Your favorite book besides any of Colfer's and Harry Potter!

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
TheMikerophone
Swear Toad
Real First Name: Michael

Re: Your favorite book besides any of Colfer's and Harry Pot

Postby TheMikerophone » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:55 pm

Exactly like the gladiators. Suzanne Collins (the author of the books) used a lot of themes directly influenced by Roman culture. 'Tis awesome.

Celsica
Dwarf

Postby Celsica » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:26 pm

Purple_Enigma wrote:The Vampire Academy series. (No, don't cringe, don't let Twilight prevent you from reading an awesome book)
It's really good!!

I read those,and I actually liked them in certain degree. (BTW, it seems that the author is going to write a spin-off series :ohmy: ) But that's not my favorite.

My favorite, after AF (obviously) is Percy Jackson and the Olympians. He's sooo funny! and I think the theme is original enough (I hated the movie though)
"I'll spare you the details, but basically the smoking jacket is not smoking"
Neal Caffrey --- White Collar

hyunjoonglovie
Elf
Real First Name: Jess :P

Postby hyunjoonglovie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:12 pm

The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod by Heather Brewer as well as Percy Jackson by Rick Someone (XD)

Vlad Tod is sooo good, probably replaced Artemis Fowl as my favourite series. Then I read Percy Jackson which also replaced Artemis Fowl as 2nd fav. Both series' have been planned well and written fantastically.

♥♥♥ XD

Read them if you get a chance, I doubt you will be disappointed.
We all have a dark side...

Spoiler:
That awkward moment when someone says "hi" to you, and you reply with "I'm good"... -_-

That shite moment in an argument when you realise you are wrong...

That awesome moment when the teacher asks you a question, thinking you weren't being attentive. Then you answer it right, it's like "What now! WIN!!!"

That depressing moment when your mum scribbles on the award your school gave you in congratulations for all your hard work, just to get her stupid pen to work D':

But you love me XD

CallMeDomovoi
Swear Toad

Postby CallMeDomovoi » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:35 am

For this question I'd have to say that my favorite books (besides above-mentioned series) are the ones in the Maximum Ride series, "1984" by George Orwell, and anything out of A Series Of Unfortunate Events.

Of course, that's just a fraction of what I read.
Doppler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when you come at them rapidly.
--
WARNING: This person has a doctorate in sarcasm. Proceed with caution.

TheMikerophone
Swear Toad
Real First Name: Michael

Postby TheMikerophone » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:14 pm

Awww, I really miss reading the Unfortunate Events books. :( And in the end, we even have no idea if the Baudelaires + Beatrice survive.

Exit
Tunnel Blue Spider

Postby Exit » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:19 pm

My favorite book besides Artemis Fowl? Hmm. Probably "Slick" by Daniel Price. It covers the media and public relations life in gritty detail alongside some complicated romance. It won't be winning any awards for its writing (even though the writing is good, it's very stylized), but the subject matter is discussed too little. I quite enjoyed it.

Tenzen12
Pixie

Postby Tenzen12 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:50 pm

My favourite books are:

Moonlight Bay Series - from Dean R. Koontz (I love anything from him but this is best)
Lincoln Rhyme Series - from Jeffery Deaver (same)
Tuf Voyaging - from G.R.R. Martin, Tuf is best hero of all times :laughing: Recommended
Artemis Fowl Series - do I have to write what is it?
Spot light steeling squad
Spoiler:
Criminal: Who are you guys!?
Tiger: You mean us? We're-
Blue Rose:We're the heroes of this town! [Steps on criminals face] My name is Blue Rose. We keep the peace in Sternbild at all times!
Tiger: ...What she said.
—Tiger and Bunny

Wolverine: Stay on topic, bub! This movie's about me!
Rorschach: Weren't all the X-Men movies about you?
— I'm A Marvel... And I'm A DC: Wolverine and Watchmen

Heroic Blue screen of Death
Spoiler:
Artemis: I don't like lollipops...

Venkman: Ray has gone bye-bye, Egon... what've you got left?
Egon: Sorry, Venkman, I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought.
—Ghostbusters

Antonio: Hey, Blue Rose, help us out!
Karina(Blue Rose): Daughter... Wife... Haha. Hahaha... *eye twitch*
Antonio: It's no use! We broke her!
—Tiger and Bunny (get know her crush better... he is widower, though)

FadingLight
Mud Man

Re: Your favorite book besides any of Colfer's and Harry Potter!

Postby FadingLight » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:00 pm

I really like Rick Riordan's books (you know, the author of Percy Jackson?). They're very funny, but some parts are quite touching. Also, the Septimus Heap series, by Angie Sage, is very good, even if it's not as popular. And there's also Wonder, by R. J. Palacio, and Stargirl, by Jerry Spinelli. Stargirl almost made me cry at the end.
I said you were smart, Mud Boy. I was wrong; are exceptional.—Qwan
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
We can only change the future, not the past or present.—Artemis Fowl II
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

AF Lover
Truly Devoted Fan
Real First Name: Lucy

Postby AF Lover » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:30 pm

H.I.V.E.!!!!!

(To the tune of YMCA)
H-I-V-E
Come and stay at the
H-I-V-E

KearaAdara
That D'arviting Person
Real First Name: Keara. -_-

Postby KearaAdara » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:54 am

I'm rather mainstream and unadventurous when it comes to books, I'm afraid.

