what is it with black-haired boys?

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
bentj96
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Steven
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Dark Star

Re: what is it with black-haired boys?

Postby bentj96 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:26 am

Yes, good point. Black hair doesn't only make them stand out, but standing out generally means something special which makes that particular character deserving to be the main character. Actually about any eye color... I've never seen a black haired guy...that's not Asian, African or emo with black hair and brown eyes. But getting to the point...Having black hair and pale skin lets the author put in lots of depressing stories without making it seem OCC.
Also known as Dark Star.

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

I WON the game.

Glow sticks glow when snapped. Why can't my leg?

"How? She gonna blink Morse code?" -Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break: The Final Break)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~lorddarkstar

15bubbles
Mud Man
Real First Name: J.H.

Postby 15bubbles » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:49 am

I realized that too. By the way, in response to an earlier post, Percy has green eyes. :lick:

Also blondes normally would have pale skin and then there'd be too much to contend with racism. Brown seems a little too friendly? Maybe because of "mouse brown"? Red heads seem to to generally come with fiery girls and I suppose red heads seem to region-specific? *throws hands* I give up.
When I'm stressed, I laugh. When I'm happy, I laugh. When I'm nervous, I laugh. If I find something funny, I can't stop laughing.

If you find any poisonous plants in your tea, just to let you know, it wasn't me.

Don't pop my bubbles. I'll get depressed.

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi
Real First Name: Phoebe
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:57 am

ILiveForTheDay wrote:Basically what has been said here, Black is strong, can be dark, dominant etc, etc.

But other than black hair has anyone noticed how hair+eyes are stereotyped in books?

(for men)
ex. blonde hair + blue eyes = total hottie everyone wants to date this guy
ex. Brown hair + brown eyes = really deep guy, is always nice, can always trust him
ex. Black hair + whatever colour eyes = the 'bad' guy in the story, can't trust him
ex. red hair + blue eyes = the class clown, always seems to come from Ireland

It gets even worse with girls!

I guess appearance is used by authors to reflect personality, eg if there is a feiry charater you'd give him or her red hair.
Although I must admit I've not seen any main charaters with red hair. Surely, if it's a rare hair colour then it would help to show something special in the charater eg if the main charater has some magical powers.
Other than that, I think authors avoid brown hair and brown eyes because it's plain, and they want their charaters to "stand out" as it were. So they'll use black or blonde hair, as often authors don't see inbertween shades, so when discribing a charater they just use soild hair colours (black, blonde ect). They won't use red often, because it's rare, and I think authors hate gingers :/ XD
Although what you said about people in books with red hair and blue eyes I disagree with. Although I can see how authors would make people from scotland and Ireland ginger, as I mentioned before, in books apperance reflects personality.
I see you too! XD

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:31 pm

I think guys who have black hair have at least a little dark-side in them. Also, recently I've noticed that almost all of my favorite book characters have black hair and a little bit of dark side,
Artemis, Fang (from MR), Murtagh (from Eragon), Zuko (not a book character, but still)...

Apparently I've found my type... :loveeyes:
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

hyunjoonglovie
Elf
Real First Name: Jess :P

Postby hyunjoonglovie » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:01 am

Would it be completely irrelevant if I said black hair is hot?... But I have actually noticed alot of black haired guys (get ready for my list XD):
- Matt from the power of 5
- Artemis Fowl
- Percy Jackson
- Fang (maximum ride)
- Harry Potter
- Vladimir Tod
...The reason I listed them, is because all of these characters have something in common; they're background is (generally) mysterious, and they are all very seclusive/secretive and tend to have dark outlooks (this is general, I noticed PJ and HP don't really fall into this category).

For example, Alex Rider has blonde hair and even after everything he goes through in the series, he still seems to be a very bright character (lol, and his hair colour is symbolic of this?).

Then again, we could be reading too much into this, the author's like myself might just think black hair on a guy looks cool XD
We all have a dark side...

Spoiler:
That awkward moment when someone says "hi" to you, and you reply with "I'm good"... -_-

That shite moment in an argument when you realise you are wrong...

That awesome moment when the teacher asks you a question, thinking you weren't being attentive. Then you answer it right, it's like "What now! WIN!!!"

