Do I have a 6th sense?

Current affairs and on-topic discussion goes here!
Arty1995
Centaur
Do I have a 6th sense?

Postby Arty1995 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:33 am

Today i've been predicting about stuff and it's all happened!

In scripter, I predicted (in my head) my teacher would choose me to write something on the board, then out of no where he chooses me.

I tell my friends our teacher is coming. I didn't know if she really was or not, 5 seconds later she comes around the corner.

When I was playing a game, I did not know where my enemies were, I thought to myself "upper building, car down street and poking out of alley way" I look around and saw them all in those spots.

A few others that I remember but cannot bring to mind.
Do I have a 6th sense, or am I just good at guessing?
Eternity Awards - Strangest member, 2010, 2011
Eternity Awards - Most Changed member, 2011
Eternity Awards - Looovers <3 AlaMulyMala, Conquer the world! 2012

IzzyTehMuse
Applied Phlebotinum
Applied Phlebotinum

Re: Do I have a 6th sense?

Postby IzzyTehMuse » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:27 pm

I would suspect that you probably have better than average observation of patterns and trends. I'd wager that some do have a brain that readily picks up on patterns and then extrapolates them, giving rise to an idea of having a "6th sense."
First scenario: this one probably isn't so much observation of trends as it is luck. I'd be more inclined to be "wow!" if you predicted one of the other kids in the class. We have a tendency to pick ourselves (either first or last), so that's what I suspect is going on there. Luck plus your brain either being excited (I KNOW IT!) or fatalistic (It'll be me....-.-)

Second scenario: I'd need to hear more about the situation.

Third scenario: you seem to be a pretty avid gamer, so I suspect that your brain has probably picked up on the randomizing programs that may be in the game. Even if you hadn't been to that level before, there are only a certain number of combinations that occur, and if you have played enough, you most likely will pick up on where things "should" be according to the program. I know that when I've had some gaming marathons, that's kinda happened to me.

So, in short: yes and no. Yes, I'd suspect that your observation and pattern-sensing skills are better than average, but I'm not going to mark it down to something supernatural like esp. :]
"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all of those things—trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones[." - Puddleglum, The Silver Chair

"I have had to believe a great deal in God because I have lost my belief in men." -Elias, Noli Me Tangere

"The price of freedom is learning to coexist with that which you hate." -- My
cousin.
*rapes* I love you, Izzy. :P

Voldy
Here's my card.
Here's my card.

Postby Voldy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:15 am

Yeah, I don't think it is any kind of supernatural, sixth sense, ESP type of thing. I agree with Izzy's explanations. I mean, I often predict the outcome of things--what someone is going to say next, if I feel that a teacher is going to call on me, etc. But that doesn't mean I'm psychic. It's just an intuitive sense of, as Izzy said, being able to pick up on patterns, or simply being able to analyze a situation and extrapolate the outcome. I'm pretty sure everyone has moments like that...

GottaLoveArtemis
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name:Kathryn
AFC Fan Fiction Name:GottaLoveArtemis

Postby GottaLoveArtemis » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:46 am

I agree with everyone and you might just be having a lucky day...they do happen. I have that kind of "sense" too but I believe it's just good guessing.
Also, for the first scenario, if you thought the teacher was going to call on you then your body language might have been saying, "Call on me!" and they did. Teachers pick up on those sort of things (I should know my mom is one). Same for the second scenario. And for the third scenario, it could be the explanations above or just random luck.
Artemis Fowl is my NEIGHBOR.

I rock
Pixie
Real First Name:Ponmathi
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Captain Grammar

Postby I rock » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:07 pm

Weird......My best friend says I've got a weird teacher desease. Everytime I utter a teacher or their subject they pop out of nowhere! If I say it deliberately it won't work but otherwise it does!
Talk about history projects I see miss robbins behind me.

'English is sooooooooo easy' I say and Mr. Sloan is behind me.

' I like My new math teacher, he's cool' I say. then:'You do, do you? says mr.warriner.

my friend says I just stalk them! How rude is she? *walks of grumbling*
ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

I <3 The Blind Guardian....don't know what it is? GOOGLE TO DA RESCUE...
You can't spell Party without Arty....lolz
I <3 You
Yes, I mean you, you hunk...
AM I CREEPING YOU OUT YET?

bentj96
Ruler of the People
Real First Name:Steven
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Dark Star

Postby bentj96 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:02 am

I think, Arty1995, that you could be unconsciously psychic. I really wouldn't call it a sense, because you aren't aware of it until it happens. If you had the 6th sense, you could tune into it or control it right? You could have random psychic powers when ever you want. I believe it's 1 in 100 people who have this trait. All I know is that it's quite high XD.

