Cover Art

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Cover Art

Postby BkkprGirl » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:41 am

How much does cover art influence your decision to buy a book? Is bad cover art, or boring cover art a turn off? How about examples of your favorite covers?

For me, cover art is the single most persuasive thing other than plot description that I take into consideration. I think it shows that the people who published the book have taste. Bad cover art isn't especially a turn off, it's just not eye catching and I'm less likely to look at a book if it looks boring. Of course if the story itself is interesting enough, it could be clothed in an old diaper and I wouldn't care.

Some of my favorite covers are:

Bad Monkeys by Matt Ruff
http://literatehousewife.files.wordpres ... onkeys.jpg
One Big Damn Puzzler by John Harding
http://content-6.powells.com/cgi-bin/im ... 0061132186
The softcover edition of Farenheight 451 by Ray Bradbury
http://www.greece.k12.ny.us/ath/Library ... eit451.jpg
This style of cover design that appears on a lot of Neil Gaiman books
http://files.neilgaiman.com/SmokeandMirrors-775463.jpg
http://www.neilgaiman.com/works/images/ ... 846460.jpg
And this edition of Anansi Boys is also awesome.
http://meerchant.files.wordpress.com/20 ... i_boys.jpg
"Stories are the only thing worth dying for."
~The Unwritten

winnie1994
Atlantean
Real First Name: Winnie

Re: Cover Art

Postby winnie1994 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:58 am

XD I have that version of Anansi boys.
right now I can only think of:
Sabriel by Garth Nix, the version which is pure white and has a rune in center
Inkheart trilogy covers
Breaking Dawn(i think even twihaters must admit that the cover's got style)
Eragon(only the first book)
Raven Rise by DJ Machale(pendragon)
Despereaux(so cute!!!!)
Deathly Hallows(I like the colors(of course I'm talking about the American one, the British covers SUCK!))

Covers don't really have a influence over me, cuz I notice the titles first, then the synopsis. But if there were different versions of a book, I'd definitely buy the prettier looking one, as long as the price isn't too high.
I'm at school right now, so:P I don't have the time to put photos up. sorry bout that.
Lollipops!---Artemis Fowl Junior

hollyshort_reconjock
Commander
AFC Fan Fiction Name: aliasZ

Postby hollyshort_reconjock » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:02 pm

Covers are a big deal for me. Most people say "don't judge a book by its cover," but sometimes that's all I judge a book by. Sometimes I will read the most awful books as long as the cover is cool and eye-catching. I love book covers that show action and are very mysterious, showing just enough of the cool side of a book to make me want to read it. A good cover also shows tat the author cares about how the book looks, which is good. That means they don't just depend on their amazing writing skills to get people to read the book. I would probably have never read Twilight if the covers weren't wow-inspiring. They look so mysterious and there's a story behind every one.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Witty name here
Atlantean

Postby Witty name here » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:08 pm

Mm, I agree that while the Twilight series is awful, the covers are nice. They're simple but rather eye-catching, plus the font is oh so pretty.

The Thursday Next series have really good-looking covers:
Spoiler:

Eye-catching, well drawn, colourful and suits the series' bookish and absurd nature.
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- The Restaurant at the End of the Universe - Douglas Adams.

FoalysGirl
The Techie

Postby FoalysGirl » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:28 am

Funny story, it was because of the cool looking cover of Artemis Fowl that got me into the book.
"Edwin, what's the plural for Ox?"
"Oxen. The farmer used his oxen."
"Brian,"
"What?"
"What's the plural for box?"
"Boxen! I bought two boxen of doughnuts."

---Brain's stupid in school comedy skit

"I'm the dude, playing the dude, disguised as another dude." ----Tropic Thunder

"Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock." ------ Buffy season 6

"He was like....Napoleon!" ---Me

Mrs Opal Fowl
Elf
Real First Name: Erika

Postby Mrs Opal Fowl » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:54 pm

Nah, I'm one of those old style people who don't judge a book by its cover. 8) Well, I just picked up AF from my Christmas gift pile and started reading. And then learning how to love.

Shadestar
Gremlin

Postby Shadestar » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:45 pm

This kind:
Spoiler:
Momento Mori, dear.

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

Postby Kitsy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:21 pm

Well, covers are important because it gives you an impression of the book (though sometimes it may be a false one.) I don't like tacky looking covers, though not OTT trying-to-be-artistic-and-failing type either. Also they should look professional, as if this is a serious writer with a good book.
I like the Tracy Chevalier covers (ie. Girl with a Pearl Earring) because they're all old paintings etc. which I think is great for the books because they're very artistic. The Old Kingdom Series (Garth Nix - Sabriel etc.) have nice covers, the very simple ones with each book in one colour and the title done in gold or silver, very artistic. Also like the first book with all the charter marks on it. I don't like the ones with the people on the front - think they look tacky.

And then there's the SoUE covers, which look professional, but also show that they're meant for teenager readers as well (the bright colours.) But then the art on the front is quite dark, almost morbid which suits them.

