Books you should NEVER read! EVER!

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
evilopalrocks!
Heavenly Huntress
Real First Name: Eden

Re: Books you should NEVER read! EVER!

Postby evilopalrocks! » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:17 am

Pocahontas.
sieriously, watch the disney movie version, and don't go any further. It is plotless, and should be PG15 at the very least.
Hi people.
I have something very important to tell you.
But now I forgot what it was.
Maybe I'll remember later. who knows.
If I will, I'll be sure to write it. So..... Yeah.
Dismissed. Carry on.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:55 pm

(Lol, I started to write a post for this back in July 2015, but I never finished it. x3 I think what I was writing was just devolving into a rant, so I gave up...I think it still turned out like a rant anyway. xD Oh well...)

faeryenchanter^^ wrote:Books you should never read? 50 Shades of Gray. I opened it to a random page and was scarred immediately.

That doesn't surprise me. I think I was scarred reading the book summary on wikipedia. XD (In fact, there's an entire genre of 'erotic romances,' and what's more, specifically S&M-type erotic romances. This is part of why I've come to think books ought to be rated the same way movies and fanfiction on ffnet are rated, with brief summaries explaining what the ratings are for, because you have to be really careful, or you might end up picking one of these books up by accident. They're usually marked, but sometimes you're innocent enough you don't realize these things exist, and aren't on the watch for them. X3)

Another book that was getting a lot of attention for awhile was Gone Girl. (Well, it was at the time I was first writing this post a year ago, lol.) I never read it, because I thought it looked too dark for me (I read a plot summary on wikipedia out of curiosity though), but my sister and some of her friends, because they'd had so many people recommend the movie to them, watched the movie, and even though they're pretty used to dark psychological thrillers, they were absolutely shocked at some of the content. So that might be another one to be wary of.

As for books I've actually read—to be honest, it's very rare that I read a book that I have a really negative reaction to, mainly because I try to be careful what I read. (I mostly choose from the tween/teen genre to avoid certain content, or I skim book summaries online ahead of time to try to get a feel for what kind of book it is. I can usually tell when a book has content that I don't want to read, and so I just choose not to read it, or else I have my mental defenses up, so I can just breeze through those things I don't care for without having a serious reaction.)

But, there have been at least a couple that have sneaked past my guard in recent memory.

First is State of Wonder—someone came into the bookstore I work at asking for this book (because she'd already read most of it, but lost it, and she only had a little bit left of the book to read, and she wanted to know the ending.) We didn't have it, but when she described the plot I thought it sounded interesting, so I wrote down the title and decided to check it out from the library.

Most of the book is fine, but the ending was so bad, it was almost unreal. (If only I could go back in time, I would tell that customer not to read the last ten pages. Because the book would have been so much better with the end chopped off.) The ending completely violated the integrity of the characters—they betrayed the people they cared about. (Yet it was never addressed as a betrayal—life just went on as normal. It as almost like, 'We've been through so many horrible things through the course of this book, we deserve this.') Which is something I just couldn't stand.

Second one is The Song Master, by Orson Scott Card. The Ender's Game series (also by Card) is one of my favorite series of all time, and the complexity of the characters and the world he slowly weaves has been one of inspirations for my own writing. When I decided I would go back and read some other books he had written, and I got to this one, I wasn't simply disappointed, I was appalled—not only is much of the content disturbing (the sense of the prevalence of pedophilia creates a picture of the world that turns the stomach, not to mention there was an unsettling scene where the main character's teacher attempts to 'break' him through psychologically cruel means, and as far as I can remember, it comes out in the end that it was due to a misunderstanding, rather than a really necessary part of his training. A man who treats others with cruelty [one scene in particular, involving his callous and appalling treatment of a prostitute sent to him by an enemy to distract him, really made an unpleasant impression on me] is later praised as a great leader.), but also, in the course of the story, my feeling was that the main character becomes overpowered, in the fanfiction manner of mary sues and gary stus. He's already a genius when it comes to the power of song, and this control over his singing grants him particular powers, but later on he is kidnapped by people wanting to assassinate the king he is working for, and in the course of that, he becomes a kind of super-ninja killer, and doubles as a bodyguard for the kind, as well as his 'song bird.'

