Do you know anyone here? Really?

A place to chill out and chat. No meaningless messages though!
lethe_naiad
The Splendiferous
The Splendiferous
Real First Name: Lauren

Re: Do you know anyone here? Really?

Postby lethe_naiad » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:40 am

American accents are so distinctive. They just cut through all other conversation.

I hate it when American's are all like "I don't have an accent, you do, blahblah". It's just because Americans are used to hearing their own accents both around themselves and on tv. I may think that my accent is normal, because it sounds normal to me, but I know it's not. There is no non-accent.

I have an Australian accent, but it's more of a general/cultivated than a broad (think Geoffrey Rush rather than Steve Irwin).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian ... nd_changes

Simply because I live in a central city, I have a higher education and I've travelled I am lessinclined to have a broad accent.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Voldy
Here's my card.
Here's my card.

Postby Voldy » Sat May 01, 2010 1:39 am

lethe_naiad wrote:I saw a video today where this American guy said 'innernet' instead of 'internet', it was adorable.

I say "innernet" most of the time....x_X haha

Kitsy wrote:Whereas I have a West-London accent, how boorrringgg. But to others it might not be xD

OMGSHUTTUP Kat, I love your accent! I remember hearing you in some Facebook videos and I was like ahhhh she sounds so awesome! XD

lethe_naiad wrote:I hate it when American's are all like "I don't have an accent, you do, blahblah". It's just because Americans are used to hearing their own accents both around themselves and on tv. I may think that my accent is normal, because it sounds normal to me, but I know it's not. There is no non-accent.

I agree. It annoys me when people say things like that, because if lots of different groups of people speak the same language, then there is no set, default accent. XD

Blaaaah we should all Skype some time. That would be interesting. XD

Elin_Darling
Golden Acorn Officer
Real First Name: Melanie

Postby Elin_Darling » Tue May 25, 2010 10:38 am

I met Somedude, once. I went to Canada and he just happened to be at the same airport and omgz. We also happened to be staying at the same hotel his house.

No but seriously, he's the only one I've met in person. I've talked to two people from here on the phone (outside of somedude, of course) and I've seen Kitty and C_C on webcam, and OH I almost met Gus when I went up to Canada but our timing was bad. He was leaving the day I was arriving, I think. Anyway. I know where he goes to Uni, and if it weren't for OTHER circumstances I could probably drop in this summer when I go up there because it's in the same city Somedude lives in. >.>

And I have Kitty, Sharkie, and a few other people on Facebook.

@ accents topic: I don't have an aksent. I'm Ammurikan.

Luna_Wolf_Norway
Elf
Real First Name: Malin

Postby Luna_Wolf_Norway » Tue May 25, 2010 10:23 pm

Mizora wrote:Yeah! That's a great idea! We'll go worldwide! A big AFC convention! :> !

Can we do that? I'd REALLY like to do that! I'd come. It would be so much fun!!!! :laughing:

I have never met anyone from here either, but I'm friends with Optiguy on face. :)
Everybody lies. (Dr. House)

History is rarely made by reasonable men.(Zedd)

Stay back human. You don't know what you're dealing with.(Holly)

Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real? (Dumbledore.) R.I.P.

Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

Postby Lime Yay » Wed May 26, 2010 4:22 am

Omg, I remember this thread!

sharkie wrote:And Lime Yay you WOULD be invited. The only thing is that people would probably be scared in case you turned us down

What?! I would not turn people down! Pfft, fine I can be a snob.

Antilles wrote:Huh, for some reason I always figured you were out in Grand Rapids or something; somewhere in western LP.

Sometimes I live farther west than my actual home, but never on the west side. Aren’t they rich out there or something? Everyone I know from the west side has too much money.

Antilles wrote:Be kind of cool to meet up, though I don't actually spend all that much time in Ann Arbor (besides sleeping.) School is at the UM-Dearborn campus, and work this summer is going to be split between Dearborn and the CCS campus in downtown Detroit.

Well, if you’re around Dearborn or Detroit, I wouldn’t be far. As of right now, I’m living in my hometown which is near Detroit. (No rehiring in Ann Arbor as hoped :() But we don’t talk enough to meet up. Maybe we should, though. Not for the purpose of meeting some day, but I haven’t talked to AFCers in a while.

lethe wrote:I hate it when American's are all like "I don't have an accent, you do, blahblah". It's just because Americans are used to hearing their own accents both around themselves and on tv. I may think that my accent is normal, because it sounds normal to me, but I know it's not. There is no non-accent.

I don’t believe in non-accents, but I DO believe in boring accents. I have a boring accent. It’s the one on television, and it’s just not a rare or pretty sounding accent.

voldy wrote:Blaaaah we should all Skype some time. That would be interesting. XD

We really should, though! Because my computer died and the only IM type thing I have on it as of now is Skype and I only have one contact so far. And I am lonely. I want AFC friends. Hahaha, did that make me sound pathetic? I do have RL friends, but I miss like, chatting and typing and that.