Tbh, I think the covers are mostly the second impression. The first impression is the title (and I guess the side bit with the title on it, ahh, the name's slipped off my tongue.) After all, when you're in a library or a book shop the books are all with their titles facing outwards, not the front covers so that's what you see first. It should capture your attention and also say something about the book.
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

Cat Moon
Commander
Location: HIVE - The Higher Institute of Villainous Education

Postby Cat Moon » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:53 pm

I love the covers that give you some idea of how the world and the characters look like - not so as you can't imagine it, but just enough to give you a feel for it.
Thankyou for my avvie, Rain! I luv it!!! :laughing:

Do not let the Cat out. No matter what I tell you. :shiny:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:55 pm

I have to admit, the new special edition covers of the AF series are pretty sweet!! Especially TTP!! Pretty much perfectly portrays how I thought the characters would look, and they have a lot of drama, too. Well done!
~The Unwritten

Cat Moon
Commander
Location: HIVE - The Higher Institute of Villainous Education

Postby Cat Moon » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:26 pm

I love the Thud! cover! Normally, I see a picture of a character and think, 'What?! That's completely wrong!', but they got Vimes completely right!
Thankyou for my avvie, Rain! I luv it!!! :laughing:

Do not let the Cat out. No matter what I tell you. :shiny:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

hollieshort_girl
Atlantean

Postby hollieshort_girl » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:26 am

I do look at a book and decide whether I want to borrow it or not. However, it's also taught me how true the saying "you can't judge a book by its cover" is. Sometimes I borrow a book with an interesting cover, only to realize that the plot (or the characters) don't interest me as much as I'd like.

Usually I read the synopsis on the inside cover, but that doesn't always work out so well, either. Sometimes I pick up a book, thinking that it sounds interesting, but then I change my mind as soon as I begin on the first chapter. I don't mean to boast, but I've read a lot of books in the children's/YA section and I kind of know what I like and what books are good. As a result, it's really hard for me to find good books nowadays. I've started turning to classics-mostly because I figure that if they were good enough to last for a hundred years, they must still be worth something.
Click please :D

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:59 pm

I agree with Hollyshort_girl-- I feel like it takes me a really long search to find a book nowadays. When I was little, I would just pick something up and start reading, but now that I've developed more of a "taste", it's really a lot harder to find something. Also I'm in that awkward stage where I feel like I'm unsatisfied by a lot of YA and Teen books, but most adult literature still bores me.

Nice covers contribute a lot to that search--if it has someone kissing or a burberry pattern with a bunch of rich snotty kids on the front, I know to steer clear because that's waaaay outside of my taste. But one of my favorite books of all time, Fool on the Hill by Matt Ruff, has kind of a stupid looking cover, even though the story is great.

Even though I haven't actually bought it yet, the cover to this book really caught my eye and it made me really want to read the book:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/image ... 307041.jpg

I love the way the tree/night sky blends in with her dress. I would have been all over it--except that it's like a 29 dollar book, and I feel guilty paying that much when I could buy like four cheap paperbacks for the same price. I have to wait until it's out in paperback because that's just ridiculous. It's not even that thick.

So really enticing covers can be annoying, too--especially when they're on the front of a really expensive book.
~The Unwritten

Multiverse
Elf

Postby Multiverse » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:25 pm

There are two things for me to like in a book - its story, and its physical appearance (in fact, the same could be said about people, except people also have the option of simply being nice). Also like people, I won´t care for its appearance if its story isn´t worth something.

To speak out of similes, the hardbacks of The Secrets Of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel has some of the neatest cover art I´ve seen, especially if you´re going to collect all of them. The New York edition of Gideon The Cutpurse (the version with a hole in it and an eye on the first page) isn´t bad either, and neither are the more recent Discworld covers, or those of Lemony Snicket´s A Series Of Unfortunate Events.

-Multiverse

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:47 am

*Dredging up incredibly old topics*

I very rarely buy books (in fact, I really only buy books that I've already read, and know I like X3), but they can affect if I buy or not.

Recently, I'd been sort of feeling like I might reread the Harry Potter series again, and was considering buying the ebooks for kindle (of the entire series, I only had a few of them, and one was a huge hardcover, which I knew I wouldn't be able to get myself to tote around X3), but when I saw the new covers by Kazu Kibuishi, I decided to get those instead. (The art is beautiful. You can see the new covers here: https://chasingtheturtle.files.wordpres ... buishi.jpg)

As for reading, I think the covers affect my choices less than they used to, but they will very often affect which books I pick up the shelf when I'm browsing.

However, I've found my tastes in covers (which covers draw me in, and which make me keep on moving) have changed, so in that sense, it's hard for me to define 'good' covers and 'bad' covers, at least when it comes to bestsellers and other books that have gone through a long vetting process. (And I've found that some of the covers that draw other people in are the types of covers that I would automatically skip. For instance, for some reason I tend to pass over covers with bright colors that appear to belong to the humor genre, and also old-fashioned covers. Plain covers that don't give much of an indication of what they're about I often miss, too.) But at the same time, sometimes plain covers, particularly for non-fiction books such as those written by Malcom Gladwell can be attractive to me, because it's all about the title and subtitle, and whether those seem to deal with an interesting concept. But I'm sure that's also because of association, because I've come to like those sorts of books now, whereas I didn't when I was younger.

I guess for me a 'bad' cover constitutes a cover that makes a book appear to be in a genre it's not. In that case, the book attracts the wrong audience, and puts off the audience that the book would really do best with, and so the people who end up reading the book are bound to be disappointed, and the people who might really like it miss out.

But I guess because I like to draw, my favorite covers are ones that feature beautiful artwork, realistic enough to bring the characters/setting from the books to life, with good character designs that really look how you might imagine the character might be. As I said, I really like the new Harry Potter covers, but I think my favorite covers growing up were those of the Animorph series, particularly those that feature the aliens such as the Andalites or the Hork Bajir.

Here are a couple of my favorites:

The Andalite Chronicles: Image

The Hork Bajir Chronicles (this one I think was on the back cover, or maybe the inside flap): Image

I guess this is exactly the kind of artwork I've always wanted to do, art (such as graphic novels) that tells a story, or portrays a scene from a larger story that the audience knows. So those are the kind of covers that I really pay attention to.
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Return to “Literature”