Books you should NEVER read! EVER!

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
Mere Reflection
Special Agent of Mr. Shiny

Re: Books you should NEVER read! EVER!

Postby Mere Reflection » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:12 pm

"A Small Free Kiss In The Dark". Urg. It wasn't exactly badly written just had no flow and was incredable boring!

"Bridge To Terabithia" I know I will probably recieve flames for this, but I just didn't enjoy it. Seriously, it is completely and utterly character driven, so almost nothing happened until right at the end. I won't say what happened there in case anyone here reads it, so I'll just say it wasn't exactly anything that redeemed the book.
Thanks to Cat Moon & Raineesun for helping me do this XD
Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Evening news is where they begin with 'good evening' then proceed to tell you why it isn't.
Always remember you are utterly unique. Just like everyone else.
Why are you still reading this?
Nothing is impossible, yet everything is a lie. Fishies! :D
A/H forever

bluesunrise
Bubbly Queen of Blue
AFC Fan Fiction Name: bluesunrise

Postby bluesunrise » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:05 pm

I another book you should never read is the Ephesus Fragment by Gary E. Parker. It is the worst written book ever! Pretty much ever other sentence is a metaphor...and they're horrible! How did this book even get published!? My oldest sister was going to, at one point, major in English and she was going to use this book as an example of how NOT to write a book, that's how bad it is.

The Doctor/Rose=BEST SHIP EVER!

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:43 am

I really hated The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I will probably get snarked at a bit for this, because the opening was fantastic and up until the middle, it was really, really good. But after that? WHAT IN GOD'S NAME HAPPENED? The narrative structure fell apart completely, I have no idea what statement the end is supposed to make, or even remotely understand the events that make up the conclusion. It gets waaaay out of control. And it's depressing as hell, which would be okay if I actually understood what was going on.
"Stories are the only thing worth dying for."
~The Unwritten

vita nuova
Gremlin
Real First Name: Sofia
AFC Fan Fiction Name: vita nuova

Postby vita nuova » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:57 am

I think that all books should be praised, they were written for a reason, right?

But yeah, there are books that should be torn apart. Like The Chronicles of Narnia (Oh boy, I'm going to get flamed.) but by the middle of the first book I was ready to throw the book into the ocean. Then there's another book...Twilight. Yes, it does have a very good structure, climax, tone, and characters, but there was something I never understood. Why did Edward fall in love with Bella? I've asked this and everybody has answered 'because she smells good.' :eyeroll:
[right]"Why don't we look for some magic stones that can grant wishes? Or, if that doesn't work, you could search my naked body for some mysterious birthmark that means I am actually the prince of somewhere or other." ~ Orion Fowl.

"Huurk." ~Artemis Fowl

"Artemis simpletoon." ~ Myles Fowl

Artemis: Of course. Thinking is my responsibility, not yours. I'm the mastermind here. Holly: Was that an insult, Mud Boy?

Mere Reflection
Special Agent of Mr. Shiny

Postby Mere Reflection » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:05 am

vita nuova wrote:I think that all books should be praised, they were written for a reason, right?

But yeah, there are books that should be torn apart. Like The Chronicles of Narnia (Oh boy, I'm going to get flamed.) but by the middle of the first book I was ready to throw the book into the ocean. Then there's another book...Twilight. Yes, it does have a very good structure, climax, tone, and characters, but there was something I never understood. Why did Edward fall in love with Bella? I've asked this and everybody has answered 'because she smells good.' :eyeroll:
I know what you mean about books being written for a reason, but honestly, I swear some authors wrote theirs in a day.

Chronicles of Narnia isn't too bad, but I sometimes get really irritated at it all the same. Finally, someone who agrees! :shiny:

AND WHY DOES EDWARD LIKE BELLA?! That is really bugging me now. All she did was act really grumpy and instantly he was like, "I love you and want to live with you forever." Uh hu. Total lack of chemistry. What I find even more puzzling about Bella is the fact that she likes Edward. I just don't understand how you can like someone like that. Ew. Probably the thrill of the fear and the fact the was so 'hansome' (unlike Robert Patterson, but that was the movie's fault).

By the way, welcome to AFC vita nuova!
Thanks to Cat Moon & Raineesun for helping me do this XD
Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Evening news is where they begin with 'good evening' then proceed to tell you why it isn't.
Always remember you are utterly unique. Just like everyone else.
Why are you still reading this?
Nothing is impossible, yet everything is a lie. Fishies! :D
A/H forever

Purple_Enigma
Pixie

Postby Purple_Enigma » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:58 am

Mere Reflection wrote:
vita nuova wrote:I think that all books should be praised, they were written for a reason, right?

I know what you mean about books being written for a reason, but honestly, I swear some authors wrote theirs in a day.

Chronicles of Narnia isn't too bad, but I sometimes get really irritated at it all the same. Finally, someone who agrees! :shiny:

AND WHY DOES EDWARD LIKE BELLA?! That is really bugging me now. All she did was act really grumpy and instantly he was like, "I love you and want to live with you forever." Uh hu. Total lack of chemistry. What I find even more puzzling about Bella is the fact that she likes Edward. I just don't understand how you can like someone like that. Ew. Probably the thrill of the fear and the fact the was so 'hansome' (unlike Robert Patterson, but that was the movie's fault).

By the way, welcome to AFC vita nuova!

THANK you!!! People look at me all weird and go, you don't like Narnia?....And I'm never able to explain exactly why....
It's Robert Pattinson, btw :p I think I've had too many RPaz fangirls around me....*walks away in a daze*

Oh, and welcome to AFC vita nuova :D
TAC
Spoiler:
'I must go,Butler,' said Artemis firmly.'My mind is eating me alive.I think the guilt is the main problem.I must do whatever I can to atone.'
'And?' said Butler,unconvinced.
Artemis held his arms out so that Foaly could drape the suit sleeves over them.
'And I will not be beaten by that jackass.'
'Jackass?'said Foaly,wounded.‘My favourite uncle is a jackass.'

