or if he was lucky, the occasional scandal. But nothing extravagant, nothing good, nothing even worth his time. Don’t get him wrong, the basement of a long abandoned warehouse was by no means uncomfortable. It was very large, fully furnished, and could produce quite a sustainable environment for the average human. Jim was not average. Though he is now fluent in 12 more languages, third degree black belt in seven forms of martial arts, and could play every instrument under the sun in a way that could please the gods. All this meant nothing, what the man really needed was a problem, or the means to cause one.

Today would be different, Jim knew it. Today something would happen, he just didn’t know what. After getting dressed and sitting down to breakfast, Jim decided to check his smartphone. This was not Johnny Highschool’s iSomething or whatever the latest trend was. This particular piece of technology could hack into any government and was more secure than a Swiss bank account.
After checking in on his favourite Consulting Detective, Jim noticed he had an email. It was from his only contact, S.Moran, and read:

“Artemis Fowl the Second – Age 15
Irish teen and heir to Fowl Industries has been seen alive in spite of his confirmed death 6 months prior.
~STILL UNKNOWN TO PUBLIC ~”

Short and to the point, Jim liked that.
He smiled to himself; he and Artemis Senior had once been quite close. Needless to say he had heard about the man’s son and was actually quite disappointed to hear the youth had died. The boy had potential. He was not really one of the angels, Jim knew it even if the “juvenile genius” did not.

Now the man was getting excited, there was a new game beginning, and Jim wanted very much to play. All he had to do was wait, trouble would come to him as it always had. The consulting criminal then began to grin in a way that could either be found quite attractive, or could frighten even Artemis Fowl the Second himself into crying to his mother.

Please tell me if you like it and want me to continue. I'm also open to any changes you think I should do. Thanks! :laughing:
"In a world of locked rooms,
the man with the key is king,
and honey, you should see me in a crown."
~Jim Moriarty

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Re: A Game Most Fowl

Postby Merv Simestra » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:10 pm

This is really interesting. I like that Moriarty is the one who will find Artemis. I'm excited to see where you'll go with this. :)

One thing I would point out is that you say Artemis Senior invested in the wrong stocks and Angeline slowly became fond of expensive wine. Did this happen during The Last Guardian? These things would have had to happen over several months at least, after The Last Guardian. But it seems like the story picks up only a few days after the book ended. I'm just a little confused about that.

Either than that, this was fantastic. Keep it up. :)
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Minervalover
Centaur
Location: Hogwarts, Camp-Half Blood, T.A.R.D.I.S, Dauntless hedquarters, Asgard, Middle Earth, Haven, 221B.

Postby Minervalover » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:46 pm

Ok. i know this might hurt..but i can't look at this anymore....BECAUSE IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL IT BURNS MY EYES! omg i wasn't expecting it to be this book, but i read the first sentence and i was like...yes. i have found the right fanfiction crossover. if you do not continue, i will send castiel and a few demons to peruse you until you complete this. Who cares about school work? this is obviously MUCH more importnat! Please continue!! *crying because it's so beautiful*
I'm not "creative". I'm Ravenclaw
I'm not "different". I'm Divergent
I'm not "mortal." I'm a Half-Blood.
I'm not a "psychopath". I'm a High-functioning Fangirl.
I'm not a "freak". I'm an Avian American.
I'm not a "Midgardian". I'm an Asguardian.
I'm not a "criminal". I'm Juvenile Genius.
I'm not a "man". I am an Elf
And I am definitely a Madman with a Box

jkdnp
Gremlin

Postby jkdnp » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:50 am

Chapter 2 - Dear Jim

“Butler, I can’t breathe.” Artemis tried to say, though in reality, it sounded more like “Burrr, okk erreee”
“My apologies, Master.” Grinned the bodyguard, setting down the teen from a bear hug.
The boy smiled sadly at his acquaintance, “No need, old friend. I know I must have hurt you these past few months. To be perfectly honest, I was unsure myself on whether I would ever see the light of day again.”
Suddenly a voice chimed in from Holly’s communicator, “Well, if it wasn’t for a certain four-legged genius, you wouldn’t.”
Holly rolled her eyes. “Don’t flatter yourself, Foaly.” she said, then began to press a series of buttons, and in a moment, a pixelated image of the smug centaur was projected into the room.
“Someone’s looking better.” Chuckled Foaly, nodding at Artemis.
“Thank you,” said the boy “Though I had expected for the clone to be complete in much less time”
“Well, Captain Short here refrained from telling me about your moment de passion before you so charmingly tranquilized her, Arty”
The centaur couldn’t help but laugh outright at the tomato-red elf and mastermind. Moments like these reminded him that there were perks to his job; other than frequent sarcastic jabs at any unlucky victim, and maintaining the People’s way of life.
The manservant blinked. “What moment de passion?
Foaly opened his mouth to speak the exact moment that a fury of blond swept into the room.
“Artemis!” cried Juliet Butler, crushing the youth in an embrace. “You sly devil, I’ve missed you.”
“And I you”
He was somewhat taken aback. Even after six months it was hard to fathom how the young lady had matured. Her thick blond hair fell about her shoulders framing a flawless face. But Artemis could see something in her eyes that he hadn’t since-
“Juliet, where are mother and father?”
The girl lowered her eyes “Arty, I don’t think-“
“Juliet” his voice was stern.
“The study. You really shouldn’t-“but Juliet did not finish her sentence as Artemis was already long gone.

