[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/paybas/breadcrumbmenu/event/listener.php on line 190: Undefined index: 84
Closing The Book Club - Artemis Fowl Confidential Fan Forum

Closing The Book Club

Come here to participate in the AFC book club! Talk about books other than Artemis Fowl with other book-loving members.
Diana
Ruler of the People

Closing The Book Club

Postby Diana » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:48 pm

We're closing the book club.

Jangrafess and I picked a rather short, fairly easily accessible book for last month – not a single person besides himself and myself read the book and participated in the club. The memberlist does not mean ANYTHING as far as participatory member counts. Our total of people who regularly participate in the book club is TWO.

We've put in a lot of effort to pick interesting books, and we've tried to get people to participate by posting in other areas of AFC. However, eventually it just comes down to you, the members, to FIND the book, READ the book and TALK about the book.

(We picked a book intended for 5-year-olds for June's book, as a joke, hoping that people would notice and requisition us for the real book, thus creating more suspense/humor/attention for the club - that failed, as so very few people paid attention in the first place.)

There's no reason we wouldn't reopen the club if several people show interest this time around. As it is, it's not worth expending the energy to maintain it.
(My avatar was given its awesome existence by the benevolent Voldy.
If Cuddy doesn't look familiar, don't talk to me till you've clicked this.)

Ihdreniel
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Hannah

Re: Closing The Book Club

Postby Ihdreniel » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:23 pm

Argh, I'm really sorry. I was able to participate in the first two months, and I was finally able to buy and read April's book after the fact, but I've been a bit bogged down with schoolwork (and the numerous unread books still sitting on my bookshelf- heh). But I've been looking in on this forum for a while, and have been worried that something like this might happen...

Well, I do understand your reasons. There's really no sense in going to the trouble of trying to pick an interesting and notable book if not many people are going to show interest... but I just wanted to let you guys know that I haven't forgotten the book club exists, and if you do bring it back, I'll try my best to participate. Smile
"eeeep!" says the insane chibling.
And then. . .

It attacks.

Image Image Image
Co-President of the Obnoxious Teenager Club
"Quantity > quality! Remember that."
~ Voldy

(P.S. Ze opéra ghost wants 'is paycheck.)

Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

Postby Lime Yay » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:36 am

Yeah, I am sorry too. I had a lot of other stuff to read and was very busy. But now that's school's ending, I thought I might participate. I don't know though, because I am not willing to order a book, and I think you guys were purposely picking out unusual books.

Ah, anyway, I am disapointd cuz I wanted to at least try to do it. And I am so, so sorry you both put so much into this and were let down. I am sorry I put my name on a list and didn't do anything. I didn't mean to let you guys down so much. Sad

I noticed that you said that you said it was Jangra's favorite book as a child, and that it starred an ant... But I thought you were serious Razz. I don't know, you guys often pick books that I might not. (I am extremely picky about books, and a summary often isn't enough for me) And children's books are often surprisingly deep and even sometimes controversial. But yeah, I am very sorry. Cuz if it was bad, then I could have always attacked it and then we'd have discussion at least. This is soo sad. *huggles all*

~Lime Yay
Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

Diana
Ruler of the People

Postby Diana » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:27 am

Iddy - you've actually been a fairly active member, and we definitely do appreciate your participation in the past. And to both of you, I completely understand being bogged down with schoolwork... It's happened to me too. No single person did anything particularly offensive; it's more of a group mentality of non-participation that's led to this.

Limey - we haven't actually been trying to pick unusual books. We've picked standalone books so that people won't have to read a series for the club, but the books we pick are very well-known bestselling novels for the most part - ie, they aren't that rare or unusual at all.

Anyway, if we find enough people who KNOW they can participate then there's a good chance we can start up again - but Jangles and I need something more solid than several dozen people saying "pls put me on the memberlist, I want to join! *two months later after not posting at all* Why am I not on the memberlist?" Rolling Eyes

So yeah, if many other people genuinely, sincerely, honestly think they can participate in the summer, Jangles and I can put up another book... But we just don't have enough people right now.

Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

Postby Lime Yay » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:15 am

Aww, I am sorry, Diana. you said this in the first thread when I signed up:

We won't choose mainstream books of any sort, or any book from a series. Our main priority in selection is to choose books that most AFCers will not yet have read. We won't pick brand-new books, as members in some countries may not be able to get copies of recently released books in time for discussion. Book selection will be solely lesser-known books that we can read as a one-off and enjoy. Members post suggestions, and we'll decide on one to read.

