Talk about the latest action movies, sci-fi thrillers, horrors and chick-flicks here!
diesector21
Centaur
Real First Name: Henry

Re: Avatar

Postby diesector21 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:39 pm

And I'm still wondering how James Cameron didn't win Best Director at the Oscars. He pretty much unleashed a mindgasm to create this movie that he'd had pent up since he was a teen. That's about forty years.

If you wanna find me more often, go here. But don't bump the thread.

bentj96
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Steven
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Dark Star

Postby bentj96 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:13 pm

It's the damn critics...their so retarded. Just to have directed a movie like such is worth an Oscar. Who cares about the story line?? No one. It's all about this new world he's created and the amazing graphics. The world is so smooth too, one detail flowing into another like water.
Also known as Dark Star.

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

I WON the game.

Glow sticks glow when snapped. Why can't my leg?

"How? She gonna blink Morse code?" -Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break: The Final Break)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~lorddarkstar

Antilles
Rolling Thunder
Real First Name: Mohammad

Postby Antilles » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:06 am

Oscars almost never go to the most popular movies, critics are snobs and like to thumb their nose at the masses.

My $0.02.
"oh sharkie is so evul" -sharkie
"Oh sure, ANTILLES gets love and hugs and confetti. What do I get? The halfway empty coffee carafe...and someone left the creamer out...it has lumps in it. I hate you all." -IzzyTehMuze
"OMGWOOT I COULD FEED 33 HUNGRY WEASELS" -Nick

jenn-jenn
Atlantean
Real First Name: Jennifer

Postby jenn-jenn » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:11 am

diesector21 wrote:mindgasm

I think that's the best word ever. XD

Antilles wrote:Oscars almost never go to the most popular movies, critics are snobs and like to thumb their nose at the masses.

Agreed, but at least Avatar was nominated, unlike The Dark Knight, man that was so unfair. :angry:
"How can you lose time? ...Time doesn’t belong to anybody."

"The sea, the sea, the sea. It rolls and rolls and calls to me."

Sometimes, I wish we could completely delete the bad memories from our lives so we'd have more room for good ones. But then we'd all have memory loss problems.

diesector21
Centaur

Postby diesector21 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:03 am

Problem with the Oscars is that it's not completely objective voting. Hell, the majority of movie buffs agree that Sandra Bullock's Best Actress Oscar was more of an industry-wide 'thank you' for all the films she's done rather than an award she actually deserved. And her film (The Blind Side) was the lowest critically rated movie that qualified for a Best Picture nomination.

Also, the Academy have also been known to be biased towards series (LotR gets none for the 1st and 2nd, wins eleven awards for 3rd), and James Cameron had already announced he was doing at least one sequel, so...yeah.

If Cameron does a kick-ass job with Avatar 3 (or whatever it's gonna be called) and it's the absolute end of the series in film, he's undoubtedly going to clean up the categories that Oscar night.

Antilles wrote:Oscars almost never go to the most popular movies, critics are snobs and like to thumb their nose at the masses.

My $0.02.

The thing is that most film buffs are snobs, but most of the masses are idiots that support terrible movies (Transformer 2, anyone?). The thing is to find a happy medium that both sides enjoy. Avatar was that precise movie.

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:56 am

What? A sequel? Don't think it'll be very good...what will it be about? James Cameron should have gotten an Oscar for simply making a movie that made so much money. BTW since when is there an Avatar 2 already...

As he's mentioned in his interview, Avatar's graphics were too advanced when he planned to begin filming it, that's a feat in itself.
Also known as Dark Star.

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

I WON the game.

"How? She gonna blink Morse code?" -Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break: The Final Break)

diesector21
Centaur

Postby diesector21 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:41 pm

If you know James Cameron, you know he's VERY good with sequels (Aliens, Terminator 2). He's one of the few that can actually make a decent series without killing the quality of the movie. Unfortunately, he didn't direct T3 or Terminator Salvation.

I recall Cameron making a little joke about the sequel: "If I start on Avatar 2 tomorrow, it will still be 3 years away." It's likely his next project, as Battle Angel Alita has been postponed. I would expect 2012 or 2013.

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:33 am

I've never even heard of that o.o Well anyways...Actually shooting the movie will take maybe half a year...but the graphics will take at least 2 years to develop.
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

diesector21
Centaur

Postby diesector21 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:54 pm

Cameron has directly stated that Weta Digital finishes all the CGI stuff in about a year. Avatar 2 will be completed faster than the first because the technology has already been developed (making those 3DHD cameras took a while), the cast will still have some knowledge of how to behave (instead of 9 months training in archery, bareback horseriding, and survival skills), and production will be more streamlined in general.

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:15 am

Hm...very interesting. There must be quite a large team or artists and designers. I guess Cameron's idea needed some new technology very badly. I remember hearing something about Cameron already having a crew for about 10 years before the release of the movie.
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

diesector21
Centaur

Postby diesector21 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:14 pm

Uh, not really. Cameron and everyone else were actually working on it for four years. The script was written in about 1995.

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:27 am

I see. I was wondering after I watched the video but never thought to clarify.

Really hope that it is actually a good movie. For some reason I think that it will be the new wold record breaker for money earned. It's gotten huge publicity before and after from almost everywhere. Even negative publicity probably gave them more money. Some people though, are quite biased by the so called Pocahontas-like theme. I think Cameron has learned though.
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

diesector21
Centaur

Postby diesector21 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:14 pm

One could always argue Cameron was aiming for a box office success rather than a critical darling, so he deliberately made the plot simplistic as to not draw attention away from the CGI and to attract all demographics (even the most difficult-to-attract demographic, senior citizens, went to watch it), but I don't really care.

It's arguable to how much money the sequel will make, because on one hand, the fanbase (who are guaranteed to watch subsequent movies in the series) has been established, but I doubt many of the overseas viewers would watch the sequel, because they already got the anti-imperialism, pro-environment message in the first one. But who knows. I'd expect a final number of anything between 1.2 billion to 3.5 billion. Or even more...who knows.

Antilles
Rolling Thunder
Real First Name: Mohammad

Postby Antilles » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:46 pm

I could care less how much money it makes. I'm interested in the sequel if it gives us another shot at hanging around in Pandora for a couple hours. The world/environment was the real hook in the movie, at least as far as I'm concerned.
"oh sharkie is so evul" -sharkie
"Oh sure, ANTILLES gets love and hugs and confetti. What do I get? The halfway empty coffee carafe...and someone left the creamer out...it has lumps in it. I hate you all." -IzzyTehMuze
"OMGWOOT I COULD FEED 33 HUNGRY WEASELS" -Nick

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:16 am

Agreed. I think people are fools to actually look at the story. Who gives the crap? Epic world waiting for us to see. There wasn't much to say was all. I don't want anyone on to me if I just say Can't wait for it. Movies will become a lot more interesting soon. New programs and techniques will open up the world for more movies like Avatar.
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

Return to “Movies”