AFC's List Of Books To Read Before You Die

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
Skater Girl
Commander
Real First Name: Nastasha

Re: AFC's List Of Books To Read Before You Die

Postby Skater Girl » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:54 pm

thesupernaturalist wrote:
Skater Girl wrote:
thesupernaturalist wrote:-A Little Princess

Tried it, and hated it. Well, not HATED it, but I didn't like it. It's too "tragic", if you get what I mean. I actually like Jane Eyre better than this. Sorry. Sad

I didn't find it tragic... It wasn't tragically written in my opinion at least. But meh.
The movie, directed by Alfonso Cauron, is absolutely brilliant though, have you watched it? It's a lot different to the book but it's still absolutely fantastic.
I haven't read Jane Eyre yet, I read a few pages of it but didn't continue reading it because the book fell apart XD. I watched one of the movie versions. It was the most boring period movie I've ever watched.

Well, "tragic" as in "she is so impossibly unfortunate". Razz A bit unrealistic. Even the Baudelaire siblings had a bit of luck--at least they're still alive and had each other.

Err... No. Not a lot of those kinds of movies come here. They're usually either really famous, Korean soap operas, Kung Fu movies, or Bollywood stuff. Razz
"The sad truth...

Is that the truth is sad."

~ Lemony Snicket

MASTER I
Council Member

Postby MASTER I » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:21 am

I haven't read Jane Eyre yet (though planning to soon) but I though A Little Princess was okay.. It wasn't altogether bad though, compared with ASoUE, it could seem a bit impossibly unfortunate. It depends on how you look at it. XD
"My tongue will tell the anger of my heart or else my heart concealing it will break and rather than it shall, I will be free even to the uttermost, as I please, in words."

"Talk not to me: I will go sit and weep
Till I can find occasion of revenge."

Stupid Ape
Centaur

Postby Stupid Ape » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:21 pm

Books I'd suggest:
2.Harry Potter (whatever the quality of the books (personally i think they are great) these books shaped society- know what the fuss is all about)
3.Ender's Game: The best book EVER (maybe)
4.Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings (The Other Best Book EVER)
5.Never Let Me Go
6.God's Smuggler (great Non-fiction (but does tell a story) book though non-christians may find it frustrating)
7.The Bible (or at least part of it)

There's my list: 3 books for great stories (3, 4 and 5); 2 books for social commentary/influence (1 and 2); an inspirational book (6) and the best book EVER (I really mean it this time) (7)
God changes Lives. Will you let him change yours?

thesupernaturalist
Pixie

Postby thesupernaturalist » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:55 pm

Skater Girl wrote:
Skater Girl wrote:
Tried it, and hated it. Well, not HATED it, but I didn't like it. It's too "tragic", if you get what I mean. I actually like Jane Eyre better than this. Sorry. Sad

I didn't find it tragic... It wasn't tragically written in my opinion at least. But meh.
The movie, directed by Alfonso Cauron, is absolutely brilliant though, have you watched it? It's a lot different to the book but it's still absolutely fantastic.
I haven't read Jane Eyre yet, I read a few pages of it but didn't continue reading it because the book fell apart XD. I watched one of the movie versions. It was the most boring period movie I've ever watched.

Well, "tragic" as in "she is so impossibly unfortunate". Razz A bit unrealistic. Even the Baudelaire siblings had a bit of luck--at least they're still alive and had each other.

Err... No. Not a lot of those kinds of movies come here. They're usually either really famous, Korean soap operas, Kung Fu movies, or Bollywood stuff. Razz

Awww, well it's a good movie.
But isn't ASoUE a bit unrealistic too? and Sara Crewe just happened not to have any siblings and her father went off to war and died like alot of men did (not surprisingly).
But each to their own =)

Ihdreniel
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Hannah

Postby Ihdreniel » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:47 pm

Skater Girl wrote:Totto-Chan: The Little Girl By The Window by Tetsuko Kuroyanagi

::excitedness:: YesyesYES! Everyone in the world, read that book!

Skater Girl wrote:
thesupernaturalist wrote:-A Little Princess

I haven't read the book yet, but I've LOVED the movie since I was a kid. And I own the soundtrack on CD because sitars are cool.

Ahem. Anyway...
The Book Thief, by Mark Zusak
A Cool Moonlight, by Angela Johnson (I *think* that's the author's name... hit me with a squeaky hammer if I'm wrong)
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
I'm sure I'll continue with this list soon...
"eeeep!" says the insane chibling.
And then. . .

It attacks.

Image Image Image
Co-President of the Obnoxious Teenager Club
"Quantity > quality! Remember that."
~ Voldy

(P.S. Ze opéra ghost wants 'is paycheck.)

Skater Girl
Commander

Postby Skater Girl » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:28 pm

Skater Girl wrote:
thesupernaturalist wrote:I didn't find it tragic... It wasn't tragically written in my opinion at least. But meh.

