Sherlock Holmes

Talk about the latest action movies, sci-fi thrillers, horrors and chick-flicks here!
wolfhowl
Tunnel Blue Spider

Re: Sherlock Holmes

Postby wolfhowl » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:43 am

jude law looks so hot with a mustache!!!!! lol

Cat Moon
Commander
Location: HIVE - The Higher Institute of Villainous Education

Postby Cat Moon » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:01 pm

I saw the trailer the other day - this looks amazing! The cast look fantastic, especially Robert Downey Jr, and the setting and music look great! Plus, I just started reading the books about a week ago, and I love the stories so much!
Thankyou for my avvie, Rain! I luv it!!! :laughing:

Do not let the Cat out. No matter what I tell you. :shiny:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:46 pm

I have so much faith in Robert Downey Jr. He's going to do such an awesome job, and I'm so happy that there's finally a Holmes movie out there that does the action side of the stories justice! One of my christmas presents is that I want my parents to buy me this DVD once it comes out. I'm PUMPED!!!

I have to say Jude Law is a perfect fit for Watson! I hate how in all the other movies these two guys were old and jabbered a lot and it seemed like they didn't fit very well with the actual characters in the books. Before I watched any of the movies, Watson always seemed like this healthy, good-looking middle aged guy,capable should things get dangerous, not the bumbling old geezer played by Nigel Bruce. And I always loved Watson--he was so much more accessible than Holmes and they kind of took away that in the movies by making him a cute, stupid old man. Watson was always this trustworthy normal guy who you knew you could depend on, like us readers he was just a man of average intelligence who was marveling at the brilliance of Sherlock Holmes's mind--kind of like, okay, I might not be as good of a detective as Holmes, but at least with Watson telling the story I know I can trust him to tell it clearly all the way through to the end, in a way I can follow easily. Finally there's that sense of connection again. He was a brick of a narrator, and it's good to see him portrayed in a more favorable light.
"Stories are the only thing worth dying for."
~The Unwritten

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:05 pm

Couldn't agree more with any of that - you've nailed it there! You see Sherlock through Watson's eyes, and because he's such an awesome narrator, you saw Holmes exactly as he was meant to be seen.

Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr look to be fantastic, and much more true to the books than the old movies - which is kind of weird when you think they came out earlier and nearer to the original stories! It's gonna be awesome to see the action side represented - judging by the trailer, there'll be way more of the action like in Sign of Four - with the steamer chase, following Toby, waiting in the bank room in the Red-Haired League case...Just loads more in the action department, which was the point of the books in the first place, you have the genius of deduction, but all that falls flat without the action, in my opinion. :laughing:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:26 pm

And what a load of action there looks to be in the new movie!! I'm so excited!!! There's one trailer where Holmes is like, "Watson, save your bullets," and then he goes on to demonstrate the best way to take down an attacker with your bare hands. THIS is the Sherlock Holmes I remember--the old guy seemed to be an excellent marksman, and fit enough to chase someone on foot should it come to that, but not like the kind of guy you'd trust to win a fight. Didn't Holmes say in the book that he made sure he was an expert on everything that could possibly come in useful when tracking down a criminal? Guess what's on the top of that list? FIGHTING techniques! Of course the master of detection would have mastered that--he's a genius, he's not going to go running after an armed and dangerous murderer without knowing how to take him down once he catches up! And that was never there in the old movies--it was focused so much on the brilliant conclusions he'd pull out of nowhere that it forgot about the practicality of stuff like being able to fistfight.

This movie is going to PWN.
~The Unwritten

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:10 am

That was the trailer I saw - and it looks as though they paid great attention to how the scenes should look, and the set and lighting looks brilliant! Yeah, I love that bit - 'Watson, save your bullets', and also the bit where Sherlock's standing on the dock, and Watson bowls him over as a wrecking ball passes just over their heads, and it's like,
'Hello, Watson!'
'Hello, Holmes! - DUCK again!'

Absolutely, I reckon this should be a return to the original Sherlock Holmes, even if it's a new storyline not in any of the stories. In Study in Scarlet, Watson even says in one of his early descriptions of Holmes, that he was an excellent boxer, swordfighter and marksman. I'm so glad that this is going to be true to the stories - I'm already organizing a group to go see it!

~Moist von Lipwig

silverphoenix
Elf

Postby silverphoenix » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:23 am

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD
I just saw the movie yesterday. There was some great action (I love how Holmes thinks in slow motion about how he's going disable someone before he actually does it and then it's like BAM!). I'm glad the movie-makers realized the importance of Watson. Usually he's just some sort of bumbling character but he's actually a strong source of support for Holmes (I loved the all the little dialogues between Watson and Holmes, "Lace doilies! Holmes you're a sadist!"). I was surprised by Irene Adler's character. I don't know why they portrayed her as a criminal, an a top-notch one at that, but I guess they thought it would be more exciting and they wanted to have a romance between her and Holmes. Blackwood was an okay villain, he was more psychotic than scary (but I guess psychotic is scary). I'm looking forward to seeing Professor Moriarty as a villain in a sequel,that guy is definitely creepy.
"Did someone say Draco Malfoy?"

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:15 am

Wow, I'm still getting a group together to go see it, but it sounds fantastic.

With Adler, I guess she did have the thing with the picture and that 'crime', so I suppose it doesn't take a very great stretch of the imagination to make her a fully fledged villain that Holmes didn't spot because at that point there wasn't anything to spot.

