Books you should NEVER read! EVER!

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
faeryenchanter^^
Centaur
Real First Name: Kat
AFC Fan Fiction Name: faeryenchanter

Re: Books you should NEVER read! EVER!

Postby faeryenchanter^^ » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:34 am

lotrfan wrote:
Eliasador wrote:Never, EVER read Maximum Ride. My biggest regret of all time besides not seeing Eoin Colfer when he came to my area is that I read Maximum Ride. Huge waste of time. Worse than Twilight.

I completely disagree! I love Maximum Ride. And they are 100X better than Twilight. Maybe 4 and 5 weren't high qualitiy, but the first three are awesome.

Totally agree with lotrfan!!!!! Max Ride is awesome!
All that jazz!

levina
Commander

Postby levina » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:20 am

Oh god...books you should never read? Well, first off there's the obvious, like the Clique and Twilight series, but then there's

Diary of a Wimpy Kid & co (immature, cliched, not funny at all.)
the Inuyasha manga (repetitive, tiring, and the art is mediocre.)
Thirteen Reasons Why. (good ideas, bad execution. it's more of a book of preaching about suicide than a novel.)
I Am The Messenger. (same concept.)
Sidney Sheldon thrillers (ugh...I could write better than that...seriously.)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. (This book is NOT WHAT IT IS TELLING YOU IT IS. It's a BOOGIEMAN VS. X-MEN STORY PARADING AS AN ATMOSPHERIC MYSTERY.)
Vesper by Jeff Sampson: same concept.
any paranormal/romance YA that was released after Twilight.

faeryenchanter^^
Centaur

Postby faeryenchanter^^ » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:04 pm

Disagree. Fallen is quite okay.
All that jazz!

levina
Commander

Postby levina » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:31 pm

If you mean Fallen by Lauren Kate, I'm not convinced.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6487308-fallen

Mind you, I haven't read every single YA paranormal romance, but that list up there is entirely my opinion. K? It's subjective. Someone else might like those books, but I think they're trash.

artificialGenius
Sprite
AFC Fan Fiction Name: artificialGenius

Postby artificialGenius » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:43 am

Hmm...
I've heard the Maradonia books are pretty bad. I haven't read one, but I've read an excerpt and it was pretty boring; I couldn't get past the first sentence. They were self-published so you're probably not likely to find them in most book stores, though.

Johnny Tremain bored me, but my dad says it was good I had to read it for school because it "builds character" to read boring books. Keep in mind I'm not usually bored by books I have to read for school (the other one that we had to read was The Outsiders, which I adored). There's also the fact that we hadn't recently studied that point in history in-depth in school yet, so a lot of the people in my class didn't get at least some of the context. I wouldn't say Johnny Tremain is horrible, more of so average it's boring. Boring books are worse than really badly-written ones, though. Badly-written ones you can usually laugh at more.

The Twilight books aren't very well written and don't have a very good message, but I guess they're worth reading if you really like fluff or if you want to snark at them.

Though, you know, there's someone out there who would disagree with each and every one of these, so don't really take what I say as "Books you should never ever read ever even if you don't have similar tastes to artificialGenius". Just consider it as what books I think are boring and don't really want to read again and wouldn't recommend.
My avatar was made by feastings on tumblr.
"Well, you've gotta stop selling your soul to the devil. He's just gonna want more and more, it's like a drug."

faeryenchanter^^
Centaur

Postby faeryenchanter^^ » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:32 am

Yep. I agree with you!!
All that jazz!

AthenaParadizo
Commander

Postby AthenaParadizo » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:49 am

Hey artificialGenius: I loved The Outsiders too! My class did it as a novel study, and then a theatre group in town did the play. The play was brilliant, but I had some pet peeves with it- Dally was shown pulling a gun on an unseen hospital security guard (with a recorded voice, even) and when he was shot he sort of jerked backwards and fell back.
Oh, while I'm here, I might as well reccomend a favourite novel of mine: Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt. It's also set in the 1960s, with a main character that's a lot like Ponyboy, but the plot is vastly different. It was a runner-up for the National Book Award (which surprised me, since it struck me as being very YA-ish).

Back to the actual forum topic: The Tempest, by Shakespeare, didn't really live up to all of the hype or Shakespeare's usual standards.

AthenaParadizo
Commander

Postby AthenaParadizo » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:20 pm

Oh, and NEVER read Locked in Time by Lois Duncan. It's pulpy, overrated, melodramatic, generally screwed up, and the main character falls in love with her stepbrother. :P Bleh.

artificialGenius
Sprite
AFC Fan Fiction Name: artificialGenius

Postby artificialGenius » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:17 pm

AthenaParadizo wrote:Hey artificialGenius: I loved The Outsiders too! My class did it as a novel study, and then a theatre group in town did the play. The play was brilliant, but I had some pet peeves with it- Dally was shown pulling a gun on an unseen hospital security guard (with a recorded voice, even) and when he was shot he sort of jerked backwards and fell back.
Oh, while I'm here, I might as well reccomend a favourite novel of mine: Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt. It's also set in the 1960s, with a main character that's a lot like Ponyboy, but the plot is vastly different. It was a runner-up for the National Book Award (which surprised me, since it struck me as being very YA-ish).

Back to the actual forum topic: The Tempest, by Shakespeare, didn't really live up to all of the hype or Shakespeare's usual standards.

I never knew there was a play of that book! I need to see if anyone's planning on doing it near where I am..

(Is there a "Books You Really Should Read" topic, as a more positive counter to this one?)
My avatar was made by feastings on tumblr.
"Well, you've gotta stop selling your soul to the devil. He's just gonna want more and more, it's like a drug."

AthenaParadizo
Commander

Postby AthenaParadizo » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be one (on the first page anyway). I'll check the older ones...

Multiverse
Elf

Postby Multiverse » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:22 pm

artificialGenius wrote:(Is there a "Books You Really Should Read" topic, as a more positive counter to this one?)

I think the 'Favourite Books' topic would double as a such. ;J

AthenaParadizo
Commander

Postby AthenaParadizo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:29 am

(rolls eyes at self) I guess I'm really narrow-minded...

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:14 pm

One book I definitely wouldn't recommend is Dragon Haven by Robin McKinley. It was not as good as her older books and the ending was just... well, not exactly something I would expect from her. The book started out okay and then went downhill. I've also heard that most of McKinley's newer books aren't as good as her older ones. :(
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

AthenaParadizo
Commander

Postby AthenaParadizo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:22 am

Speaking of dragons, I absolutely wouldn't reccomend the How to Train your Dragon book series. I started them with high expectations, but I have to say that the movie was the ONE movie I have ever seen that was better than the book.

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:33 am

AthenaParadizo wrote:Speaking of dragons, I absolutely wouldn't reccomend the How to Train your Dragon book series. I started them with high expectations, but I have to say that the movie was the ONE movie I have ever seen that was better than the book.

They made the movie more mature than the books. The book series is made for young elementary school kids, but the movie is made for older kids. That's why the book series seemed so immature.
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Return to “Literature”