Maximum Ride

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
ILiveForTheDay
Golden Acorn Officer
Real First Name: ForeverDay

Re: Maximum Ride

Postby ILiveForTheDay » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:25 pm

Colour Insanity wrote:I've read the first of the series, and to be honest I don't really know what to make of it. The plot has potential, but there's just too much happening, and far too fast - I think that Patterson should've split the first book into two and really expanded it so that it would be easier to read. Maybe that's his style; I don't know. But I think if he took his time with them, he could write them better.

It doesn't really change at all, all the books are 110% ATW (Actually all of his books. Daniel X is like that too). I do kinda agree with you that it could be better if he just SLOWED DOWN and gave you a bit more time for it to sink in where they were and what was happening. But when I read Max this morning and to be honest, even with everything going on, nothing major really seems to have changed from the third book to the fifth (other than some more Mang/Fax and other talents showing themselves) After I've read a book I make a point of going through the plot in my head (it really is interesting seeing what exactly you remember) but I can't really think of much from Max. There was some water stuff and some romance. . .and that was all I could remember.
☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

Grady: 'Cuz everytime you try to do something nice for us we end up sad
Nico: Or injured
Grady: Or in Mexico. . .

It's ALIVE.

☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:39 pm

Cat Moon wrote:
Spoiler:
But if this new flock come in randomly as a plot device, and then are just given names and ignored, then that gives about ten people desperately needing characterisation. I really wish we could just concentrate on the original Flock. I was so expecting this next book to be IGGY as well. I don't get why we suddenly skip to Angel. I was expecting her randomness to come in the final book in a big apocolypse where she goes all weird.

Spoiler:
But we don't care about this new flock. If they were characterized then it would make them seem important, which they so should not be, because they are NOT sticking around :sneaky:

ILiveForTheDay wrote:
Colour Insanity wrote:I've read the first of the series, and to be honest I don't really know what to make of it. The plot has potential, but there's just too much happening, and far too fast - I think that Patterson should've split the first book into two and really expanded it so that it would be easier to read. Maybe that's his style; I don't know. But I think if he took his time with them, he could write them better.

It doesn't really change at all, all the books are 110% ATW (Actually all of his books. Daniel X is like that too). I do kinda agree with you that it could be better if he just SLOWED DOWN and gave you a bit more time for it to sink in where they were and what was happening. But when I read Max this morning and to be honest, even with everything going on, nothing major really seems to have changed from the third book to the fifth (other than some more Mang/Fax and other talents showing themselves) After I've read a book I make a point of going through the plot in my head (it really is interesting seeing what exactly you remember) but I can't really think of much from Max. There was some water stuff and some romance. . .and that was all I could remember.

But going fast kind of works with the characters, because in the first book (especially) they are in a hurry and they have to do everything so fast because it's important. If he slowed that down, it wouldn't seem as urgent or important.
And yeah, not a lot happens in Max, which is why a lot of people don't like it, but I do. gotta love the Faxness though.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Cat Moon
Commander
Location: HIVE - The Higher Institute of Villainous Education

Postby Cat Moon » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:11 pm

lotrfan wrote:
Cat Moon wrote:
Spoiler:
But if this new flock come in randomly as a plot device, and then are just given names and ignored, then that gives about ten people desperately needing characterisation. I really wish we could just concentrate on the original Flock. I was so expecting this next book to be IGGY as well. I don't get why we suddenly skip to Angel. I was expecting her randomness to come in the final book in a big apocolypse where she goes all weird.

Spoiler:
But we don't care about this new flock. If they were characterized then it would make them seem important, which they so should not be, because they are NOT sticking around :sneaky:

Spoiler:
Hehe, how about we just...have no extra Flock?! Though I guess that's far too simple... :laughing: just kidding. I vote we characterize them, they turn out to be Eraser-style-evil-hybrids-mark-two, and then we can either get rid of them without any qualms or they can 'rebel against their lifde and go establish their own Flock who never sees them again. I kind of like that option. :laughing:
Thankyou for my avvie, Rain! I luv it!!! :laughing:

Do not let the Cat out. No matter what I tell you. :shiny:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:29 pm

Cat Moon wrote:
lotrfan wrote:
Cat Moon wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Hehe, how about we just...have no extra Flock?! Though I guess that's far too simple... :laughing: just kidding. I vote we characterize them, they turn out to be Eraser-style-evil-hybrids-mark-two, and then we can either get rid of them without any qualms or they can 'rebel against their lifde and go establish their own Flock who never sees them again. I kind of like that option. :laughing:

Spoiler:
But then if they turn evil and attack Max's flock, then once they beat them Max would be all "Thanks a lot Fang, you just had to go out and get an evil flock to attack us didn't you. Like we don't have enough problems." Either way, if they just come and go (which they will) then it doesn't matter whether they're characterized or not.
But they'll definitely be there, I'm pretty sure it says so in the info about the new book. Who says they'll all be bird kids though, I mean how many genetically engineered kids are there in the world anyway. I thought they were unique, but now there are all these others just out there in the world.
But anyway, they shouldn't be characterized. How would you even characterize them?
I think there should be a girl who tries to be with Fang, but her hitting on him makes him think of Max and makes him realize that he needs to go back to her. Fang should get a voice in his head that tells him that Max is in trouble and basically yells at him for leaving her and all. (ok that had nothing to do with what we were talking about, but still.)
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Invisible Ninja
Pixie

Postby Invisible Ninja » Tue May 25, 2010 5:20 am

I probably missed like the entire discussion about Fang, but..

