Holly Short graphic novel recolor

Submit your Artemis Fowl fan fiction and media here.
Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Axxonu
Holly Short graphic novel recolor

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:45 am

So, I was on a thread talking about Holly's skin color, and I started thinking it would be fun to see how Holly from the graphic novel would look with the "nut-brown" or coffee colored skin she's described as having in the originals books, so I photoshopped a few frames from the original graphic novels. (I also made Holly's jumpsuit green, just because.)
Spoiler:
[original link for larger version: http://postimg.org/image/nqc5i2kqt/ ]

This was so much fun to do, though it turned out to be a little more involved than I expected...after I put on the darker tints, I had to play around with adding a sort of greenish tinge to match the lighting, and I darkened the backgrounds a bit, because I thought the tint stuck out as looking a little unnatural if the surrounding values weren't altered accordingly. It also gave me a chance to get a closer look at the level of detail that went into the art, which is absolutely beautiful. (As much as I love graphic novels, I find one unfortunate aspect of the experience of reading one is that I just have a tendency to read through them pretty fast, and don't stop to appreciate the level of attention to detail and compositional considerations. Doing things like this gives me a bit of a chance to get a closer look. :J)

Artwork isn't mine, these are from the original Artemis Fowl graphic novels (numbers 1, 2, and 3 are from The Arctic Incident, 4
is from The Eternity Code, and 5 and 6 are from The Opal Deception), drawn by Giovanni Rigano, and colored by Paolo Lamanna. I only added the tints on the right-side images. c:
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [An Artemis Fowl fanfiction, set after The Atlantic Complex.]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28 ... temis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

KearaAdara
That D'arviting Person
Real First Name:Keara. -_-

Re: Holly Short graphic novel recolor

Postby KearaAdara » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:30 am

If I was white I would be afraid to say this, but I'm going to leverage on the fact that I am also a PoC to say that...

Oh gosh it looks so wrong.

I love the effort you put into it, but I don't know - after getting used to her skin tone int he previous graphic novels, it feels so novel and foreign, like a person with synesthesia might see a letter in the wrong colour. Nothing "bad" about it, just odd.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:27 am

Haha! That's an interesting perspective. I'm actually the opposite, I've read the books so many times (while the gns I've only gone through once or twice), the coffee/nut-brown color is so cemented in my mind that I just could never get used to the light skin in the graphic novel. (I'm Caucasian, and it's not that I'm trying to be politically correct or anything like that, it's just I can't picture Holly as white, so the gn Holly just was never Holly for me. I was slightly shocked by how much the Holly of the gn seemed to get closer to the Holly I imagined just by tweaking the colors a bit, since I'd thought until then it was just as much the hairstyle and facial expressions as skin color that kept me from relating to the character as the same character from the books.) But that synesthesia effect might just be my coloring, too. X3 I was trying to make it look natural and perfectly integrated as much as I could, but a professional colorist like the original artist might make the darker skin look better.

But, I'm glad you liked the original graphic novels, it's so refreshing to see that. :j (Seems like a lot of people didn't like them. X3 I mean, there are probably good things and bad things which make interesting discussions, but I'm just glad there are AF graphic novels.)
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [An Artemis Fowl fanfiction, set after The Atlantic Complex.]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28 ... temis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Troublelover16
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name:Faith
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Troublelover16

Postby Troublelover16 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:27 pm

Oh wow that looks great... That's actually closer to how I see her. Nice work!

Troublelover's Song of the Moment:
~A Million Dreams-The Greatest Showman~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSQk-4f ... &index=268
Spoiler:
They can say, they can say it all sounds crazy
They can say, they can say I've lost my mind
I don't care, I don't care, so call me crazy
We can live in a world that we design

'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
Oh, a million dreams for the world we're gonna make
2013 EA Winner of: The Friendly One, Best Taste in Avatars and Signatures,
Biggest AF Fanboy/Girl, Most Valued Non-Staff Contributor, Most Changed

2014/15 EA Winner of: Biggest Non-AF Fanboy/Girl

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:35 pm

Cool! I have to admit, I'm not used to seeing her this way, but I like that it's accurate. I've actually wondered before if there were any Photoshopped pictures of Holly out there.
I said you were smart, Mud Boy. I was wrong; are exceptional.—Qwan
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
We can only change the future, not the past or present.—Artemis Fowl II
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

AF Lover
Truly Devoted Fan

Postby AF Lover » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:37 pm

Wow, that looks... different. But I like it!

Could you also do Opal? She's supposed to have black hair instead of red, which has bothered me.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:51 am

Haha, thanks so much guys! :D Opal? Oh yeah, I noticed that. XD Sure! I'd love to do that. (She's also supposed to have chocolate-brown eyes, though that might be a little trickier to change, since from what I remember she doesn't have irises in the gn...but I might try to play around with that, too. c: )

KearaAdara
That D'arviting Person
Real First Name:Keara. -_-

Postby KearaAdara » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:09 am

Yeah, so many things wrong with the graphic novel...

Artemis is supposed to have blue eyes, but it's the same as Holly's.

And it is funny that Artemis is almost the same height as Holly... :P He's short, but not like.... (Holly) Short-short.

COME ON, THAT WAS A GOOD PUN. PLEASE.

