Animorphs by K. A. Applegate

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
Antilles
Rolling Thunder
Real First Name: Mohammad

Re: Animorphs by K. A. Applegate

Postby Antilles » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:55 pm

Oh, man, Animorphs. I miss that series. It was a huge chunk of everything I read between 6th and 8th grade, but I kept reading the books long past that.

I ended up losing interest after Applegate started handing the books to her interns to write, though. I'd like to go back and finish, I think I made it to 42 or so before I stopped reading. Some of the plot lines had gotten really lame, but most of the original stuff is still pretty good.

I remember, in 9th or 10th grade, I saw a sign in a construction site that said "VISSER CONSTRUCTION." :scared:
"oh sharkie is so evul" -sharkie
"Oh sure, ANTILLES gets love and hugs and confetti. What do I get? The halfway empty coffee carafe...and someone left the creamer out...it has lumps in it. I hate you all." -IzzyTehMuze
"OMGWOOT I COULD FEED 33 HUNGRY WEASELS" -Nick

Tyrison
Ty(rosine)
Real First Name: Mary
Location: Preferably in a good book, AFC, writing fanfic, or working on my novel. ^_^

Postby Tyrison » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:01 am

^Creepiness. :P

I really got into Animorphs because my two youngest(but still older than me) brothers were really into it, and I sneaked a peek at some of the books they got. I remember being seven or eight years old, and looking at the books, and pretty much disregarding them at first because they only had the one picture in the front. But a year or so later, I actually picked up some of the books and read them, and really enjoyed them. I would say that they were my first big book like.

Antilles wrote:I ended up losing interest after Applegate started handing the books to her interns to write, though. I'd like to go back and finish, I think I made it to 42 or so before I stopped reading. Some of the plot lines had gotten really lame, but most of the original stuff is still pretty good.

Yeh...some of it did get kind of old after a while, but I can't blame it for happening in the books...and I think they did pretty well for such a long series. Heck, even some trilogy series get wayyyyyy old after the second book in the series, because it so closely follows the same plotline. So yeah...I think they did well with as much as they wrote.

Daniel91 wrote:First of all, that
Spoiler:
Rachel dies
should be spoilerized.

Point taken; I edited and fixed my post, then fixed it in thine. :)

[/my two cents]
The quandary of Autumn's child
I'm not sure if falling leaves
are merely butterflies that
have died or photographs
we don't remember taking.

GUS'S DISCIPLES OF SEMI-SEXY, TAKING OVER THE WORLD!
Official Secret AFC Agent 008 ~ Since whenever

But this morning, there's a calm I can't explain; The rock candy's melted, only diamonds now remain...

Invisible Ninja
Pixie

Postby Invisible Ninja » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:55 am

Antilles wrote:I ended up losing interest after Applegate started handing the books to her interns to write, though. I'd like to go back and finish, I think I made it to 42 or so before I stopped reading. Some of the plot lines had gotten really lame, but most of the original stuff is still pretty good.

Oh did she not write them all? Guess I didn't do my research. :P

Daniel91
Swear Toad

Postby Daniel91 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:20 am

Invisible Ninja wrote:

Many of the books from #25 to #52 were ghost-written. The ghostwriter wrote the story in accordance to KAA's detailed outline, and KAA later edited it to make it conform to the series storyline.

On a related note, Animorphs is going to be re-released as 'Animorphs Classic'. O happy day! :D

Invisible Ninja
Pixie

Postby Invisible Ninja » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:26 pm

Daniel91 wrote:
Invisible Ninja wrote:

Many of the books from #25 to #52 were ghost-written. The ghostwriter wrote the story in accordance to KAA's detailed outline, and KAA later edited it to make it conform to the series storyline.

On a related note, Animorphs is going to be re-released as 'Animorphs Classic'. O happy day! :D

Oh, that would explain why so many of them were so much worse than the others..

What do you mean? I heard they were coming out with new covers for the books or something, but..

