Sherlock Holmes

Talk about the latest action movies, sci-fi thrillers, horrors and chick-flicks here!
BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter
Sherlock Holmes

Postby BkkprGirl » Tue May 19, 2009 9:59 pm

The trailer finally came out for the new Sherlock Holmes movie with Robert Downey Jr. as Holmes and Jude Law as Watson!! It's due to come out in December, but as an avid Holmes reader myself, I can say that this looks really, really good!!! I don't think I've ever been this excited for a movie!!

http://sherlock-holmes-trailer.blogspot.com/
"Stories are the only thing worth dying for."
~The Unwritten

Luna_Wolf_Norway
Elf
Real First Name:Malin

Re: Sherlock Holmes

Postby Luna_Wolf_Norway » Mon May 25, 2009 8:32 am

I'm really excited about the movie too! I simply LOVE Sherlock Holmes! He is so wonderful!!! :laughing: Have you ever watched House? If you haven't you should, he is Holmes inspired! Genious! Anyway, I'm excited about the movie, but I'm not so thrilled by the fact that Downey jr will be playing Sherlock.He's just nothing like the Sherlock I imagined...
Everybody lies. (Dr. House)

History is rarely made by reasonable men.(Zedd)

Stay back human. You don't know what you're dealing with.(Holly)

Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real? (Dumbledore.) R.I.P.

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Mon May 25, 2009 2:41 pm

Really? I think it doesn't really matter what Holmes LOOKS like, as long as the person who's playing him is a good actor. Remember--most of the idea of Sherlock nowadays is based on either Basil Rathbone or Jeremy Brett, and that's the vision that Guy Ritchie wanted to get away from. The movie is about 're-visioning' the character of Holmes--no more deerstalkers, no more Basil Rathbone or Jeremy Brett looking actors. He actually never wore a deerstalker hat in any of the books, never said 'Elementary, my dear Watson"--he's become such a film cult that it's hard to forget the movies and go straight back to the actual stories Conan Doyle wrote.

I remember seeing the Sherlock Holmes play 'The Final Problem", and at first I didn't really like the guy who was Sherlock because he looked nothing like the way I'd pictured him (namely, as Basil Rathbone). But as he started speaking, and more of the Holmesian character found its way into him, it was like--yes, this is a really good Sherlock. I could easily picture him right in the thick of any classic Holmes story. I think it'll be something like that.

What I think is ironic is almost every Holmes movie I've ever seen has borrowed off the one story "A Scandal in Bohemia"--because it's the only story in which Holmes actually has a love interest. In reality, the character of Irene was only in that one short story and then disappeared entirely, but she's become like, the third most popular character after Holmes and Watson. We'll be seeing more of Irene in the new movie, of course!

>wow that was quite a rant. Can you see how excited I am for this movie?<
~The Unwritten

Luna_Wolf_Norway
Elf

Postby Luna_Wolf_Norway » Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

I can see that! :laughing: And I must say I agree with you, it would be nice if we could finally get rid of the whole "elementary my dear Dr Watson". That's more important. But really, their going to focuse on his "love side" again!? Yes, it's a short story, and he wasn't that much in love with her, he was more, facinated I think. And I also think it's rather clear that he is gay. Why can't they let him be gay?

Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real? (Dumbledore.) R.I.P.

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Wed May 27, 2009 2:51 pm

Well, truth be told I've never considered whether Holmes is gay or not. I know Watson, his would-be partner, is definately NOT gay, because he gets married later in the series to Miss Mary Mortsan. It's certainly possible--but I think the reason that Holmes isn't that interested in women is that he's totally focused on his work. That is how he and Watson, his only close friend, got to be friends after all--Watson pitched in an effort in a couple of Holmes' cases. There weren't a lot of women law enforcers or detectives back then, so when he saw Irene (whose last name I fail to recall) it was like "Yay! Here's someone who actually knows how to do what I do!", but in doing so she beats him at his own game.

I think the reason that they won't make Holmes gay in the movies is that it would be TOO different than what we're used to with him. It just wouldn't be generally accepted--it never outright states that Holmes is gay in the books, and in the Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett movies it certainly never comes close to that.
~The Unwritten

Luna_Wolf_Norway
Elf

Postby Luna_Wolf_Norway » Wed May 27, 2009 4:50 pm

I wouldn't want them to make him gay, just not make him straight either, if you know what I mean? Cause I think a lot of people wonder wether or not he is gay. I'm actually not sure myself, it might just be that he is so focused on his work like you say, but at the same time he is very close to Watson. I know that Watson isn't gay of course, I've read the series, but that doesn't mean that Holmes can't be. And I think he handles Watson getting married poorly. I don't know on what ground I say that, it just seemed that way to me. :-) And remember that Doyle lived in a time where being gay wasn't accepted, so maybe he felt he had to make that short story so people wouldn't think he was gay?

