Books similar to artemis fowl?

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
ArtemisFowlIII
Atlantean
Real First Name: Anastasia

Books similar to artemis fowl?

Postby ArtemisFowlIII » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:12 pm

Hey,
can anyone suggest for me any books similar to Artemis Fowl? Because I've reread all of my Artemis Fowl books, and I've even read some in French. I really need some books that are just as amazing..and if they had a genius main character that'd be awesome. And yes, I"ve already read the Bartimeaus Trilogy and Deathnote.
http://pentacle.nocturn-glare.net
The Pentacle-Check out this bartimaeus trilogy fansite and forums!
Artemis....is mine!! *defends self from attack by Frost*

jon218
Swear Toad

Re: Books similar to artemis fowl?

Postby jon218 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:57 am

i liked a book called revenge of the shadow king. it is about some kids that find out that their world is being attacked by oberon the shadow king. i also liked inkheart it is about a girl and her dad who read stuff out of books. they accidenntally read out a villan and have to escape him.
If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers."

"to boil the cabbage is to spoil the rot"-zaphron

"Give a man a fire and keep him warm for a day. Light a man on fire and keep him warm for a lifetime."

lethe_naiad
The Splendiferous
The Splendiferous
Real First Name: Lauren

Postby lethe_naiad » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:28 am

This is really in the wrong section - the book club is really a virtual book club. We only discuss specific books here.

I'll move this to Entertainment > Literature
ImageImageImageImageImage

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:11 am

The Higher Institute for Villainous Education. H.I.V.E. by mark Walden. Its about school that teaches young people exceptionally good at a certain thing, how to become a good criminal. Theres hackers, thiefs, fighters, and just people that are sly/cunning in general. The main character is like artemis fowl, not evil but still a criminal, and uses a large capacity of his brain. He and other people in the school form a group, the main characters, composed of him the artemis fowl like guy, the great fighter, the best jewel thief in the world, and a good hacker. The series has 2 books so far and is exceptionally good. Theres a worldwide criminal organization called Global League of Villainous Enterprises, run by a mysterious guy called NO. 1. One of their branches is H.I.V.E. NO. 1 is awesomely cool, you just have to read at least the second book too know why No. 1 is so cool.

And theres Enders Game, a book fool of young geniuses. And Enders Shadow.
Truth is: Texas sucks.

How is Gunny feeling on First Earth?

athenadowell
Atlantean

Postby athenadowell » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:47 am

Those books sound really interesting. I'm gonna go check 'em out. Thanks cezen!~ :laughing:
"Trust me. I'm a genius." Artemis Fowl II
"Whatever they're paying me, it isn't enough." Foaly

cam_LEP_girl
Goblin
Real First Name: Camilla

Postby cam_LEP_girl » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:36 pm

This school for criminals sounds a lot like Hogwarts...a mix of AF and HP... :> COOL!
Commander Julius Root's fan -you'll never die in my mind!
ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:55 pm

lol
well they spend the whole first book trying to escape, then run in with some problems

Spend the next book battling against a couple of rouge villains.

Harlan Phoenix
Atlantean
Real First Name: Harlan

Postby Harlan Phoenix » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:28 pm

ArtemisFowlIII wrote:And yes, I"ve already read the Bartimeaus Trilogy and Deathnote.

How is Death Note like Artemis Fowl? I've seen this mentioned around here a few times.
"All things are true. Few things are accurate."-Greg Weisman

ArtemisFowlIII
Atlantean
Real First Name: Anastasia

Postby ArtemisFowlIII » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:18 am

Death Note is similar because it's main character is also incredibly clever and rather criminal at a young age. However, unlike Arty, he doesn't get better.
http://pentacle.nocturn-glare.net
The Pentacle-Check out this bartimaeus trilogy fansite and forums!
Artemis....is mine!! *defends self from attack by Frost*

Griffar
Commander
Real First Name: Alex
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Griffar

