Languages

Current affairs and on-topic discussion goes here!
Tyrison
Ty(rosine)
Real First Name:Mary
Location:Preferably in a good book, AFC, writing fanfic, or working on my novel. ^_^
Languages

Postby Tyrison » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:06 pm

Is anyone else learning a language/wanting to learn one? I know most of us are/have done some Spanish, or whatever is normal for where you live, but what about the languages you actually want to learn?

I'm doing Spanish this year, but I really want to learn Japanese. I got a couple of books from the library and am teaching myself some, but it'll take time. Luckily I have a friend from Japan, and she can help me with different things...

What languages do you want to learn?

Discuss.

:)
The quandary of Autumn's child
I'm not sure if falling leaves
are merely butterflies that
have died or photographs
we don't remember taking.

GUS'S DISCIPLES OF SEMI-SEXY, TAKING OVER THE WORLD!
Official Secret AFC Agent 008 ~ Since whenever

But this morning, there's a calm I can't explain; The rock candy's melted, only diamonds now remain...

ILiveForTheDay
Golden Acorn Officer
Real First Name:ForeverDay

Re: Languages

Postby ILiveForTheDay » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:03 pm

I've been learning Frech for a couple of years, and I'll probably do German too at some point. But what I really want to learn is Arabic. . .although it's completely and utterly impractical as I don't actually want to to visit any places that they speak it. . .Maybe Morrocco. . ?
☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

Grady: 'Cuz everytime you try to do something nice for us we end up sad
Nico: Or injured
Grady: Or in Mexico. . .

It's ALIVE.

sharkie
Crazy Cat Lady
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby sharkie » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:25 pm

I did French for a bit, but I found the language very difficult to speak (I understood the grammar and that). Too smooth and stuff.

I hope to start a Spanish class this year though. Because Spain is one of those places where having the lanuage would make even more amazing. I want to learn some spanish before visiting Barcelona (although I know that there many prefer speaking Catalan).
*TEETH KNASH* The yellow ducks shall eat your socks in the nighttime
Took Jangrafess out my sig, clearly he doesn't appreciate old respect when he's pulling stunts like that
Raped your sig to tell you, that yes it is! ~AG
Who cares. - Someone

I want to verb your noun

POKEMON BEASTIALITY PWNS ALL (yes, that was me - Jangra)

SORREH, Niki, teal is my color. ^_^ *rape* BOLD FTW. - Voldylicious
i thought you needed new rape from me and i like this color so *rapes* (:
oohhh kittyyy, she's so orgasmically amazing. *rapes*

Mere Reflection
Special Agent of Mr. Shiny

Postby Mere Reflection » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:59 am

I just placed French as my top elective, but I don't really desperately want to speak a different language. I chose to do art and drama above languages, as I enjoyed them more. However, I don't mind the idea of speaking in two languages. It'd be pretty cool just really hard for me, I'm not great with learning things like languages.

Btw, one of my friends speak FIVE languages, all fluently. And this was when she was eleven. I know. Wow. (Thai, English, Japanese, Italian, Lous, and a little bit of Chinese.)
Thanks to Cat Moon & Raineesun for helping me do this XD
Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Evening news is where they begin with 'good evening' then proceed to tell you why it isn't.
Always remember you are utterly unique. Just like everyone else.
Why are you still reading this?
Nothing is impossible, yet everything is a lie. Fishies! :D
A/H forever

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name:Katarina

Postby Kitsy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:53 pm

I did German to GCSE, really enjoyed it too! But doing it to A-Level just looked ridiculously hard, and though I wish I could do side-lessons and not be examined in it, I don't think that'll actually happen.

I find it strange that some places have "normal" foreign languages to study. I had a choice of German, Spanish and French. One school I know didn't have a choice, and only taught either German or French. Then another school I know let you study Italian.
One thing that really pisses me off is that private and grammar school students have a much bigger opportunity to study other languages. I was only allowed to study one, and I really couldn't have studied another unless I took private tuition which we couldn't afford. Whereas my friend who went to a local private school did something insane like five languages. Fair enough she's very talented at learning languages, but still, I would've liked the opportunity. /ramble.
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

IzzyTehMuse
Applied Phlebotinum
Applied Phlebotinum

Postby IzzyTehMuse » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:44 am

I've been learning Frech for a couple of years, and I'll probably do German too at some point. But what I really want to learn is Arabic. . .although it's completely and utterly impractical as I don't actually want to to visit any places that they speak it. . .Maybe Morrocco. . ?
Actually, iLive, Arabic is one of the top...three? languages spoken in the world today. It is very practical even if you don't want to travel there as translation from Arabic can be useful in the workplace of for government contracts /linguistics ramble

I'm learning Chinese right now. It's kind of hilarious because unlike most normal people, Linguists will not ask you "what are you learning now?" but rather "what do you want to learn next?" So I hope to learn Arabic next and then try to tackle Russian, with maybe smatterings of Farsi and Turkish thrown in there just because I love languages.
"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all of those things—trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones[." - Puddleglum, The Silver Chair

"I have had to believe a great deal in God because I have lost my belief in men." -Elias, Noli Me Tangere

"The price of freedom is learning to coexist with that which you hate." -- My
cousin.
*rapes* I love you, Izzy. :P

Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

Postby Lime Yay » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:04 am

I find it strange that some places have "normal" foreign languages to study..
Spanish is very common in the US since we have a large Spanish speaking population. So in elementary school they might have a little bit of it, and it's most widely taught in high schools. Like, little kids shows will sometimes incorporate Spanish, with English (Sesame Street, Dora the Explora).

