What Are People's Other Fandoms?

A place to chill out and chat. No meaningless messages though!
Athena32
Goblin
AFC Fan Fiction Name:MyshiCorp
What Are People's Other Fandoms?

Postby Athena32 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:30 am

I know everyone here is probably involved in the AF fandom in some way, but most people that have one fandom tend to have another. That brings about the question-What are your fandoms? The ones you actively claim? How about the ones you dabble in?

Personally I follow AF, Marvel, and Harry Potter, but that short list is growing every day :)
I'm fine, seeing as you asked.-Foaly
Gnommish… Gnommish… What blasted translation system doesn’t have Gnommish?

Merv Simestra
Commander
Real First Name:Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Merv Simetra

Re: What Are People's Other Fandoms?

Postby Merv Simestra » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:23 am

Oo.... I have a lot besides Artemis Fowl.

Active:
Tolkien fandom: I'm am, pretty much above all, a Tolkien fan. The only thing I don't like about his writings is I'm never sure which is the official version of his stories. Otherwise, he was an amazing author, and one I want to imitate in my works (though I highly doubt I will ever get there). You cannot say he is bad. I refuse to believe it.

Whovian and Sherlocked, or Wholocked, fandom: I love these two shows to bits, and I even rewatched Sherlock over last semester before the 2016 special. :) And I'm rewatching Doctor Who from the ninth doctor onward right now, too. So yeah, big Sherlock and Doctor Who fan.

LoL (League of Legends) fandom: I am not ashamed to admit this, though some others might be since the community can be toxic. I'm not as much aware of the lore of the game, but I greatly enjoy the characters and their interactions. And just playing in general. :)

Undertale fandom: I might be a little too obsessed with this game actually, though I don't really show it on here. I recommend going and playing it if you're a gamer or watching someone play through it, because you have to play it/watch it be played in order to experience it in full glory. So yeah. Go do that. It's amazing :P

Dabble:
Harry Potter fandom: I like the books and some of the fandom, but I'm not a fan of Rowling as a person.

Marvel: I only really know the movies, not the comics (sorry).

Books: in general, Paolini's Inheritance Cycle, Funke's Inkheart trilogy, Brian Jacques Redwall series, and a bunch others. But those are the ones I know the best and could probably talk for days about even though I don't actually do that.

In between:
Anime fandom: all of the anime/manga I have enjoyed because I like more than one, and to count them all would be tedious.

Artemis Fowl Fandom (Fowldom): not active as much anymore, but I definitely do more than dabble. I've even thought up a few new fanfic ideas, though I need to finish my current ones first. :P

Those are all I can think of at the moment. Though I'm sure there's more. :P
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.
Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.
Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Yona of the Dawn, Most Epic Romantic Manga

Shut up, I know I'm trash.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:52 am

Oh yeah, Tolkien's work is amazing. I sort of think of him as the father of modern fantasy. His influence is just unbelievable. (Of course, it's my dad who's the real fan of Tolkien in my family...so when we see the movies, I'm always like, 'Did such-and-such really happen in the books??') But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if you've seen dismissive criticisms of his work from some of the elite English-lit world...From what I've heard, there's a deeply ingrained prejudice against fantasy works there, though it is often phrased in such a way that's not immediately apparent. (You'll find elitism is often cloaked in sophisticated language and lofty expressions.)

For me, I sort of have an informal hierarchy in my mind of what kind of fan I am of each particular fandom. I have a casual interest in a lot of different fandoms, but a few stand out as more my favorites, and then there are those that I like well enough to actually inspire me to do work of my own (whether fanart or fanfiction). Then there are a very, very few that I consider my primary fandoms, where I have more longterm projects.

I definitely won't make out an exhaustive list (we'd be here all day), but I put down a few that I remember. I guess I'll try to break it down into four categories, to sort of reflect my thinking. x3

Level 4: (Stories I've enjoyed watching/reading, but I wouldn't necessarily go beyond that.)

-Divergent (Just read this one recently, and I was quite impressed with the interesting themes of the later books.)
-Bleach
-A lot of Pixar and/or Disney movies (I love movies that are computer animated), such as Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph, Inside Out, Toy Story, How to Train Your Dragon, and so on.

