What is a sport?

General Entertainment Chat. Please use the specific sub-forums.
Lime Yay
Ten o' clock
What is a sport?

Postby Lime Yay » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:31 pm

Title says it all. What is a sport? Does cheerleading count as a sport? What about fishing? Poker? What are the criteria that makes an activity a sport?

I met a boy who would dismiss cheerleading as a nonsport, but claimed that fishing was a sport. I don't know if I consider cheerleading a sport (it doesn't really have that "game" aspect, but a lot of sports don't, so whatevs), but I'd consider cheerleading a sport much, much more easily than I'd consider fishing a sport.

Anyway, for all of you that don't live in the US: do you have cheerleaders? I was just wondering because for us, cheerleaders/marching band play a large role in American football games, that's what's really defined and developed them here. If they just performed at say, basketball games, they'd be a lot more tame, so I was wondering what all y'all's cheerleading and marching bands were like?

Is marching band a sport?

~LIme Yay
Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

artyboy
Pixie
Real First Name:Nikolai

Re: What is a sport?

Postby artyboy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:36 am

yes we do have cheerleaders here, but they doesn't play as big a role as in the US.

i think there has to be some kind of competition involved in it, and it needs to have a physical aspect to be a sport.

from that description I'll agree with you, cheerleading is a sport, but fishing isn't.

no i wouldn't consider marching band a sport.

Griffar
Commander
Real First Name:Alex
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Griffar

Postby Griffar » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:04 am

i think there has to be some kind of competition involved in it,
Your exactly right, then you kind of go and counter youself by saying
cheerleading is a sport, but fishing isn't.
In fishing they have competition. And it has a physical aspect. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to reel in snapper, or a marlin. Snapper is a lot easier than Marlin but still puts up a valient fight. They compete for the biggest fish lengthways and width. So in that way fishing is a sport.

now to my fave sport, poker.

Some say it isn't a sport, but there is competition, and basically for a sport to happen there needs to be a competition of sort. In poker there is a massive competition. I was watching the Asia Pacific Poker Tour and it is a huge game of strategy and, they play for a massive prize. I haven't been through that link, but it's the official site for the tour so ima sure there will be info about the competition.

I know you love one hundreds and thousands

Your Tears don't fall, they crash aroud me

Her conscience calls, the guilty to come home

gotta love Bullet For My Valentine

Winter
Pixie

Postby Winter » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:29 am

My definition of a sport would be a competitive physical game.

However, here is Dictionary.com's definition. It includes fishing =]
an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Griffar
Commander
Real First Name:Alex
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Griffar

Postby Griffar » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:41 am

See, there you have it. Fishing a sport. *whispers in Xephia's directions* did they mention poker?

I know you love one hundreds and thousands

Your Tears don't fall, they crash aroud me

Her conscience calls, the guilty to come home

gotta love Bullet For My Valentine

Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

Postby Lime Yay » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:37 pm

See, there you have it. Fishing a sport. *whispers in Xephia's directions* did they mention poker?
But Poker has no physical aspect. It's like calling Clue Jr a sport or any other board game. Yes, there is competition, but it takes no physical skill to do. Same with video games. Also competitive, but not sports.

And Artyboy, Marching Band IS competitive, and it IS very physical. It's more about physical deftness and cooridination than strength, you need to be able to play and march at the same time and it's quite a challenge physically. I mean, I don't know if I'd call it a sport, but based on that definition it is.

So I think the term "sport" is thrown around easily, because everyone wants their hobby to be a sport. Sport has such a positive connotation. But yeah, there's really loose definitions for it.

~LIme Yay
Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

Bornsatin
Elf
Real First Name:Raza

Postby Bornsatin » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:59 pm

Check out the Wikipedia list of 'sports', it's almost hilarious! They consider speed-cubing (Rubix Cube solving) a sport. I guess I should sign up.

Return to “Entertainment”