Sooo, since Spanish is kind of like, the go-to language in the US, I chose German in high school. I know. Rebel. 8)

~Lime yaya
Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

Tyrison
Ty(rosine)
Location:Preferably in a good book, AFC, writing fanfic, or working on my novel. ^_^

Postby Tyrison » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:22 am

Good for you, Limey. ^^

I kind of like Spanish, even though it is kind of common, because it has some similarities with Japanese. Same basic vowel sounds, if you want to know. Ah, A, EE, oh, Ooh. Ah, EE, Ooh, A, Oh. I thought it was pretty fun.
have died or photographs

But this morning, there's a calm I can't explain; The rock candy's melted, only diamonds now remain...

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name:Katarina

Postby Kitsy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:06 pm

I absolutely hated Spanish - I did one term of it and my god, it was horrid. It's not that it sounds bad or anything, but it felt all weird when I spoke it. Srsly, you need one hell of a lisp to speak Spanish xD
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

ILiveForTheDay
Golden Acorn Officer

Postby ILiveForTheDay » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:40 pm

I absolutely hated Spanish - I did one term of it and my god, it was horrid. It's not that it sounds bad or anything, but it felt all weird when I spoke it. Srsly, you need one hell of a lisp to speak Spanish xD
It's all thanks to their monarchy. :lick: One of their kings (Louis something or other) had a lisp and all his courtiers copied his way of speaking, and so on, until he had the entire country onto the lisp.

@Izzy - I didn't really realise how big Arabic actually was. I find it hard to learn languages (although I would absolutely love to be one of those people who could just fluidly talk in 5 languages) so I really have to want to do it before I start. But it's just finding someone who teaches it.

It's ALIVE.

Kiki
Atlantean

Postby Kiki » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:55 pm

My goal in life is to learn 7 languages one day (don’t ask why, it just is). So far I know Portuguese, English and French, but on my “list” I still have Arabic, Spanish, Italian and Japanese. And I wouldn’t mind trying to learn German or any other language. I like to be able to communicate in different languages ^^
Word of the month: Work

Writers: Editors are your friends, not your mortal enemies. We are not trying to destroy your style, your hard work or even your life. Believe me =)

I see you

Tyrison
Ty(rosine)

Postby Tyrison » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:17 am

It's all thanks to their monarchy. :lick: One of their kings (Louis something or other) had a lisp and all his courtiers copied his way of speaking, and so on, until he had the entire country onto the lisp.
That would be Castilian Spanish, I believe. Correct me if I spelled that wrong...

Spain is the only place they speak it that way, I think...though there are differences in every place Spanish is spoken...but in America, we speak it without the lisp most of the time. :P

Another four hours of Spanish gone through today...and I did enjoy it, it's just hard to keep going in the last twenty minutes. :P
have died or photographs

ILiveForTheDay
Golden Acorn Officer

Postby ILiveForTheDay » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:02 pm

That would be Castilian Spanish, I believe. Correct me if I spelled that wrong...

Spain is the only place they speak it that way, I think...though there are differences in every place Spanish is spoken...but in America, we speak it without the lisp most of the time. :P

Another four hours of Spanish gone through today...and I did enjoy it, it's just hard to keep going in the last twenty minutes. :P
Four hours? Four hours? That takes some dedication.

And as for the Castilian Spanish, I'm not sure. All I know is that we asked this Spanish lady when in Madrid, whether or not to speak with a lisp and she said (lisping) "If you live da south, we zay Grathias. if you live in da north you say Grasias." Then there was some more about the king, but I've already mentioned that.

It's ALIVE.

Antilles
Rolling Thunder
Real First Name:Mohammad

Postby Antilles » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:44 pm

I'll toss my vote in for Arabic. I can read/write/speak fluent Farsi, which is a similar alphabet and shares a few words, but that only lets me read Arabic and not really understand it.
"oh sharkie is so evul" -sharkie
"Oh sure, ANTILLES gets love and hugs and confetti. What do I get? The halfway empty coffee carafe...and someone left the creamer out...it has lumps in it. I hate you all." -IzzyTehMuze
"OMGWOOT I COULD FEED 33 HUNGRY WEASELS" -Nick

Ihdreniel
Ruler of the People
Real First Name:Hannah

Postby Ihdreniel » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:34 am

I love languages. I'm ridiculously obsessed with them. I don't speak any other than English fluently, but I've taken French for many years at school and am pretty good at it... same with Spanish, but to a slightly lesser degree. I also know a bit of German, but not nearly as much.

As for languages I want to learn... if "ALL OF THEM" doesn't count as a real answer, I'm hoping to be able to take a few Italian and/or Portuguese classes at school somewhere along the line (I love romance languages, and Portuguese is fairly similar to Spanish, so!).
"eeeep!" says the insane chibling.
And then. . .

It attacks.

Image Image Image
Co-President of the Obnoxious Teenager Club
"Quantity > quality! Remember that."
~ Voldy

(P.S. Ze opéra ghost wants 'is paycheck.)

Return to “City Central”