AFC's List Of Books To Read Before You Die

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
Allysta
Pixie
Real First Name:Melinda
Re: AFC's List Of Books To Read Before You Die

Postby Allysta » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:24 pm

Hmm, I found a book at the library a few weeks ago called The Queen's Soprano, by Carol Dines. It is very good, and interesting. I would definitely recommend it, especially if you like singing and historical fiction.
"But what, Ron? What could be wrong?"
"I've got a secret affliction!"
"Disgusting!"
"You don't even know what it is, Harry! It's lice."
"Get. Out."

"Ah, Harry! I've been waiting for you. Avada Ke-"
"No time to chat, Voldemort! Gotta go!
"Oh, but, but... *sob* every time I try to kill Harry..."

Ron's Disease- Potter Puppet Pals

My FanFiction.net account

evil pixie
Sprite

Postby evil pixie » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:55 am

The Book Theif by Markus Zusak. SO amazing. Words can't even comprehend it.
Definitely, definitely, definitely. It's one of my favorite books ever. If you're interested, the book club is having a discussion on it right now. :)
gonna add that to the list of books to get at the library next time
Hmm, I found a book at the library a few weeks ago called The Queen's Soprano, by Carol Dines. It is very good, and interesting. I would definitely recommend it, especially if you like singing and historical fiction.
you like singing and historical fiction?
try for freedom: a true story of a french spy
it's pretty interesting and it's based on a true story.

add:
the lightning theif and probably the rest of the series that I have'nt read yet.
Last edited by lethe_naiad on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited triple-post. In future, please use the edit button
I like the word evil. Scramble it a little, and you get vile and live. Good on the other hand, is just a command to go do.-Jodi Picoult, The Tenth Circle

A monkey glances up and sees a banana, and that's as far as he looks. A visionary looks up and sees the moon.-Victor Vigney

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

IzzyTehMuse
Applied Phlebotinum
Applied Phlebotinum

Postby IzzyTehMuse » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:51 am

Don't know if this has been mentioned but
The Westing Game is an awesome kids' mystery!

It's really fun and cute!

And HUZZAH FOR ROALD DAHL!

I also think everyone should read The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. They are very entertaining!
"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all of those things—trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones[." - Puddleglum, The Silver Chair

"I have had to believe a great deal in God because I have lost my belief in men." -Elias, Noli Me Tangere

"The price of freedom is learning to coexist with that which you hate." -- My
cousin.
*rapes* I love you, Izzy. :P

TaurusChick12
Mud Man

Postby TaurusChick12 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:15 am

Has Lolita been mentioned on here? If not, then I say read it. And while you're at it, read The Feminine Mystique.

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Sun May 03, 2015 10:29 pm

Trying to add books people might not have read…

The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories, by Maggie Stiefvater, Brenna Yovanoff, and Tessa Gratton, and The Cabinet of Curiosities: 36 Tales Brief and Sinister, by Stefan Bachmann, Katherine Catmull, and Claire Legrand, are both collections of occasionally creepy short stories written by various authors (like the one about the Iron Rose in the latter). I'm not sure if they're related, or if the titles are just coincidence.

Also, the Lunar Chronicles series, by Marissa Meyer. I especially like the character of Winter (her reply to someone calling her crazy is "I know. Do you know how I know?"), and the book Fairest, which isn't part of the main series but still really good. ("Love is a conquest. Love is a war. Here is what I think of love."). At which point the character speaking throws her two glass drink glasses to the floor.

Edit: Also…

Reckless and Fearless, by Cornelia Funke

Hugo

The Last Dragon Chronicles, by Chris D'Lacey

The Scorpio Races, by Maggie Stiefvater

The Wanderer, by Sharon Creech

Percy Jackson and the Olympians, by Rick Riordan. AWESOME series.

The 39 Clues (the original series. I didn't like the sequel series as much).

Spirit Animals (another series).

The Last Dragon, by Silvana de Mari. Actually made me cry.

Stargirl, by Jerry Spinelli. Also made me cry. Not much, but still.

Wonder, by R. J. Palacio. Almost made me cry.
I said you were smart, Mud Boy. I was wrong; are exceptional.—Qwan
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
We can only change the future, not the past or present.—Artemis Fowl II
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

Athena32
Goblin
AFC Fan Fiction Name:MyshiCorp

Postby Athena32 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:29 am

The Mysterious Benedict Society, by Trenton Lee Stewart. I love the charecters. Kate is a parallel to Juliet, and Constance reminds me faintly of... Mulch.
Also NERDS, by Michael Buckley. It's a fun premise.
I'm fine, seeing as you asked.-Foaly
Gnommish… Gnommish… What blasted translation system doesn’t have Gnommish?

Kron48
Swear Toad
Real First Name:Max
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Uhh... Foaly Jr.?