How could he? Forget about his parents, how? The boy wiped a bead of perspiration from his brow with a slim finger as he rushed down the hall. And why did Juliet look so worried? He remembered his mother sobbing uncontrollably under heaps of blankets, and shuddered. Artemis Fowl paused a few feet away from the study, heart in his throat. He could hear two familiar voices arguing.
“I just can’t do this anymore, Artemis.” It was his mother, her voice was trembling.
“Please, Angeline. I just need time, that’s all. Everything will be fine, I promise.”
“No,” Artemis could tell she was crying now. “I’m scared, Timmy. We’re running out of money.”
Artemis Senior opened his mouth to speak, but his wife continued.
“What about the boys? They can tell something’s wrong. And Arty, what are we going to do with him? I just want him to be happy, but he keeps getting himself into trouble.”
Artemis swallowed. Was all of this, whatever it was, his fault? Mother was worried; something about money. He felt sick. It was almost ironic, the fact both the Artemis’ in her life was causing her grief. What a coincidence.
The boy’s father began to speak, “I just need time, Darling. The government won’t be concerned for at least a few more months. Fowl industries will prevail. I will prevail-Angeline” he beckoned, but the lady of the house had just tread out of the study, nearly colliding with her dazed son, who had immediately regained a calm composure.
“Artemis” blurted Angeline, wiping away unwanted tears with her sleeve.
“Hello, Mother” Artemis said pleasantly, melting into his mother’s open arms.
“Oh, Arty,” sighed the boy’s mother smoothing non-existent creases from her son’s tailored Armani jacket. “I’m sorry if you heard me and your father a moment ago. He and I, we’re just a little stressed about some things.”
“About me” Artemis murmured.
“Not at all,” said Angeline, kissing her son on the forehead. “You should have a word with him, though. Let him know you’re okay, I think he needs that.”
“Yes, Mother.”
Artemis watched the elegant figure of his mother pacing down the hall and turned.
He noticed that the study door was opened, and a silhouette of Artemis Fowl Senior could be distinguished leaning against a floor to ceiling book shelf. For a moment, the teen was almost uncertain. Then inhaling sharply, he stepped through the threshold.
“Father?”
“Ah, come here son.” Smiled the boy’s father.
Artemis did as he was told, forcing to meet the gaze that was piercing him.
“You spoke with your mother?”
“Yes”
Artemis hated casual conversation. “Father I-”
Artemis Senior chuckled, “Always business, eh?”
The genius hung his head.
“Don’t be upset, Arty. In fact, you remind me of an old friend.”
Artemis narrowed his eyes. Generally “old friend” referred to criminals from his father’s old schemes.
Without noticing his son, the man continued.
“Yes. His name was Jim, and we were quite close. He was also an Irish business man, but he called himself a consulting criminal.” He walked towards the desk his son had inherited years before and slumped into a swivel chair to ease the pain in his prosthetic leg. The man’s brow was furrowed in concentration, then he shook his head. “My apologies, son. I suppose I don’t know what to do with myself. You know what? I think we should go for a trip later this week. Doesn’t that sound fun?”
“Yes, Father.” Answered Artemis.
“That’s a good boy.” Smiled Artemis Senior, patting his son on the back and exiting the room.
Artemis took a seat and steepled his hands in deep thought. Jim someone, a consulting criminal. Who was this man, and why was his father so interested in him? After about fifteen minutes it hit him. Not Jim-but James-James Moriarty. The theory fit everything; consulting criminal, Irish, and deceased, which would explain why his father had been referring to the man in the past tense.
Now Artemis knew what he had to do.
Carefully, he took out a pad of paper and a fountain pen, then began to write:

Dear Jim,
Please will you fix it for me…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I hope you all liked chapter two :laughing:
Sorry for not posting for such a long time...
FORGIVE ME!!!!!

Until next time...
Last edited by jkdnp on Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Jim Moriarty

jkdnp
Gremlin

Postby jkdnp » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:55 pm

Chapter 3: Johnny Highschool

It had almost been a week since Artemis had mailed the letter. In general, he did not lose his patience easily, but this was an exception. Despite his anxiety, Artemis had maintained a pleasant disposition for the sake of family and friends. He was also certain it was working, his brothers remembered him now, and his parents seemed much happier.
Artemis, Myles, and Juliet sat together in the family library. Artemis was reading Dr Seuss to his brother, somewhat reluctantly, and Juliet was hiding a grin behind an array of glitter nail polish.
“‘I do not like it, Sam I Am,
I do not like green eggs and ham…

The girl exploded into a fit of giggles, “Sorry, boys, please continue.” She urged after getting matching pouts from the brothers.
At the moment Artemis had reached the climax of the story, a curly haired maelstrom entered the room waving a formal-looking envelope like a banner, yelling “Artemis, you have mail!”
Myles scowled “Beck! You ruined the whole story.”
That was not entirely untrue, Artemis Fowl had now fixated on the stamped envelope that was taunting him, and carefully slipped away with it while Juliet tried to break the twins away from each other.
Leaning against the library doors, Artemis expertly peeled away a wax stamp, drew out a neatly folded sheet of parchment, and held his breath. The teen took a moment to calm himself and once his hand stopped shaking, he lowered his gaze. The sheet read simply:

Jonah’s Café, 12:00pm
JM

Jonah’s Café, a twenty minute drive from Fowl manor. Hardly a coincidence, Artemis thought sliding the letter into the inner pocket of his jacket.

