Beijing Olympics

General Entertainment Chat. Please use the specific sub-forums.
Gus
Master of Haven
Re: Beijing Olympics

Postby Gus » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:55 am

Well, no, not quite. It's almost bordering on the government telling the people what to think.

I was reading an article about how this little girl in China was training for weight lifting. 2012, probably. The reporter asked her what she liked to do. "Lifting weights." "Besides lifting weights." "Lifting weights."
Image Image
My Artemis Fowl game: Part One | Part Two | Part Three

Rochenut
Shedding Harp Seal

Postby Rochenut » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:08 am

LOL I see. To be fair that's a response lots of kids would utter.

What that kid wouldn't have though, is a normal academic career. See that to me is the crux of the issue. Where I live it is a common complaint that all kids go on the same academic careers, and no one really goes to the sport schools. That's why we don't get medals. One wonders why we aren't accused of being cruel because we force kids to study at a young age.

In China they pick good kids to enrol in these ~notorious~ sport schools. The rest go on the traditional path to uni the rest of the world is familiar with. Because the kids who enter sport schools don't get to experience a ~normal~ scholastic experience, it is very easy to brush such an anomaly aside as an example of cruelty.

athenadowell
Atlantean

Postby athenadowell » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:48 pm

Good point. I guess you can use that as part of the reason why China is getting so many Golds in this olympic. XD Man, they're good.

Micheal Phelps is awesome! 11 Gold medals! Woot~
Also, I'm looking forward to the tennis finals (especially the men's singles XD). I have a feeling that, even though the number 1 seed is Federer, Nadal will win the Gold. I mean, Federer hasn't really been playing his best this year (He lost to Nadal in the final match in Wimbledon. :() But, I guess you never know, he did beat Berdych during the quarterfinals. XD We'll see what happens. Hopefully, they'll be the two players left to compete for the gold. :laughing:

And I want to see the showdown between Venus and Serena in the women's finals. That would be awesome to watch since the two of them are doubles partners AND sisters. So they probably know each other's weaknesses. I wonder how it's going to turn out? I'm so excited!! Thank goodness the finals for both are on the weekend~ ^^
"Trust me. I'm a genius." Artemis Fowl II
"Whatever they're paying me, it isn't enough." Foaly

Gus
Master of Haven

Postby Gus » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:31 pm

Yeah, go Michael Phelps. Eleven gold medals at two Olympics... the previous record was nine and over a longer period...

And Phelps is still going. If he manages to get his eight golds in Beijing, Speedo, his sponsor, will give him $1 million.

Canada... um. Still nothing. Remember how yesterday I said we might get a gold? The divers placed fifth.

Also, I checked some old stats. At the way things are going, Michael Phelps will have won more gold medals at Beijing than Team Canada did at Athens and Sydney.

Why does Canada suck so much? :(
Image Image

Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

Postby Lime Yay » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:40 am

Yeah, go Michael Phelps. Eleven gold medals at two Olympics... the previous record was nine and over a longer period...

And Phelps is still going. If he manages to get his eight golds in Beijing, Speedo, his sponsor, will give him $1 million.

Canada... um. Still nothing. Remember how yesterday I said we might get a gold? The divers placed fifth.

Also, I checked some old stats. At the way things are going, Michael Phelps will have won more gold medals at Beijing than Team Canada did at Athens and Sydney.

Why does Canada suck so much? :(

Yeaaah, Phelps! He's such a beast! AND he won a gold with his eyes closed! Hehe.

Oh, Gus. You can't measure your country against one man. Canada's been doing pretty good in rowing, right? Though I think you guys are beating yourselves up a bit. Every time they interview a Canadian, they're all "I'm so sorry, Canada. I should have done better," or something equally depressing. It's not all about the medals. (Does that sound condescending coming from an American? :P I've been watching CBC so much I think I'm turning into a Canadian myself, though.)

It helps that the US has a big population, though. Better chance of getting someone really good. Same with China.

Somehow I only found out about this today: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Moussambani. I thought it was amusing, though. What a cutie.

