Books you should NEVER read! EVER!

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
Bookworm-ilovebooks
Commander
Real First Name: Maggie

Books you should NEVER read! EVER!

Postby Bookworm-ilovebooks » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:55 pm

O.K. so I don’t know about you all but I am sick of starting a book only to find that it STINKS so I was hoping you people would help me post warning about any books. I’ll
Start.
1) Dark Quetzal. By Katherine Roberts. On the outside this looks like a grate book but trust me it’s the stupidest story line ever!
2) Helen of troy. By Margaret George. Possibly the most historically inaccurate book in the history of man kind!
[color=#8000FF]There are a million things people will do for five dollars, but there are only five things they won’t do for a million.

Always expect the worse, no matter what, you won’t be disappointed.
[color]

Siri and Dream
Swear Toad

Re: Books you should NEVER read! EVER!

Postby Siri and Dream » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:54 am

I would have to say that "ttyl" is possibly the most repulsive book I've ever read. Not to mention it is completely devoid of plot.
Luck can't last a lifetime unless you die young.
ImageImageImage
Dreamcatcher Anacetios Philion is my dæmon. My soul has a mind of its own.

XOLEPsFirstOX
Commander

Postby XOLEPsFirstOX » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:55 am

I personally think you should add Eragon and Eldest to that list.
Last edited by XOLEPsFirstOX on Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The pain goes away....the pride stays"
Thanx to Imm for my sig!

Original pic provided by the genius of MASTER I, ain't it beautiful?

IMMORTAL is a pathological liar that also suffers from DD and Narcassist disorder among other mental illnesses, stay away if you care for YOUR health.

Avatar provided by master of graphics Voldy, art can be see here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=539&hilit=&start=135

Bookworm-ilovebooks
Commander

Postby Bookworm-ilovebooks » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:16 am

XOLEPsFirstOX wrote:You should add Eragon and Eldest to that list.

Well I don’t know about that but. How about Romeo and Juliet. Now there’s a stupid story.
[color=#8000FF]There are a million things people will do for five dollars, but there are only five things they won’t do for a million.

[color]

Nikita
Tweetie

Postby Nikita » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:44 am

Add the Clique novels to the list. It's the most pathetic series ever by an amateur author. My friend forced me to read one of them...I didn't last a chapter.
Owen: You okay? Want to get a drink or something?
Cristina: Oh. Oh, now we're on again 'cause the mood suits you? Because I'm the sad little girl with no friends and I tripped your savior complex into action? Usually I can deal with the hot and cold thing, but not today. Just leave me the hell alone.

Diana
Ruler of the People

Postby Diana » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:59 am

Bookworm-ilovebooks wrote:

Well I don’t know about that but. How about Romeo and Juliet. Now there’s a stupid story.
I hope to God that was sarcasm, but knowing you, I doubt it, and respond by saying...

What the effing hell are you thinking?!?!

In my opinion, there is no book that is not worth reading for some reason. That reason may be so you can slam it and know what you're talking about, but there's still a reason.
(My avatar was given its awesome existence by the benevolent Voldy.
If Cuddy doesn't look familiar, don't talk to me till you've clicked this.)

Arty is smarty
Commander

Postby Arty is smarty » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:06 am

Erm, yeah...Don't diss shakesphere. Romeo and Juliet is cheesy to us now because we've seen it all. If Romeo and Juliet never became, romance wouldn't even be a genre in literature. How's that for afternoon tea talk? Shakesphere started a revolution in people's souls; we became more literate and began to appreciate words and intellectual thought more. Don't diss Will, he's mah bud.

I'd have to say the worst book I've ever read is Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke. Funke is an amateur writer in my opinion. She tackled a subject matter that was directed to an older audience (Dragons and Brownies...brownies, in case you can't remember the book, aren't chocolate goodies. They're typically shape-shifters, and in the book by Newt Scalamander they're cousin to the boggart. Don't get on a brownie's bad side) but she writes in a style and vocabulary that would satisfy a younger audience. Her information is very mythologically inaccurate. Honestly, you'd think that she had never even cracked open a classical fantasy book. Psha.

~Arty
[b]Knight of the Invisible Table

Image<watch it! Best show ever!

Bookworm-ilovebooks
Commander

Postby Bookworm-ilovebooks » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:11 am

Romeo and Juliet sucks! The whole thing takes place in three day. I’m sorry but you don’t marry someone you’ve known for three days. Also the balcony scene, I have reason to believe Romeo is drunk during this scene because he’s basically standing out side a girls window yelling I love you! O.k. he’s a literate drunk but he’s still drunk. And then there’s the fact that the whole Death thing could have been avoided if Juliet had just told Romeo the plan in person. And last but not least Juliet was a rebound girl! normaly i like shakespere but im sorry romeo and juliet are idiots

[color]

Immortal
Skilled Necromancer
Real First Name: Lucifer

Postby Immortal » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:02 am

Diana wrote:
Bookworm-ilovebooks wrote:

I hope to God that was sarcasm, but knowing you, I doubt it, and respond by saying...