That depressing moment when your mum scribbles on the award your school gave you in congratulations for all your hard work, just to get her stupid pen to work D':

But you love me XD

Frondish17
Pixie
Real First Name: Liv
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Frondish17

Postby Frondish17 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:15 am

I am currently reading the Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman and the main character, Caliban, has black hair as well. I have noticed that, and - what is more disturbing - I have done that in my own writing! lol I think black hair is kind of like an author's note in a way. "Look, people, this guy has black hair. If it's a main character, he's gonna be secretive, moody, dark, hard, cold, mysterious, or unearthly. If it's a side character, he's gonna be evil, the unexpected hero, the brooding type, or a traitor - and he's probably lying to you." Very stereotyping.

[/center]
Them, we liked

15bubbles
Mud Man
Real First Name: J.H.

Postby 15bubbles » Sun May 22, 2011 9:15 pm

:laughing: One more thing to watch out for when writing!
But about the whole "Main character -- what it means thing"
Pereus Jackson breaks that one a bit. Not exactly secretive, moody, dark, hard, cold or mysterious. He is a demigod, though which could be counted as unearthly. But plenty others do fit this trend.
When I'm stressed, I laugh. When I'm happy, I laugh. When I'm nervous, I laugh. If I find something funny, I can't stop laughing.

If you find any poisonous plants in your tea, just to let you know, it wasn't me.

Don't pop my bubbles. I'll get depressed.

evilopalrocks!
Heavenly Huntress
Real First Name: Eden

Postby evilopalrocks! » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:33 pm

well, hair usally makes a personality wether you think you are judging by it or not... it's simply atuomatic...
if the hero is blond, you think he's suppose to be the totaly hot guy, if he's redheaded, you would think he's notty and easily pissed-off, and brown hair, well... it's kind of a in-the-middle color... (I have brown hair too...) so, black hair is probebly the best hair color for a hero....
Hi people.
I have something very important to tell you.
But now I forgot what it was.
Maybe I'll remember later. who knows.
If I will, I'll be sure to write it. So..... Yeah.
Dismissed. Carry on.

evilopalrocks!
Heavenly Huntress

Postby evilopalrocks! » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:55 pm

it sort of shows a strong personality.....
Hi people.
Dismissed. Carry on.

Tenzen12
Pixie

Postby Tenzen12 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:49 pm

But there are two kind of black hairs.

1.Default hair - most of people on this planet have black hair so it saying he is also just human with normal needs.( HP)

2. raven hair - not as normal, show Heros dark side and coolnes.(AF)

I think it is important defferent these two types.

To evilopalrocks!: in right up corner is button edit, it is better change your post than do double one. I personaly don't mind it though.
Spot light steeling squad
Spoiler:
Criminal: Who are you guys!?
Tiger: You mean us? We're-
Blue Rose:We're the heroes of this town! [Steps on criminals face] My name is Blue Rose. We keep the peace in Sternbild at all times!
Tiger: ...What she said.
—Tiger and Bunny

Wolverine: Stay on topic, bub! This movie's about me!
Rorschach: Weren't all the X-Men movies about you?
— I'm A Marvel... And I'm A DC: Wolverine and Watchmen

Heroic Blue screen of Death
Spoiler:
Artemis: I don't like lollipops...

Venkman: Ray has gone bye-bye, Egon... what've you got left?
Egon: Sorry, Venkman, I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought.
—Ghostbusters

Antonio: Hey, Blue Rose, help us out!
Karina(Blue Rose): Daughter... Wife... Haha. Hahaha... *eye twitch*
Antonio: It's no use! We broke her!
—Tiger and Bunny (get know her crush better... he is widower, though)

Frondish17
Pixie
Real First Name: Liv
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Frondish17

Postby Frondish17 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:30 am

very true. if it's RAVEN hair it is EXTRA special. XD

[/center]
Them, we liked

evilopalrocks!
Heavenly Huntress

Postby evilopalrocks! » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:32 pm

thank you Tenzen, I'm kinda new in these things...
Hi people.
Dismissed. Carry on.

fullmetalflame
Swear Toad

Postby fullmetalflame » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:20 am

Really it depends on the kind of book, whether it be an action drama, or a comedy, or even a romance
i have noticed that the boy with the almost black hair is strong and silent, or is smarter than he looks
but doesn't want anyone to know ( not thinking of Artemis here)
he lets people know he exists in different ways, be it a butt-whoopin of a lifetime or a simple nod of
the head.
"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
-500 year old giant lion turtle

Carefully watch your thoughts for they become your words.
Manage and watch your words, for they will become your actions.
Consider and judge your actions, for they have become your habits. Acknowledge and watch your habits, for they shall become your values. Understand and embrace your values, for they become your destiny.”
-Mahatma Gandhi

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
-Edward Elric, the Fullmetal Alchemist

Return to “Literature”