So I assumed the books you actually chose and planned to chose in the future were lesser known. I should've actually checked which books you chose before saying anything. Sorry, Diana. *huggle*

I really wanted to do this. Ah well. I don't blame you guys at all. As in, I would've done the same thing. But I just posted to say that your effort was appreciated, and I did care. Because yeah, I wouldn't be able to give commitment before actually having the book in my hand. My post was just to say sorry. It would be a lot of fun to discuss books with AFCers though. Maybe I'll start a thread about Colfer's overall writing ability and see what people say. At least we've had people that read that book Razz.

It IS summer though. Maybe more people will for-sure join. Maybe it'll catch on and be the best book club ever. But I am sorry that it didn't work this time around, and that I contributed to the false hope that I'd participate. I thought I could, in the summer. It wasn't intentional.

~Lime Yay
Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

silverphoenix
Elf

Postby silverphoenix » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:30 pm

So sorry! I did read the first book but the second one I was unable to find in the library and ditto with the third. I guess I could have always bought them but I wasn't sure whether I would even like them in the first place. Maybe you can try teen books instead of adults, but I don't whether that would make it more appealing to teens and pre-teens. Perhaps you try a poll where people can vote on which book they want to read. Please don't think your hard work went to waste, all you need a different approach.
"Did someone say Draco Malfoy?"

MASTER I
Council Member

Postby MASTER I » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:54 am

^ I reckon the books need not be Teenage Fiction (or something like that) to appeal to us. And they haven't all been adults' books (I don't think)... People are given a chance to recommend books every month. I think it's sufficient that Diana and Jangrafess are deciding from the members' suggestions. Anyway, it would take a long time to poll everyone's choice as not every member is regularly online.

I'm so sorry for letting everyone down. I only got my hands on the first book too. Bah, I've put a reserve down for Tractors for quite a while now.. I perhaps would buy it but it's not in the bookstore and I don't have the pin number to my bank account. =P

I hope the book club keeps running, it would be a pity because it's a brilliant suggestion. I vow to get the next book if the club still goes on. *nods* You've done a fabulous job and here I am, contributing to this lack of participation. *headdesk*
"My tongue will tell the anger of my heart or else my heart concealing it will break and rather than it shall, I will be free even to the uttermost, as I please, in words."

"Talk not to me: I will go sit and weep
Till I can find occasion of revenge."

Diana
Ruler of the People

Postby Diana » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:53 am

silverphoenix wrote:Maybe you can try teen books instead of adults, but I don't whether that would make it more appealing to teens and pre-teens. Perhaps you try a poll where people can vote on which book they want to read. Please don't think your hard work went to waste, all you need a different approach.
You're kind of missing the point. Firstly, I think the concept of a distinction between "teen" and "adult" and "children's" books is highly flawed to begin with, and secondly, Jangra and I didn't start the club with the intention of discussing books written by authors on a comparable level of skill, plot complexity and prose style with Colfer.

The books we've picked haven't been "adult" books, whatever you mean by that. They're books that we thought the average, intelligent AFCer would appreciate and enjoy. Also, if everyone goes into this thing with the mentality of "well, I'm not sure if I'll like it, so reading it isn't high on my priority list" then it's easy to see why the club essentially flopped... The books we've picked have all been highly acclaimed, and whether or not an individual reader in the club likes them is beside the point; book clubs are more about expanding one's horizons than reading books that one already knows one will love.

Anyway, given that we've received a few votes of confidence, Jangles and I will talk when we're both next on MSN; perhaps we'll post another book and see if it gets anywhere.

Skater Girl
Commander
Real First Name: Nastasha

Postby Skater Girl » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:12 pm

Hee, Jangles. </random>

Sorry REALLY much too. I tried searching for the books, but they didn't seem to have them... (With the exception of Never Let Me Go, we got that in a different bookstore, late, and my mum was reading it.)

The only book I could easily grab was Tractors, and I got that late too, since the book was announced late and I got it late too... Went to the bookstore and bought a different book, right before I went home and found out that the book was the one I was interested in but decided not to buy anyways at the bookstore. And that bookstore is rather far (and crowded, not a lot of English bookstores)... And May was my exhibition and exams too...

So really, I'm sorry. I didn't even participate in one book club thread up-to-date. I'll finish up Tractors and post, I swear. I actually quite like her writing style... (Marina Lewycka)

Hee, I'll still try to find June's book. XD

EDIT: Never knew you guys already picked the book! Hee. XD </random>
"The sad truth...

Is that the truth is sad."

~ Lemony Snicket

Diana
Ruler of the People

Postby Diana » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:48 pm

Alright, guys: Jangles and I are putting up another book. The thread's right here, and as we are trying something new for structuring the discussion, please read the announcement in full (though you don't have to read the summary) if you intend to participate.

Thanks.

Return to “The AFC Book Club”