Favourite tv show

From 24 to The Simpsons, House to Futurama, this is where you can talk about your favourite TV shows!
lethe_naiad
The Splendiferous
The Splendiferous
Real First Name: Lauren

Favourite tv show

Postby lethe_naiad » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:26 am

I've looked through all the topics, and I can't find one as simple as this.

What's your favourite tv show? Is there a show that you watch religiously, and cannot miss a single episode? Or is there just a show that you occasionally enjoy?

my top three are NCIS (Kate was the best), Grey's Anatomy and The Chaser's War on Everything.
The Chaser is an Australian show, but since it's on the ABC you can check out clips on youtube. My fave is the 'Trojan Horse' Skit and the 'Testing the bed episode'.
ImageImageImageImageImage

artyboy
Pixie
Real First Name: Nikolai

Re: Favourite tv show

Postby artyboy » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:14 pm

i like more comedy shows/soaps:D

the simpsons rules.... the only serie i know there has been in 20 seasons;D

i have only watched a few episodes of it on youtube, but "Balls of steels" rocks!! especially the urban sports:D

Sorcha
Commander

Postby Sorcha » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 pm

my top three are NCIS (Kate was the best), Grey's Anatomy and The Chaser's War on Everything.
The Chaser is an Australian show, but since it's on the ABC you can check out clips on youtube. My fave is the 'Trojan Horse' Skit and the 'Testing the bed episode'.

Heh, I hated how they killed Kate off! (that was dramatic though, last second and everything). I watch the Chasers too Smile. Their humour is so irreverent and the If life were a musical sketches have me laughing all the time. Did you know that Chas came from Sydney Grammar?!

My favourite T.V show now is Robin Hood Smile.

raped by immortal and then sprinkled with love from kitty (:
you dare rape my sig?! o: i'ma gonna find out who did that. *kidnaps sig*

*raped with kisses and love from kitty again* ;)

lethe_naiad
The Splendiferous
The Splendiferous

Postby lethe_naiad » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:44 pm

Yeah, my dad taught Julian Morrow at Aloysius. And Matthew Reilly.

Did you see the one where they did the ten quick questions at the wikipedia conference? My dad was at that conference Smile

Diana
Ruler of the People

Postby Diana » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:35 pm

As you'll know if you've read my House M.D. topic, that's my favorite TV show. XD For various reasons, but mainly because there are so many good actors and so much good character development on the show.

Other shows I currently watch include Lost and 24, though I wouldn't call them my favorites. Lost was brilliant for the first two seasons, but apart from a handful of episodes, season three sucked. It lacked the plot continuity, character development and stellar acting that marked s1/s2, and the idea that the writers might not be able to explain everything that's happened on the island is lurking in the back of my mind whenever I watch Lost now, because it's just so convoluted. And I haaaated the s3 finale.

I've never had faith in 24 as far as its plot continuity, so I'm not frequently disappointed by that show--since I have no expectations in the first place. Razz My top two favorite characters were both killed off by season three, and honestly, season one was the only *really* good season. I'm not sure if I'll watch season seven, since I think I might have a better use for those 24 hours of my year. Razz

However, there is one more TV show that I absolutely adore, almost as much as House, though it's been cancelled now: Firefly. Only fourteen episodes were made, and only twelve of those aired, but I have the DVD set and I've watched them all several times. Even the worst episodes are better than a lot of supposedly "good" TV nowadays; I think that if Firefly had lasted for a few seasons it would have been spectacular. The universe is so well-constructed, the characters are so interesting, and the actors all work superbly together as an ensemble--there are nine main characters, and without the right group of actors that could be a disaster. With Firefly it wasn't.

So I guess if I had to choose my top three favorite TV shows of all time, they would be House, Firefly and Lost, in that order--though there's a fairly large gap between #2 and #3. *sigh* Ah well, we'll see how s4 of Lost turns out.

(And wow, I seem to have been making a lot of really long posts lately... XD)
(My avatar was given its awesome existence by the benevolent Voldy.
If Cuddy doesn't look familiar, don't talk to me till you've clicked this.)

Ihdreniel
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Hannah

Postby Ihdreniel » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:24 pm

Heh. I have so many favorite TV shows...

My favorite show of all time is The West Wing- at least, the first three/four seasons. After that it got significantly worse, which makes me very sad. But that's cancelled now. Thankfully, because an eighth season of butchering my beloved characters would have pushed me off the deep end.
I also love Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K), which was also cancelled a while back (even though it shouldn't have been).
I'd also include The X-Files in my list of favorites (though it started to get kind of dumb after season 4, and was pretty much blown to hell by season 6). I was absolutely obsessed with the show when I was seven/eight (which is kind of strange), and I 'rediscovered' it a couple years ago, so part of the reason I love it now is the nostalgia effect.
I also love House, and out of the shows I watch regularly, it's the only one that hasn't been cancelled (I do really like The Office, but I haven't been watching much of season 3).
And lastly, I love 3rd Rock From the Sun. Pretty much the whole series of that show was great, which is a nice change from most of the shows I watch. But it was, of course, cancelled.

Ah, TV show threads. Fun. I love to rant about things to people who have no idea what I'm talking about. Laughing
"eeeep!" says the insane chibling.
And then. . .

It attacks.