In TAC it states that Artemis is 5'5". Which is.... Shocking. I always assumed Artemis would be taller, just because he's got that sort of a tall, commanding presence. I mean, I'm an Asian (you know. Asians having a smaller build and whatnot), a female, and a 13 (14, whatever) year old, and I'm something like 3-4cm taller than him. Which... Isn't all that much, but considering biology he should be a good 10-15cm taller than me.

I AM SO DISAPPOINTED.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:00 am

Haha! That's interesting, I guess Artemis's bearing can give such a strong impression on the mental image you get as you read... But, I think the books always did portray him kind of on the small side. (There's always such an emphasis put on the contrast between Butler's size and Artemis's; and the fear Artemis seems to inspire in others because of the unnerving way he handles himself is always portrayed as in contrast to his physical attributes.) And I don't think it's that uncommon for guys to have not hit their growth spurt at the age of 15; for some reason, girls often hit their growth spurts sooner, so at 15, they might actually be taller, then at 16 or 17, the guy will suddenly shoot up like a weed, and pass all the girls his age.

So, I imagine Artemis still has quite a bit of growing to do. (: (I admit, I never imagined Artemis as tall in the series, but I always thought he would grow quite a bit by the time he was an adult. You know, growing into that commanding presence he already has, hehe. But for some reason, weirdly, I tend to imagine Holly having fairly tall physical proportions... X3 [That is, having the leg-to-torso and so on ratios that a taller person would have, in spite of being a meter tall.] I'm not sure why...)

But yeah, I admit, the fact that Artemis and Holly are the same size in the graphic novel I always found a bit strange. I wondered why the artist decided on that, though I wondered if possibly it was just too hard to make it look real, at least consistently. (Placing little people next to regular sized people can look a little silly if you don't do it just right. I'm still in awe of how the Lord of the Rings movies people did the hobbits and the dwarves; it just looks so authentic. You don't think about things like that until you try to draw them yourself...I've tried sometimes, but it looks weird a lot of the time. X3)

Ah, so you're what, 5'6''? 5'7''? (Wow, actually, that's pretty tall. The average here in the US for a woman is 5'4''. But I'm sure Artemis will be taller than you in a year or two. ;j I wouldn't be surprised if he was already a fair bit taller in TLG. )

So. I said I would do a recoloring of Opal, so here it is. (: I didn't think it turned out as well as the Holly-recoloring (and I wasn't too sure how to go about doing the eyes :/), but I realize again I love doing this. XD! (And again, I realize the design actually looks a lot closer to how I picture the character when I change the colors, especially considering how much I tend to attribute the difference to other factors. X3)
Spoiler:
[original link: http://postimg.org/image/kcjf9sgy3/]

AliceFowl
Sprite

Postby AliceFowl » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:04 pm

This is another thing I hope they don't mess with in the movie. Heights. If they let a 5'10 Holly come striding into the room I'm going to hit whoever's sitting next to me in the theater, and then walk out. And then probably walk back in again out of obligation.

And 15 year old me may or may not have been a bit dorkily fangirly when I stopped growing at exactly a quarter of an inch shorter than Artemis... 18 year old me feels like a midget.

I feel like this post contributed nothing, but it's what I had to say...as you were.
it’s so nice to meet you, let’s never meet again

AF Lover
Truly Devoted Fan

Postby AF Lover » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:14 am

Spoiler:
Is it just me, or does she look eviler with black hair?

AliceFowl
Sprite

Postby AliceFowl » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:49 pm

She does. I think a lot of characters look more evil with black hair....and I think it suits her. I don't remember if it's ever said what her actual hair color is but I always saw it as fairly dark.
it’s so nice to meet you, let’s never meet again

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:45 am

Haha, thanks, guys! :D (More evil is good, right? In Opal's case anyway, hehe.)

Opal's hair color...I couldn't remember, so I went back to look it up. Near as I can tell, it's never mentioned in The Arctic Incident [which might explain why the artist/s went ahead and chose the color], but we get the color black from The Opal Deception.

Here are the places I found~ (:
[From chapter 5: Meet the Neighbors]
“Opal Koboi, I presume?” said Artemis; although, if Holly had not told him the whole story, he never would have guessed that the female before him was anything but a human child. Her black hair was braided down her back, and she wore […]

And also, [from chapter 7: The Temple of Artemis]
Opal leaned over, parting her jet-black hair to reveal a magically fading three-inch scar on her scalp.
I liked the idea of Opal's hair being black, as it creates more of a connection to Artemis. (Opal seems to be a foil for Artemis, with similarities that help accentuate their differences, so some physical similarities help feed into that.)

AF Lover
Truly Devoted Fan

Postby AF Lover » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:43 pm

[From chapter 5: Meet the Neighbors] Her black hair was braided down her back,

Kind of like my profile pic! Except she has two braids...

NerdGurl
Gremlin
Real First Name:Kaeli
AFC Fan Fiction Name:NerdGurl

Postby NerdGurl » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:58 pm

Rocket Axxonu, that looks way better! Thanks! Pink hair makes Opal look to quirky and fun. Black hair reveals her dark-side. :thumbsup:

(AFLover, I love your profile picture!) :lick:

Return to “Artemis Fowl Media”