Lord ofThe Rings

Talk about the latest action movies, sci-fi thrillers, horrors and chick-flicks here!

WHO likes it?

Likes it.
90%
Doesn't like it
10%

Total votes: 31

Artificial Asian
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name: Kayley
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Artificial Asian

Re: Lord ofThe Rings

Postby Artificial Asian » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:46 pm

*squee* Pippin fan! :D I'm not alone here!
Merry and Pip both get jipped in that movie. They get all their good parts cut out!
"THiS... iS Not ANTi-AMeRiCAN. iT'S ANTi-WAR."

Cat Moon
Commander
Location: HIVE - The Higher Institute of Villainous Education

Postby Cat Moon » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:03 pm

Yeah, I know! I got ready to watch T2T, and I was seriously expecting some Merry and Pippin awesomeness - and then they were barely in it!
My favourite one has to be RotK, because Merry and Pippin actually get some screen time in which their characters develop. :laughing:
Thankyou for my avvie, Rain! I luv it!!! :laughing:

Do not let the Cat out. No matter what I tell you. :shiny:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

Artificial Asian
Tunnel Blue Spider

Postby Artificial Asian » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:31 pm

Yeah, but that wasn't all from the book... like Pippin lighting the torch and that stuff... still, yeah, at least they get some good parts, a bit of heroism. But I'm still mad at them for cutting the Uruk-hai scene down so much! D:<

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:49 pm

J.R.R. Tolkien is my hero.

I don't even really LOVE the Lord of the Rings books all that much--I can't read them for very long, because for some strange reason they make me really depressed.

I love him mainly because he was the author to go there--to say, yes, something can be a great, classic work of literature and be a fantasy, too. In just four books, he singlehandedly brought an entire literary genre into legitimacy (because before then people thought that books about other worlds like Middle Earth were escapist and not serious). Thus, he paved the way for generations of other fantasy writers--and since I want to eventually become one, he's a big figure in my life. He proved that you can make a story about life-and-death friendship, bravery, responsibility, love, the power of the spirit to triumph over fear, forgiveness, trust-- everything that makes an epic story, get you REALLY invested and enveloped in it, and have it exist somewhere that we can only imagine. No, the books are not perfect--but I don't focus on what Tolkien did wrong because he did so many things right.

But yes, I actually do like the books, too, even if I can't read them for a long sitting. Sam is completely my favorite, in the movie as well as the book. He's the real hero of the books, if you ask me. If only everyone had a friend like him, I think the world would have a lot fewer bad people.
"Stories are the only thing worth dying for."
~The Unwritten

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

Postby Kitsy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:19 pm

I watched half of the third movie the other day - I love them all so much. I havn't been able to read the books for a while though; I tried recently but got bored. The bit where it describes, in great detail, about almost every day of Sam and Frodo's journey nearly made me die the first few times I read it D:

The best bits are the ones with Pippin and Merry :D
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

Antilles
Rolling Thunder
Real First Name: Mohammad

Postby Antilles » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:44 pm

No, the best bit of the entire trilogy is Sam's speech at the end of The Two Towers. I cry EVERY TIME.

Love the books, although the parts in Mordor do drag a bit. But the movies are some of my all time favorites.
"oh sharkie is so evul" -sharkie
"Oh sure, ANTILLES gets love and hugs and confetti. What do I get? The halfway empty coffee carafe...and someone left the creamer out...it has lumps in it. I hate you all." -IzzyTehMuze
"OMGWOOT I COULD FEED 33 HUNGRY WEASELS" -Nick

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:14 pm

Antilles wrote:No, the best bit of the entire trilogy is Sam's speech at the end of The Two Towers. I cry EVERY TIME.

Love the books, although the parts in Mordor do drag a bit. But the movies are some of my all time favorites.

Me too!
BkkprGirl wrote:But yes, I actually do like the books, too, even if I can't read them for a long sitting. Sam is completely my favorite, in the movie as well as the book. He's the real hero of the books, if you ask me. If only everyone had a friend like him, I think the world would have a lot fewer bad people.

'Frodo wouldn't have got very far without Sam' :laughing:

Artificial Asian wrote:Yeah, but that wasn't all from the book... like Pippin lighting the torch and that stuff... still, yeah, at least they get some good parts, a bit of heroism. But I'm still mad at them for cutting the Uruk-hai scene down so much! D:<

I always cry when I watch the scene where the light goes over the mountains and the Rohirrim see it - it's just really dramatic. I wasn't too bothered about most of the Pippin and Merry stuff not being canon, because it made up for lost stuff in T2T. :blush:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

Artificial Asian
Tunnel Blue Spider

Postby Artificial Asian » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:05 pm

I suppose so...
Am I the only one who cries every freakin time I see the end of Return of the King? I've seen it four times without commentary, and every time I end up at least tearing up...