Scenario 1: You could have known subconsciously that your teacher would come back around the time that you thought of it.

Scenario 2: easily explainable. Experience and practice will do that to you. And sometimes it's just a slight adrenaline rush. It's like in sports. For me, I'm not the best at sports. I still up there though. But sometimes, I just get inspiration? or adrenaline maybe. That's enough to score a goal or get past the defense men on instinct.

I play CoD6 when I have free time, it's been a while since it came out and I'm finding I have no homework, ever. So turning and shooting people is instinctive, and knowing where people normally do or usually hide is easy. Most people who aren't very good at Call of Duty always hide in these places and so their behavior is easy to track and remember.

I do this often. I also play MMOs. After playing a certain classes, PvP comes naturally. And enough experience from that will also make you much better. Generally all humans are similar, using similar strategies or abilities. And you also know your character well enough, that you know what to press or use for every situation.
Also known as Dark Star.

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

I WON the game.

Glow sticks glow when snapped. Why can't my leg?

"How? She gonna blink Morse code?" -Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break: The Final Break)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~lorddarkstar

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:42 am

^^^^I'm guessing you don't know what psychic means?

Either way, guess I should be blunt and honest and actually give my opinion on the actual thread.
I think the aformentioned thread is ridiculous in the sense that the OP is like "I'm making lucky guesses, do I have sixth sense?"

Now, let's look closely at this: "I tell my friends our teacher is coming. I didn't know if she really was or not," So, you're basically saying that you guessed that you're teacher was coming - to what I assume to be the class he/she teaches around the time he/she teaches - and was correct? And that made you wonder whether you had a supernatural sense?

Doesn't the fact that you didn't actually even know if it would happen answer the question?
I mean, it'd be a different think if you were like, "I saw this or that happen in my mind, and then it happened in real life", but no you're just like describing your predictions as obvious lucky guesses.

I predict that someonelse will post in this thread. Can I haz sixth sense when it happens?
Truth is: Texas sucks.

How is Gunny feeling on First Earth?

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:54 am

Um..cezen..I was making doubts about when the teacher came. How do you know that she didn't leave to make photocopies? Maybe she stepped out because of a phone call or the principle?
Also known as Dark Star.

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

I WON the game.

"How? She gonna blink Morse code?" -Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break: The Final Break)

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:11 am

None of that matters.

The fact of the matter is that in many situations, including the possible ones you noted, the teacher could literally come back any second.

Thus, any person could randomly guess and coincidentally be correct.
Unless his mind gave him any indication that he actually noticed sometype of nonsensory information divining her coming prescence, the obvious answer is that it was random luck.

One could possibly even approximate how long a person takes to walk a certain length and do a certain action, without consciously adding it all up. Possibley through your implicit memory of the path walk and action done.

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:49 am

Which was exactly what Izzy and I just explained...but both of us in different ways. XD
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:57 pm

Actually, implicit memory =/= unconscious psychic powers =/= higher observation of patterns and trends...

Arty1995
Centaur

Postby Arty1995 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:43 am

I always have Lucid Dreams. Not once have I had a dream that I couldn't control. (Besides yesterday, but that was a one off thing. I was really depressed the day before that)
Eternity Awards - Strangest member, 2010, 2011
Eternity Awards - Most Changed member, 2011
Eternity Awards - Looovers <3 AlaMulyMala, Conquer the world! 2012

lethe_naiad
The Splendiferous
The Splendiferous
Real First Name:Lauren

Postby lethe_naiad » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:33 pm

Lucid dreaming doesn't imply any sort of psychic powers because they don't exist because when you sleep and dream, all you really do is experience your own mind in a different way to when you're awake. It's all inside your own head anyway, there's no reason why some people can't control it.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name:Katarina

Postby Kitsy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:46 pm

Ahahahaha, I havn't seen that one before xD

What exactly are lucid dreams?
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

lethe_naiad
The Splendiferous
The Splendiferous
Real First Name:Lauren

Postby lethe_naiad » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:49 pm

Lucid dreaming is when you actively control your dreams.

You feel much more involved in the experience, rather than just letting it happen to you. You're also more likely to remember your dream when you wake up.

For example, if you're having a dream about flying, a lucid dreamer would be able to think "hey, that particular section of dream looks interesting, I think I'll fly over there and have a squiz."
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “City Central”