Daniel91
Swear Toad

Postby Daniel91 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:42 pm

Invisible Ninja wrote:What do you mean? I heard they were coming out with new covers for the books or something, but..

Sorry, I'm out of time, so I'll just link.
http://blog.animorphsfanforum.com/2009/ ... e-and-2-0/ :)
Last edited by Daniel91 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Invisible Ninja
Pixie

Postby Invisible Ninja » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:52 pm

Daniel91 wrote:
Invisible Ninja wrote:What do you mean? I heard they were coming out with new covers for the books or something, but..

Sorry, I'm out of time, so I'll just link.
http://blog.animorphsfanforum.com/2009/ ... e-and-2-0/ :)

The URL doesn't work for me. Is it my computer's problem or the website's? o.O

Daniel91
Swear Toad

Postby Daniel91 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:12 am

Apparently, the website. The link has been moved, as I came to know when I inquired.

Updated link :
http://blog.animorphsfanforum.com/2009/ ... e-and-2-0/

Invisible Ninja
Pixie

Postby Invisible Ninja » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:12 am

Daniel91 wrote:Apparently, the website. The link has been moved, as I came to know when I inquired.

Updated link :
http://blog.animorphsfanforum.com/2009/ ... e-and-2-0/

Sweet. 8) Are there any dates on that yet? Or where would I find them? The Scholastic website?

Daniel91
Swear Toad

Postby Daniel91 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:17 am

No specific dates have been mentioned by the source from Scholastic or by Micheal Grant. And there hasn't been any official announcement on this from Scholastic yet.

Antilles
Rolling Thunder
Real First Name: Mohammad

Postby Antilles » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:48 am

Apparently the going rumor is for late 2010/early 2011, no idea how accurate that is though.

I'm kind of torn about this. On hand, I think it's so cool that my favorite childhood series is being re-released, maybe even with some editing to fix the canonical mistakes. On the other hand, I have such a hard time even imagining going back to it and reading it again, as much as I would like to.
"oh sharkie is so evul" -sharkie
"Oh sure, ANTILLES gets love and hugs and confetti. What do I get? The halfway empty coffee carafe...and someone left the creamer out...it has lumps in it. I hate you all." -IzzyTehMuze
"OMGWOOT I COULD FEED 33 HUNGRY WEASELS" -Nick

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:28 am

[Late reply...but I saw this, and I wanted to write at least something. >>]

Yeah, I'd seen when they started re-releasing them, but I'm not sure what happened with that. (I heard somewhere awhile back they'd stopped.) Though to be honest, I did like the original covers more. (One of the things I loved about the Animorph series was the covers and artwork, particularly ones featuring the aliens.)

This is also one my favorite series from my childhood. I think I started reading the books from our school library when I was in second grade or so, and I read a few of them over and over before i started getting them from the public library we usually went to.

Like I think someone else on here said, I did love the books as a kid, but reading them again as an adult, you realize there are so many deeper themes running throughout the stories that you didn't notice.

The ghostwriter thing--reading the series again now, I don't remember having a problem with that. Every single one of the stories seemed good to me, though maybe if I went back and did some close analysis, I'd see some differences in writing style. However, I agree with those that said the Chronicles were definitely a step above--The Andalite Chronicles might be my favorite book of any of the series, though The Hork Bajir Chronicles were very good too, as was 'Visser.'

As for my favorite books of the series...I'm not sure, most of them would probably be from Rachel's POV, since she was my favorite character when I was younger. (Definitely The Separation would be near the top, and The Reaction. From my more recent reading through of the series, I would also have to put The Return on there. I'm pretty sure when I first read the book, I wasn't really fully appreciating the events and mental struggle going on there. Also, again, this wasn't one of my favorites when I was younger, but I thought The Change was just incredible, in the moral questions it grappled with. The Yeerks are set up to be pure evil, and so learning more about them as individuals and seeing how their culture has affected them while also seeing how they each have their own separate views really gives the series a greater sense of depth.)
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Return to “Literature”