~Lime Yay
Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

Rochenut
Shedding Harp Seal

Postby Rochenut » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:38 am

The whole USA swim team is so cute! Lochte and Peirsol hee.

marzandstars
Council Member

Postby marzandstars » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:13 pm

When Canada was parading the fact for them was something like they're the only country to have hosted the Olympics and not won a gold medal.
Wow. At least it's pretty legendary :P

We must be swift as a coursing river
With all the force of a great typhoon
With all the strength of a raging fire
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon

*rapes* with muchos love from a mysterious sig-raping shadow *disappears*
THIS IS NOT VOLDY. It is a mysterious sig!rapist, leaving some love. *hugs*

athenadowell
Atlantean

Postby athenadowell » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:43 pm

Lime Yay is right when she said that it's not only about the medals. What matters is that the athletes did their best and had fun, right? XD Maybe this just isn't Canada's year, you know? And don't lose hope. The Olympics isn't over yet. XD

About that $1 million and speedo thing, I didn't know that! Man, winning Gold and more money. Phelps could retire after the Olympics and still live comfortably for the rest of his life!
It helps that the US has a big population, though. Better chance of getting someone really good. Same with China.
I agree. But seriously, China is so awesome. The last time I checked, even though US has more medals, it's China that has more Gold. I mean, we only have half of what China has!

Did you guys watch the women's synchronized diving and gymnastics? I was speechless. They were so good. :laughing:

It's my 100th post! WOot!~ So happy!! ^^
"Trust me. I'm a genius." Artemis Fowl II
"Whatever they're paying me, it isn't enough." Foaly

mervalbrill
Gremlin

Postby mervalbrill » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:32 pm

FREEDOM FOR TIBET I'm boycotting the olympics.
best show

Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

Postby Lime Yay » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:51 am

Women's Gymnastics tends to have all these really flowery flourishes in their performances. They break out in extravagant dance all the time on the floor routines. Not dance-like gymnastic moves, but dance moves(at least in some cases). I don't remember the Men's Gymnastics competitors doing this, at least not to this extreme extent. I may be wrong, but I just recall it being that way. Though I'll admit I did not see as much men's as women's. So yeah; I don't think the men do as much of the flourishes. Which is very disappointing. It's hilarious enough when the women do it-- the men would be downright lmao-tastic.

Just a thought.

~Lime Yay
Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

Rochenut
Shedding Harp Seal

Postby Rochenut » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:55 am

I like the dance moves, they are cute.

CONGRATS NASTIA LIUKIN!!!! Totally deserved the win.

EDIT: OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG Singapore beat South korea in TABBLE TENNIS

We get at least a silver! Huzzah finally a medal rofl.

arty_gal
Tomato President

Postby arty_gal » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:01 pm

Ha, the fireworks were mostly digital, the girl was just pretty, the guards wore diapers, the minority kids were fake, and they stripped women to make sure their body contours were ideal!

That felt good. :P

*hides from mob*
Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields.
Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about.
Strawberry Fields forever.

*showers with confetti and love* I am the ninja of lavvv. *rapes*

Rochenut
Shedding Harp Seal

Postby Rochenut » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:18 am

The title of the thread is BEIJING OLYMPICS not OLYMPICS OPENING CEREMONY.

In on-topic news, Canada wins stuff! Gold, silver and bronze medals in rowing and wrestling. I watched a bit of rowing yesterday, it's quite fun.

Can't wait for tonight's match against China. o_____________o

Gus
Master of Haven

Postby Gus » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:13 am

MICHAEL PHELPS

He did it! One million from Speedo, eight gold medals in Beijing, fourteen total, ten of which were individual...

It was so close... unbelievable.
Image Image

arty_gal
Tomato President

Postby arty_gal » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:09 am

The title of the thread is BEIJING OLYMPICS not OLYMPICS OPENING CEREMONY.
High strung!

But yeah, I haven't seen one event. Time and timings are bad.

I do know about Michael Phelps, though. Congratulations to him!
Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields.
Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about.
Strawberry Fields forever.

*showers with confetti and love* I am the ninja of lavvv. *rapes*

Return to “Entertainment”