Spoiler:
..I cried just as much as everyone else (at least I did mentally).

Palagrin
Mud Man
Real First Name: Rhys

Postby Palagrin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:43 pm

To be honest, the series seems to be getting worse and worse. The first 3-4 books were amazing. Then came the Final Warning, and it plummeted. Nothing has happened since then- it's very repetitious and boring. I just hope Patterson can bring the series back to life.
ThirstforFiction || Recent Reviews: Angel's Fury | Divergent | An Act of Love | Long Reach

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:40 pm

The first three were amazing, then I trawled through TFW. The quality improved a little with Max and Fang, but still not as good as the first three.
I want Iggy, Nudge and the Gasman to come back again, with character! They used to actually have characters, now it's Max, Fang, Angel, and the other three who only turn up when Flock decisions are made and have no actual dilemmas of their own.
I want MR7 to be called Iggy! Even though it isn't. It's called Angel.
Still! Maybe there will be Iggy in it anyway! (I love Iggy, can you tell? :laughing: )
And I want Iggy and Ella to get together! I think it was MR3...they met and they had some chemistry. And then nothing happened. :blush:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:12 pm

Cat Moon wrote:The first three were amazing, then I trawled through TFW. The quality improved a little with Max and Fang, but still not as good as the first three.
I want Iggy, Nudge and the Gasman to come back again, with character! They used to actually have characters, now it's Max, Fang, Angel, and the other three who only turn up when Flock decisions are made and have no actual dilemmas of their own.
I want MR7 to be called Iggy! Even though it isn't. It's called Angel.
Still! Maybe there will be Iggy in it anyway! (I love Iggy, can you tell? :laughing: )
And I want Iggy and Ella to get together! I think it was MR3...they met and they had some chemistry. And then nothing happened. :blush:

lol. I know, right? Yeah, the book totally should be called Iggy, but whatever. I'm hoping Angel will die in it though, that would solve some of out problems. (No, I'm not evil. Seriously, she's insane.)
Hopefully Iggy will have a role to play. It's possible because I actually thought that Fang didn't really play too big of a role in FANG, and it actually seems like the next one will be more about him than that one was, so who knows.

I still like all of them though :P
ImageImage Image

Lady Fei Fei
Elf
Real First Name: Irene

Postby Lady Fei Fei » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:45 pm

Palagrin wrote:To be honest, the series seems to be getting worse and worse. The first 3-4 books were amazing. Then came the Final Warning, and it plummeted. Nothing has happened since then- it's very repetitious and boring. I just hope Patterson can bring the series back to life.

^ I absolutely agree. The Final Warning was a good shot at trying to warn people of global warming, but it SUCKED. It seems like all Patterson is doing is making new, corny villians & ending the stories the same way. Plus, Angel is getting so dang annoying >:[
When "Fang" came out, I didn't even get it, because there's no point in being excited about Maximum Ride anymore. :(

Spoiler:
But I did hear about what happened in "Fang" and it ticks me off that he left the Flock. Especially sicne he's so "in love" with Max. And I hope Angel stays on the bad side this time, she pisses me off.

Btw, are they still 14?? When are they gonna age?

Anddddd Iggy's pretty much the best character in the series! :loveeyes:
"Around here, however, we don't look back for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors, and doing new things because we're curious, and curiousity keeps leading us down new paths."
~Walt Disney

"And the bottom line is, what defines you isn't how many times you crash, but the number of times you get back on the bike. As long as it's one more, you're all good."
~Along for the Ride

Regardless of warnings, the future doesn't care me at all. Nothing's like before.

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:11 am

They're fifteen now - I think it was in Fang that they randomly decided to have a 'birthday', but I'm not sure, it's been a while since I read the books.

~Moist von Lipwig

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:56 pm

Yeah, they had a "birthday" in FANG, so they're supposedly 15. (How do you just forget when your made up birthday is?)

@Lady Fei Fei - You should still read FANG. It was better than MAX and TFW, and I actually thought that it would be one of my favorites (until the ending). It was almost like old times. (Of course, this is coming from the person who still liked MAX and TFW so...)

And yeah, Angel needs to die. Literally, die. I know she's only 7, but seriously.
ImageImage Image

Palagrin
Mud Man

Postby Palagrin » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:57 pm

How do you just forget when your made up birthday is?)

I think they just have one when they want, because they don't know their real one.
ThirstforFiction || Recent Reviews: Angel's Fury | Divergent | An Act of Love | Long Reach

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:56 pm

Palagrin wrote:
How do you just forget when your made up birthday is?)

I think they just have one when they want, because they don't know their real one.

yeah, but still, if you made yourself a birthday why wouldn't you remember it? I guess maybe they have a lot of other things to focus on. :P
ImageImage Image

Palagrin
Mud Man

Postby Palagrin » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:38 pm

Wouldn't it be kinda of fun just having a Birthday when you want, though? And I doubt the flock keep track of time- like, I doubt they would remember that today was wednesday or something. For them it's just another day.

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:17 pm

Yeah, maybe, but Max is the leader, she should at least keep track of that kind of thing.

*randomly changes the subject*
Did you guys read the new manga? I thought it was pretty good. The school uniforms were a little weird looking, but Fang just looks so cute in dress shirts :laughing:
It makes me so sad that Artemis Fowl is a graphic novel instead of a manga. Man, they could have gotten so much right in a manga. And he would be so cute! :loveeyes:

(Don't laugh at my fangirl-ness)
ImageImage Image

Return to “Literature”