Favorite Comics/Graphic Novels

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Re: Favorite Comics/Graphic Novels

Postby BkkprGirl » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:43 am

I just read all six volumes of Scott Pilgrim! I love it so much!!!

It was completely hilarious!
"Stories are the only thing worth dying for."
~The Unwritten

Kiki
Atlantean

Postby Kiki » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:24 am

I just read the first 2 volumes of Scott Pilgrim. It’s awesome! So funny XD The next 2 come out next month here. It’s a shame the movie probably will never get to theaters here =( It’ll probably be just released to DVD… I wanted to see it so much on a big screen…

Forgot, a while ago I read Persepolis. Really good as well!
Word of the month: Work

Writers: Editors are your friends, not your mortal enemies. We are not trying to destroy your style, your hard work or even your life. Believe me =)

I see you

jasminemark

Postby jasminemark » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:52 am

I love to read all humorous and comedian comics.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:47 am

[Late ;p]

Now that I think about it, I haven't really read much in the way of western comics. From the occasional flip-throughs I've done of superhero comics and such, I've found I generally prefer manga, and can get into the stories of manga more easily, I think because typically manga employs a variety of techniques that communicates emotion more powerfully, and so makes it easier to emotionally connect to the characters. (As opposed to western comics, where the drawings are more focused on being rendered more realistically.) Although, like I said, I haven't looked at too many western comics and that could be overgeneralizing, but that was how I felt looking through western comics I've seen--the artwork is amazingly impressive and I just have to stare at it for how good it is, but I don't get as readily attached to the characters as in many of the manga I've read. (Or maybe it's the style of humor in manga that appeals to me more?)

However, there are a couple of exceptions. After getting into Teen Titans (I believe an American-produced cartoon with strong anime influences), I went back and looked at quite a bit of the comics, both some of the older stuff from the 80s, and the newer ones, with some pretty intense, amazing artwork. I enjoyed those quite a lot. (Though a lot of that was, again, because I already had a connection the characters from watching the show--I'm not sure how connected I would feel to the characters just reading the comics, even if the art was pretty ridiculously amazing.)

The other comics I've been reading are the new Avatar comics from Dark Horse. Once again, I'm reading these coming off watching the show (again, American made, but with an anime style of art and anime influences), so I already have a connection to the characters, but I have to admit, they're pretty amazing. They carry the feel of the original story so well, and the story continues to be interesting and compelling, in spite of the limitations of comics versus full animation. (Which has the benefit of movement and sound.) They're definitely core canon material, and not a half-effort spin-off. I've been a bit obsessed with them since I started them, and I'm interested to see the next one.
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Return to “Literature”