Do I have a 6th sense?

Current affairs and on-topic discussion goes here!
Elin_Darling
Golden Acorn Officer
Real First Name: Melanie

Re: Do I have a 6th sense?

Postby Elin_Darling » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:51 pm

I'd have to agree with the "no sixth sense" crowd. My friends like to call me psychic for similar things, but in actuality it's just that I have better intuitive application of observation.

For example:

My friends like writing. Some of them are actually rather good at it. Because they like writing, though, they also like telling me about the stories they're planning on writing or are currently working on. However, I have a hard time pretending to be very interested in what they're currently saying because I have a really good idea of where it's headed. I usually end up interrupting them and telling them what's going to happen in the last half of their plot. And then they tend to get either shocked that I knew or mad that I make it sound so predictable.

It's not a sixth sense, it's so many years of reading that I can apply the standard plot formula for the genre they're working in to the information they give me to begin with. No matter how "original" they are, there are only so many ways their story can play out. I merely apply what I know of them, what I know of the genre, and what I know of their characters and ---voila--- "psychic".

The same kind of thing happens at traffic lights, in movies, standing in line, etc. Once you've been in a situation enough times, if you're observant, it'll become SOP to have a pretty good idea how it's going to play out.

also--when it comes to talking about teachers and them catching you at inconvenient times, I have only two words: Murphey's Law.

Raspberrih
Swear Toad
Real First Name: Helen

Postby Raspberrih » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:17 am

I think it's coincidence most of the time, but this once, when I was about eight or so, my teacher played a game online with us in class. It was one of those memory things, where you flip the cards over and match them up. So I was called. I was the second person, and so far only two cards had been flipped over. I chose this random card, then I desperately wanted the second card to match. I had a pic of the screen in my mind, and out of nowhere this card started glowing yellow, so I was like, hey, that looks good. Turns out my two cards matched.

It's most probably coincidence, though it might be subconscious or something (the book Blink was pretty good at explaining that stuff)
~ Spreading the looove ~

Mere Reflection
Special Agent of Mr. Shiny

Postby Mere Reflection » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:18 am

This probably doesn't fit under the category of 6th sense, but I hear voices in my head. And no, I'm not insane. :lick:

I'm just walking along, or doing something and I hear someone shout my name in my head. But noone is there.

One in five have this, according to a report I read. It really freaks me out though. Imagine-

Talking to friend casually
You hear your name yelled.
You're like, hello? Who said that
Friend looks at you weirdly.

Does anyone else get that? Or am I just... unique 8)
Thanks to Cat Moon & Raineesun for helping me do this XD
Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Evening news is where they begin with 'good evening' then proceed to tell you why it isn't.
Always remember you are utterly unique. Just like everyone else.
Why are you still reading this?
Nothing is impossible, yet everything is a lie. Fishies! :D
A/H forever

Griffar
Commander
Real First Name: Alex
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Griffar

Postby Griffar » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:28 am

Arty1995 wrote:I tell my friends our teacher is coming. I didn't know if she really was or not, 5 seconds later she comes around the corner.

Let's pop a little psychology into the mix. What I've put into itallics is basically you lying (although, without other external factors, I couldn't properly accuse you of lying so don't take it as an accusation.) When people say things like that it is to make people feel assured that there is no lie behind what you are saying. It's sort of like saying Mark my words and now you listen to me. To a simple person, it pushes away any doubt that they might be lying because their speech washes people's thoughts and makes you look certain of what you are saying.

Also, I agree with cezen in using this as an example of a sixth sense. You're at school, so your teacher has a schedule to follow in order for you to learn. So your teacher was bound to come to the class in at least under five minutes. Really this is not a credible example for a sixth sense.

I know you love one hundreds and thousands

Your Tears don't fall, they crash aroud me

Her conscience calls, the guilty to come home

gotta love Bullet For My Valentine

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:35 am

I think he definitely has a sixth sense.

I'm, in fact, jealous. :blush:
Truth is: Texas sucks.

How is Gunny feeling on First Earth?

Griffar
Commander
Real First Name: Alex
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Griffar

Postby Griffar » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:56 am

Lol who has a sixth sense??