From here
Spoiler:
If asked in class what the Avada Kedavra curse does, yelling "It does DEATH!" may be correct but is not the manner in which one should answer.
The proper way to report to Professor McGonagall is "You wanted to see me, Professor?" Not "I have it on good authority that you have no evidence."
I will not tell the Ravenclaws that they're basically useless because Hogwarts' smartest student is in another house.
I will not conjure up lemons and say-Life hath given thou LEMONS!

EA 2011 - The Member who is Always in the Know :D :D

hyunjoonglovie
Elf
Real First Name: Jess :P

Postby hyunjoonglovie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:52 pm

You should add my book that I have to read in English to that list.. MOST REPULSIVLY BORING BOOK EVER!!!

tis called;

'My Brother Jack' by George Johnson..

Literally the only book I've ever picked up, and not finished.
We all have a dark side...

Spoiler:
That awkward moment when someone says "hi" to you, and you reply with "I'm good"... -_-

That shite moment in an argument when you realise you are wrong...

That awesome moment when the teacher asks you a question, thinking you weren't being attentive. Then you answer it right, it's like "What now! WIN!!!"

That depressing moment when your mum scribbles on the award your school gave you in congratulations for all your hard work, just to get her stupid pen to work D':

But you love me XD

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi
Real First Name: Phoebe
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:05 pm

Ranger's Apprentice. I'm sorry, but it was just padding. It was so repeatitive! I remember, on page 222 it had a paragraph of sencary discription, and on page 223 it had EXACTLY THE SAME PARAGRAPH!!! :cursing: It got so annoying. I tried to read it, but is was just filler tbh. I never finished it.
I see you too! XD

hyunjoonglovie
Elf
Real First Name: Jess :P

Postby hyunjoonglovie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:14 pm

lol about the same paragraph. I didn't think an author would stoop that low XD

Sometimes I wonder how books were even published they are that bad :/
We all have a dark side...

Spoiler:
That awkward moment when someone says "hi" to you, and you reply with "I'm good"... -_-

That shite moment in an argument when you realise you are wrong...

That awesome moment when the teacher asks you a question, thinking you weren't being attentive. Then you answer it right, it's like "What now! WIN!!!"

That depressing moment when your mum scribbles on the award your school gave you in congratulations for all your hard work, just to get her stupid pen to work D':

But you love me XD

Multiverse
Elf

Postby Multiverse » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:16 pm

I got the first Ranger´s Apprentice for my birthday by a classmate. I finished it, but didn´t get much interested before the last few pages, and seeing how it´s basically a series of twenty-parsley honest, but mediocre books that´re ridiculously expensive even as paperbacks, I´m not going to even give them a chance.

A book that I really despise (I finished it, but that was mainly in the hope that there´d be some kind of point at the end) is a Danish one called 'The Battle In Caïssa'. To straigthen out, we don´t even use Umlaut (that´s what I think ¨ is called) in Danish. Actually, I got this from another classmate at the same birthday. (That just goes to show how much my classmates know about my literary taste... but I´m pretty sure I´ve changed that since my last birthday. I now officially share four book series with two of the girls from my class).

Anyway, it´s written by a guy called Kenneth Bøgh Andersen. No offense to him, as he´s already written at least one okay book. But the plot of Caïssa basically is that a boy meets some mythological creatures and they team up to fight some other mythological creatures, and it´s all just a metaphor of a chess game. No actual backstory or reason for anything, and there´s even a bit of religious propaganda mixed in.

-Multiverse

Eliasador
Cave Troll

Postby Eliasador » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:41 pm

Never, EVER read Maximum Ride. My biggest regret of all time besides not seeing Eoin Colfer when he came to my area is that I read Maximum Ride. Huge waste of time. Worse than Twilight.
Do what you want and say what you feel cuz those that care don't matter and those that matter don't care.
~Dr. Seuss

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sun May 01, 2011 5:13 pm

Eliasador wrote:Never, EVER read Maximum Ride. My biggest regret of all time besides not seeing Eoin Colfer when he came to my area is that I read Maximum Ride. Huge waste of time. Worse than Twilight.

I completely disagree! I love Maximum Ride. And they are 100X better than Twilight. Maybe 4 and 5 weren't high qualitiy, but the first three are awesome.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Frondish17
Pixie
Real First Name: Liv
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Frondish17

Postby Frondish17 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:26 am

I've tried to get my hands on Maximum Ride several times, but I can never find book one! Actually, however, I have officially graduated from YA to just plain A - I will NEVER be able to go back to young adult fiction again (unless it is AF, of course lol).

[/center]
Them, we liked

bluealice
Sprite
Real First Name: Alsacia

Postby bluealice » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:22 pm

Don't read the Doppelganger by David Stahler. I hate the ending. Very disappointing. So bad. No book 2.
ZZZ

fullmetalflame
Swear Toad

Postby fullmetalflame » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:46 pm

Most YA fiction is dull these days, and no maximum ride isn't bad at all, but books that are really really bad
are the captain underpants novels. I like comedies but they dont get anywhere.
its like a rambling lecture that never seems to get anything accomplished.
"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
-500 year old giant lion turtle

Carefully watch your thoughts for they become your words.
Manage and watch your words, for they will become your actions.
Consider and judge your actions, for they have become your habits. Acknowledge and watch your habits, for they shall become your values. Understand and embrace your values, for they become your destiny.”
-Mahatma Gandhi

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
-Edward Elric, the Fullmetal Alchemist

Return to “Literature”