Books similar to artemis fowl?

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
Multiverse
Elf

Re: Books similar to artemis fowl?

Postby Multiverse » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:30 pm

I looked through the thread, and it seems like this hasn´t been mentioned yet: The Secrets Of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott. Like AF, its basic settings build upon the human tendency to misunderstand things, transforming magic, etc. to 'stuff of legends'. It hasn´t got the sarcastic/witty remarks that´re constantly seen in AF, but if you´ve got as much as a basic historical knowledge, you´ll recognize a few characters over the course of the series. So far there´s four books - The Alchemyst, The Magician, The Sorceress and The Necromancer, but a fourth, The Warlock, will be available in a few days. ;)

And I support those who mentioned Skulduggery Pleasant - it does have a whole lot in common with AF. :)

-Multiverse

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:51 am

Started reading through the first book of the Secret of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel.

This was a couple of years ago.

Closed it in disgust at the horrible writing and cliched way they used magic. This near the beginning of the book. Can't remember much except that it was really bad.
Truth is: Texas sucks.

How is Gunny feeling on First Earth?

Tenzen12
Pixie

Postby Tenzen12 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:17 am

The Stainless Steel Rat series from Harry Harrison. Similiar humor, pacing and genial characters. I somewhere even read AF is considered to be succesor of TSSR. also you can get graphic novel if you want .

and look at this (description of two characters).
Spoiler:
James and Bolivar diGriz

They are the twin sons of the Rat and Angelina. The Rat missed the first six years of their life because of his adventures in time, but they share their father's attitudes and many of his skills. They end up marrying the same woman, who falls in love with both of them and gets herself duplicated into two identical women sharing one mind.

Is it coincidence or colfer read it? I would realy like to ask him.
Spot light steeling squad
Spoiler:
Criminal: Who are you guys!?
Tiger: You mean us? We're-
Blue Rose:We're the heroes of this town! [Steps on criminals face] My name is Blue Rose. We keep the peace in Sternbild at all times!
Tiger: ...What she said.
—Tiger and Bunny

Wolverine: Stay on topic, bub! This movie's about me!
Rorschach: Weren't all the X-Men movies about you?
— I'm A Marvel... And I'm A DC: Wolverine and Watchmen

Heroic Blue screen of Death
Spoiler:
Artemis: I don't like lollipops...

Venkman: Ray has gone bye-bye, Egon... what've you got left?
Egon: Sorry, Venkman, I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought.
—Ghostbusters

Antonio: Hey, Blue Rose, help us out!
Karina(Blue Rose): Daughter... Wife... Haha. Hahaha... *eye twitch*
Antonio: It's no use! We broke her!
—Tiger and Bunny (get know her crush better... he is widower, though)

Multiverse
Elf

Postby Multiverse » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:01 pm

cezen wrote:Started reading through the first book of the Secret of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel.

This was a couple of years ago.

Closed it in disgust at the horrible writing and cliched way they used magic. This near the beginning of the book. Can't remember much except that it was really bad.

In all honesty, I felt that way, too, to begin with. However, by that point I´d started feeling the same way about the first AF (you know, a not-quite-finished universe, etc.?), and I was also reading the Danish translation of it (which takes away most of the wording skills, anyway), so I made it through. By the end of book two, I was kinda caught by it.

You´re right, though, it is cliched. I just like it anyway, somehow. There´s an entertainment value just in keeping together all the loose ends. :laughing:

JetDragon1656
Mud Man
Real First Name: Stephanie

Postby JetDragon1656 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:32 am

sherlock holmes!!!!!!!!!!!! :shiny:
"There are no endings in life, just new beginnings."-Flavia
"Never try to tell someone everything you know...you might find out that it takes to short of a time."-teacher
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."-Abraham Lincoln
"If I were you then you'd be me and if I were you I would hide somewhere far away."-Artemis Fowl

ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

artificialGenius
Sprite
AFC Fan Fiction Name: artificialGenius

Postby artificialGenius » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:11 am

cezen wrote:
Shadestar wrote:Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks is SLIGHTLY similar. But better, if you ask me. It starts when 7 year old Cadel Piggot gets caught hacking... and then his... Well long story. I can't describe it any other way than 'awesome'. Also, I have been meaning to read HIVE, but haven't gotten to it yet.

It was okay.
I personally didnt like it that much.
I mean, the school just emptied throughout the book. Because of dumb reasons. There was that bad smelling boy, who just seemed purposeless.

This is an old post, I know... But I'd just like to say, Gazo (said bad-smelling boy) gets a LOT more purpose in the later two books and the school sort of stops being THAT relevant after the first book.
Also recommending Evil Genius forever because it's amazing.

Ender's Game is also quite good, though I haven't read any of the sequels except Ender's Shadow (and that was a while ago anyway). I want to read Alex Rider, which I heard is somewhat similar, but I haven't yet since I can't find the first book.
My avatar was made by feastings on tumblr.
"Well, you've gotta stop selling your soul to the devil. He's just gonna want more and more, it's like a drug."

artytwin
Commander
Real First Name: Fatima

Postby artytwin » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:50 am

jon218 wrote:i liked a book called revenge of the shadow king. it is about some kids that find out that their world is being attacked by oberon the shadow king. i also liked inkheart it is about a girl and her dad who read stuff out of books. they accidenntally read out a villan and have to escape him.

does that shadow king book happen to be about a kid called charlie bone? dont feel like googling it and finding out XD

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:04 pm

artytwin wrote:
jon218 wrote:i liked a book called revenge of the shadow king. it is about some kids that find out that their world is being attacked by oberon the shadow king. i also liked inkheart it is about a girl and her dad who read stuff out of books. they accidenntally read out a villan and have to escape him.

does that shadow king book happen to be about a kid called charlie bone? dont feel like googling it and finding out XD

Hello there. :) No, Revenge of the Shadow King is the first book in the Grey Griffins series, which I happen to like. Though those books are kind of creepy.

I don't really know of any similar books to Artemis Fowl that I've read though. Unless maybe you count the manga I like. It's kind of obvious which one it is. :>
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

GMontag
Swear Toad

Postby GMontag » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:05 am

It's for an older audience than AF, but The Dresden Files have a similar magic/cop dynamic, with Harry Dresden the wizard, who is a police consultant for a largely skeptical (of magic) Chicago police force, set in a mostly normal-looking United States, except for magical events and beings that aren't recognized as such by most of the population. Much heavier on the fantasy components than AF generally is, but the "rules" for magic, and the overall world, are also much more well-developed.

Also, while it's certainly not what I would call "explicit," Dresden does have a lot of elements that would not be suitable for younger audiences.

Return to “Literature”