Animorphs by K. A. Applegate

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
Invisible Ninja
Pixie

Animorphs by K. A. Applegate

Postby Invisible Ninja » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:59 pm

Animorphs is my most favourite series ever! And I've read a few books in my day. Who else just luuuvvs Animorphs? :loveeyes:

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Re: Animorphs by K. A. Applegate

Postby BkkprGirl » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:32 am

Woahhhh.... Animorphs!! That takes me back a while...

Animorphs was my sister's favorite series for a loooong time, even though I only ever read a couple of them it still made a big impact on my childhood. For several years running, our absolute top favorite game at Recess was playing Animorphs.

So even though I was never a huge fan of the writing and I didn't get into the books a lot, I did like Animorps. A lot. My favorite book that I actually read was the one that was about the girl Andalite and the Hork Bajir on that distant planet... That one was good. I always liked Hork Bajirs and Andalites. Taaxons not so much.

Hahah there was this one weird kid that always took it too far whenever we played Animorphs... Whenever we got tired of it and wanted to play something else he'd be like "The yeerks have taken over your brain!!" He never really lived that one down.
"Stories are the only thing worth dying for."
~The Unwritten

Invisible Ninja
Pixie

Postby Invisible Ninja » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:24 pm

The Hork-Bajir Chronicles? Aldrea? Can't remember the Hork-Bajir's name.. :-k Yeah that was totally a good one. I luved it. :D

Haha nice! :laughing: Sounds like a fun guy lol!

lionoftheredsand
Gremlin
Real First Name: Ryan

Postby lionoftheredsand » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:44 pm

I remember getting the first 5 books in a box set when I was like 8 or something for Christmas, man was that a great series, read every single one of them, though I was sad with the ending, killing of main characters makes the book have more feeling, take note Meyer.

I've tried to get my youngest sister to read them, she said they were a cheap rip-off of The Host, girl can't read publishing dates apparently.

Spoiler:
Shocker!

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:22 pm

You read ALL of them?? Weren't there like 400? Or is that Magic Treehouse I'm thinking of?
"Stories are the only thing worth dying for."
~The Unwritten

lionoftheredsand
Gremlin

Postby lionoftheredsand » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:29 pm

BkkprGirl wrote:You read ALL of them?? Weren't there like 400? Or is that Magic Treehouse I'm thinking of?

There are 54 in the Animorphs series and then about 10 or so other ones, I've read all the ones in the main story and then the two Alternamorph books.

I started reading them in 1998 or 1999 and read through them all, they aren't that long. No difficult vocabulary.

Spoiler:
Shocker!

Invisible Ninja
Pixie

Postby Invisible Ninja » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:39 pm

Definitely, very easy reading.

Spoiler:
I did like how Rachel died in the end, just because she kind of had it coming to her.. Applegate did a fabulous job of addressing issues like Is Killing In War Justified? and stuff like that.

Plus how she switched first-person narration to view each person's perspective.

lionoftheredsand
Gremlin

Postby lionoftheredsand » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:49 pm

Yep, but easy reading definitely doesn't mean bad reading, otherwise I would have never read all of that.

Spoiler:
Rachel dying was bittersweet for me. I can't remember if Tom (I think that was Jake's brother's name) died as well.

Spoiler:
Shocker!

Invisible Ninja
Pixie

Postby Invisible Ninja » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:22 pm

lionoftheredsand wrote:Yep, but easy reading definitely doesn't mean bad reading, otherwise I would have never read all of that.

Spoiler:
Rachel dying was bittersweet for me. I can't remember if Tom (I think that was Jake's brother's name) died as well.

I didn't mean that. Twas quite easy reading, yet easily one of the best series I've ever read.

Spoiler:
Yeah, that's a good word to describe it. Bittersweet. He did not, he escaped with the few remaining Yeerks that were part of the earth invasion. :(

Shadestar
Gremlin

Postby Shadestar » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:38 pm

Hm... I don't think I ever read those. But I did read her other series... about the world exploding and the kids living on another planet... they were, uh, bad.
I mean I liked the first one a little but then they were boring and hard to follow (the characters were everywhere... just not my kind of book). Once I got to book 4 or so I struggled to finish it, and returned it the the library in search of better books.
Hmph, funnily enough I wrote a story about the world exploding (the only piece of writing I have EVER been happy with) and my mother said it wasn't appropriate and erased it. Bye-bye hard work :/. [/rant]
Momento Mori, dear.

Invisible Ninja
Pixie

Postby Invisible Ninja » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Shadestar wrote:Hm... I don't think I ever read those. But I did read her other series... about the world exploding and the kids living on another planet... they were, uh, bad.
I mean I liked the first one a little but then they were boring and hard to follow (the characters were everywhere... just not my kind of book). Once I got to book 4 or so I struggled to finish it, and returned it the the library in search of better books.
Hmph, funnily enough I wrote a story about the world exploding (the only piece of writing I have EVER been happy with) and my mother said it wasn't appropriate and erased it. Bye-bye hard work :/. [/rant]

Yeah I read most of that one, and I didn't like it very well either. It's not near as good as her Animorphs books. In comparison I'd give Animorphs 100% and the other series (why can't I think of the name?) maybe 40%..

Shadestar
Gremlin

Postby Shadestar » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:29 am

The Remnants, just remembered xD. (it was bothering me so)
Momento Mori, dear.

Invisible Ninja
Pixie

Postby Invisible Ninja » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:41 pm

Ah, yes. Remnants. Indeed, twas rather..disturbing. :-

Knarpulous
Mud Man
Real First Name: Jade

Postby Knarpulous » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:04 am

Ah, Animorphs. I loved that series so much as a kid. I think I had over 40 books, and some of the chronicles/megamorphs books. I also enjoyed Visser.

It was nice how she characterized the aliens and made them so different for a kids series. Like, the Andalites experiencing a mouth for the first time. :laughing:

Invisible Ninja
Pixie

Postby Invisible Ninja » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Totally! Wow that's awesome, 40 books?! :laughing: Yeah Visser was a good one, indeed. :D Yeah I luved how she did the various aliens and all, those were awesome. Which alien species/individual did you enjoy most? :)

Return to “Literature”