“Arty! Time for dinner!” echoed Mrs. Fowl’s voice down the hall.
“Coming” He mumbled, entering the dining room.
The polished wood table was draped in a satin tablecloth and set beautifully with the finest dishes, cutlery, and entrées. Artemis did not know how, but the twins were already at the table, so he decided to sit next to them.
“Artemis!” exclaimed Beckett giving his big brother a toothy grin.
“How are you, Beckett?” smiled Artemis, ruffling his brother’s hair and regretting it immediately.
“Happy, Mommy promised to give me chocolate.”
“Did she?” laughed Angeline Fowl “Because I don’t remember any conversation involving chocolate.”
The boy’s lower lip began to tremble.
“What Mother is trying to say is you can have chocolate, just after you have dinner.” Said Artemis hurriedly.
“Okay” smiled Beckett.
The youth rolled his eyed, amused.
After the household had begun to eat, Artemis Senior stood up, a call for attention. Clearing his throat, he began, “Everyone, Angeline and I have been thinking, and we have decided that the entire family will be going on a vacation.”
“Vacay-what?” the twins asked in unison.
Vacation” Juliet explained, “Where you go somewhere to, well, have fun.”
“Where is it we will be going, Father?” Artemis asked.
“Sussex, England”
“We’re leaving on August 20th” Mrs. Fowl chirped.
Two weeks, the teen thought relieved, just enough time.
Butler, who had been quiet for some time, had decided to speak up, “Mr. Fowl, what about school?”
“An excellent point, good man. All taken care of, I assure you. The boys will be attending Anthony MacArthur Public School, and Artemis will be attending George Hewitt High School.”
Artemis Fowl the Second paled.
“H-High School?” he stammered.
Artemis Fowl never stammers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry that chapter was so short.
Tell me if you like it so far and if you have any suggestions.
PLEASE?
*Collapses melodramatically*
So alone...
~Jim Moriarty

Fatebringer the 2nd
Watcher of Worlds
Location: If I told you, it would most likely break your sense of reality.

Postby Fatebringer the 2nd » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:49 am

I am more of a fan of Elementary than Sherlock, but I know the series well enough that Moriarty seems on character so far. The Fowl characters I know are precisely on character. Especially the Earl Grey comment. Nice touch.

One big positive. Dialogue flows well. That's hard to do, I would know. Good on you.

I noticed tense swaps a few times. No big deal as long as it doesn't happen consistently. Make sure to stay in past tense unless you change it purposely for effect.
Right now's avatar-Clownpiece

(Clownpiece will make America great again, by the way.)

jkdnp
Gremlin

Postby jkdnp » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:16 am

Aww thanks!
You watch Elementary too? Yay! I do love Johnny Lee Miller, but I find that the franchise isn't as good at capturing a modern Sherlock as the BBC has. Not that it'll keep me from watching it :laughing:
Anyways, back to the story.
Yeah, tense has always been as issue for me and dialogue too, but I'm trying to get better.
This is my very first fic and I find it to be SO MUCH FUN!!
P.S.
Jim beats Jamie/Irene by FAR (I'm sorry, someone had to say it) :lick:
~Jim Moriarty

Fatebringer the 2nd
Watcher of Worlds
Location: If I told you, it would most likely break your sense of reality.

Postby Fatebringer the 2nd » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:22 am

They barely utilized Jamie. I have to agree.
Right now's avatar-Clownpiece

(Clownpiece will make America great again, by the way.)

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:33 am

You guys watch Elementary and Sherlock, too? I love both (though I missed tonight's episode), but I think they're each good in their own ways. :)

jkdnp, I really like what you have so far. Only comment I can think of is that Juliet is older than 16. She's in her mid-twenties. (I'm assuming you're talking about her in chapter 2?) Either way, you're doing a really good job. Keep it up. :)
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

jkdnp
Gremlin

Postby jkdnp » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:30 pm

Hey Merv!
Sorry if I made that bit confusing... I was saying that she had matured from the sixteen year old in the first book. There was that part when Artemis was explaining about the fairies and stuff then Juliet raised her hand and it points out how she was four years older than Artemis then.
I don't really know why I had to go into such detail, but I'm not crazy I swear! (Okay maybe just a little)
I should have the next chapter up soon, but-
OH MY GOD I'VE GOT AN EXAM TODAY!!!!!!
:scared: :scared: :scared:
~Jim Moriarty

Return to “Artemis Fowl Media”