I think a sixth sense should be reserved for mediums, but anyhow, they are still rather more perceptive than anything else, and watch peoples body behaviours, say things, and see how they react, and keep moving, saying what you want to hear. So many times when you see people being relayed messages from the dead, they more often than not crying because they are so happy about what they hear.

I know you love one hundreds and thousands

Your Tears don't fall, they crash aroud me

Her conscience calls, the guilty to come home

gotta love Bullet For My Valentine

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi
Real First Name: Phoebe
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:53 am

Mere Reflection wrote:This probably doesn't fit under the category of 6th sense, but I hear voices in my head. And no, I'm not insane. :lick:

I'm just walking along, or doing something and I hear someone shout my name in my head. But noone is there.

One in five have this, according to a report I read. It really freaks me out though. Imagine-

I get that too! All the time! I don't just here my name, I also here laughter or screaming or chatting...

My sixth sense: I occasionally have a dream about every day life. I wake up, and go to bed. Then it hits me: my dream last night was the day I just had today. It's really scary...
I see you too! XD

Purple_Enigma
Pixie

Postby Purple_Enigma » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:39 pm

opalkoboi wrote:
Mere Reflection wrote:This probably doesn't fit under the category of 6th sense, but I hear voices in my head. And no, I'm not insane. :lick:

I get that too! All the time! I don't just here my name, I also here laughter or screaming or chatting...

My sixth sense: I occasionally have a dream about every day life. I wake up, and go to bed. Then it hits me: my dream last night was the day I just had today. It's really scary...

ME too!! My name, sometimes, but mostly noises that aren't there. I hear the telephone ringing, get up and walk all the way over there, and voila, no ring -__-
TAC
Spoiler:
'I must go,Butler,' said Artemis firmly.'My mind is eating me alive.I think the guilt is the main problem.I must do whatever I can to atone.'
'And?' said Butler,unconvinced.
Artemis held his arms out so that Foaly could drape the suit sleeves over them.
'And I will not be beaten by that jackass.'
'Jackass?'said Foaly,wounded.‘My favourite uncle is a jackass.'

From here
Spoiler:
If asked in class what the Avada Kedavra curse does, yelling "It does DEATH!" may be correct but is not the manner in which one should answer.
The proper way to report to Professor McGonagall is "You wanted to see me, Professor?" Not "I have it on good authority that you have no evidence."
I will not tell the Ravenclaws that they're basically useless because Hogwarts' smartest student is in another house.
I will not conjure up lemons and say-Life hath given thou LEMONS!

EA 2011 - The Member who is Always in the Know :D :D

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi
Real First Name: Phoebe
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:53 pm

OMG yes! Sometimes I hear the phone ringing too, or knocking on the door. I wonder what the science is behind it? Maybe transmissions in the brain get lost and activate the memory, making you hear speech; that's just a theory but it makes sense...
I see you too! XD

Arty1995
Centaur

Postby Arty1995 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:24 pm

opalkoboi wrote:

Nice useless bump there. Good stuff! :eyeroll:
Eternity Awards - Strangest member, 2010, 2011
Eternity Awards - Most Changed member, 2011
Eternity Awards - Looovers <3 [DATA EXPUNGED], Conquer the world! 2012

15bubbles
Mud Man
Real First Name: J.H.

Postby 15bubbles » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:40 am

I have only ever had three instances where it might be counted as supernatural-like.
1. I had a dream I was in a library and I was eavesdropping on someone. They kept repeating the phrase "Dive into Reading" again and again in their conversation. I assumed they were talking about a summer reading program. The next day the principal announces what this year's reading program would be called; Dive into Reading.
2. I had a dream of a hermit crab scuttling across the end of my bed.I didn't want it to fall off either side because I sleep on the top of a bunk bed and it was a six foot drop to the ground. Then the next day, walking home from school with one of my friends, she mentioned she was thinking of getting a hermit crab as a pet. She'd never mentioned wanting one before.
3. Dreamt of having steamboat soup. Next day had some for dinner when we hadn't had it for months. :laughing:
When I'm stressed, I laugh. When I'm happy, I laugh. When I'm nervous, I laugh. If I find something funny, I can't stop laughing.

