Sherlock Holmes

Talk about the latest action movies, sci-fi thrillers, horrors and chick-flicks here!
Cat Moon
Commander
Location: HIVE - The Higher Institute of Villainous Education

Re: Sherlock Holmes

Postby Cat Moon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:18 pm

I wasn't sure Holmes looked quite right, but in terms of character and action, I think they nailed him.

The action was something I really loved about the movie, it was sort of all the cases where Watson brings his revolver, all rolled up into one. :laughing:
Thankyou for my avvie, Rain! I luv it!!! :laughing:

Do not let the Cat out. No matter what I tell you. :shiny:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:29 am

I think the only thing I was a bit thrown off with by Downey Jr. is that he was kind of short... Holmes has always been a really tall guy to me. It's good that he looked gaunt and skinny, but I think that skinniness kind of made him look too short, almost.

But I liked it. A lot. The only thing I didn't like about it was Irene Adler. She should've been not in it at all, or if they were going that way, then she should have been even more BA.
"Stories are the only thing worth dying for."
~The Unwritten

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:42 pm

To me he's never been much taller than Watson, because Watson's always felt quite tall to me as well, but I thought he could have used another couple of inches, yeah.

It's been about a month since I saw the movie, and I'm still obsessed. There are quotes from the film all over my room. :laughing:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

GottaLoveArtemis
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name: Kathryn
AFC Fan Fiction Name: GottaLoveArtemis

Postby GottaLoveArtemis » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:39 pm

I love the movie. I love the movie. My mom doesn't really like the movie. I love the movie. I STILL love the movie. I will never get bored of the movie. I love the movie. I love the movie. I love the movie. :loveeyes:
Artemis Fowl is my NEIGHBOR.

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:25 pm

Me too! I loved it so much - especially Watson! They got him right! Every time I see the quotes pinned up all over the walls, it reminds me of how glad I am that they got Watson right.

~Moist von Lipwig

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:25 am

I agree with Catmoon. Their depiction of Watson was absolutely perfect. I've always loved Watson--he was never the 'sidekick' they made him in the old movies--you were always closer to him than you were to Holmes, he was this very reassuring, reliable, stout-hearted guy. He had this great relationship with the reader going on, and you could totally see why Holmes valued Watson the way he did because he ended up meaning that much to you, too. Jude Law was perfect down to the last inch. Not to say Robert Downey Jr. didn't pull off a spectacular Holmes--because he did--it was just that while I found Holmes to be more interesting and fun to read about, I always cared about Watson more. You don't go through fifty four short stories and four novels of Sherlock Holmes without becoming excellent friends him. He's that kind of guy--it made me significantly uncomfortable when he was downplayed as a cute, blundering sidekick of an old man. And Jude Law was the perfect picture of my friend Dr. Watson.
~The Unwritten

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:14 am

I always love it when Bkkprgirl says everything I can't quite squelch into words. :laughing: Thanks - that's exactly how I always felt about him.
Spoiler:
My heart almost stopped when he got shot in The Three Garridebs - and when he got blown up in the film! :blush:

~Moist von Lipwig

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:54 am

Hahahahah aw, thanks, Catmoon!

I always freak out when something bad is about to happen to Watson, too!! When it's with Holmes, you're like, oh, well, if he gets hurt there's no story, but with Watson you're not so sure. I get very protective of my Watson!! :laughing:
~The Unwritten

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:11 pm

Me too! I think everyone who really reads the stories is - not ppeople who've only seen the film so much, but from Study In Scarlet, the first one I read, I was really disappointed when the second half was all third-person narrative and there was no Watson!
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it still, but I missed Watson's narrative. :laughing:

~Moist von Lipwig

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:29 pm

I wholeheartedly agree. Even back then there was that sense of friendship with him.
~The Unwritten

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:33 pm

I can't wait for the Oscars. Sherlock Holmes is nominated for Best Music! It has to get it! One of the things tht struck me when I saw it for the first time (and second - I saw it twice :laughing: ) was the music- it was so perfect for the kind of world Holmes occupies. I am definitely tuning in - I really hope it gets it!

It's also up for Art Design - which again, I wholeheartedly think it deserves.

I wish Jude Law was up for Best Supporting Role. Just 'cos he played Watson so perfectly!

~Moist von Lipwig

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:43 pm

Hans Zimmer is SUCH A GOOD musician!! I have the song "Discombobulate" from that movie on my ipod, and I love love love it...So edgy and the violin really fits in with Sherlock Holmes because he was a mad genius violin player. It totally deserves the oscar!!

The Oscars are like my favorite event on TV. I watch FAR too many movies for my own good, so I'm usually squealing with glee remembering my favorite parts of the clips they show. I'm totally rooting for Sherlock Holmes--even though I don't think it'll get best picture, because of stupid Rachel McAdams, it really deserves a nomination because that was a damn good tribute to the Sherlock Holmes canon and they made a lot of eager fans very, very happy. Jude Law was SO GOOD.
~The Unwritten

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:56 pm

You can get the songs?! I'm going to HAVE to look that up!

Yeah, the OSCARS are about the only TV I'm going to have watched since Christmas. I'm film-obsessed - I do exactly the same thing! On the BAFTAs, I was like 'Yay!' and jumping up and down when they showed a three-second clip of Sherlock Holmes in their runover of the year! :blush:

~Moist von Lipwig

I rock
Pixie
Real First Name: Ponmathi
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Captain Grammar

Postby I rock » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:38 pm

I loved Sherlock Holmes. I can't tell if they got the characters right since I haven't really read the books yet but I thought this movie was perfectly hilarious with well thought mysteries. And the mysteries were well-proven.

DREDGER: Cour, petit lapin, cour
HOLMES: Avec Plaisir.
ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

I <3 The Blind Guardian....don't know what it is? GOOGLE TO DA RESCUE...
You can't spell Party without Arty....lolz
I <3 You
Yes, I mean you, you hunk...
AM I CREEPING YOU OUT YET?

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:17 am

That bit was one of my favourite bits too!

My favourite comedy bit though, is:

WATSON: Get that thing out of my face.
HOLMES: It's not in your face, it's in my hand.
WATSON: Get what's in your hand out of my face.

I love how well they seem to work together in that scene, because they exchange the lines really fast without a slip.

~Moist von Lipwig

Return to “Movies”