FRODO HATERS WELCOME HERE!

Talk about the latest action movies, sci-fi thrillers, horrors and chick-flicks here!
Frondish17
Pixie
Real First Name: Liv
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Frondish17

FRODO HATERS WELCOME HERE!

Postby Frondish17 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:10 pm

Hello. :spaced: My name is Frondish17, and I hate Elijah Wood, Peter Jackson, Sean Astin, Viggo Mortenson, and Liv Tyler. :angry3: I also happen to love the Lord of the Rings books and hate everything that has to do with the movie (except for Sean Bean ;P) :loveeyes:
Are you a true Tolkienite and have never been able to find a fellow movie-hater to rant with? Look no further! :> Do you have a blood vendetta with Elijah Wood and his bleary-eyed blue-blank gaze that is supposed to be "sooooo meaningful"? :thumbsdown: Does it just **** you off when blubbering old Sam goes stumbling off, leaving Frodo with Gollum, when the crazed little pipsqueak tells him to "Go! Home!" :cursing: Vent here! Make my day!

[/center]
Them, we liked

lotrfan
Commander

Re: FRODO HATERS WELCOME HERE!

Postby lotrfan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:51 pm

What are you trying to do to me?
Do you want me to hate you?
:glaring:

I just can not respond to this. I'm just going to ignore you. Because LOTR is AMAZING! :cursing:
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

bluesunrise
Bubbly Queen of Blue
AFC Fan Fiction Name: bluesunrise

Postby bluesunrise » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:20 pm

I am with lotrfan the movie was totally awesome! Yes, there were lots of changes from the book, but it kept the heart of the book and that is what I love. You need to understand that when a book gets made into a movie something things HAVE to be changed. Why? Because books and movies are two different mediums and somethings that work in books don't work in movies and vice versa. Peter Jackson did a fantastic job with the transition. So please don't hate him! If Tolkien were alive today, he would love the movie!

The Doctor/Rose=BEST SHIP EVER!

Frondish17
Pixie

Postby Frondish17 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:20 am

@ lotrfan - please don't hate me lol Feel free to ignore this thread completely - it was an experiment to see if there was anyone out there who feels the way I do . . . (and you may want to cover your eyes because I'm about to rant some more)

@ the world in general - I do not agree with the fact that Peter Jackson kept the spirit of the book in the movie.
1) the characters are all wrong - I cannot think of one character who is accurately portrayed. And my complaint is not with physical appearance either, as that would be shallow and unforgiving. Of course humans are not going to make good elves/hobbits/dwarves, etc. My complaint is with personality. I will refrain from any scathing descriptions in honor of those who enjoy the movie, but please - read the trilogy half a dozen times like I have and you will see what I mean.
2) it is technically impossible for a secular director in a secular culture to reproduce the same "spirit" captured by a Christian Oxford professor in the mid-late 1900s. Just saying. All the wholesomeness has gone out of the films, everything that made Lord of the Rings such a lasting tribute to the strength and good-hearted stamina of the human race.

Sorry to sound like such a hater, here, but I think Lord of the Rings should have either been left as a book or forgotten about completely instead of being turned into movies.

[/center]
Them, we liked

bluesunrise
Bubbly Queen of Blue
AFC Fan Fiction Name: bluesunrise

Postby bluesunrise » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:47 pm

Frondish17 wrote: My complaint is with personality. I will refrain from any scathing descriptions in honor of those who enjoy the movie, but please - read the trilogy half a dozen times like I have and you will see what I mean.

I've read it about 8 or 9 times, so I do know what I was talking about. The only characters that were not "accurately portrayed" were Aragorn (only in the fact that in the movie he didn't want to be king, other than that I thought his personality was spot on.) and Faramir in that he was going to take Frodo and Sam to Gondor.
Frondish17 wrote: it is technically impossible for a secular director in a secular culture to reproduce the same "spirit" captured by a Christian Oxford professor in the mid-late 1900s. Just saying. All the wholesomeness has gone out of the films, everything that made Lord of the Rings such a lasting tribute to the strength and good-hearted stamina of the human race.

Tolkien may have been a Christian, but he despised allegories. He often criticized C.S. Lewis for using them in The Chronicles of Narnia. Any Christian symbolism in LOTR was purely accidental. And how did PJ not keep the "strength and good-hearted stamina of the human race"? That was one of his main focuses in the movie.

The Doctor/Rose=BEST SHIP EVER!

Frondish17
Pixie

Postby Frondish17 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:33 pm

Good for another devout book reader!! :D Yes, Aragorn and Faramir are really OOC, but I also think the Frodo/Sam relationship (while okay in its own right, I suppose) is really far out there according to the book. My opinion is that if they were going to make Frodo younger than Sam, they should have changed the way Sam acted towards him, making him more fatherly and less like a puppy following him around. And make Frodo different - if he's going to be a teenager, don't make him act like a 50 year old because that's just weird.

And as for the allegory thing, I know that he detested allegory and I am not talking about the Christian doctrine inserted into The Chronicles of Narnia (which btw is a huge LotR copycat). I'm just talking about the whole mood and theme of the book. It exudes wholesomeness and just plain goodness and hobbit-like simple wisdom that is a result from the Christian culture that was relatively more relevent back then than it is today. All I'm saying is that Peter Jackson was making a movie for a secular world, whereas Tolkien was writing for a more wholesome audience, therefore the mood cannot be the same. Much to my regret.

[/center]
Them, we liked

Return to “Movies”