The AFC Forum Rules - Updated [26/01/2015]

Read the rules and site announcements here!
Matt
Ruler of the People
Ruler of the People
Real First Name:Matt
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Matt
The AFC Forum Rules - Updated [26/01/2015]

Postby Matt » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:13 pm

Rules Updated 20th of April 2010.

AFC Forum Rules

We thank you for taking the time to read these rules, and ask that you adhere to them at all times. We fully enforce these rules, and if an offense occurs, a warning/banning will be issued, depending on the gravity of the situation. If you have any questions, have spotted someone breaking rules or want to make an addition, either contact one of the Administrators or Moderators.

[hr][/hr]

Remember, there are two very easy things that you can do to help the AFC Forums. The first is to read and abide by these rules, as it will only take you a few minutes to read them all, and you may also use the report button if you find a thread or post which is in violation of the rules, which can found on the bottom right corner of every post. PLEASE do not post in a thread with no point, as it'll just waste more space and time, just use the report button.

1) Be appropriate and respectful! - These forums are visited by people of all ages, and therefore anything that we see as inappropriate will be moved from the public eye, and the member will be issued with either a warning or a ban, depending on the offense and the user's history.

a) Respect all members, including moderators and administrators. There may be no sexism, racism or any other derogatory phrases. If someone has a different view than you, that's fine; don't attack them personally, or flame them. We're all human, and we don't need others to hurt our feelings because of our own opinions. Constructive criticism is encouraged, however, criticism at a personal level, directed toward members, is not accepted. When you communicate online, all you see is a computer screen. When talking to someone you might want to ask yourself "Would I say it to the person's face?" or "Would I get jumped if I said this to a buddy?"

b) Listen to the advice given by moderators and administrators, as they are trying to keep AFC running smoothly and under a friendly environment. If you are warned by one, please do not take it personally and feel free to ask for advice or help if you need it.

c) Adhere to the same standards of behavior online that you follow in real life.

2) Speak in English! - Posts should not be entirely composed of illegible language or any variation of netspeak. Simple "lol"s and "lmao"s are fine, but too much netspeak makes it hard for others to understand what you are trying to say.

3) Don't just post - contribute! -
a) Each post should have at least five distinct words, and should not have an excess amount of smileys/emoticons and BBCode/tags, as they are flashy, annoying, and less effective when used more than necessary, or straight after one another.
b) When making a thread, make sure that you post it in the appropriate forum, and that it has a reasonable topic that can be discussed--not just a topic like "I love Artemis Fowl". Don't post a thread if something like it already exists.
c) Do not multi-post, (posting more than once consecutively) and do not spam (posting meaninglessly). Any advertising should be done in the Community Sites forum.

4) No illegal activity will be tolerated, and will be dealt with immediately and strictly, depending on the weight of the issue.

5) Don't spoil it for others! - Whether it be for Artemis Fowl, Harry Potter...Don't spoil plot details of things to others. Just use the Spoiler tag available when posting.

6)Special group and forum requirements - Some forums and groups require a certain amount of posts.
a) You are allowed to post in other members' journals, however, you cannot make your own journal until you have 150 posts.
b) To become a member of the Inklings and view the Inkling Forum, where you can share your writing with others, you must have at least 100 posts. Then, PM a moderator or administrator to have them add you to the group.
c) Certain forums have rules specific to it, please ensure that you read them. The extra rules are as follows:
Artemis Fowl Talk Forum
RPG Forum
The Debate Forum

7) Avatars and Signatures - Avatars should not be larger than 125x125 pixels.
Any images in your signature should not add up to larger than 300x500 pixels, as it stretches
the minimum screen size and can distort the page for some users. The overall size should be no larger than an image this size.

8) Call for help when you need it! - If you have any problems--with the rules, other members, a certain thread, anything--PM a moderator or administrator. If you find something inappropriate or problematic about a certain post, click the Report this post button at the top of the post (near the Quote button).

9) The Chatbox -
a) Personal conversations should not be carried on in the chat box, if you have a rant journal it. If you want to talk to a friend PM them.
b)Spamming is left up to a moderators judgement, if they feel you are spamming do not argue with them. A rule of thumb is no more than three consecutive messages. You ARE able to type multiple lines.

The Golden Rule: Violation of any of the above, any other abuse to anyone else, and just lack of common sense will be met with an equal warning or punishment.

[hr][/hr]

S1r_4rt3m15
Dwarf

Postby S1r_4rt3m15 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:07 am

Just asking, what is text speak?
Back, back you savage!