Postby Griffar » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:14 am

cezen wrote:The Higher Institute for Villainous Education. H.I.V.E. by mark Walden. Its about school that teaches young people exceptionally good at a certain thing, how to become a good criminal. Theres hackers, thiefs, fighters, and just people that are sly/cunning in general. The main character is like artemis fowl, not evil but still a criminal, and uses a large capacity of his brain. He and other people in the school form a group, the main characters, composed of him the artemis fowl like guy, the great fighter, the best jewel thief in the world, and a good hacker. The series has 2 books so far and is exceptionally good. Theres a worldwide criminal organization called Global League of Villainous Enterprises, run by a mysterious guy called NO. 1. One of their branches is H.I.V.E. NO. 1 is awesomely cool, you just have to read at least the second book too know why No. 1 is so cool.

And theres Enders Game, a book fool of young geniuses. And Enders Shadow.

HIVE is a very good book. I first saw it in my school library when i was trying not to do work. but yeh i recommend this to anyone [9]+

I know you love one hundreds and thousands

Your Tears don't fall, they crash aroud me

Her conscience calls, the guilty to come home

gotta love Bullet For My Valentine

Ihdreniel
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Hannah

Postby Ihdreniel » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:11 pm

cezen wrote:The Higher Institute for Villainous Education. H.I.V.E. by mark Walden. Its about school that teaches young people exceptionally good at a certain thing, how to become a good criminal. Theres hackers, thiefs, fighters, and just people that are sly/cunning in general. The main character is like artemis fowl, not evil but still a criminal, and uses a large capacity of his brain. He and other people in the school form a group, the main characters, composed of him the artemis fowl like guy, the great fighter, the best jewel thief in the world, and a good hacker. The series has 2 books so far and is exceptionally good. Theres a worldwide criminal organization called Global League of Villainous Enterprises, run by a mysterious guy called NO. 1. One of their branches is H.I.V.E. NO. 1 is awesomely cool, you just have to read at least the second book too know why No. 1 is so cool.

Seconded; I like this series (except for that stereotypical fat German kid who's obsessed with food and constantly speaks in the third person; he annoys the hell out of me). I've been hoping a third installment will come out soon.
"eeeep!" says the insane chibling.
And then. . .

It attacks.

Image Image Image
Co-President of the Obnoxious Teenager Club
"Quantity > quality! Remember that."
~ Voldy

(P.S. Ze opéra ghost wants 'is paycheck.)

Shadestar
Gremlin

Postby Shadestar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:08 am

Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks is SLIGHTLY similar. But better, if you ask me. It starts when 7 year old Cadel Piggot gets caught hacking... and then his... Well long story. I can't describe it any other way than 'awesome'. Also, I have been meaning to read HIVE, but haven't gotten to it yet.
Momento Mori, dear.

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:26 am

Shadestar wrote:Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks is SLIGHTLY similar. But better, if you ask me. It starts when 7 year old Cadel Piggot gets caught hacking... and then his... Well long story. I can't describe it any other way than 'awesome'. Also, I have been meaning to read HIVE, but haven't gotten to it yet.

It was okay.
I personally didnt like it that much.
I mean, the school just emptied throughout the book. Because of dumb reasons. There was that bad smelling boy, who just seemed purposeless.

Felix
Gremlin

Postby Felix » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:07 am

I would recommend revenge of the shadow king, although it isn't very similar to AF.
However, you should stop after the first book. The second is generic and boring.
~The original WallMaster~
Walls are no obstacle to me!
I could be inside your walls right now...
I even get discounts at Wal-Mart!

CaptainCabinet
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name: Heather

Postby CaptainCabinet » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:52 pm

I highly recommend a Mister Skulduggery Pleasant

Really good book, about a skeleton detective, its got the same humour as the Artemis Fowl books do if not a bit more. Bits of magic here and there, fighting, puzzle solving and general stupidity :P

Truly a good series, third one is out now and i wet myself over it :P

btw I am 16 so just letting you know that this book is definitely worthy of different ages.

Captain Cabinets, trapped in Cabinets,
Can he get out? Will he get out?
Course he will!

I LOST the game! :)

Return to “Literature”