[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/paybas/breadcrumbmenu/event/listener.php on line 190: Undefined index: 84
Announcement: June's (real) Book! - Artemis Fowl Confidential Fan Forum

Announcement: June's (real) Book!

Come here to participate in the AFC book club! Talk about books other than Artemis Fowl with other book-loving members.
Diana
Ruler of the People

Announcement: June's (real) Book!

Postby Diana » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:46 pm

June's Actual Book!

The book that Jangles and I have selected for June is Life of Pi by Yann Martel. It's a fairly common and quite popular book so people should be able to get it.

Nota bene - we are switching to a new discussion format, in light of the recent semi-closing of the book club. It is as follows: this book is "June's" book because we are posting it at the beginning of June - however, we would like to have active discussion up until the end of JULY. People are welcome to comment on Life of Pi (or previous books) after July, but hopefully spreading the main conversation over the months of both June and July will allow people a more comfortable stretch of time to read the book and talk about it.

Amazon's summary of the book is as follows (y'all can search for it on your own time):

A fabulous romp through an imagination by turns ecstatic, cunning, despairing and resilient, this novel is an impressive achievement: "a story that will make you believe in God," as one character says. The peripatetic Pi (ne the much-taunted Piscine) Patel spends a beguiling boyhood in Pondicherry, India, as the son of a zookeeper. Growing up beside the wild beasts, Pi gathers an encyclopedic knowledge of the animal world. His curious mind also makes the leap from his native Hinduism to Christianity and Islam, all three of which he practices with joyous abandon.

In his 16th year, Pi sets sail with his family and some of their menagerie to start a new life in Canada. Halfway to Midway Island, the ship sinks into the Pacific, leaving Pi stranded on a life raft with a hyena, an orangutan, an injured zebra and a 450-pound Bengal tiger named Richard Parker. After the beast dispatches the others, Pi is left to survive for 227 days with his large feline companion on the 26-foot-long raft, using all his knowledge, wits and faith to keep himself alive.

The scenes flow together effortlessly, and the sharp observations of the young narrator keep the tale brisk and engaging. Martel's potentially unbelievable plot line soon demolishes the reader's defenses, cleverly set up by events of young Pi's life that almost naturally lead to his biggest ordeal. This richly patterned work, Martel's second novel, won Canada's 2001 Hugh MacLennan Prize for Fiction. In it, Martel displays the clever voice and tremendous storytelling skills of an emerging master.
(My avatar was given its awesome existence by the benevolent Voldy.
If Cuddy doesn't look familiar, don't talk to me till you've clicked this.)

MASTER I
Council Member

Re: Announcement: June's (real) Book!

Postby MASTER I » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:37 am

It sounds really good..
I think I even own this book. *rummages*
Yep, I do. I shall start reading now!
"My tongue will tell the anger of my heart or else my heart concealing it will break and rather than it shall, I will be free even to the uttermost, as I please, in words."

"Talk not to me: I will go sit and weep
Till I can find occasion of revenge."

Centaurboi2
Programmer in Purple
Programmer in Purple
Real First Name: Nick
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Centaurboi

Postby Centaurboi2 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:23 am

oh darn, I left grandparents a few days early(they have the book) I should have nabbed it anyways... well my mom say this is an excellent book *finds and reads*
Cookies and milk next to the stove. Be sure to stay out of trouble and wash your face before bed! :)
Love,
Mum

Immortal
Skilled Necromancer
Real First Name: Lucifer

Postby Immortal » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:01 am

I've read the book recently...so I could reply.

Rochenut
Shedding Harp Seal

Postby Rochenut » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:51 pm

I read this about a year ago and after finishing it I tried discussing the ending with my colleagues at my old job.

Me: So which of the two stories told to the Japanese men actually happened?
Co worker: I don't think they're supposed to be true, it's just a storybook.

Which left me feeling quite dumb. Maybe it didn't really matter which version was true, just as long as the reader was brought along for the ride.

Rochenut
Shedding Harp Seal

Postby Rochenut » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:41 pm

Well, even though hers was a smart-ass answer it raised an interesting point.

In the first part of the book, Pi's faith is challenged as he explores his religious options. In the second, we had to suspend our disbelief. In the third, two different world views are presented, one bleak and violent and the other hopeful yet absurd.

When I was reading the Pacific section of the book I found myself alternating between skepticism and belief, something which grips everyone when they are faced with religion, and probably an echo of Pi's own struggles with three different religions in the first part of book.

So I think the book basically says this: The reason why you enjoyed reading me was because you were able to suspend your disbelief during the strange parts with the ferrets. Similarly, the reason why people are willing to believe in 'impossible' things like multiheaded gods, and why Pi is the way he is, is that it gives them hope.

Skater Girl
Commander
Real First Name: Nastasha

Postby Skater Girl » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:47 pm

Ohh, my mum has that book! And she finished it quickly, so it must be interesting... =]

It's in Indonesian, though. Ahh, heck. XP

EDIT: Apparently, it's being adapted to a movie. Link
"The sad truth...

Is that the truth is sad."

~ Lemony Snicket

Diana
Ruler of the People

Postby Diana » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:02 pm

Yay, I'm glad to see so many people have access to the book! I'm creating a discussion thread here so that we won't spoil it for people who've not read it yet.

People can still post here about their status on procuring the book, but try to keep actual book discussion to the discussion thread. Shouldn't be hard. Razz
(My avatar was given its awesome existence by the benevolent Voldy.
If Cuddy doesn't look familiar, don't talk to me till you've clicked this.)

Ihdreniel
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Hannah

Postby Ihdreniel » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:26 am

::squees with delight::
I wish I had been able to come on AFC earlier in the week, because then I would have seen this earlier, but... I OWN THE BOOK! w00t! And I'll be able to read it (especially with summer break coming up)! ::excitedness::
Thanks for picking a real book after giving us our 'wake-up call', you guys! Very Happy
"eeeep!" says the insane chibling.
And then. . .

It attacks.

Image Image Image
Co-President of the Obnoxious Teenager Club
"Quantity > quality! Remember that."
~ Voldy

(P.S. Ze opéra ghost wants 'is paycheck.)

Return to “The AFC Book Club”