AF Musical Script

Submit your Artemis Fowl fan fiction and media here.
Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Re: AF Musical Script

Postby Merv Simestra » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:14 am

Athena32 wrote:Yeah, I'm 12 and have been in 12 musicals so far. ...

Do you have any advice?

That is impressive. :)

I would suggest keep writing. I tried to do write a musical on my own, and I failed miserably because I wasn't experienced in that way. Since you've been in a lot more musicals than I have (and I'm 20), you have more knowledge and experience. So, just keep writing and working at it. You'll get better it at it the more often you write. :) That's about it. Oh, and listen to advice from other writers as well. You're never too young to learn. :)

Anyways, enough of me talking. Keep working! You're doing a great job! :)
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Athena32
Goblin
AFC Fan Fiction Name: MyshiCorp

Postby Athena32 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:45 pm

What did you think of the duet? Is it cliché?
Also, any tips on "The Briefing"? Is it clear enough for a non AF reader?
All of my friends have either read the AF series or started it and put it down, so I can't test it on them.
The hard part is that these scenes are a little ways into the musical, and so I've got to decide what context it has.
I'm fine, seeing as you asked.-Foaly
Gnommish… Gnommish… What blasted translation system doesn’t have Gnommish?

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:09 pm

The duet was really good. I never really saw the similarities between Artemis's and Holly's situations until I read it. It would probably sound awesome sung.

I don't really know what I would make of any of the scenes if I hadn't read AF, given that I have read it and now it's permanently etched in my brain. In a good way.
I said you were smart, Mud Boy. I was wrong; are exceptional.—Qwan
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
We can only change the future, not the past or present.—Artemis Fowl II
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

Athena32
Goblin

Postby Athena32 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:57 pm

Thanks! I've got a melody put together, but I haven't written it down yet. I was surprised by how similar their situations too. It started out with me wanting to write a song for holly, but realizing that a 3 minute rant about sexism is a bit too much. I had to include more, and this way I have one less scene to write. I pretty much took 2 parts that involve no action and threw them together.
I think instead of testing it on someone else now, I'll wait until I've finished it, and then test it.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:02 am

Ha! Merv is right, this is really good. I'm probably like the others and can't really say if a non-AF fan would get what was going on, because I'm too familiar with AF to judge that—but I really like how you structured the opening. Rather than just trying to follow the book word for word, it's formatted to suit a musical. My favorite bit so far is probably the duet... (I've thought about the parallels in Artemis and Holly's experiences and attitudes before too, I like how it matches the story of the original AF, while also bringing something new at the same time.)

Advice, huh...well, I really like what you have so far, so the only thing I would consider mentioning is the format/presentation. Organizing an unusual piece of writing (such as a play or musical like this) is tricky, because there are just so many elements you have to weave together...Music, singing, acting, setting setup...you have so many things to communicate. I see why you went with colorcoding, since it seems to cut down a lot of the clutter (I know it can get sort of clunky with too many tags and such), but I think having so many colors also made it a little harder to keep track of. (I know I had to refer back to the key more than once to remember which was which.) I did a couple of google searches to see how musical scripts are usually done and I was surprised to find that apparently there isn't a standardized form...I read one author [from this article: http://kierenmacmillan.info/perfect-musical-libretto-format/]who favored this form here: http://kierenmacmillan.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/LuckyStiff_page6_KM.pdf?015eb1)

I guess in that format, the first bit would look sort of like this:

#1. THE BRIEFING AT FOWL MANOR

(Artemis enunciating clearly, very professional. He is standing beside a mini lectern, B, J standing in front of him, facing downstage)

*A/N: Feel free to make up a melody for this

ARTEMIS
LEPrecons. Are not what you think.

(3 classically dressed LEP come out, pose in fairy-esq pose, freeze)

ARTEMIS (CONT'D)
Their armed

(1 LEP pulls out gun, shoots up in the air (MACHINE GUN NOISES!!!!), then blows off the top like you see in westerns)

ARTEMIS (CONT'D)
Have sinister powers

[continued]

Or something like that, lol.

In this form, regular speech is shown by having the character's name out to the side in the normal way, in caps and bold to help see it easily, while singing is set off by having the text indented and the name of the character centered over the singing portions, and settings and actions are shown by text in parentheses and italics. (I thought a way to also include author's notes without interrupting the flow too much would be to set them off with an asterisk and set them off to the opposite side, in smaller print, though the format described on the site didn't address that.)

Anyway, seems like there's lots of options, and there's always time to tinker and play around with formatting to get it the way you want. :j I could see blending the version above with colorcoding, say, using italics and parentheses to set off actions and setting descriptions, but instead of indenting for singing parts, setting them off in blue [you're actually supposed to indent them with tabs, but I couldn't figure out how to format that on this site, since I don't usually use tabs, so I just centered them], while leaving the regular spoken portions black, like you had it before. Or maybe a different combination, I think there's quite a few different methods out there.

But anyway, just a thought. Really like this so far, can't wait to see more! c:
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Athena32
Goblin

Postby Athena32 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:16 am

Okay. I'll try reformatting it. It was a bit hard before since I was typing things on my iPod. It's hard to do different fonts/italics.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:50 am

Wow, ipod...I don't even want to think about it. X3 (I'm bad enough typing things out on a smartphone. When I try to do searches on my sister's phone, she usually ends up grabbing it away from me again because I take so long. XD)
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Athena32
Goblin

Postby Athena32 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:47 am

Yeah, I'm almost as bad. I've been slowly getting better, though.

Return to “Artemis Fowl Media”