~lime yay
Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

Mizora
Spartan Warrior
Real First Name: Uh...Guess?
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Spinnika

Postby Mizora » Sat May 29, 2010 6:59 am

I guess I'm so used to being around other Australians that I don't notice my own accent. I guess we Australians can be a bit lazy with pronouncing words. Like I say "Melbn" instead of "Melbourne" which is pretty lazy now that I think about it. :blush:
I LOVE Harry Potter!!!
˙ɯɐ ı sɐ ʇɹɐɯs sɐ ǝɹɐ noʎ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı ¿sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ uɐɔ
BIBLE = Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth
"Lol Mizzy. MIZZZZZY. MiZoRa's box. Pandora. Mizora. Muahahaha. Insane, eh?" - Purple_Enigma
An adventure is merely an inconvenience looked at the right way, while an inconvenience is an adventure looked at the wrong way. ~G.K Chesterton
http://www.fairytalenovels.com/
EA Awards 2011-Mr. Shiny award of 2011

Lightbulb621
Orangeylicious Queen

Postby Lightbulb621 » Mon May 31, 2010 5:30 pm

Lime Yay wrote:
voldy wrote:Blaaaah we should all Skype some time. That would be interesting. XD

We really should, though! Because my computer died and the only IM type thing I have on it as of now is Skype and I only have one contact so far. And I am lonely. I want AFC friends. Hahaha, did that make me sound pathetic? I do have RL friends, but I miss like, chatting and typing and that.

~lime yay

Ohhh what's your Skype? :D I'm not going to stalk you. Promise. :P
Gus Revolution
I heart my giant orange plushie and fluffy orange doggy. AG&Tyrie<3
Member of the Obnoxious Teenagers Club.
Official Secret AFC Agent
twitter outline behance

AFFan.lollipop
Pixie
Real First Name: Elizabeth

Postby AFFan.lollipop » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:54 pm

No, I don't know anyone. :( I'm trying to get my friend who introduced me to AF to join...

To M: U SAID YOU WOULD JOIN!!! WHERE ARE YOU KNOW???? WHY WON'T YOU CHECK YOUR EMAIL???????

Edit...... I'm looking back at that post and... Wow. That sounds pathetic.
Last edited by AFFan.lollipop on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't blink.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more of a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey.... Stuff."

I have a lot of fandoms.
Spoiler:
Doctor Who, Artemis Fowl, Harry Potter, Elementary, Torchwood, Starkid, and Homestuck are some of them.

I'm loosing it. I lost it. Maddie ate it.

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi
Real First Name: Phoebe
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:22 pm

^ spam bots :eyeroll:

Er, closest I've come to meeting someone is chatting on fb XD Though me and Mere plan to meet...one day *drifts off into distance*
Nah, we said when we're 18, and given I'm 14 and she's 13 atm we have a little way to go. But she finishes school when I finish my last year at sixth form, so that kinda works out cos we'll both be in our gap years :D Though we did wonder about meeting next summer but it's unlikely :(

On accidental meetings: I actually do wonder if when I'm in a city or place where I know an AFCer lives if I'll run into them XD It'd be kinda weird...0_0
But we deffo need a giant AFC convention in a beach house in California. I'll get a few of my rich friends to get on AFC so they can pay for it >:)
I see you too! XD

hyunjoonglovie
Elf
Real First Name: Jess :P

Postby hyunjoonglovie » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:49 am

I've not met anyone on here, but on some other forum I randomly met a kid I used to go to school with so that was weird XD
We all have a dark side...

Spoiler:
That awkward moment when someone says "hi" to you, and you reply with "I'm good"... -_-

That shite moment in an argument when you realise you are wrong...

That awesome moment when the teacher asks you a question, thinking you weren't being attentive. Then you answer it right, it's like "What now! WIN!!!"

That depressing moment when your mum scribbles on the award your school gave you in congratulations for all your hard work, just to get her stupid pen to work D':

But you love me XD

AFFan.lollipop
Pixie
Real First Name: Elizabeth

Postby AFFan.lollipop » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:10 pm

I always wonder if there is someone I know personally and theyre on here but I have no idea. O.o We would chat and... Yeah. Weird.
Don't blink.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more of a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey.... Stuff."

I have a lot of fandoms.
Spoiler:
Doctor Who, Artemis Fowl, Harry Potter, Elementary, Torchwood, Starkid, and Homestuck are some of them.

I'm loosing it. I lost it. Maddie ate it.

fowl111
Apprentice Genius
Real First Name: Eoin

Postby fowl111 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:04 am

I got two of my friends to come on here once. Just once. ._.
Cools!

ZOMFG is that a COIN?! :shiny:

Stoopid PhotoBucket and my inactivity. >:(

*rape*

Mizora
Spartan Warrior
Real First Name: Uh...Guess?
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Spinnika

Postby Mizora » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:49 am

I got my brother to come on once too. He hasn't been on in months. I doubt he remembers his password.... :eyeroll:
I LOVE Harry Potter!!!
˙ɯɐ ı sɐ ʇɹɐɯs sɐ ǝɹɐ noʎ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı ¿sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ uɐɔ
BIBLE = Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth
"Lol Mizzy. MIZZZZZY. MiZoRa's box. Pandora. Mizora. Muahahaha. Insane, eh?" - Purple_Enigma
An adventure is merely an inconvenience looked at the right way, while an inconvenience is an adventure looked at the wrong way. ~G.K Chesterton
http://www.fairytalenovels.com/
EA Awards 2011-Mr. Shiny award of 2011

AthenaParadizo
Commander

Postby AthenaParadizo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:56 am

I sometimes think that it would be nice if I actually knew some of the people I've met here, because we sort of think in similar ways... so I obviously don't know anybody!

artificialGenius
Sprite
AFC Fan Fiction Name: artificialGenius

Postby artificialGenius » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:27 am

I don't know anyone on here, at least not that I know of. Maybe someone's on here and goes to the same school I go to, it could happen. But most of my friends aren't very into AF, so.
My avatar was made by feastings on tumblr.
"Well, you've gotta stop selling your soul to the devil. He's just gonna want more and more, it's like a drug."

Return to “The Square”