(There's probably way more, but I'm lazy at the moment. :p )

Level 3: (Series that stand out from the others, which I've watched/read through multiple times. Those that have captured my imagination enough I've thought about them a lot, and often have had a strong influence on my own works, but I haven't contemplated doing any fanwork for.)

-Skip Beat
-Code Geass
-Once Upon a Time (The television series)
-Hikaru No Go (My dad and I have been rewatching this series recently—so amazing. We only got to watch the first season when we were watching it originally, because I don't think our library had season 2, but we've been getting the seasons on Amazon.)
-Ultra Maniac (the anime more than the manga)
-Marmalade Boy (again, the anime more than the manga)
-Black Cat
-Rurouni Kenshin
-The Books of Bayern (The Goose Girl series)
-Vampire Knight (I'm only reading this one again recently, but as I'm reading, I'm remembering how the artwork really influenced my own anime-style work, so this one gets on the level three list.)
-Beast Wars (Such fond memories from my childhood; my dad and I watched the series clear through a few years ago, which was awesome.)
-Teen Titans (I liked the show so much, I went back and tried to get a hold of the old comics, and I also read some of the new ones. One of the few American comics I've actually read and gotten into.)
-Yu Yu Hakusho
-Naruto (I have a game on Xbox 360 my sister and I play, too. Or at least used to play, before she got busy with school. >> My sister and I have also read some fanfiction together, which was fun. I don't know if anyone else here is familiar with 'Team 8'...quite an amazing work.)
-Alex Rider
-Mulan (I once watched this movie ten times in the same week.)
-Ender's Game
-Inuyasha
-Hoop Days (Also called 'Dear Boys' for the manga)
-S.A. (Special A)
-Sabrina the Teenage Witch (The television series; my parents and I have been going through this one again recently. Definitely one of my family's staples.)

Level 2: (Series that are among my absolute favorites, which I've either contemplated doing fanwork for, or actually have done sporadically. I guess these are what I would call my 'dabbling' fandoms.)

-Animorphs. (Although this one is probably closer to a level 1—it's just that it was one of my earlier obsessions, when I was younger, and didn't have quite as rigorous as work ethic as I do now to put my ideas into concrete projects. So I only have a few bits of fanart here and there.)

-Harry Potter (A huge influence on my writing, and my understanding of what makes characters rich and complex.)

-Princess Nine (An anime; called 'Kisaragi Nine' in the original Japanese version. It's a sports anime about girls trying to play baseball in a boy's high school tournament. I got sucked into this story a long time ago, and my sister and I have watched this one so many times I've lost count. I started writing a story for this one centering around Yuki, the quiet girl with a bit of a darker past than the other players. I hope I'll pick it up again eventually and finish it.)

-Buso Renkin (I actually laid the groundwork for a very long fanfiction that takes places almost two decades after the events of the final episode, and even wrote a prologue and a few chapters, but I started it at the beginning of what turned out to be probably my hardest semester at university, and I didn't have time to go any further with it at the time. Some of the concepts I was planning to use in this story [for instance, the main villains of the story were clones of the main characters—or they would eventually become the main villains] eventually made their way into Noble Heart [my main AF project] instead.)

Level 1: (Fandoms which have caused me to officially cross over the threshold to insanity, which have inspired me to embark on long projects, obsessively studying the cannon for accuracy, among other things. These are my core fandoms.)

-Yugioh (Initiated my first real writing experience)

-Artemis Fowl (I learned how to use photoshop through doing fanart for this series, and through my work on fanfiction, my writing improved tremendously. My work ethic vastly improved through work on this series, and I've also learned how to be a more aggressive editor.)

-Pokemon (This one's by far one of my most enduring fandoms. I think I started playing when I was maybe twelve, and I've played clear through all the main games that have come out so far, some of them multiple times. My sister and I have even done pokemon rps, and I've written some fanfiction, though I never got far enough to feel like showing it to anyone. This is also where part of my username comes from. ;9)

Also, I've recently thought I might be adding a new one to the list. I only really got into it back in November (2015), so it's a bit early to tell if it's going to be one that'll last over a longer term, but considering I've probably done 300,000 words worth of writing for it already over the past five months (I can't count it exactly right now, because I have about eight notebooks' worth I still need to type up, but I think that's a pretty conservative estimate), I'm thinking at the moment it's pretty well established.

(Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined. It's the new gender-swapped version of Twilight that came out for Twilight's tenth anniversary. As for the original Twilight itself, I would probably put it as a level 3. I always liked Twilight, but I only ever read it [well, listened to it] twice, at least until recently. I read it again for the sake of my Life and Death projects, and I felt like reading it again now, when I'm older, I have a clearer view of the series than when I read it as a teenager. I could see why some people hate the books like they do, and why the series has been criticized for not having the most sophisticated writing style. [Course, that's really to be expected, considering the author had never written a book before, and hadn't really specifically trained for it. She hadn't intended to become an author, after all.] But, that didn't really bother me much. Stories don't reach level one status in my brain for any real rational reason, there's just something about the characters and the story that happens to capture my imagination. So, rather than feel depressed looking at the flaws in the series, it's just one more thing I enjoy analyzing. x3)

Like I said, there's probably a lot more, at least on the 2-4 levels. If I think of more later, I might add them.

...Yeah, and here, I thought this post was going to be a short one. (You'd think I'd know myself by now. xD)
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [An Artemis Fowl fanfiction, set after The Atlantic Complex.]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28 ... temis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

AliceFowl
Sprite

Postby AliceFowl » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:59 am

Well now I feel bad for this not being a super detailed post, but I have to say my other most active fandoms are mainly anime based. I'm a huge anime dork. I have to say my top anime are probably Shiki, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Kuroshitsuji, and Haikyuu!! at the moment, but I have literally tens of them that I love. I cosplay fairly seriously, and so I'd say I'm the most active in this area, fandom-wise.

Book wise, I am a huge Lewis Carroll lover. I am kind of obsessed with his novels Sylvie and Bruno and Sylvie and Bruno Concluded which, sadly, literally no one has ever heard of. But they are literally fascinating. And I am also a Potterhead, but then, who isn't?

I also love Supernatural, Doctor Who, and Sherlock. I'm one of those annoying people.
it’s so nice to meet you, let’s never meet again

Troublelover16
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name:Faith
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Troublelover16

Postby Troublelover16 » Sun May 15, 2016 5:39 am

Undertale fandom: I might be a little too obsessed with this game actually, though I don't really show it on here. I recommend going and playing it if you're a gamer or watching someone play through it, because you have to play it/watch it be played in order to experience it in full glory. So yeah. Go do that. It's amazing
OMG YES!!!! ANOTHER UNDERTALE FAN!!!!!

I'm probably a little too obsessed with this game as well...but its amazing!! I'm not even that much of a gamer but a friend of me got me to play it and honestly the story makes the whole thing awesome. So even if you arent a gamer, play it for the story... And the skeletons and puns xD among other amazing characters.

I'm currently hoping to cosplay as Undyne in a few weeks. For those who dont know, Undyne is a fish-like monster who is basically a warrior. Though I'm not the warrior version, but an AU version known as Underswap. So basically I'll be a nerdy fish scientist. :D Hopefully.

I've got tons of other fandoms as well so I'll just list those that I'm mostly in though there are tons of others that I cant think of at the moment. :P
  • Harry Potter: the series that got me into the world of nerdom and has helped me to make so many friends. I'm a proud Gryffindor (my combination house is Gryffinpuff) and this is my most active fandom. I rp like... Pretty much every day with a group I've known for 2 years now. I've got a bunch of OCs which I've transferred over to my orginal story I'm working on. I've also cosplayed as Ginny Weasley and Hermione Granger.

Undertale: Aaah see above for that rant lol

The Mortal Instruments/Shadowhunters: Amazing series if you like demons and demon hunters, as well as vampires, werewolves, and warlocks. This year was the start of the TV series adaption, Shadowhunters, which despite a few changes, is actually really awesome. Freeform as even renewed it for a second season!! In my opinion more books should be made into TV series rather than movies.

Doctor Who: I was introduced to DW by my best friend and I've been hooked ever since. Ive seen Doctors 9 through the current one,  though Tennant will always be my fave. I also cosplayed as Amy Pond once.

