Maximum Ride

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
Larandia
Atlantean

Maximum Ride

Postby Larandia » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:49 am

Anyone read the Maximum Ride books. I loooove those books. All except the last one which seemed to have been thrown together, like you'd do if you were fed up with writing a story and tied together all the pieces that didn't really fit.

There's talk of a Maximum Ride film, but if they are going with the faces they have put on the advertisement. They aren't sticking to the descriptions in the books and it is putting me off.

Deacey_Evance
Cave Troll

Re: Maximum Ride

Postby Deacey_Evance » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:21 am

Yeah, well, they probably just begun planning the movie. Did you read fang's blog? They say that there'll be a fourth book-though the third one really really disappointed me-it began so well, and then had such a boring ending. Unfinished to be exact. Neutral

Larandia
Atlantean

Postby Larandia » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:13 pm

Deacey_Evance wrote:Yeah, well, they probably just begun planning the movie. Did you read fang's blog? They say that there'll be a fourth book-though the third one really really disappointed me-it began so well, and then had such a boring ending. Unfinished to be exact. Neutral

I didn't like MR3 at all. It seemed to have been slung together without too much thought as to most of the answers in it, didn't make sense. As in. Jeb being the voice in Max's head. If he was, he didn't pick up on Angel being a mind reader, or that Total could talk.

And what was all that nonsense with Dr Martinez. Quite a coincidence that. Max just happening to fly over when her daughter was being beaten up by a gang of boys from school. Not to mention the fact that she was on her way to rescue Angel. And Dr Martinez turning out to be Max's egg donar mum. And what was she doing donating an egg to the scientists in the first place. I mean, it's not like giving blood.

I expect JP has found he's bitten off more than he can chew with Maximum Ride for the Younger reader. The first two of the Max books, Where the Wind Blows and The Lake House, were written with more mature readers in mind, and ended with the second.

Maybe JP should get out while the going is good, because I certainly won't buy a book where Max or any of the flock dies. And wouldn't want to see a film where they do either.

Same goes for HP books.

Ihdreniel
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Hannah

Postby Ihdreniel » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:53 am

Oooh, I didn't see this thread before.
I like the books. The first was my favorite, and the third was probably my least favorite (I didn't think the last two were nearly as good as the first, though). I haven't read much of James Patterson's stuff, but the MR series has gotten me interested in checking out Where the Wind Blows and The Lake House.
I gotta say, though- Max is a big Mary-Sue.
"eeeep!" says the insane chibling.
And then. . .

It attacks.

Image Image Image
Co-President of the Obnoxious Teenager Club
"Quantity > quality! Remember that."
~ Voldy

(P.S. Ze opéra ghost wants 'is paycheck.)

Larandia
Atlantean

Postby Larandia » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:58 pm

Ihdreniel wrote:Oooh, I didn't see this thread before.
I like the books. The first was my favorite, and the third was probably my least favorite (I didn't think the last two were nearly as good as the first, though). I haven't read much of James Patterson's stuff, but the MR series has gotten me interested in checking out Where the Wind Blows and The Lake House.

I loved the first book, and couldn't wait to read the second. But in the third one JPatterson lost the thread. It almost felt like someone else had written it. The man is a maniac when it comes to writing, he has books out almost every other week. I know because my husband collects them to read. Though my husband loves the MR books. He's just about to read MR3. It had to wait while he read The Lost Colony, which he thought was great and can't wait for the next book. It's not that it takes him ages to read a book, it's just we read two or three books at the same time.

I like Angel the best, and Total of course, cause he's like our cairn terrier (same breed) who my husband named after Holly Short and who I wish could talk.
The dog, not my husband. At the moment she is doing enough talking, barking at the birds in the garden.

But I have to say, I haven't been disappointed with one EC book yet. Even the Legand of Spud Murphy had me laughing.

Ihdreniel
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Hannah

Postby Ihdreniel » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:09 pm

Larandia wrote:

I loved the first book, and couldn't wait to read the second. But in the third one JPatterson lost the thread. It almost felt like someone else had written it. The man is a maniac when it comes to writing, he has books out almost every other week. I know because my husband collects them to read. Though my husband loves the MR books. He's just about to read MR3. It had to wait while he read The Lost Colony, which he thought was great and can't wait for the next book. It's not that it takes him ages to read a book, it's just we read two or three books at the same time.

I like Angel the best, and Total of course, cause he's like our cairn terrier (same breed) who my husband named after Holly Short and who I wish could talk.
The dog, not my husband. At the moment she is doing enough talking, barking at the birds in the garden.

Your husband sounds awesome. Very Happy
I'd probably have to say Iggy's my favorite character in the MR books, but Angel's pretty cute. Hee.
"eeeep!" says the insane chibling.
And then. . .

It attacks.

Image Image Image
Co-President of the Obnoxious Teenager Club
"Quantity > quality! Remember that."
~ Voldy

(P.S. Ze opéra ghost wants 'is paycheck.)

Larandia
Atlantean

Postby Larandia » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:10 pm

Ihdreniel wrote:
Larandia wrote:

Your husband sounds awesome. Very Happy
I'd probably have to say Iggy's my favorite character in the MR books, but Angel's pretty cute. Hee.