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:12 am

Oh, Lord yes! I always end up bawling at the end of that movie, and I've seen it so many times! I find those movies so emotionally intense. It's partly why I can't read the books for a long period of time. They affect me so much.
"Stories are the only thing worth dying for."
~The Unwritten

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:14 pm

Me too! The only one of the movies I watch with any kind of regularity is T2T, because it's the only one that doesn't have a depressing ending. Top tip, switch off at the point where they ride back into the Shire. Call me wet or whatever, but it's what I do. It's stops me crying my eyes out!

~Moist von Lipwig

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:06 pm

:shiny: I can't believe I just realized that this thread existed!
Squee!!!

Yes, of course I LOVE LOTR! I'm obsessed! (obviously) :loveeyes:
I like the movies more than the books, but it's probably because I saw them before I read them, (or because they're just plain awesome!)
When I've actually read the posts in here, I'll have something more productive to say, but I just had to let you know that I'm obsessed with LOTR (have been for like 7 years or so).

Edit: Ok, so, yes of course I have all three in extended editions. I have so many different versions of them. They are the absolute greatest movies ever created. I love them so much.
Yes, of course Sam is the true hero. Frodo is so weak. But Aragorn is also the other hero, more than Frodo. I love Aragorn.
I have an LOTR collection. I used to clip out every single add or article about the movies from ever newpaper we got, and I still have them all. For practically every year after I first saw them I was Arwen for Halloween, and I even have an Evenstar necklace, and an Elven Brooch.
I wear "The One Ring" every day, around my neck *looks at it and starts stroking it* I have so many LOTR trading cards it's ridiculous, but they don't really sell them anymore, so my dream of collecting all of them is starting to fade. I never actually got around to organizing all of them though. I even have special edition cards that were only available for a limited time.
I have so many posters, but they aren't actually all on the walls of my room.
I'm so bummed that I didn't get to go to "Trilogy Tuesday" where they showed all three movies in a row in a theater. (I clipped the add out though). I only got to see ROTK in theaters because I didn't get into them until after TTT came out on VHS.
I've seen the movies at least 20 times. I haven't watched them in a while though. I need to do that.

That's kind of all I can think of at this point. But if that's not proof of obsession, I don't know what is.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Mizora
Spartan Warrior
Real First Name: Uh...Guess?
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Spinnika

Postby Mizora » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:07 am

I LOVE the movies and the books!!! I especially love Pippin's Irish accent in the movies. It's so cute! People look at me weird when I say I've read the books 'cos they think I'm to young to be handling books like that. Sigh.Teenagers. Sadly underestimated.
I LOVE Harry Potter!!!
˙ɯɐ ı sɐ ʇɹɐɯs sɐ ǝɹɐ noʎ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı ¿sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ uɐɔ
BIBLE = Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth
"Lol Mizzy. MIZZZZZY. MiZoRa's box. Pandora. Mizora. Muahahaha. Insane, eh?" - Purple_Enigma
An adventure is merely an inconvenience looked at the right way, while an inconvenience is an adventure looked at the wrong way. ~G.K Chesterton
http://www.fairytalenovels.com/
EA Awards 2011-Mr. Shiny award of 2011

Artificial Asian
Tunnel Blue Spider

Postby Artificial Asian » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:05 pm

It's a Scottish accent <3
I know, people don't get how I like stuff like that. They look at me and think "emo" and that's the end of that.

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:28 pm

Artificial Asian wrote:It's a Scottish accent <3
I know, people don't get how I like stuff like that. They look at me and think "emo" and that's the end of that.

How would they possibly think you were emo for liking a Scottish accent?

Mizora wrote:I LOVE the movies and the books!!! I especially love Pippin's Irish accent in the movies. It's so cute! People look at me weird when I say I've read the books 'cos they think I'm to young to be handling books like that. Sigh.Teenagers. Sadly underestimated.

How old were you when you read them?
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Artificial Asian
Tunnel Blue Spider

Postby Artificial Asian » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Ahahah, no, that was in reply to what Mizora said. Guess I shoulda quoted XD

Return to “Movies”