Lord ofThe Rings

Talk about the latest action movies, sci-fi thrillers, horrors and chick-flicks here!

WHO likes it?

Likes it.
90%
Doesn't like it
10%

Total votes: 31

artemis fowl 1
Swear Toad

Lord ofThe Rings

Postby artemis fowl 1 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:26 pm

Does anybody like the lord of hte rings? WHo does?
I am always serious. Trust me I've never been wrong yet.

Sydney Fowl
Centaur

Re: Lord ofThe Rings

Postby Sydney Fowl » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:16 pm

I really loved the movies, but for some reason the writing style in the books drove me crazy and I couldn't finish reading them.
“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.”-Chuck Palahniuk

MASTER I
Council Member

Postby MASTER I » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:22 pm

I loved the films too! Lord of the Rings would be high on my list of favourite movies. But I reckon the books were even better. I had to read them slow though, just to think about everything.
"My tongue will tell the anger of my heart or else my heart concealing it will break and rather than it shall, I will be free even to the uttermost, as I please, in words."

"Talk not to me: I will go sit and weep
Till I can find occasion of revenge."

XOLEPsFirstOX
Commander

Postby XOLEPsFirstOX » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:24 pm

LOVE the movies, but I haven't read the books either. But, judging on what is being said, are they really all that complicated? I mean, I've read that they can be a bit to complicated and hard to undersant in terms of issues and the over all message for kids or even teens.
"The pain goes away....the pride stays"
Thanx to Imm for my sig!

Original pic provided by the genius of MASTER I, ain't it beautiful?

IMMORTAL is a pathological liar that also suffers from DD and Narcassist disorder among other mental illnesses, stay away if you care for YOUR health.

Avatar provided by master of graphics Voldy, art can be see here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=539&hilit=&start=135

Immortal
Skilled Necromancer
Real First Name: Lucifer

Postby Immortal » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:04 am

They were terrific! The pace while slow picked up at precisely the right place and the battles were well discribed.

Voldy
Here's my card.
Here's my card.

Postby Voldy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:59 am

I remember reading The Hobbit a long time ago...I really loved that book. Then I read The Fellowship of the Ring--rather slowly, though. No, it's not so much that the writing is complicated, it's just that it's...somewhat boring. It seems like he feels so pretentious about his writing, so he tries to write as much as he can, and as descriptive as he can. He spends 25 pages describing like, Bill the horse or something...

The Hobbit was great; FotR was good, though hard to get through; and I never finished the Two Towers. The movies, however, are quite good; not something that I would want to watch over and over again, but they're good. (Though I haven't seen all of TT and RotK.)

Oh, and it also annoys me how he delves way too much into this mythical land...Don't get me wrong, I love fantasy, and I really like when alternate worlds are used in novels. But I mean, he has separate volumes just on the history of Middle-Earth...It's just weird to me.

To sum it all up, as the hype of LotR went up, my liking for it went down.

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

Re: Lord of The Rings

Postby Kitsy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:58 am

Well, overall, I thought the books were pretty good. I mean, they're fantasically written and all the effort he put into it is really amazing. However, at times I found parts quite boring and just wanted to get to the next chapter.
But some bits really interested me, 'specially Merry&Pippin's stories towards the latter books. And Aragorn's stuff. He was cool. XD

I've read the books a couple of times, but I tend to skip certain bits now, like Tom Bowhatshisname and stuffs.

And the movies, well, they were great. XD Not something to watch over and over again, but I've seen 'em a few times. <3 to Gollum. XD
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

arty_gal
Tomato President

Postby arty_gal » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:50 am

I love LoTR! Very Happy And that's pretty much it. XD
Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields.
Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about.
Strawberry Fields forever.

*showers with confetti and love* I am the ninja of lavvv. *rapes*

Immortal
Skilled Necromancer

Postby Immortal » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:12 am

Holly, it is Bombadil, take it from a die hard fan of LOTR. And Gollum was great, I loved 'my precioussssss'.

arty_gal
Tomato President

Postby arty_gal » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:56 pm

Jangrafess wrote:*wants to be able to read Tengwar*

I can! </boasting> Took me quite some time. Bit confusing. Razz Still haven't finished learning Quenya though. Had to stop.
Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields.
Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about.
Strawberry Fields forever.

*showers with confetti and love* I am the ninja of lavvv. *rapes*

Diana
Ruler of the People

Postby Diana » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:02 pm

I agree with voldy, mostly... I know that LotR was written mostly for Tolkien's own personal enjoyment rather than for a general audience, but that doesn't make it any better-written. As a story, it's interesting, but dragged down by the details in a lot of places. And... Tolkien sucks at poetry. I'm sorry, but he does.

The movies were awesome, but I've only watched them a few times. (Compared to, say, Serenity, which I've watched upwards of 15 times, and The Devil Wears Prada, which I've watched about 6 times since I got it on DVD...)
(My avatar was given its awesome existence by the benevolent Voldy.
If Cuddy doesn't look familiar, don't talk to me till you've clicked this.)

smallhobbit
Pixie
Real First Name: Hannah

Postby smallhobbit » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:30 pm

*points to username* Is that enough of an answer for you?

Anyway, yes, I do love LotR, but I don't really read it that often... So far I've only read it in 6th-7th grades (in other words, from 2001-2003) when the movies were coming out and I had a bit of an incentive, but I have reread The Hobbit this year.
A good way to get though them easier is to apparently skip from the end of Fellowship to the second half of Two Towers. That's technically what I did...
It's time I've started coming back here more often.

Insanty-It's a family thing.

Nikita
Tweetie

Postby Nikita » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:40 am

I started reading LotR in fourth grade, and quickly got bored. Picked it up again in 5th grade, and I loved it. I found myself skipping over sections though, and I had to go back because I skipped over some vital parts. His descriptions, though amazing, were sort of unneccesary and I found myself drifting away from the book and into sleepland. Razz But after I picked up the plot, I reread it and LOVED the detail and effort he put into the book.

LotR is an inspiration for all fantasy writers. Definitely.

And finally, *points to av*
Owen: You okay? Want to get a drink or something?
Cristina: Oh. Oh, now we're on again 'cause the mood suits you? Because I'm the sad little girl with no friends and I tripped your savior complex into action? Usually I can deal with the hot and cold thing, but not today. Just leave me the hell alone.

Ihdreniel
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Hannah

Postby Ihdreniel » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:41 am

I love, love, love The Lord of the Rings. I saw the movies first and loved them, but actually only read the books fairly recently, considering. I love both the books and the movies, but if I had to choose, I'd have to say I liked the books better. Legolas was so much cooler in the books, IMHO. I didn't really have an opinion on him when I saw the movies for the first time, but after reading the books, his characterization onscreen started to annoy me. Razz

Voldy wrote:He spends 25 pages describing like, Bill the horse or something...

Excuse me, it's Bill the Pony. XD

Voldy wrote:Oh, and it also annoys me how he delves way too much into this mythical land...Don't get me wrong, I love fantasy, and I really like when alternate worlds are used in novels. But I mean, he has separate volumes just on the history of Middle-Earth...It's just weird to me.

Really? That was one of my favorite things about it- I loved how he created the various languages of Middle-earth, especially. ::wants to be able to read Tengwar as well::
"eeeep!" says the insane chibling.
And then. . .

It attacks.

Image Image Image
Co-President of the Obnoxious Teenager Club
"Quantity > quality! Remember that."
~ Voldy

(P.S. Ze opéra ghost wants 'is paycheck.)

Immortal
Skilled Necromancer

Postby Immortal » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:40 am

I love the history, my favorite book in the series was actually simarallion.

Return to “Movies”