Artemis Fowl Art

Submit your Artemis Fowl fan fiction and media here.
Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Artemis Fowl Art

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:51 am

Well, one of my favorite things in the world is drawing fanart for Artemis Fowl, and most of it winds up on my account on deviantArt (here: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl), but there's also a whole boatload of slush that, for one reason or another, never makes it over there. (Generally it's because I think I might come back to it later and find a way to make it better, or there's some glaring flaw that I can't seem to hammer out.) I haven't been in the habit of putting any of my unfinished work up on dA, but I've been thinking for a while that here might be a good alternative. <: (Where people's hopefully inboxes won't get flooded. XD)

[Note, right click and select 'open image in new window' to get the full size image, or at least that seems to work on my browser.]

1. First, Artemis Fowl:

Spoiler:
Just a colored sketch of him I did a while back. I realized that though I was doing a lot of AF-related fanart, I hadn't done him in a while...Just my usual fallback of cell-shading, with indistinct cloud background.

2. Minerva.

Spoiler:
As for character design, this one is probably the closest to how I imagine her. (Corkscrew/curly hair kills me, even when I have a reference to go from, but this one turned out better than anything I've done before.) However, I never did figure out what colors would best suit her. I tried pastels at first, then I went for something darker, but I'm just not sure if Minerva has a signature color that would seem most natural for her. (What colors would a wealthy, French-born girl wear...? What image is in the public consciousness?) Also wasn't sure what color to do with the background (which is the main reason I've held back from posting it on dA), I had a parchment-yellow at first, but wasn't too sure about that. My style seems given to black and I like black, but I don't think that would suit Minerva, but I'm not sure the Shadow-Realm look is much better. X3

3. Briar Cudgeon.

Spoiler:

Well, I don't know how much description we have of him from the books (I'm still looking though), but as he's an old friend of Julius Root's, I figured he was fairly old, with gray hair. (Though he had red hair and looked quite a bit younger in the official graphic novels.) As he's portrayed as kind of a politician, who had aims to becoming the Council Chairman, I figured he should have a confident, sort of distinguished look, before the accident that messes up his face.

4. Opal.
Spoiler:

I've drawn Opal quite a bit, trying to get her to look right, but it's surprisingly hard. (The main reason I didn't post this one is that it seemed too plain to me, I wanted there to be more elements. But, it seems most of my art lately is very spartan. I'll start drawing multiple objects or backgrounds, but they look so bad I give up and just put something simple instead. I have to give myself a B- for effort lately.)

5. Random~

Spoiler:
Just a collection of AF sketches I put together. I really wanted to teach myself to learn to do some new kind of digital art (besides the cell-shading type of art that I've become entrenched in recently), so I thought I would color these more 3-dimensionally, which I did on the Hollys in the middle, and on one Chix, and on No1 near the bottom. But they just weren't looking all that good to me, so I ended up giving up. (The sketch of Opal on the bottom is the one that ended up turning into the picture above.)

6. Juliet Butler. Again, trying to get myself to work more three-dimensionally, so I set out to do a digital painting of a photograph of a girl. (Because it's more fun to relate it to AF, I chose a photograph from my source collection of photos I think look like AF characters.) This actually turned out much, much better than the last time I tried to do this (See here http://axxonu.deviantart.com/art/A-Fowl-profile-274253559 and here http://axxonu.deviantart.com/art/Profile-Captain-Short-274247478), but still I wasn't happy with the facial features. (The eyes particularly...I really can't do real eyes.)

Spoiler:

7. Jon Spiro and Arno Blunt.

Spoiler:

I've really been wanting to do characters that you don't seen drawn too often, and it shocks me just how hard it is to change your presets for drawing body types. (For Spiro, I used the drawing that turned out the best.) I didn't have a particularly strong mental picture for Jon Spiro, but I knew he wore white suits and gold jewelry, and he's from Chicago, so I went for a Chicago-mob type hat, and a cigar. (Even though Spiro's not supposed to smoke cigars because of his health, I thought maybe the books said he did chew on the end of unlit cigars, though I'm not entirely sure.) Arno Blunt came more easily, though in the end I was less happy with him...(B- for effort on him, sorry Rocket.) I'm not used to drawing tattoos; you'd think those would be the funnest part, but I had such trouble with those, too...

Wasn't sure what to do for the background, but I ended up putting a stone wall with some graffiti-type looking words, since I thought that might give it a Chicago backstreet type of a feel...However, it came out looking pretty flat, so I wasn't all that happy with that, either.