Sherlock: My bff also introduced me to this series. Ive seen them all except for the most recent episode. I've aslo recently bought the entire collection of the orignal stories, which I'm going to try and read this summer.

Artemis Fowl: Aah Artemis Fowl. Man do I miss the glory days of this fandom. I have a rant somewhere on this site about how I got into this book series, but long story short... It took me a couple of tries to get into the book series, but once I did I couldn't but it down. Before long I was writing fanfiction... And to this day this is the only fandom that I have fanfics in, with the exception of a few crossovers. I think a couple maybe on here on the forums, but all of my Artemis Fowl fan fics can be found on the Artemis Fowl Confidential fanfiction site. Sadly, I haven't written any fanfiction in about 2 years, since I've been trying to work on my own orginal writings, but hey, who knows... Maybe I'll find the motivation to finish up my 'Unfinished Business' ;)
    Spoiler:
    Unfinished Business is one of my unfinished fanfics fyi. I saw the opportunity to make a joke and I took it. :P
    Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus: Another great series full of witty jokes and characters that are so hard to not fall in love with. lets not talk about the movies k? I've always wanted to cosplay as a few characters from this fandom, but mostly Rachel Dare and Artemis. Also, I'm pretty sure I have a PJO/AF crossover.

Maximum Ride: Man. This series. Flying, part bird kids with other unique powers, who try to save the world? Awesome right? I highly recommend this series to anyone who hasnt read them.

Divergent: Love the books and the first movie... Was okay I guess and I haven't seen the others yet but eh. The books were great though! If I was in a Faction, it would most defintiely be Amity.

Hunger Games: The books and the movies are pretty great, sure they messed a few things up in the movies but still it was a whole lot better than the PJO movies xD Also, fun fact, the District 12 and Capitol scenes in the first movie were filmed in my state! And the District 12 set is also a tourist attraction that is about an hour from my university, but I haven't had a chance to go yet.

Marvel: I haven't read the comics, but I'm a big fan of the movies. Captain America is def my fave and I cant wait to see Civil War.

Disney: I loved Disney movies as a child and I loved them now. We're all kids at heart right? :D
Well thats all for now my fellow Fowldom members. I am really hoping to get more involved around here so I hope to be seeing you all around and getting to know you all! <3

Troublelover's Song of the Moment:
~A Million Dreams-The Greatest Showman~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSQk-4f ... &index=268
Spoiler:
They can say, they can say it all sounds crazy
They can say, they can say I've lost my mind
I don't care, I don't care, so call me crazy
We can live in a world that we design

'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
Oh, a million dreams for the world we're gonna make
2013 EA Winner of: The Friendly One, Best Taste in Avatars and Signatures,
Biggest AF Fanboy/Girl, Most Valued Non-Staff Contributor, Most Changed

2014/15 EA Winner of: Biggest Non-AF Fanboy/Girl

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:24 am

I think I read the first one of The Mortal Instruments series awhile back. It was good, it really did some unique things with the fantasy world it created, and an interesting twist at the end. (I didn't know the books were turned into a television series, that's pretty awesome. You're right, I think actually in some ways that would work better for a lot of books, having a long television series instead of just one movie. If they were to turn Artemis Fowl into a television series...I think I might just melt in a puddle of happiness. x3)

I really probably should look into Sherlock and Doctor Who. I've just heard so much about them, especially Sherlock. (And I know our family loves so many BBC productions.)

I looked into reading Percy Jackson awhile ago since so many people on this site seemed to love it. That is definitely a good series, though strangely I actually liked the second series The Heros of Olympus the most, where Percy and the others are older, and you get introduced to Jason and Piper, and the other new characters, I just remember feeling like they all just had such fascinating back stories.)

Yeah, I liked Divergent, too. (I probably liked the third book Allegiant the best.) Lol, I guess if I was put in a faction, it would probably be Erudite. (So yeah, I would be one of the bad guys. XD! For the Harry Potter houses...I'd say probably either Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. x3)

Hunger Games, I can't believe I forgot that one, that one's definitely a staple. (And yeah, I thought the movie adaptations were absolutely brilliant, right up there with the Harry Potter movies.)

