Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci Code

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
Lelahel
Mud Man

Postby Lelahel » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:26 pm

They weren't bad at all.
I don't take the books seriously, of course, as some things,
such as the Priory, were proven to be fabricated.

Larandia
Atlantean

Re: Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci Code

Postby Larandia » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:46 am

Gus wrote:I just read both of those books last week.

They were great. I loved all the puzzles in them, the background, the (fictitious) history, the science (fiction)... Loved them.

Anybody else read them?

I've got more comments that I'd like to say, but I forgot them... and I'd like to hear/read your comments first.

I tried reading the Da Vinci Code four times. I was soooo disappointed. I couldn't get into it at all and found it boring. Sorry. Maybe I'll try again another time. Angels and Demons, was that written by James Patterson. Maybe not. I know I've seen the title somewhere before.

I think the hipe on the Da Vinci Code was way too much. I know people who actually think the book is true. Duh.

lethe_naiad
The Splendiferous
The Splendiferous
Real First Name: Lauren

Postby lethe_naiad » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:51 am

Angels and Demons was written by Dan Brown, the same guy who wrote The DaVinci code. That's why they're in the same thread.

I actually prefer Digital Fortress.
ImageImageImageImageImage

abuthemonkey
Gremlin

Postby abuthemonkey » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:09 am

Yay Dan Brown!
I've read Digital Fortress and Deception Point, but my favourite is A&D.
It bothers me that a lot of people don't like the book because it's inaccurate (even though it is...). It's still a good book :/
“'The plot thickens,' said Artemis. If he'd had a beard, he would have stroked it.”

The Walrus
Our Fair Lady

Dan Brown should be given a life sentence.

Postby The Walrus » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:01 am

You honestly believe that B.S. in the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons? I haven't read Angels and Demons but judging by the Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown isn't too trustworthy a person. The Da Vinci Code is a brilliant book, in fact, it has the most clever propaganda I have ever read. However, propaganda is all the book is. Take a look at this:

http://www.catholic.com/library/cracking_da_vinci_code.asp. It might not be unbiased but it's completely true. Do some research for yourself; go visit the Opus Dei website and take a look at their side of the story; google up the da vinci code and take a look at some of what pops up- the evidence against the Da Vinci code is unrefutable. It has been acknowledged by a court that Dan Brown is a poor researcher of history. Lol, just take a look at this quote from an interview of his: "Occasionally, research is simply a matter of finding the proper printed resource."

Dan Brown is no better than a Nazi, and his book merely a modern Protocols of Zion (except instead of targeting Jews, it targets us Catholics). If you need more proof that Dan Brown is a liar, just tell me- I've got plenty of evidence (I already researched the claims in his book a long time ago).
Official Mascot of the AFC Secret Agents

Well, John the Baptist after torturing a thief
Looks up at his hero the Commander-in-Chief
Saying, "Tell me great hero, but please make it brief
Is there a hole for me to get sick in?"

The Commander-in-Chief answers him while chasing a fly
Saying, "Death to all those who would whimper and cry"
And dropping a bar bell he points to the sky
Saying, "The sun's not yellow it's chicken"
-Tombstone Blues, Bob Dylan

Serp
Gremlin

Postby Serp » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:10 am

Gah! All that Da Vinci Code hype was such a big fat waste of time. People must've spent months making documentaries like 'Cracking the Da Vinci Code' or 'The Da Vinci Code: Revealed'. None of it was true! There is no point of discussing it! -_-

Honestly, I got scared at Angels and Demons!! Cool! I didn't much like the whole killing-of-the-Holy-man thing going on, so I didn't get past the murder of the first Holy man.
We think a flower on a cliff is beautiful beacause we stop our feet at the cliff's edge, unable to step out into the sky like that fearless flower.
Everyone likes Captain Carrot // All the better to see you with, Spiro.

The Walrus
Our Fair Lady

Postby The Walrus » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:52 am

Serp wrote:Gah! All that Da Vinci Code hype was such a big fat waste of time. People must've spent months making documentaries like 'Cracking the Da Vinci Code' or 'The Da Vinci Code: Revealed'. None of it was true! There is no point of discussing it! -_-

Well if it wasn't for those people going out of their way to inform people of the lies in the Da Vinci code, I'd still believe every word of it.

Edit: here's a good link I found http://www.christianitytoday.com/history/special/davincicode.html.

abuthemonkey
Gremlin

Postby abuthemonkey » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:03 am

Umm... no one in this thread is saying that they believe every word of DVC, and nobody hails it as their bible.
So what if the research is incorrect? It`s a work of fiction in the end, which means it`s the storytelling that counts and not the factual evidence. I`m a catholic, and I still find it a pretty good book, and 65 million other people agree with me.
“'The plot thickens,' said Artemis. If he'd had a beard, he would have stroked it.”

The Walrus
Our Fair Lady

Postby The Walrus » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:42 am

Didn't you claim the information in A and D wuz accurate earlier? Anyways, while it's true the Da Vinci Code is fiction; it is in a completely category altogether from most fiction books. Other novels are created as an art form. DVC, on the other hand, is harmful, anti-catholic propaganda masquerading as art. It should be placed in the same category as Quotations from Chairman Mao, not Jurassic Park. The latter is meant to entertain the reader; DVC and QFCM are meant to manipulate the reader.

Return to “Literature”