Don't ask about Blunt's non-existent hand/stump of an arm. I tried to draw in the hand from that angle, but it didn't want to work. X3 (So maybe Blunt should start thinking about getting a hook in addition to shark teeth. XD)

8. The Leather Souk disguises.

Spoiler:

In the middle of TTP when Artemis and Holly go to the Souk in Fez to get Jayjay during the handoff, they dress up in disguises to help them blend in, so I had a drawing of Holly in an abaya and a headscarf for awhile. (Holding the button-bombs of course.) But it was kind of plain on its own, so eventually I ended up putting it together with a picture of Artemis, then sort of scribbled in some silhouetted buildings and a red sky (in the book, I think the trade was taking place during evening, so I always imagined a sunset), and this kind of title-page-looking thing came together.

Again, I was trying to change up my usual style a little, so I used softer, more transparent shading (rather than my hard-edged cell shading I was more used to), but in the end it looked more scribbly than anything to me, so I never went any further with it.

9. A scene from TAC, where Turnball Root places a rune on Holly's neck to control her, and she's seized in a black magic fit.

Spoiler:

I did a lot of sketches of Holly for this scene, but it's amazing how hard it is to make such a high-motion image look natural. (They look so stiff, and not at all like you'd picture from the book.) I very quickly traced the lines of the Holly sketch I thought looked the best, and added Turnball Root's boot to give the scene more context (and add more elements). But, in the end, I wasn't all that happy with the composition (it's so close up, you couldn't really get much of a sense of space), and the linework was obviously hurried and kind of messy, and I didn't know where to go with the image next to make it better, so it just kind of got left.

10. Lastly, and my most recent addition, Fowl Manor.

Spoiler:

I've been trying to draw the manor for SO LONG, but I never could come up with anything worth showing anyone. After looking at multiple sources over and over and over, I finally did a sketch in my notebook that was actually good enough to make me feel like coloring it. Because this was just a fairly quick sketch in my notebook, I didn't bother with any horizon line-vanishing point stuff, which is why the perspective looks a little off, and the main reason I decided this wasn't going to go on dA. However, as far as drawing something different from what I usually draw (and drawing AF settings, which is always my goal), I'm not entirely unhappy with it. (Yes, I did try to look up what a Bentley looks like, and yes, those are peacocks. In TEC, when Loafers goes to Fowl Manor, he takes note of a water feature with peacocks as he's going around to confront Mulch. I also placed silver ash trees along the road, as those are mentioned as being a type of tree found on Fowl Manor grounds near the building, but I think if I go to draw this angle of the manor again, I would put cherry trees there instead, as I think that would be more accurate based on descriptions from book 1. [Should I give them pink blossoms, like the Sakura trees in Japan? Because I think that would be awesome. Though I'm guessing hard for me to draw. XD]

So anyway, ultimately a fairly quick, sketchy thing, but again, something different from what I usually do, and now that I'm starting to get a design for Fowl Manor that I like, I'll have something to work with for next time. (I really want to draw a larger chunk of the estate, to give myself a better idea of what it looks like, but I just can't get it to look right just yet...)

That's all for now. I might find some others and put them up too, we'll see. (Some of these I may still try to finish and put up on dA, but for now I'll probably leave them alone, and try to get to work on some new stuff.)
Last edited by Rocket Axxonu on Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

FadingLight
Mud Man

Re: Artemis Fowl Art

Postby FadingLight » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:34 am

This stuff is really good! I especially like the one of Jon Spiro and Arno Blunt, especially Spiro's evil smile. Like, I will steal your technology and leave you to be shot and I… don't… care.
I said you were smart, Mud Boy. I was wrong; are exceptional.—Qwan
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
We can only change the future, not the past or present.—Artemis Fowl II
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:33 am

Thanks so much! :D Lol, oh Spiro...he's one of those characters where I almost didn't know where to begin, but it's so fun to draw new things sometimes.
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Sun May 10, 2015 11:24 pm

Also: you have a source collection of photos that look like AF characters?
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

AF Lover
Truly Devoted Fan
Real First Name: Lucy

Postby AF Lover » Mon May 11, 2015 3:52 am

AWESOME. I wish I could draw like that!

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Thu May 14, 2015 4:20 am

Haha, thanks! ^^

Fading: Lol, sort of. From time to time I go searching online for photographs of people that I think look like AF characters, or have some aspect I think looks like a character (like if I see a leotard I might use for Juliet's jade princess outfit, or a police uniform that might have parts that could work with Julius Root), or settings/objects for particular scenes. So I have a collection of folders with a hodgepodge of google photos...I'm not all that good about putting them to good use, though. X3

NerdGurl
Gremlin
Real First Name: Kaeli
AFC Fan Fiction Name: NerdGurl

Postby NerdGurl » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:37 am

Cool art! It's really good. :loveeyes:

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:46 pm

Hee, thanks so much!! :blush:

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:24 pm

Are you planning to post any more here?