Postby Kron48 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:11 am

I have a few to add (even though this post will be lost forever in cyber-space):
Dark Intelligence by Neal Asher
Imzadi by Peter David
Mortal Engines series
Fever Crumb trilogy
Virals series
Tunnels series (one of my absolute all-time favorites :B)
"The end: It's gonna happen! But in the meantime, its on with the show. On with the show!" -Devo

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:26 am

From Fading's list, oh yeah, I read The Lunar Chronicles not all that long ago. I liked it, it really combines all the old fairies tales with a futuristic, dystopian kind of world very well. (Although, for some reason as I was reading the books, I didn't connect 'Winter' with 'Snow White' for the longest time...I'm pretty sure I was in, like, the third or fourth book when I'm suddenly like, 'Oh duh.')

I also remember seeing the Spirit Animals books on sale at the store I work at, and I thought they looked pretty good. I might look into them sometime, if I remember.

Oh, I also have read the Pendragon series (which I think Silenced mentions on the previous thread page), I read that one when I was younger, that one was pretty amazing.

Huh, Dark Intelligence, Imzadi, Mortal Engines...those all sound interesting. I might see if I can get any of those on audiobook from my library. (Although at the moment I'm caught up re-listening to the AF series again. xD)

I'm not exactly sure what to suggest, my list would probably consist mainly of the obvious ones, Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, etc. Although, one of my absolutely favorite series ever has to be Animorphs. I read the books when I was a kid, and I loved them, but I read them again recently a few years ago, and I was absolutely amazed by how good they were. (I always liked animals, so the idea of people changing into animals was pure gold to me as a kid, but even more than that, looking back at the series now, I see how well the series handles that, in actually getting inside the minds of the animals. The series also deals with a pretty wide range of pretty deep themes, many of them related to war, especially in the later books when things really start getting series. The way the series develops the characters is pretty amazing, too--each of the core characters have a personality trait that sets them apart and makes them memorable, and gives them a distinct voice, but over the course of the series, they each struggle with being defined by those traits, while struggling with the challenges that their situation forces them to contend with.)
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [An Artemis Fowl fanfiction, set after The Atlantic Complex.]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28 ... temis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Kron48
Swear Toad
Real First Name:Max
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Uhh... Foaly Jr.?

Postby Kron48 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:39 am

one of my absolutely favorite series ever has to be Animorphs. I read the books when I was a kid, and I loved them, but I read them again recently a few years ago, and I was absolutely amazed by how good they were. (I always liked animals, so the idea of people changing into animals was pure gold to me as a kid, but even more than that, looking back at the series now, I see how well the series handles that, in actually getting inside the minds of the animals. The series also deals with a pretty wide range of pretty deep themes, many of them related to war, especially in the later books when things really start getting series. The way the series develops the characters is pretty amazing, too--each of the core characters have a personality trait that sets them apart and makes them memorable, and gives them a distinct voice, but over the course of the series, they each struggle with being defined by those traits, while struggling with the challenges that their situation forces them to contend with.)
Oh my goodness! I completely forgot about the Animorphs series!!! I read them so freaking long ago xD.
Speaking of childhood series, The Kane Chronicles :3
"The end: It's gonna happen! But in the meantime, its on with the show. On with the show!" -Devo

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:07 pm

I know, those were popular so long ago. (I guess people have kind of forgotten about them now. My mom volunteers at my old elementary school, so when the library went to sell all their Animorph books, she bought a bunch of them and gave them to me.) I so wish they could have come out with a movie or a real TV series, of the kind they do now, but I guess it wasn't to be... (There was an Animorph television series, and I think they chose good people to play the characters that really fit the roles, and the graphics for the morphing was pretty awesome for what they had at the time, but the Andalites...yeah. They definitely spent most of the budget on the morphing.)

Oh yeah, the Kane Chronicles! I read those not too long after I read the Percy Jackson series. (I think there's a couple of short cross-over stories, which is awesome, I like the idea that the world of the Kane Chronicles is actually connected to the world of Percy Jackson, I wasn't sure it was when I first picked up the books.)
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [An Artemis Fowl fanfiction, set after The Atlantic Complex.]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28 ... temis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Merv Simestra
Commander
Real First Name:Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name:Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:19 am

I definitely second anyone who mentioned Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, or Percy Jackson. Those books were absolutely instrumental (outside of Artemis Fowl) of shaping my reading habits.

I also highly highly recommend reading Inkheart and its sequels, especially if you love reading in general. Nothing beats the first book, but the others are definitely edge-of-your-seat paced. I love how Cornelia Funke used writing as the basis for magic in that world, and it really inspired me to start writing in the first place.

The second series I recommend is Redwall. That book series was my actual childhood growing up, even more so than Artemis Fowl. In fact, Redwall to me was kind of what Harry Potter was to other kids, though my interest didn't follow me nearly as closely as the Potter fandom followed fans into adulthood. Still, a really good story and a really cool world to explore. The first book is definitely the best, though Mossflower and Mariel of Redwall were really good, too.
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.
Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.
Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Yona of the Dawn, Most Epic Romantic Manga