I'm glad that they appear to be giving Watson more of a role, because he is an important character and Holmes does rely on him - it's about time the movies recognised that. :laughing:

~Moist von Lipwig

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:55 am

I loved the movie so much!!!!

I'm organizing a group to see it a second time, and then I'll probably use some of my christmas money to go see it a third time, and on and on until someone decides it's time to stop me.

Alder was my least favorite part about the whole thing. First of all, bringing her into the picture was dicey with me in the first place--she's only been in one short story, she's not even really all that devious, Holmes never really loved her-- but the movie did need a strong female presence, and she was the best candidate. However, if you're going to make her such a villain, GO ALL THE WAY. McAdams's performance fell very flat for me and she didn't seem half as cunning as they made her out to be. Annoying, but it was a minor flaw in the face of a very good movie. Also it annoyed me that she called him 'Sherlock" at the end of the movie. What the heck? NOBODY calls him Sherlock. Ever. Not even Watson.

I'm obsessed with Jude Law's Watson. It was so good-- that perfect blend of wholeheartedly loyal and yet a bit perplexed and annoyed with Holmes at times, much MUCH smarter and more normal than they made him out to be in the earlier movies. I've always loved Watson, and Law did him justice. I was so happy to see that.

Downey Jr. did a GREAT Holmes, too. There's something about his voice in that movie that I fell in love with--it was like the voice I attributed from the book character was coming out of his mouth. Plus, he had that perfect glazed concentration look going in that one scene. He deserves a huge round of applause.

Also, did anyone notice that whenever someone died, there was a raven in the shot? I liked that--a nice film-maker's touch--something you would only catch if you were looking for it.

I CAN'T WAIT for the sequel. Does anyone know who played Moriarty? That voice was so creepy--I want to look it up on Wikipedia or something to figure out what he actually looks like.
~The Unwritten

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:41 pm

Argh! I haven't seen it yet and I have to! But all my friends are away, so I can't go for another week!

...I might go anyway...

~Moist von Lipwig

silverphoenix
Elf

Postby silverphoenix » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:07 pm

BkkprGirl wrote:I loved the movie so much!!!!

McAdams's performance fell very flat for me and she didn't seem half as cunning as they made her out to be. Annoying, but it was a minor flaw in the face of a very good movie. Also it annoyed me that she called him 'Sherlock" at the end of the movie. What the heck? NOBODY calls him Sherlock. Ever. Not even Watson.

That was so irritating! I wanted to poke her or something. Why does she get to call him Sherlock? And the way Holmes was talking to her was like he knew her for ages, "That's the Irene Adler I know." What?? I loved Jude Law's Watson too, it was a pleasant surprise.
"Did someone say Draco Malfoy?"

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:15 pm

I saw it yesterday! It was brilliant! *jumps up and down* O.o

Robert Downey Jr was good at sounding like how I imagined Holmes to sound - the accent was perfect. And when he was taking down the guard, his look of concentration and analysis.

I thought Watson was the best thing. :laughing: But that might just be 'cos he's always been my favourite character. It was great how the script finally did him justice. Although, thinking back, he could still have come out as an idiot if Jude Law hadn't played him so well. Although the good thing was they hadn't made him too good at the analysis - he does do things like nearly getting his head chopped off with tripwires and setting off explosions, 'cos he gets too emotional.
I was literally on the edge of my seat when he got
Spoiler:
blown up.
And then we didn't se him for twenty minutes! Very good scripting anyway. :laughing:

Mark Strong was great as Blackwood, and Lestrade was just fantastic: all bluster and no clue, just like in the stories. 'In another world you'd have made an excellent criminal.' 'And you a policeman.'

The banter between Holmes and Watson was great, little touches like the violin bow, the hat at the beginning, and the arguments about 'the' dog. It was amusing, without descending into farce. And that moment when they're both sitting on the bed and Holmes has said, 'I'm glad you're still...with us,' and it was all awkward.

I was amzed at the number of quotes they put in - the watch analysis was practically word-for-word, except it was Watson repeating back, like he'd learned what Holmes had taught him.

...I've gone on for ages...But it was just my sort of movie, I guess.

~Moist von Lipwig

softballislife
Elf
Real First Name: Augusta(gay)

Postby softballislife » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:22 pm

I saw this movie. I thought the didnt depict sherlock holmes correctly, in my opinion. I liked it though, there was a lil to much action though....overall good movie.
There is no sincerer love then the love of food
"woman,please"-Bobby
tony tony put yo oscar mayer in me (says this while holding a hotdog bun like a puppet)"
GREATEST rappa alive LIL WAYNE =]
"baby like shrimp fried rice!" afroman/lukey(Luke smith)
"Hey, hey, hey, this THE remix. Hey pretty lady." Lukey bear

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:18 pm

I wasn't sure Holmes looked quite right, but in terms of character and action, I think they nailed him.

The action was something I really loved about the movie, it was sort of all the cases where Watson brings his revolver, all rolled up into one. :laughing:

~Moist von Lipwig

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:29 am

I think the only thing I was a bit thrown off with by Downey Jr. is that he was kind of short... Holmes has always been a really tall guy to me. It's good that he looked gaunt and skinny, but I think that skinniness kind of made him look too short, almost.

But I liked it. A lot. The only thing I didn't like about it was Irene Adler. She should've been not in it at all, or if they were going that way, then she should have been even more BA.
~The Unwritten

Return to “Movies”