College/University

Current affairs and on-topic discussion goes here!
Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

College/University

Postby Lime Yay » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:09 pm

Hello there! Many of you are starting to think about (or should be starting to think about :P) going to University, and I (along with others on this site) have already gone to university... so I think this is the perfect time and place to talk about it. I'm especially interested in making this thread a kind of Q/A so that you young'uns can make some really smart choices.

I (like probably many of you) thought I was pretty set for college. I got really great grades, a great ACT score, and lots of extra-curriculars to beef up the ol' college application. I got into a good university. But I've made some mistakes, too, and when I come to think about why I made those mistakes, a lot of it comes down to not knowing enough in high school.

Particularly... finances! But that's just me. If you guys are interested in the social/emotional/academic/etc. aspects of college, feel free to ask about that as well!

So, little ones, get to asking, and "oldies" get to answering.

~Lime Yay

Note: in the US (where I am from), "college" is used as a general term for university. It can be more complicated beyond that (for example, I was in the college of Engineering at university), but we don't need to complicate things :P
Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Re: College/University

Postby Merv Simestra » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:00 pm

I've already started the first part of the application process for three colleges: the essays. I want to have them written up before I start filling out the application form. I'm really excited to go because I'm excited to learn what I need to do well at a good job. My parents have already signed me up for community college classes (this is my senior year in high school) so I'll have class time experience before I go off to college.

So, quick question. I'm a homeschooler, and I'm familiar with how social life is at a public school (my friends complain about it very often). How different is college social life from public school social life?
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

Postby Lime Yay » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:37 pm

Merv Simestra wrote:I'm really excited to go because I'm excited to learn what I need to do well at a good job.

You learn so much at college! I think I would like to point out that going to college doesn't always mean you'll get a good job anymore... Sorry if that sounds condescending, but I guess at your age I assumed since I was top of my class and chose an engineering major I'd have no problem. I'd say the job part is the hardest, but that varies wildly from major to major, so be very careful selecting that. I think college gives you a basis for the job, and networks you with companies so you can do an internship or two (or three). Those internships are often the most important part for what actually gets you a job.

Merv Simestra wrote:My parents have already signed me up for community college classes (this is my senior year in high school) so I'll have class time experience before I go off to college.

I did that too! It is a great thing to do. Although for me the classes at the local community college were definitely not up to par with the university I went to, so I don't know how much it prepared me, lol. Of course I was never homeschooled, so it probably makes a bigger difference for you. One mistake I did with community college classes: there were a lot of hoops I had to jump through to make sure the credits transferred right and I missed one of them. I got them to transfer them 100%, but they were all classified as general credits, which are completely useless. But if I'd been successful it would have been great, haha. Cheap credits = best credits. Right now I am planning my little brother's life so he starts community college for free after his sophomore year of highschool and all his credits transfer seamlessly to university... We'll see how that goes, lol.

Merv Simestra wrote:So, quick question. I'm a homeschooler, and I'm familiar with how social life is at a public school (my friends complain about it very often). How different is college social life from public school social life?

Well, I think that depends on what university you go to, to an extent. I remember when I was your age, there was derisive talk in choosing schools about "party schools" (I was a nerd, obv), but EVERY school is going to have partying. You never have to go to parties unless you don't want to, though, so it doesn't matter. Anyway, I went to a very large university, and how that was different from public high school was that since it was so large you could find a niche of kids just like you. And you could join all these different clubs and create your own social circle. I mean, I guess I had a niche in high school, but I guess it's more freeing, and you find people with your interests pretty easily.

But, it depends on the school. My friend went to school in the city, where there is a social life, but not (virtually) exclusively with students. My other friend went to school at a college that was smaller than our high school... and I think for her it was similar to high school except for the partying.

Oh, another difference is that friendships may take on a different role. Instead of seeing each other after school, you may live together, or live down the hall from each other, or down the road. And so, you may see some friends a LOT, and in different contexts than you're used to.

Hope that helps! Sorry I write so much.

Good luck on the essays,

~Lime Yay
Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Thanks, Lime Yay! :) I have the first drafts of the essays printed up for my mom and dad to look at, so I'll be revising and proofreading them soon.

My parents impressed upon me (especially my dad) about choosing a major that would allow me to get a good job once I graduated, which is why I'm choosing Communications. They didn't want me choosing something like Theater and then being jobless for the first year or more after I graduate.

I'm taking College Writing and College Algebra at the local community college so I hopefully won't have to take them when I get into college. They also count for Math and English/Literature classes for this high school year which will be nice. :)

Again, thanks for the information. :)
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:50 am

This is a great thread; I'm willing to answer questions.

But I feel like Lime Yay already gave Merv great answers.

I'll tackle any other questions, if I can(Currently going to a small, private University. Top 20. Social aspect of it might be slightly different than most. Cost is definitely different.)
Truth is: Texas sucks.

How is Gunny feeling on First Earth?

Return to “City Central”