Member of the Invisible Knights! Sir S1r_4rt3m15! (I've already got a sir in my name!)

arty_gal
Tomato President

Postby arty_gal » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:07 pm

Just asking, what is text speak?

Example: wat r u doing? OR hw abt sum food?

Basically short forms and non-capitalization a.k.a as text speak is not appreciated here.
Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields.
Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about.
Strawberry Fields forever.

*showers with confetti and love* I am the ninja of lavvv. *rapes*

rainbowkaizoku
Mud Man

Postby rainbowkaizoku » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:52 am

I kind of didn't read this before I started posting, so it is fortunate that I naturally don't use ch4tsp3@k and all the other things banned from this forum. ;D

RubyMoon507
Goblin
Location:London, England, Nothern Hemisphere, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.

Re: The AFC Forum Rules - *Please Read Before Posting*

Postby RubyMoon507 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:05 pm

I use chat speak like btw and fyi but not often... is that okay??

Everyone uses them dont they??
"You have no cause to be alarmed Captain, My father was... is a noble man. The idea of harming another creature would be repungent to him"

"So what happened to you?"

"I... I made a mistake"

"Into this wild abyss, The womb of nature and perhaps her grave, Of neither sea, nor shore, nor air, nor fire but all these in their pregnent causes mixed Confusedly, and which thus must ever fight, Unless th' almighty maker them ordian His Dark Materials to create more worlds Into this wild abyss the wary feind Stood on the brink of hell and looked awhile, Pondering his voyage"

arty_gal
Tomato President

Postby arty_gal » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:12 pm

Stuff like that is okay, as long as you keep limited to Btw, Fyi etc. :)
Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields.
Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about.
Strawberry Fields forever.

*showers with confetti and love* I am the ninja of lavvv. *rapes*

RubyMoon507
Goblin
Location:London, England, Nothern Hemisphere, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.

Postby RubyMoon507 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:58 pm

Thankyou! ^_^
"You have no cause to be alarmed Captain, My father was... is a noble man. The idea of harming another creature would be repungent to him"

"So what happened to you?"

"I... I made a mistake"

"Into this wild abyss, The womb of nature and perhaps her grave, Of neither sea, nor shore, nor air, nor fire but all these in their pregnent causes mixed Confusedly, and which thus must ever fight, Unless th' almighty maker them ordian His Dark Materials to create more worlds Into this wild abyss the wary feind Stood on the brink of hell and looked awhile, Pondering his voyage"

Matt
Ruler of the People
Ruler of the People

Re: The AFC Forum Rules - Updated [22/03/2007]

Postby Matt » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:33 pm

Just to let you know, the rules have been updated as of the 22nd March 2007.

shiaw_bing2000
Centaur
Real First Name:Patrick

Postby shiaw_bing2000 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:42 am

cool thanks for that important peice of info matt.

Wow why does it seem that almost every site other than EC has stricter rules.

Matt
Ruler of the People
Ruler of the People

Postby Matt » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:49 am

Because EC is small, not very well-managed and hasn't been running longer, therefore they haven't had to deal with things that we have.

shiaw_bing2000
Centaur
Real First Name:Patrick

Postby shiaw_bing2000 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:53 am

[quote="Matt"]Because EC is small, not very well-managed and hasn't been running longer, therefore they haven't had to deal with things that we have.[/quote]

smaller ??? oh I'm quessing your talking about members wise. Well its better well managed now that we have savvy over there to help foaly who is never online.

Matt
Ruler of the People
Ruler of the People

Postby Matt » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:37 am

Well, it's smaller than us, because we have more members, posts and topics... and one mod can't manage the whole forum, especially if it does get better.

The Walrus
Our Fair Lady

Postby The Walrus » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:12 pm

Hey, I have a small suggestion: Why don't you add something about not doing the mods' jobs to the list of rules? It's not on there but Diana and the other Mods occasionally get on to people about it, and I think if it was on there more people might avoid doing it, and it would save the mods a lot of trouble.

Voldy
Here's my card.
Here's my card.

Postby Voldy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:26 pm

It's not that it's against the rules, it's just some mods get annoyed when other users try to act like a mod, especially if they don't follow certain rules themselves.

Also, when regular members post something like "Ugh, you shouldn't spam...Can a mod delete this?" chances are if a mod sees the thread, they have seen the original spam post, so they would delete it anyway. </confusing...> XD

Queezle
Gremlin

Postby Queezle » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:04 pm

I'm looking around the forum, and people seem to get annoyed when you do certain things, that aren't mentioned in the rules. Such as, post something in less than 10 words. Is there anything else you should avoid doing that isn't mentioned here?

Return to “The Gates”