Awww, well it's a good movie.
But isn't ASoUE a bit unrealistic too? and Sara Crewe just happened not to have any siblings and her father went off to war and died like alot of men did (not surprisingly).
But each to their own =)

Well, as Phil says, "At least you're still alive". And they have each other. And people who care for them but just can't be there. And it ended sort-of happy... And anyways, her "friends" at the boarding-place-thing and the matron was too cruel to exist. Even Olaf had a good side, the Baudelaires had a bad side (they lied, held a knife against their siblings in an attempt to kill them, burned down a hotel, etc.), and it was real enough--no human in this world is all bad or all good. What occurs is just misunderstandings and stuff.

Oh, and ASoUE is a bit meant to be unrealistic, because with the person the books are being dedicated to being mentioned, the author being "in" the story and all that, they didn't want to make the books too "real-life", I think.

Ihdreniel wrote:
Skater Girl wrote:Totto-Chan: The Little Girl By The Window by Tetsuko Kuroyanagi

Yay! You got me! w00t! Now I've met... *counts fingers* 3 other people in my life who's read the book! Very Happy
"The sad truth...

~ Lemony Snicket

Ihdreniel
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Hannah

Postby Ihdreniel » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:33 am

Skater Girl wrote:[
Ihdreniel"]
[quote="Skater Girl wrote:
Totto-Chan: The Little Girl By The Window by Tetsuko Kuroyanagi

Yay! You got me! w00t! Now I've met... *counts fingers* 3 other people in my life who's read the book! Very Happy[/quote]
It's utterly awesome. I love the ending.
"eeeep!" says the insane chibling.
And then. . .

It attacks.

Image Image Image
Co-President of the Obnoxious Teenager Club
"Quantity > quality! Remember that."
~ Voldy

(P.S. Ze opéra ghost wants 'is paycheck.)

Skater Girl
Commander

Postby Skater Girl » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:22 pm

Ihdreniel wrote:
Skater Girl wrote:
Ihdreniel wrote:

Yay! You got me! w00t! Now I've met... *counts fingers* 3 other people in my life who's read the book! Very Happy

It's utterly awesome. I love the ending.

Agreed. =] I also love the extra bit about how those people were mad when she tried to get in the new school to try and remember her time there...
"The sad truth...

~ Lemony Snicket

scarletpimpernel
Sprite

Postby scarletpimpernel » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:30 am

I just thought of another one... The Scarlet Pimpernel. duh to me
Hello my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
Very Happy
If I had a dollar for every dollar I've lended, I'd be rich.
Does meat come from trees or like, from the ground?
Don't seagulls have gills?
I'm applying to two ivies, Columbia and MIT.
Very Happy

Skater Girl
Commander

Postby Skater Girl » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:13 pm

scarletpimpernel wrote:I just thought of another one... The Scarlet Pimpernel. duh to me

Wiki'd it. Never knew it was a book/playscript. :blush:
"The sad truth...

~ Lemony Snicket

squint
Elf

Postby squint » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:54 pm

arty_gal wrote:Oh! There is a book called The Little Prince and it is amazing. I'm forgetting the author though. Bad me. Sad

It's by Antoine de Saint-Exupery! I like that book. ^^ It's where the quote in my signature is from!!
I am the almighty invincible Cinna. Don't argue with me, you will never win.

arty_gal
Tomato President

Postby arty_gal » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:19 pm

squint wrote:
arty_gal wrote:Oh! There is a book called The Little Prince and it is amazing. I'm forgetting the author though. Bad me. Sad

It's by Antoine de Saint-Exupery! I like that book. ^^ It's where the quote in my signature is from!!

I was wondering why it sounded familiar. I love the sunsets quote. Smile
Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields.
Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about.
Strawberry Fields forever.

*showers with confetti and love* I am the ninja of lavvv. *rapes*

CaptainNemo
Cave Troll

Postby CaptainNemo » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:45 pm

Are we talking about graphic novels as well? If so, then...

Kingdom Come: One of my favorite books of all time, and, IMO, the greatest comic book ever made.

The Dark Knight Returns: Very dark, and extremely good.

The Watchmen: Overrated, but still worth a read if you have the time.

Graphic Novels I want to read:

Batman: Year One

Marvels

Earth X

Immortal
Skilled Necromancer
Real First Name: Lucifer

Postby Immortal » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:53 am

They are talking about REAL books not comics. My add to the list is Wizard's First Rule,Stone of Tears, Abhorsen, Ender's Game and Barty trilogy.

Sydney Fowl
Centaur

Postby Sydney Fowl » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:35 pm

Has anyone said The Silence of the Lambs yet? That was one good book, the whole series was great.
“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.”-Chuck Palahniuk

Return to “Literature”