If you find any poisonous plants in your tea, just to let you know, it wasn't me.

Don't pop my bubbles. I'll get depressed.

Multiverse
Elf

Postby Multiverse » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:02 pm

On the whole subject of 'hearing voices' - that happens to me, too. I hear the voices of friends and relatives, usually calling out my name, but sometimes speaking in sentences - and it´s the wierdest sentences, too. Last night, for instance, I clearly heard a female voice screaming 'HELP ME', eventually taking a deep breath and bursting into tears. That was, needless to say, pretty scary (and also woke me up just as I had almost fallen asleep).

However, I don´t believe it´s anything supernatural at all. From what I know (not much, admitted), Heiki´s theory above seems somewhat plausible. I guess it´s something subconscious getting mixed up with the voices you hear often enough. It only happens to me when I´m really tired, too, and my brain is most likely to mess things up (for instance, Deja Vú is also more frequent during the night - at least, in my case it is).

-Multiverse

hyunjoonglovie
Elf
Real First Name: Jess :P

Postby hyunjoonglovie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:17 am

It's like when you walk into an abandoned house and start hearing noises. You remember all the horror movie's you've watched, automatically put two and two together, and come to the conclusion that the noises are because of a ghost. Your sub-conscious is evil XD

I've only had dreams and stuff, but 2 nights ago the most paranoid thing happened. It was like 2:30am and I was about to go to bed, when I had this feeling like there was a spider or bug in my room. Naturally, I got the torch and looked for the mo-fo, but I didn't find anything. I ended up getting into bed and was listening to my ipod when I felt something crawling on me. I grabbed it, threw it at the wall and turned on the lights to discover the BIGGEST freaking cockroach you've EVER frigging seen. I killed it and went to sleep :).. But yeah, freaky.

@Bubbles, yeah I've had weird dreams as well, but like Multi, mostly those types of things only happen when I'm tired and about to go to sleep (like the other night).

OH!! I bet everyone has had the feeling that they're being watched?? I hate that, it freaks me out and I look like a psycho while I look around randomly for the creep XD
We all have a dark side...

Spoiler:
That awkward moment when someone says "hi" to you, and you reply with "I'm good"... -_-

That shite moment in an argument when you realise you are wrong...

That awesome moment when the teacher asks you a question, thinking you weren't being attentive. Then you answer it right, it's like "What now! WIN!!!"

That depressing moment when your mum scribbles on the award your school gave you in congratulations for all your hard work, just to get her stupid pen to work D':

But you love me XD

bluealice
Sprite
Real First Name: Alsacia

Postby bluealice » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:32 pm

IzzyTehMuse wrote:I would suspect that you probably have better than average observation of patterns and trends. I'd wager that some do have a brain that readily picks up on patterns and then extrapolates them, giving rise to an idea of having a "6th sense."
First scenario: this one probably isn't so much observation of trends as it is luck. I'd be more inclined to be "wow!" if you predicted one of the other kids in the class. We have a tendency to pick ourselves (either first or last), so that's what I suspect is going on there. Luck plus your brain either being excited (I KNOW IT!) or fatalistic (It'll be me....-.-)

Second scenario: I'd need to hear more about the situation.

Third scenario: you seem to be a pretty avid gamer, so I suspect that your brain has probably picked up on the randomizing programs that may be in the game. Even if you hadn't been to that level before, there are only a certain number of combinations that occur, and if you have played enough, you most likely will pick up on where things "should" be according to the program. I know that when I've had some gaming marathons, that's kinda happened to me.

So, in short: yes and no. Yes, I'd suspect that your observation and pattern-sensing skills are better than average, but I'm not going to mark it down to something supernatural like esp. :]

I agree. You're smart Izzy
ZZZ

faeryenchanter^^
Centaur
Real First Name: Kat
AFC Fan Fiction Name: faeryenchanter

Postby faeryenchanter^^ » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:08 am

Just saying, but.... Don't dogs usually have a 6th sense?
All that jazz!

Return to “City Central”