What the effing hell are you thinking?!?!

In my opinion, there is no book that is not worth reading for some reason. That reason may be so you can slam it and know what you're talking about, but there's still a reason.

Diana, don't you HATE Eragon and Eldest? Why do you think every book is worth reading? And add Charlie Brown to the list.

Siri and Dream
Swear Toad

Postby Siri and Dream » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:22 am

Bookworm-ilovebooks wrote:Romeo and Juliet sucks! The whole thing takes place in three day. I’m sorry but you don’t marry someone you’ve known for three days. Also the balcony scene, I have reason to believe Romeo is drunk during this scene because he’s basically standing out side a girls window yelling I love you! O.k. he’s a literate drunk but he’s still drunk. And then there’s the fact that the whole Death thing could have been avoided if Juliet had just told Romeo the plan in person. And last but not least Juliet was a rebound girl! normaly i like shakespere but im sorry romeo and juliet are idiots

Dude. Romeo and Juliet is like so moving. It's Shakespeare for goodness sakes! Shakespeare dosn't just "suck". It only sucks if you can't understand it. I dunno, you just kind of have to go along with it. I love Romeo and Juliet. (I think I just sounded like a major hippie there)
Luck can't last a lifetime unless you die young.
ImageImageImage
Dreamcatcher Anacetios Philion is my dæmon. My soul has a mind of its own.

Diana
Ruler of the People

Postby Diana » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:02 am

Arty is Smarty wrote:I'd have to say the worst book I've ever read is Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke. Funke is an amateur writer in my opinion. She tackled a subject matter that was directed to an older audience (Dragons and Brownies...brownies, in case you can't remember the book, aren't chocolate goodies. They're typically shape-shifters, and in the book by Newt Scalamander they're cousin to the boggart. Don't get on a brownie's bad side) but she writes in a style and vocabulary that would satisfy a younger audience. Her information is very mythologically inaccurate. Honestly, you'd think that she had never even cracked open a classical fantasy book. Psha.
So you think that JKR is a mature, mythologically accurate writer, but Cornelia Funke isn't? o_O I adore Dragon Rider - I thought it was a very interesting, engaging book, and it took some ideas from mythology and crafted them into new things. Just because a book isn't an exact copy of older books doesn't make it worthless. It usually makes the book better. Besides, since when have dragons and brownies been for mature audiences only? In my experience, fantasy such as Dragon Rider is usually targeted towards a younger audience - which it was, but children's lit can be read by older audiences as well. *points to AF* If you're going to put Funke on this list, you might as well put Colfer there too.

Bookworm-ilovebooks wrote:Romeo and Juliet sucks!
Adsadfkjasldffkjad shut up. Even if you dislike the plot of R&J, you can't deny that Shakespeare's actual *writing* is good. And R&J isn't nearly bad enough to be put on a list of "books never to be read," even if you didn't enjoy it as much as, say, Midsummer's Night or The Tempest or whatever.

Immortal wrote:Diana, don't you HATE Eragon and Eldest? Why do you think every book is worth reading? And add Charlie Brown to the list.
I do hate Eragon and Eldest. But if I hadn't *read* them, I wouldn't know that I hated them, and I couldn't warn other people not to read them.

Immortal
Skilled Necromancer
Real First Name: Lucifer

Postby Immortal » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:08 am

Oh, sorry Diana, and Dragon Rider, while not very good, should not be put on the list of books you should never read.

Diana
Ruler of the People

Postby Diana » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:10 am

Aww, I thought Dragon Rider *was* very good. The ending was kind of meh, but the beginning/middle was all fun. Razz But yeah, whatever you think of it, it doesn't deserve to be unread.

Nikita
Tweetie

Postby Nikita » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:30 am

Funke's books are all very good. Especially the Thief Lord, it's definitely worth reading.

And whoever said that Romeo and Juliet should be on this list- have you ever stopped to think why literature evolved the way it did? Shakespeare was the greatest writer to ever live. Romeo and Juliet is a classic. Sure, it might seem cheesy now because we've evolved on the genre of writing, but it formed the basis of romance novels.
Owen: You okay? Want to get a drink or something?
Cristina: Oh. Oh, now we're on again 'cause the mood suits you? Because I'm the sad little girl with no friends and I tripped your savior complex into action? Usually I can deal with the hot and cold thing, but not today. Just leave me the hell alone.

Bookworm-ilovebooks
Commander

Postby Bookworm-ilovebooks » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:38 am

I will repeat, NORMALY I LIKE SHAKESPEAR! I loved a mid summers night dream and hamlet and Macbeth and the Tempest is what got me started in Shakespear. I don’t know I guess I’m not in to mushy love stuff.

[color]

Return to “Literature”