The Host

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
Lightbulb621
Orangeylicious Queen

The Host

Postby Lightbulb621 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:48 pm

Well, I didn't see any topic on this, but, this is about The Host by Stephenie Meyer. I really really like this book! =) It's a sci-fi and romance kind of book.
Gus Revolution
I heart my giant orange plushie and fluffy orange doggy. AG&Tyrie<3
Member of the Obnoxious Teenagers Club.
Official Secret AFC Agent
twitter outline behance

Lady Fei Fei
Elf
Real First Name: Irene

Re: The Host

Postby Lady Fei Fei » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:16 am

i must read that book!!!!! =[
but I'm saving up for TTP and breaking dawn........can u PM me some spoilers? plz and thanks!
"Around here, however, we don't look back for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors, and doing new things because we're curious, and curiousity keeps leading us down new paths."
~Walt Disney

"And the bottom line is, what defines you isn't how many times you crash, but the number of times you get back on the bike. As long as it's one more, you're all good."
~Along for the Ride

Regardless of warnings, the future doesn't care me at all. Nothing's like before.

crystal_clear
but you can call me Awesome
Real First Name: O rlly nao?

Postby crystal_clear » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:48 pm

THAT WAS SUCH AN AMAZING BOOK! I was going to start a thread for it...but my internet was being stupid that day so... yeah.
It was well written, it had good characters and it even made me cry.

EDIT: Anyone think it's weird that I'm going through my posts nearly a year later and changing it...? I'm almost embarassed by this.

I did prefer The Host to the Twilight books... >.< But I've found much, MUCH better authors than Stephanie Meyer...
Last edited by crystal_clear on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facebook: Stealing every aspect of your daily life and using it in our plan to dominate the world through mind control and hamster wheels since 2006.

Magerine2
Atlantean
Real First Name: Maggie

Postby Magerine2 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:47 pm

I have to disagree. *sniff* It took all my energy not to bash this book against the wall. The only reason I didn't is because my aunt got it for me for Christmas, and was constantly asking me, "How far are you?" "What's happened so far?" "Is it good?" Twilight fans...

But, I finished it. Finally. I thought it would never end. I remember thinking that if I had been her editor, the book would've only been half as long. I kept waiting for the plot to kick in, and when it finally did, when they finally got to Jared... He was a jerk for weeks. And when he left, the plot left with him. For months. Then Wanda has this problem of acting like a five-year-old drama-queen:

"Oh, nobody likes me, I'll never fit in! Everyone would be better off if I just died! WAAAA! ... Oh, look, it's Jared! :loveeyes: Oh, it's okay if he wants to kill me! He's still the love of my life, even if I've never met him before! WEEE! Hi Jared! OWCH! You punched me in the face and broke my arm and both my legs! Oh, that's okay, sweetie! I'll always love you. Gimme a kiss! YOWCH! Right... I DON'T DESERVE TO LIVE!!! WAAA!!!"

Well, I didn't care for it. You know, could've been better. Not a big SM fan, see. Sorry if I offended some people, just... getting my opinion out there. Oh, please don't kill me.
I do believe in Fowls! I do! I do!

THERE ARE TOO MANY AMAZING ARTEMIS FOWL QUOTES TO FIT ON THIS PAGE. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.
... Well that just sucks.

"One more step and it'll be your last. No hugs!" ~Major John Casey: NSA Assassin -Chuck

silverphoenix
Elf

Postby silverphoenix » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:09 am

Magerine2 wrote:I have to disagree. *sniff* It took all my energy not to bash this book against the wall. The only reason I didn't is because my aunt got it for me for Christmas, and was constantly asking me, "How far are you?" "What's happened so far?" "Is it good?" Twilight fans...

But, I finished it. Finally. I thought it would never end. I remember thinking that if I had been her editor, the book would've only been half as long. I kept waiting for the plot to kick in, and when it finally did, when they finally got to Jared... He was a jerk for weeks. And when he left, the plot left with him. For months. Then Wanda has this problem of acting like a five-year-old drama-queen:

"Oh, nobody likes me, I'll never fit in! Everyone would be better off if I just died! WAAAA! ... Oh, look, it's Jared! :loveeyes: Oh, it's okay if he wants to kill me! He's still the love of my life, even if I've never met him before! WEEE! Hi Jared! OWCH! You punched me in the face and broke my arm and both my legs! Oh, that's okay, sweetie! I'll always love you. Gimme a kiss! YOWCH! Right... I DON'T DESERVE TO LIVE!!! WAAA!!!"

Well, I didn't care for it. You know, could've been better. Not a big SM fan, see. Sorry if I offended some people, just... getting my opinion out there. Oh, please don't kill me.