Partway through the book, I went online to read a summary of the rest of the book, to see if it was worth reading, and when I saw how twisted things get, I decided there was no point going any further.

So, I highly recommend the Ender's Game series, but I would stay away from that one. (And in Card's defense, it was one of her earlier works, it's hard to say how long he had been writing at that point, and how much experience he had.)

Anyway, I don't particularly like to be negative about books, as everyone has their own tastes and interests, and they have the right to read what they like. But these are a couple I just really had bad experiences with. x3
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:33 pm

I haven't read any books lately that made me go "I never want to read this again, and I would strongly recommend no one ever touch this book". Though there have been a few I would discourage younger folks from reading.

Beloved by Toni Morrison is one of them. The story itself is extremely fascinating, but the themes and language are extremely dark! And extremely inappropriate for anyone in high school (even if everyone would understand it, it's still really... wrong in some places). Again, fascinating story, but really creepy and dark. And vulgar. Very vulgar.

I also wouldn't recommend I am Legend if you want your stories to conclude strongly. Because that one didn't. :P Interesting story, good plot and character development, but yeah. The ending was very abrupt. It was closer to a really long short story than a novel.

So yeah. I don't think there were any novels I read in my African/Latin American class or my European lit class that I wouldn't recommend. They could vulgar at times, but they were very interesting to read from a cultural perspective. So I liked those. :) I'm looking forward to the other books in my Asian lit class for the same reason.

(Also, I know Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children was not recommended by someone here, but I would definitely recommend it. It's very interesting, and I really want to read the rest of the series. :) I mean, yeah, it definitely has an X-Men feel to it, but it also has this really interesting gothic feel to it. And I really like that. So yeah, definitely recommend it. :) )
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:29 am

Haha, it does seem like books put on the 'classic literature' [not sure what countries all the ones I've read are from--probably mostly American and some European] list often have vulgar and/or very dark content. x3 Is it just me, or does it seem like a book, in order to classify as 'literature,' has to have a depressing ending of some sort...? [Maybe I'm just thinking of some in particular. xD]

But yeah, you do learn a lot about other cultures of different places and times, which is very interesting. Although, now that you've mentioned it, there are some titles I found much less compelling than others...I thought there were issues with Brave New World, for instance (and even more with the follow-up piece, Brave New World revisited, which was more nonfiction, mainly future speculation in regards to some of the concepts in the book). The characters were hard to identify with--and even though that seems to be part of the point (the world is supposed to be completely alien to us), if I can't engage with the characters, I can't engage with the story. (There were also points my impression was the buildup to particular scenes didn't feel believable, or wasn't adequately explained.)

Moby Dick is another one--if you have to read it for school, it would be better to read an abridged version, if you're allowed to. (Some of the information about whaling is very interesting, but unless you're really, really into it, it can be a very tedious read. Moby Dick is probably the epitome of what I assumed 'classic literature' was as a kid. [But later found out it wasn't, when I read books like Lord of the Flies and The Scarlet Letter for English classes. I remember feeling this shock when I realized the story was actually interesting, and I wasn't being slammed with (what I felt to be at the time) way too much irrelevant detail. x3]

My sister also told me I was better off to stay away from 'Of Mice and Men,' and 'Tess of the D'ubervilles,' too, if I had the choice. (It's not so much that there's anything bad about them in terms of delivery or writing style, but the content is very dark and kind of depressing. But I guess it appeals to some people, or maybe people with similar experiences to the characters find it cathartic.)

Haha, we've sold so many of the Miss Peregrine series at the store I work at. (We've also had the movie cover version for a while now, and that's sold a lot.) I decided I would read it, just to see what it's all about, but there was like, sixty hold on the audiobook when I placed mine, so I'm still waiting on it. x3

Oh, another book I read recently I didn't care for was The Kill Order (the prequel book to the Maze Runner series). I don't know if I would recommend other people stay away from it, it got good reviews from what I've read, but--maybe it's just me, I find it hard to enjoy books that are that depressing, where it's just one horrible thing happening after another. (Then again, I guess I did find the later books of the Maze Runner series kind of oppressive--
Spoiler:
The whole zombie-apocalypse-type storyline was pretty popular for awhile, but I never really got into it...The concept never appealed to me, I guess. :\ And even if Maze Runner isn't a story about zombies, it gives off the same vibe.
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Return to “Literature”