My husband is a great Eoin Colfer fan. In fact if you look in the forum where it asks have you ever met Eoin, you will see what happened when we did. Mind you, our son was convinced I had a crush on Eoin (stupid boy), because I was so excited about seeing him. I was just curious to see if the man was anything like the characters he comes up with. He is, he's hilarious.

I like Iggy. I think he is bravest of the Flock. Fighting Erasers is a terrifying thought to begin with, without being Blind. I like all the Flock, though Max's obsession with doing what that scum bug Jeb tells her, drives me NUTS.

Queezle
Gremlin

Postby Queezle » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:35 pm

Ihdreniel wrote:I gotta say, though- Max is a big Mary-Sue.

maybe I'm wrong but I seem to remember that a Mary-Sue is sort of a goody two shoes, right? I don't think Max is like that at all.

Anyhoo, I ADORE the Maximum Ride novels, though I think JP is a baad writer. Don't flame me on this, you probably don't understand what I mean. EDIT: yeah, I was bored, so I decided to explain myself. I mean that, though the idea, and the writing style and stuff are OK, he is a bit too random, and doesn't explain himself well. /Edit

I go on the Forum regularly, and joined this one because it is down, so I need something to help me survive Wink . Anyone else go on there? Anyone heard of Squirrelflight? That's me.

Gus
Master of Haven

Postby Gus » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:04 am

Queezle wrote:

maybe I'm wrong but I seem to remember that a Mary-Sue is sort of a goody two shoes, right? I don't think Max is like that at all.

Not necessarily. A Mary-Sue is a character who's essentially flawless. Or the flaws make the character "better." It's sorta hard to explain... a Mary-Sue could be a goody two shoes if that made the character more likeable, not annoying. Contrariwise, a Mary-Sue could be a rebel, and in that case, the Sue would still be liked by the reader.

Wikipedia is far more detailed, though.
Image Image
My Artemis Fowl game: Part One | Part Two | Part Three

Larandia
Atlantean

Postby Larandia » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:11 pm

Queezle wrote:

Anyhoo, I ADORE the Maximum Ride novels, though I think JP is a baad writer. Don't flame me on this, you probably don't understand what I mean. EDIT: yeah, I was bored, so I decided to explain myself. I mean that, though the idea, and the writing style and stuff are OK, he is a bit too random, and doesn't explain himself well. /Edit

I go on the Forum regularly, and joined this one because it is down, so I need something to help me survive Wink . Anyone else go on there? Anyone heard of Squirrelflight? That's me.

I understand what you mean about JP's writing, my son thinks there are too many chapters, but I don't like lots and lots of explantions and descriptions, so it suits me fine. Yes, I know about the Maximumride forum and know someone who is a regular contributor. I'll ask her if she's seen someone called Squirrelflight. She used to be on Fang's blog as well, but could never get her stuff put up, and thinks she got slung off when she complained about the latest book. MR3. The adult hate in it I mean. You might have seen her input. She loves the AF books as well.

Alice Cullen
Gremlin
Location: Forks, Washington, planning Edward and Bella's wedding.

Postby Alice Cullen » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:47 pm

Who is this? What's her screenname? I probably know her, I'm a regular poster on the MR forum. (I have about 1,500 posts which is good, for me. My username is meg_falconer15.)

I adore the Maximum Ride books, I'm deeply rooted in their fandom. You could call me a Fax fangirl. (Fang+Max)

In my opinion the Fax moments were the only worthwhile parts of MR3. It was very... "Okay, publisher dudes, here's the manuscirpt I whipped up last night. Now gimme money."
ImageImageImageImage

Queezle
Gremlin

Postby Queezle » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:46 pm

So true! Exactly what I meant about JP's writing style, too, slipshod, ya know? He needs a good editor, one that tells him "james, this part stinketh".

Larandia
Atlantean

Postby Larandia » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:03 pm

Alice Cullen wrote:Who is this? What's her screenname? I probably know her, I'm a regular poster on the MR forum. (I have about 1,500 posts which is good, for me. My username is meg_falconer15.)

I adore the Maximum Ride books, I'm deeply rooted in their fandom. You could call me a Fax fangirl. (Fang+Max)

In my opinion the Fax moments were the only worthwhile parts of MR3. It was very... "Okay, publisher dudes, here's the manuscirpt I whipped up last night. Now gimme money."

Her name is InbetWorm. She is my niece.

Queezle
Gremlin

Postby Queezle » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:19 am

Oh yes, I've seen her around! Very Happy Is she going into major depression because the forum is down? Because I know I am. Wink

Larandia
Atlantean

Postby Larandia » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:51 pm

Queezle wrote:Oh yes, I've seen her around! Very Happy Is she going into major depression because the forum is down? Because I know I am. Wink

Well thanks to you, she now knows it wasn't something she said that got her slung off, which is why she wasn't receiving any notifications.

I should have said great niece. She's the daughter of a niece on my husband's side, but she's like a young version of me. We like the same books, etc, and while I write children stories, she does the pictures for me, because she is better at messing around in paint than I am.

She said she's in the Angel Clan and has seen your name on the site.

At the moment, like me, she is reading her way through the last HP book. She prefers Artemis though.

Return to “Literature”