Slumdog Millionaire

Talk about the latest action movies, sci-fi thrillers, horrors and chick-flicks here!
winnie1994
Atlantean
Real First Name: Winnie

Re: Slumdog Millionaire

Postby winnie1994 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:58 am

This looks amazing--I think almost half the Oscars were given to this film... It hasn't come out in the place where I live yet, but I'd definitely go and see it^^
Lollipops!---Artemis Fowl Junior

Rochenut
Shedding Harp Seal

Postby Rochenut » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:44 pm

sharkie wrote:
Rochenut wrote:I just felt a little uncomfortable about the slum setting, a little exploitative if you will. I feel this a lot with movies that feature the developing world.

O saya is my favourite too!! The Paper Planes remix is so cool.

I thought the slum setting was... done tastefully. It was such a colourful film- it didn't patronise the people who lived there at all. Wheras many people wouldhave tried to portray it as a hell-hole, this film said, yes it's a horrible place BUT people live there, and they aren't all junkies and etc like we'd expect in slums remotely like that where I live, and there is culture there. Is it better to ignore the slums altogether because they make you uncomfortable? It brought attention to the conditions some people live in in a tactful way.

Um it makes me uncomfortable because it makes the IRL subjects uncomfortable. It got lukewarm responses in India. It's even less popular in the smaller towns. I follow Indian news sites as part of my job and I've read mostly negative or blah reviews of it. Who decides what is tactful or not? The people in the slums? It's a movie, not a documentary, so I'm looking at it as such. It won the Oscar, I'm not saying it wasn't deserved, but it had a great positive message that was culture-blind. The people who dislike the movie might say it draws uncomfortable parallels with real life, but it is a valid reason, because these are the people who live in those very conditions and are part of a greater culture that wants to move forward, not wanting to be reminded of these great flaws. The latter has nothing to do with ignorance or glossing over whatever, just a real life echo of the true meaning of the movie - trudging FORWARD no matter what- and not some pseudo-accurate depiction of slumminess.

sharkie
Crazy Cat Lady
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby sharkie » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:10 pm

I think a country with those flaws should constantly be reminded of those flaws. one of the big criticisms of bollywood is that it doesn't show any of this. I think it's all very good to say that it's a developing country that is moving forward, but that doesn't mean they should ignore the bad things.

Besides, a lot of the response to Slum Dog Millionaire is the whole idea of "Oh but its a westerner", I normally want to go 'yeah but it's Danny Boyle'. I don't even know how to respond to this, Westerners don't seem to be allowed to do anything without that being used against them, journalists too are always getting the piss ripped out of them.

But the only reason I'm defending it so.. violently is because as a film I did think it was brilliant. It seemed to combine being over the top and realistic- and had me nearly jumping up in my seat screaming at the screen.
*TEETH KNASH* The yellow ducks shall eat your socks in the nighttime
Took Jangrafess out my sig, clearly he doesn't appreciate old respect when he's pulling stunts like that
Raped your sig to tell you, that yes it is! ~AG
Who cares. - Someone

I want to verb your noun

POKEMON BEASTIALITY PWNS ALL (yes, that was me - Jangra)

SORREH, Niki, teal is my color. ^_^ *rape* BOLD FTW. - Voldylicious
i thought you needed new rape from me and i like this color so *rapes* (:
oohhh kittyyy, she's so orgasmically amazing. *rapes*

Rochenut
Shedding Harp Seal

Postby Rochenut » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:36 am

sharkie wrote:I think a country with those flaws should constantly be reminded of those flaws. one of the big criticisms of bollywood is that it doesn't show any of this. I think it's all very good to say that it's a developing country that is moving forward, but that doesn't mean they should ignore the bad things.

But they ARE constantly reminded of the bad things! Bollywood is so successful precisely because of its escapist nature, for an affordable price you could forget things. Imagine you're a developing country looking for investors. What sort of image do you want to portray? Certainly not Slumdog Millionaire.

The movie had those qualities you mentioned, it got the Oscar, that's that. I think it's great that its receiving criticism because people should consider the sensitivities of culture portrayal and the fact that it's not just the West that takes them in, it's the entire world that is the consumer.

Venom Wolf
Pixie

Postby Venom Wolf » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:13 pm

First off, I reccently enjoyed the movie and thought it was great.

However, I understand the criticism it has received. India has been developing its ICT industry at a rapid pace and new cities are being built everyday. This was mentioned briefly in the film (I think his brother tells him that the slum they grew up in has been cleared away for a city block). It has been working hard to get rid of its Third World image and I think they feel that Slumdog Millionaire has undermined their effort.

It must be said though, the basic premise of Slumdog can work anywhere in the world. Eg, the Bronx area of New York.

jessiquita
Pixie
Real First Name: Jess

Postby jessiquita » Sun May 17, 2009 4:45 pm

When I saw this movie the biggest thing that stood out to me was the love story which I consider to be one of the best love stories I have ever seen. This theme of destiny and showing their whole lives growing up was so touching and beautiful and the music complimented it so well. Especially when it flashes between them as young children and older now during 'Jai Ho'.

Side Note: DAMN YOU PUSSYCAT DOLLS. DON'T EVER TRY TO REDO AN AMAZING OSCAR WINNING SONG LIKE JAI HO AGAIN. *cough* Nuff' said.

I will be buying this when it comes out on DVD.

Voldy
Here's my card.
Here's my card.

Postby Voldy » Sun May 17, 2009 7:29 pm

jessiquita wrote:Side Note: DAMN YOU PUSSYCAT DOLLS. DON'T EVER TRY TO REDO AN AMAZING OSCAR WINNING SONG LIKE JAI HO AGAIN. *cough* Nuff' said.

lmao I haven't seen the movie, but I have seen the Pussycat Dolls' version of that. The video seems inappropriate for a Slumdog Millionaire cover. I mean, at least once, can they not try to be provocative? XD

Kelsey Rain (:
Golden Acorn Officer
Real First Name: KelseyRain
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Kelsey Rain

Postby Kelsey Rain (: » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:23 pm

It's honestly one of the best movies ever (:

jessiquita
Pixie
Real First Name: Jess

Postby jessiquita » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:11 pm

Voldy wrote:
jessiquita wrote:Side Note: DAMN YOU PUSSYCAT DOLLS. DON'T EVER TRY TO REDO AN AMAZING OSCAR WINNING SONG LIKE JAI HO AGAIN. *cough* Nuff' said.

lmao I haven't seen the movie, but I have seen the Pussycat Dolls' version of that. The video seems inappropriate for a Slumdog Millionaire cover. I mean, at least once, can they not try to be provocative? XD

I know! Grr......

Side Note: I just found out that the couple in the movie are a couple in real life! AWWWW!!!!!! :shiny:

wolfhowl
Tunnel Blue Spider

Postby wolfhowl » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:58 pm

i thought the pick of actors was very good

bluealice
Sprite
Real First Name: Alsacia

Postby bluealice » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:15 pm

I love Slumdog Millionaire.. ever... it's very detailed, and your heart will be in a warm mode... very touching..
ZZZ

Return to “Movies”