Image Image Image
Co-President of the Obnoxious Teenager Club
"Quantity > quality! Remember that."
~ Voldy

(P.S. Ze opéra ghost wants 'is paycheck.)

nindra
Council Member

Postby nindra » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:53 pm

I watch Simpsons, House (on break Sad), Mythbusters (on break, too...), 24 (same as 2 previous...), Friends (occasionally). Dr. Who is also quite good (even though I've seen only few episodes from year 2000... But I like it, anyway).
3rd Rock From the Sun was good in the beginning, but then it started to repeat itself and became quite boring. I guess I would like The Office (at least the US one, they haven't aired UK one here) but I always forgot it.
æ

Ihdreniel
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Hannah

Postby Ihdreniel » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:40 pm

nindra wrote:3rd Rock From the Sun was good in the beginning, but then it started to repeat itself and became quite boring.

Huh. Yeah, I've heard other people say it started to suck after the first or second season, but I just don't see it. Razz It was such a silly little show that I think the only way it could have gotten *really* bad was if it started to take itself too seriously.

nindra wrote:I guess I would like The Office (at least the US one, they haven't aired UK one here) but I always forgot it.

Heh. That's pretty much the reason I never saw much of the third season. My dad owns the first two on DVD, so I was able to watch those whenever. I'm talking about the US version- we have the UK one here (on BBC, I think), but I've never seen it. Most of the people I know say it's better than the US one, though.
"eeeep!" says the insane chibling.
And then. . .

It attacks.

Image Image Image
Co-President of the Obnoxious Teenager Club
"Quantity > quality! Remember that."
~ Voldy

(P.S. Ze opéra ghost wants 'is paycheck.)

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

Postby Kitsy » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:17 pm

House and Grey's Anatomy [i want to see the next season! but they won't show it on channelfour for aaages]

Not sure why, I just love them. Oh, and CSI [the Las Vegas] one too, though I missed all the episodes with the Miniature Killer because I was too busy to watch them :/

And I love Whose Line is it Anway? XD Great program, and soooo funny.
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

Rochenut
Shedding Harp Seal

Postby Rochenut » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:40 am

I used to like Grey's Anatomy, mainly because they have some verrry nice songs. I didn't become a fan though, it was a busy time in my life and I just can't devote one hour to a Tv show. Sad? Yep!

I prefer shows with stand-alone episodes to shows that have longer plots stretching over a few episodes, because I hate having to do followups.

My favourites: the Simpsons, Arrested Development and Kim Possible. My two favourite anime (well, they count as TV shows too): Cowboy Bebop and Monster. Think what you will about anime but these are pretty mature. And they are absolutely brilliant. *nod* Incidentally, all of the shows in my list come in 30 minute episodes.

I've heard alot of good things about Firefly, it'll probably be my next show to download.

marzandstars
Council Member

Postby marzandstars » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:26 pm

Sorcha wrote:

Heh, I hated how they killed Kate off! (that was dramatic though, last second and everything). I watch the Chasers too Smile. Their humour is so irreverent and the If life were a musical sketches have me laughing all the time. Did you know that Chas came from Sydney Grammar?!

My favourite T.V show now is Robin Hood Smile.

Is that the one with Jonas Armstrong?
If it is, I loved it when it was on.

CSI is good sometimes. House is GREAT!
And [don't ask] Neighbours.

We must be swift as a coursing river
With all the force of a great typhoon
With all the strength of a raging fire
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon

*rapes* with muchos love from a mysterious sig-raping shadow *disappears*
THIS IS NOT VOLDY. It is a mysterious sig!rapist, leaving some love. *hugs*

Skater Girl
Commander
Real First Name: Nastasha

Postby Skater Girl » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:04 am

ZOMG. THE CHASER'S WAR ON EVERYTHING. LOVE IT. Very Happy:D:D:D And yeah, the Trojan Horse skit was amazing! They even went into the Sydney University's History faculty! *giggle* And The Sydney Opera House! I also love the "Americans" (no offence. *hide*) skit, and the "35 evictions in one day" one. Ohh, and the prolix songwriter one... And the Jo-Will-You-Divorce-Me one.

LOTS.

If only they had the show here... *mumble*

Other than that, I love The Simpsons, and several other shows you guys wouldn't know of. Indonesian shows. Bleh.

CHASER'S! *chants*
"The sad truth...

Is that the truth is sad."

~ Lemony Snicket

lethe_naiad
The Splendiferous
The Splendiferous

Postby lethe_naiad » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:17 pm

But now The Chaser is on holiday and they're running repeats. Sad

My bf was going to take me to see the Chaser, but they're not back until August or September. Anyway, when they come back I'm going to see them.

Skater Girl
Commander
Real First Name: Nastasha

Postby Skater Girl » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:05 pm

*envies*

At least you may have a chance to see them. And how come I missed the whole thing that Sorcha posted...? And our reply, lethe_naiad. Whoa. Just the joys of living over there, I guess....

*sigh*

End.
"The sad truth...

Is that the truth is sad."

~ Lemony Snicket

thesupernaturalist
Pixie

Postby thesupernaturalist » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:18 am

Basically all the tv shows I watch regulary are my favourite tv shows. I don't like just randomly watching random stuff for the sake of it.

-Robin Hood (Season final tomorrow!)
-Doctor Who (Finally we got series three)
-Spicks and Specks
-House
-Torchwood

And I also have a few others that aren't showing right now or are really old. I watch ALOT of childrens television because I dunno, I just like watching it as long as it's good (and that narrows it down somewhat =D). My favourite children's TV shows are

-Noah and Saskia
-Lockie Leonard (two people at my school are in it =D)
-The Zack Files
-Kim Possible

Return to “TV”