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:41 am

Definitely! :D I'm thinking of kind of making this my dumping ground for my unfinished AF projects that I don't want to put on dA just yet. I just sort of go in streaks, and for the last little while most of my time has been going into writing, so I haven't had much artwork to show...but hopefully I'll get a few new things going before too long. :J

Minervalover
Centaur
Location: Hogwarts, Camp-Half Blood, T.A.R.D.I.S, Dauntless hedquarters, Asgard, Middle Earth, Haven, 221B.

Postby Minervalover » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:18 am

if awesomeness could kill and be sent through drawings i'd be dead by now
i think we all know who to vote for the best artist for 2015 EA
you're drawings are just...just...
*jaw drops*(i can't find the smily for it)
i have tried digital art but I'm such a failure i went for traditional, but congrats on mastering it!!!i envy you omg HOW?! THOSE DRAWING ARE TOO AWESOME THEY'RE ILLEGAL!!
I'm not "brave". I'm Gryffindor.
I'm not "different". I'm Divergent
I'm not "mortal." I'm a Half-Blood.
I'm not a "psychopath". I'm a High-functioning Fangirl.
I'm not a "freak". I'm an Avian American.
I'm not a "Midgardian". I'm an Asguardian.
I'm not a "criminal". I'm Juvenile Genius.
I'm not a "man". I am an Elf
And I am definitely a Madman with a Box

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:50 pm

Hee, thank you so much!! Yeah, I've found trying to branch out to work using different types of media than you're used to is so much harder than you think it will be...(I had an art teacher who said once that in order to improve your art you have to get a lot worse first, and I think that's really true.) Like, for the past year or two I've really wanted to do more digital painting type of stuff (as opposed to cell shading) because I really like how that looks, but it's honestly taken months of hammering away before I've started to get more comfortable with it. I'm thinking I'll probably post some of what I've been working on in my next art dump on here...we'll see.

I like your art too, the portrait of Sherlock (I think that's who it is, I've never watched the show, though I hear it's amazing) is so good. (Honestly, I'm bad at portraiture. Even when I'm drawing from a photo, it never seems to look like the person. I think the left side of my brain has become stunted in recent years...too much drawing anime, I suppose. XD)

artytwin
Commander
Real First Name: Fatima

Postby artytwin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:15 am

FOWL MANOR :loveeyes: I'm in love with it because it's THE EXACT WAY I IMAGINED IT OMG
I loved Juliet so much! And the first one of Arty :loveeyes:
Great work *thumbs up*

Minervalover
Centaur
Location: Hogwarts, Camp-Half Blood, T.A.R.D.I.S, Dauntless hedquarters, Asgard, Middle Earth, Haven, 221B.

Postby Minervalover » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:46 pm

yeah okay but the sherlock thingy took 6 freakin hours for me and that was from a tutorial on dragoart.com and it looks very far from the origional and that was once in a while
u, on the other hand, cAN DRAW JULIET BUTLER LIKE WOAH WTH AND FOWL MANOR (the way you drew it is almost the way i imagined it, but in my mind it was longer. THAT DOESN'T MEAN ITS NOT WOW)
AND SHUSH UR JUST SO AWESOME SHUSH SHUSH PEOPLE KNEEL BEFORE YOU LIKE HOW DO YOU GET STRAIGHT LINED ON DIGI ANYWAYS
I'm not "brave". I'm Gryffindor.
I'm not "different". I'm Divergent
I'm not "mortal." I'm a Half-Blood.
I'm not a "psychopath". I'm a High-functioning Fangirl.
I'm not a "freak". I'm an Avian American.
I'm not a "Midgardian". I'm an Asguardian.
I'm not a "criminal". I'm Juvenile Genius.
I'm not a "man". I am an Elf
And I am definitely a Madman with a Box

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:17 am

Lol, thanks so much!! I'm glad you like them that much...(Six hours, eh? That's awesome, I think real artists have long attention spans. ;j Or so I have to believe, because it take me ages to do anything. [I work over things for so many months, I don't even know how many hours I spend altogether...])

Straight lines on digital media, that's a good question, I was asking that for years. XD (In fact, I tried to look up shortcuts and tutorials on the subject.) I discovered some kind of tablet is a must (I used to think I could learn to draw with a mouse, but that was a self delusion), but other than that, it seems like it just takes a _lot_ of practice. You just force yourself to draw straight lines, both on paper and on digital, even if it takes you forever, and eventually your hand will get so it sort of remembers the movements and does it with less strain. Though to be honest, when I'm drawing digital lines, more often than not they look squiggly, and I'll have to undo a line several times before I'll be able to draw it so it looks how I want. So it often takes me a long time to ink something.

Oh, but awhile back, someone actually pointed me to a program that works with photoshop that's supposed to help keep the lines looking straight instead of jittery, but unfortunately I wasn't able to try it out because there was only a windows version of it, and I use photoshop on a mac...

Return to “Artemis Fowl Media”