Torrenting.

Current affairs and on-topic discussion goes here!
Arty1995
Centaur
Torrenting.

Postby Arty1995 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:49 am

Torrenting is illegal for three reasons but only one of the three are actually advertised. I'm against torrenting and will report anyone who publically admits to torrenting.

To begin with my first reason, it is stealing. People worked very hard to create what you are stealing and want some profit out of their hours of work and effort. If you were one of the people working on it, would you be happy to know someone is taking away your work without giving you the money you so well deserve? Oh, I also forgot that it's hurting the company. If they don't get a profit then they won't have money to create bigger and better games.

Following the first reason, it is bad for the economy. Living in a capitalist country, the money we spend is split to the government, the publishers and the sponsers the publishers have as well as the investors. By torrenting you are hurting our capitalist economy by a small fraction but when you sum up the total amount of torrents going on, it's hurting it by a lot.

My final reason is that torrents can be unsafe so it's in your best interest to just not go that way unless you want to risk getting fined, getting a virus or you just hate capitalism. People use torrents to put viruses on your PC and steal credentials so if you want to risk it for something you can easily buy safely, your computer and your wallet is at risk.
Eternity Awards - Strangest member, 2010, 2011
Eternity Awards - Most Changed member, 2011
Eternity Awards - Looovers <3 AlaMulyMala, Conquer the world! 2012

hyunjoonglovie
Elf
Real First Name:Jess :P

Re: Torrenting.

Postby hyunjoonglovie » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:39 am

Torrenting is bad, and I am against it too, but I do not believe that SOPA is the answer to this problem. If the governments of the world really want to stop Piracy, they need to have an international team working to find website torrents, and then to shut down the INDIVIDUALS whom choose to upload copyrighted content and slap those people with hefty fines in order to stop people from resuming these illegal activities. It is not necessarily the fault of the people running these websites, just a select few of the users.

If SOPA is introduced, it may cause a significant decrease in the amount of information readily available on the internet, which would stagger the 'information age' - it wouldn't stop or revert it, but it would leave significant damage.
Under SOPA, copyright holders would be able to report piracy websites to law enforcement officials to have the website shut down. A judge would be able to order search engines to block the sites, and websites could even be punished for hosting the illegal content. This is causing Internet companies to worry that they could be held accountable for the actions of their users.

Those with the most to lose (obviously the music and movie industries) are backing the bill, but critics fear supporters don't understand the repercussions. They believe SOPA would bring down the Internet as we know it, and hundreds of sites have adopted "Stop Censorship" logos. Even though they support the objectives of SOPA, Fortune 500 tech companies are asking Congress to consider another way to terminate piracy websites.
SOPA has the right intention, but I personally believe it is going about it the wrong way.
We all have a dark side...

[spoiler]That awkward moment when someone says "hi" to you, and you reply with "I'm good"... -_-

That shite moment in an argument when you realise you are wrong...

That awesome moment when the teacher asks you a question, thinking you weren't being attentive. Then you answer it right, it's like "What now! WIN!!!"

That depressing moment when your mum scribbles on the award your school gave you in congratulations for all your hard work, just to get her stupid pen to work D':[/spoiler]

But you love me XD

Multiverse
Elf

Re: Torrenting.

Postby Multiverse » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Torrenting is bad, and I am against it too, but I do not believe that SOPA is the answer to this problem. If the governments of the world really want to stop Piracy, they need to have an international team working to find website torrents, and then to shut down the INDIVIDUALS whom choose to upload copyrighted content and slap those people with hefty fines in order to stop people from resuming these illegal activities. It is not necessarily the fault of the people running these websites, just a select few of the users.

If SOPA is introduced, it may cause a significant decrease in the amount of information readily available on the internet, which would stagger the 'information age' - it wouldn't stop or revert it, but it would leave significant damage.
Under SOPA, copyright holders would be able to report piracy websites to law enforcement officials to have the website shut down. A judge would be able to order search engines to block the sites, and websites could even be punished for hosting the illegal content. This is causing Internet companies to worry that they could be held accountable for the actions of their users.

Those with the most to lose (obviously the music and movie industries) are backing the bill, but critics fear supporters don't understand the repercussions. They believe SOPA would bring down the Internet as we know it, and hundreds of sites have adopted "Stop Censorship" logos. Even though they support the objectives of SOPA, Fortune 500 tech companies are asking Congress to consider another way to terminate piracy websites.
SOPA has the right intention, but I personally believe it is going about it the wrong way.
Hyun has, with this post, brilliantly formulated what appears to be the common opinion, and what definitely is mine. =)

Return to “City Central”