silverphoenix
Elf

Postby silverphoenix » Wed May 27, 2009 9:33 pm

I would be terribly upset if they messed up Sherlock Holmes. He's one of my most favorite fictional characters ever. Yay for no more "Elementary, my dear Watson." That gets really annoying, especially when people keep saying that that's his catchphrase, when you know it's not. I haven't seen any trailers for the movie yet, but I hope Downey Jr. doesn't let me down. He was awesome in Iron Man. I don't think they should have put Irene in the movie (is it confirmed that she's in the movie?). It wouldn't seem authentic. After all, she was only in one short story, and Holmes never expressed anything more than admiration for her.
"Did someone say Draco Malfoy?"

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Wed May 27, 2009 11:48 pm

It's confirmed that both Mary Mortsan and Irene Adler are both in the movie, but I don't know whether the woman in the trailer is Mary or Irene. Probably Irene, from the looks of it. Mary wasn't like that in the series.

I don't really see how they can add in Mary Mortsan all that well, though, since this is supposed to be a slightly younger Sherlock Holmes than the one that we're used to, and Watson was married to Mary in the novel The Sign of Four, the second-recorded adventure Holmes and Watson ever had.
~The Unwritten

Luna_Wolf_Norway
Elf

Postby Luna_Wolf_Norway » Thu May 28, 2009 7:24 am

I really annoys me that they're putting Irene in the movie. Iagree with you, she appears in one short story! It's stupid. And he never even liked her in that way!

silverphoenix
Elf

Postby silverphoenix » Fri May 29, 2009 11:08 pm

It's confirmed that both Mary Mortsan and Irene Adler are both in the movie, but I don't know whether the woman in the trailer is Mary or Irene. Probably Irene, from the looks of it. Mary wasn't like that in the series.

I don't really see how they can add in Mary Mortsan all that well, though, since this is supposed to be a slightly younger Sherlock Holmes than the one that we're used to, and Watson was married to Mary in the novel The Sign of Four, the second-recorded adventure Holmes and Watson ever had.
I hope they're not doing some weird combination of The Sign of Four and A Scandal in Bohemia... How can they put Mary Mortsan and Irene Adler in at the same time? I think they should have just filmed A Study in Scarlet. It's an excellent story and it's long enough to make a movie out of it. Plus, it familiarizes the audience with the origins of Sherlock Holmes.
"Did someone say Draco Malfoy?"

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Sat May 30, 2009 12:53 am

I have to say, of all the Sherlock Holmes novels, I liked The Sign of Four and The Hound of the Baskervilles the most. While I think that an accurate version of A Study in Scarlet deserves to be done, I'd rather see a really good adaptation of Sign of Four or Baskervilles first. And of those two, I think the one that would excite non-Holmesian people the most is SOF, because of Mary and Watson's chemistry.

In the actual timeline of Sherlock Holmes, it seems like this movie is pretty inaccurate... The whole Mary/Irene bit miffs me a little--they could at least have left ONE of them out of it, so it made sense.

But I think what they were trying to do with bringing in Irene Adler for yet another go is that it sort of makes the viewer warm to Holmes a little more--he's a cold man, after all, and he can be very difficult to sympathize with at first unless you're a seasoned reader. You get to see his more 'human' side. So I don't think they're bringing back Irene because she's Irene--they're doing it because it's the only time Holmes has ever shown his more human side. And putting in a different love interest would just be wrong. I kind of have mixed feelings about it.
~The Unwritten

Luna_Wolf_Norway
Elf

Postby Luna_Wolf_Norway » Sat May 30, 2009 6:06 pm

What do you think about letting Hugh Laurie play Holmes? I think he would be PERFECT!!! :laughing: He is my idea of Holmes! Then again, his character House is based on Holmes so.. But he is just brilliant!!! :laughing:

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:19 pm

New trailer out!! It's not really all that different than the first one, but there are some new clips that look pretty exciting...
~The Unwritten

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:08 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I made the last one like three months ago. Major update: the release date has been changed to November instead of December!!!

The movie is almost here, and I've never been more excited!
~The Unwritten

IzzyTehMuse
Applied Phlebotinum
Applied Phlebotinum

Postby IzzyTehMuse » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:52 pm

*joy* Now maybe I can go opening night!!!!one
"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all of those things—trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones[." - Puddleglum, The Silver Chair

"I have had to believe a great deal in God because I have lost my belief in men." -Elias, Noli Me Tangere

"The price of freedom is learning to coexist with that which you hate." -- My
cousin.
*rapes* I love you, Izzy. :P

Return to “Movies”