I agree that Wanda was mary-sueish but she's part of an alien species who are gentle by nature, so I accepted that as an excuse. Melanie was... annoying, but she's not there most of the time so it's okay. I like Ian, yay Ian! And Jamie, yay Jamie! Though sometimes Jamie acts like he's much younger than he really is. Jared, I also did not like, I agree, he's a jerk. I think this book was far better written than Twilight, though not necessarily more exciting. If you think about it, the characters are a lot like the ones in Twilight, with a few additions. Maybe the second book will be better, we'll see. Overall, The Host was not bad, the sci-fi was pretty good actually.
"Did someone say Draco Malfoy?"

Magerine2
Atlantean
Real First Name: Maggie

Postby Magerine2 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:25 am

Yeah, I agree it was pretty good overall when you think back. Better than Twilight, I guess. The plot was good, it's just the writing that really bored me. It did sort of seem like I stepped into a nightmare... A really, really melodramatic nightmare. :laughing: It did seem strange to me that Wanda fell completely in love with Jared just based on Melenie's thoughts.

Eh... That's my opinion. I only read the book last month, so... yeah.
I do believe in Fowls! I do! I do!

THERE ARE TOO MANY AMAZING ARTEMIS FOWL QUOTES TO FIT ON THIS PAGE. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.
... Well that just sucks.

"One more step and it'll be your last. No hugs!" ~Major John Casey: NSA Assassin -Chuck

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:13 am

[Replying years after the fact x3]

I only read this book once, years ago not too long after it first came out, but I remember being pretty impressed by it at the time. Although the book was incredibly long, the story was compelling enough for me that I didn't mind.

The aliens--being an Animorph fan from way back when, this was a fascinating concept for me. The idea that the aliens are actually "good," true pacifists who all get along and hate violence. (Yet of course there's this underlying factor of darkness, in what these aliens are actually doing without really realizing the evil they're perpetrating.) Wanda was an interesting character in that she did feel a little a differently from the pack, but seeing her thrown into a situation where she was surrounded by humans, you see how the influences of her race and culture, and how starkly different that makes her from them. And also, the idea of having the story be from an alien being's point of view, and seeing that alien learn about humans and come to care about them--there was something amazing about that journey that I really enjoyed.

However, what I probably responded the most to and loved the most about the book is what I like about all of Meyer's books, and that's the deeply emotional core. I hear people often complain that 'nothing happens' in her books (or that there's no plot), but I think what often people don't realize is that the key powerful moments of the books are not physical events but emotional ones. And for me, The Host had this in spades. (Jared's basically abusive treatment of Wanda when she first arrives was actually one of my favorite parts of the book, for how painful and horrible it was--even though Jared comes off as a 'jerk,' I felt like it was understandable, given the circumstances. It was his way of dealing with the sickening situation he was in; the girl he'd once loved shows up, but under the control of one of the alien enemy, and as far as he knows, the girl he knew no longer exists. And you can understand how crushed and alone Wanda feels, and her fear. Which makes the moments later on when she begins, bit by bit, to gain more acceptance all the more powerful. That sense of hopelessness and oppression being surrounded by humans who hated her race gave what happens later, her friendship with Jamie and later the rest of them, a greater sense of emotional release.)

Of course, the drama of Meyer's books can get so extreme it could fall into the realm of melodrama, and I think some of those moments could be seen that way. But, again, I personally kind of like that the books are willing to go that far to achieve that heightened drama, without that sense of self-consciousness that sometimes I feel reading other books. (That is, the sense that the author is afraid to do anything dramatic or emotional, lest they be accused of melodrama.) I like books with key powerful emotional moments.

I wasn't a huge fan of the romance, Meyer's type of romance isn't really typically to my tastes. (Either in Twilight, or here, though I do like the Twilight series, even if I understand why many people don't care for it. Though strangely I did like it in Life and Death, the gender-swapped reimagining of Twilight that came out with the tenth anniversary edition, or at least I liked the romance up through about the first half of the book.) Mainly, I just accept it as a point of the plot, which drives the plot and drama of the rest of the book, but I didn't have a particular interest in it.

Magerine2 wrote: It did seem strange to me that Wanda fell completely in love with Jared just based on Melenie's thoughts.

Yeah, I think it's established that Wanda's love for Jared is based entirely on Melanie's memory of him. I didn't have a problem with that, since Wanda and Melanie are sharing a mind, and Melanie's personality is pretty forceful as compared to Wanda's. In fact, one of the points in the book that I really liked was Wanda's sense of fear that her own personality might actually be being overridden by Melanie's, and someday Wanda would disappear completely--this was an important part of the book, as it helped Wanda begin to understand how the humans felt in having their minds taken over.
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Likehemlo
Cave Troll

Postby Likehemlo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:31 am

I like this book too.

Return to “Literature”