But yeah, since my last post, I have another fandom to add to my 'Level 1' category... XD

I think it was sometime around last July I really got into Avatar: The Last Airbender. (Like, psychotically into.) I was just watching it as kind of side thing while I was working on furthering another project (typing up those notebooks I mentioned in the last post, actually xD), and ended up getting really sucked in. Written fanfiction, worked on a hugely ambitious fanart project...the whole nine yards. (I've also listened to hours upon hours of podcasts, analyzing details of every single episode.) I love all the characters, though I'm particularly interested in the character of Azula. (Who bears some striking similarities to Artemis, being a prodigy of a sort, a skilled manipulator and liar, and intricate planner constantly about ten steps ahead of everyone else. Her unwavering assurance of her inherent superiority to others [coming both from her elevated social status and her own natural gifts] as well as her relationship to her father and the role he likely played in her beliefs and ideals also reminded me of Artemis. Of course, Azula lacks Artemis's redeeming qualities, but I'm interested now to see where the Avatar comics take her character.)
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [An Artemis Fowl fanfiction, set after The Atlantic Complex.]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28 ... temis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Kron48
Swear Toad
Real First Name:Max
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Uhh... Foaly Jr.?

Postby Kron48 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:31 am

I kind of flit around and get really into a series, and then the next one, and then the next one, etc.
There isn't really a fandom for any of these (AFAIK) but they are amazing books/series:
Tunnels: So I originally started reading this with my dad when I was like 10 or something, but we only made it like 50 pages in. A couple years later I picked it up, read it, realized it was fricking amazing, and proceed to read the entire rest of the series :3
Transformation: An amazing and realistic Sci-Fi series (4 books total I think), but I've only read Dark Intelligence and War Factory. Neal Asher also wrote a few other series, all of which are set in the same Polity universe.
So yeah those are favorite series but there aren't really fandoms for them :P

Also Dragon's Egg is an AMAZING super-realistic sci-fi
"The end: It's gonna happen! But in the meantime, its on with the show. On with the show!" -Devo

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:00 pm

Haha, I can relate to that, sometimes I'll tend to jump from one fandom to the next, then other times I just stay in one fandom for forever. (Maybe switching back and forth between a few core ones.)

Yeah, it's unfortunate some really good series don't have real fandoms the way the most popular ones do. (Even here in AF, seems like the fandom has quieted down so much sometime it almost feels like there isn't really a fandom lately...)

Those sound pretty good, I'll have to see which ones I can get on audiobook from my library and maybe I'll check them out. C: (Lately it seems like I've been reading mostly business kind of books, like The Power of Habit and Originals. XD)

Kron48
Swear Toad
Real First Name:Max
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Uhh... Foaly Jr.?

Postby Kron48 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:25 am

Haha, yeah. I mean Percy Jackson and BTS get these ridiculous fandoms, yet some genuinely good things don't. And yeah, Percy Jackson is fine, but the fandom is waaaaaaay out of proportion
"The end: It's gonna happen! But in the meantime, its on with the show. On with the show!" -Devo

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:50 am

Yeah, it is funny how some things just blow up into something huge, and other things don't. (BTS?? Sorry, you'll have to remind me what that one was. If I knew, I've already forgotten. xD) I've often wondered exactly what the dynamic there is. I think part of whether things become hugely famous can have to do with timing and luck (if someone influential happens to read it and really believe in it). But lately, I've also come to think that it can be something particular about the kind of story it is, something about the characters or the way the story is developed just captures the imagination and is particularly memorable, even if there are many other stories that, in terms of writing skill and more technical aspects, are more sophisticated.

(For me personally, I've found when I read or watch a show where the characters are interesting but the plot is more simplistic, I find myself wanting to see the characters in new and different situations, and that gets me excited, because I end up planning or imagining scenarios out for myself. Whereas if I read a novel I find particularly sophisticated in plot and writing, I'll think it's amazing and maybe feel more satisfied at the end, but that feeling of satisfaction means most of the time I won't think much about the book later. Once I'm done with the book, I'm done, and I don't end up joining a fandom.) I'm not sure if anyone else experiences that, but I always wonder if there could be something like that that plays into how series blow up in popularity. (Huh, I wonder if there have been studies done on the psychology of fandoms. Seems like there would be. I've been reading a lot of those business-study kind of books lately. XD)

Return to “The Square”