Well, not really unadventurous, it's just a rare book that catches my interest, and when it does, it's typically a one-off book, which is infuriating because I can't follow a series, which merits book-hunting... Yet again. For me, books have a sort of vibe which I can feel in the first few pages, and if I don't like the vibe, I don't read it. I like the humorous, child-like vibe of books, which can be a problem because the books with that vibe typically are for 5 year olds. I love Artemis Fowl because it has that vibe, while at the same time not really belonging to the 'childish' children's books.

That said, Percy Jackson is a good series, with a similar vibe to AF, though I didn't really like Heroes of Olympus. I always like the original series more than its spin-offs, it always seems like the author runs out of ideas in those.

La Souris Bleue
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name: Alice

Postby La Souris Bleue » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:49 am

The Ender's Cycle series from Orson Scott Card, my favourite being the second book, Speaker for the Dead. I also like Isaac Asimov's Robots stories a lot, especially the ones with Powell and Donovan because these guys are just the unluckiest men ever (I mean, each time they go on a lonesome planet there are robots who suddenly decide to blow a fuse) and they make me laugh x') (yes, that's very cruel. don't question that)
''T'es juste assez intelligent pour te rendre compte que tu l'es pas assez ; c'est déjà pas si mal.''

~ J'aimerais pas crever un dimanche

NerdGurl
Gremlin
Real First Name: Kaeli
AFC Fan Fiction Name: NerdGurl

Postby NerdGurl » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:09 pm

Oh! I love Harry Potter! But besides that, my favorites are probably...

The Iliad :loveeyes:
The Odyssey :loveeyes:
A Conspiracy of Kings :lick:
The King of Atolia :shiny:
The Queen of Atolia 8)
The Thief :loveeyes:
Percy Jackson(the first series, the second one was horrible.) :lick:
The Lunar Chronicles( I've read them 4 times!) :shiny:
Lord of the Flies :shiny:

Wow...I'm insane!

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:47 pm

Hey, I liked the second Percy Jackson series better than the first one. Although that's possibly because I was older when I read it (and my younger self would be offended at the implication that fourth-graders can't enjoy books properly).

Also, I agree that the Ender Saga (that's what my library website calls it) is awesome. Although I've only read Ender's Game and Speaker For The Dead. In fact, I just read Speaker For The Dead this morning, and the whole book I was twisting the events in my head and trying to figure out all the whole piggy-tree-virus-thing. I think Ender's a really interesting person, and a complicated character.

I would like to add Atlantis Rising, The Last Dragon Chronicles, The Last Dragon, The Raven Boys, the Lunar Chronicles, and the first 39 Clues series (especially The Gauntlet) as my personal favourites. I liked Ella Enchanted, by Gail Carson Levine, but most of her books were too romance-y for me. Also, I read The Age Of Miracles pretty recently, and I couldn't possibly tell you all the good things about that book, so you should just look up the reviews (nah, I'm just lazy). It's based on a pretty scary idea: what if the Earth's rotation started slowing down, and didn't stop?
I said you were smart, Mud Boy. I was wrong; are exceptional.—Qwan
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
We can only change the future, not the past or present.—Artemis Fowl II
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

AF Lover
Truly Devoted Fan
Real First Name: Lucy

Postby AF Lover » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:30 am

Adding on Black Butler and Attack on Titan!

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:53 am

First, some comments on some of the series that have already been recommended. (:

Ender's Game: Oh yeah, this series is absolutely amazing. It's been so long since I read the series, but I remember how the complexity and depth of the characters is just phenomenal, and the world Card constructs is one of the most believable I've read in terms of space travel/alien encounters type of stuff. The series deals with such topics as war and religion in a subtle way, and often surprises you when you've just come to believe that the books are promoting a certain message by turning around and demonstrating a much deeper and more complex view of the situation. I think I've read fewer series I admire more than this one. (I really need to get back and read these again, I've only read the first of the new prequel books on the leadup to the war with the Formics. I know at least one more has come out since I read that one.)

Percy Jackson: I didn't read this series until recently (it was on the recommendation of AF fans here on this forum I finally picked it up, hehe), and it's definitely a ton of fun. A broad cast of interesting characters, and you really learn a lot of the more obscure legends surrounding the Greek gods. I enjoyed all the books, but personally, I definitely got more into it with the sequel series, The Heros of Olympus. The introduction of the Roman camp, and the new characters (I loved the start of the first book, meeting Jason, who doesn't know who he is or what's going on, and Piper and Leo), plus seeing Percy, Annabeth, Nico, and all the others a little older was awesome. I don't know what it is, but I really love seeing series that can capture a broader sense of time, starting out with kids as the main characters and getting to see them get older and change over time. (That's part of the reason I love Harry Potter so much, and Artemis Fowl has that too, to an extent.)

Oh, there's also another series Riordan wrote about demigods, only the story revolves around the Egyptian gods instead, which I've been wanting to read. (I read the first book, and from what I've read, it seems the two stories coexist in the same story universe, and I think there's even a short story where the two stories intersect. I really like seeing stuff like that.)

The Queen's Thief series (including The Queen of Atolia, etc.): Someone recommended this one to me awhile back, and it's really good. The story is crafted in such a clever way, you almost can't believe the twists this story takes. (Not sure if I've read the latest one that's out, I really need to check it out. I've fallen behind on so many series. X3)

Another series I'd recommend, Pendragon by DJ Machale.
This is a series I picked up in junior high, and read all the way through the end. It's been a long time since I read it, but looking back I'd say it has a similar vibe to the Percy Jackson series, with a lot of humor, a lot of action, and powerful moments of real drama. It creates a very interesting larger world, which you learn about and discover a bit more book by book.

As for my favorite book/series besides Artemis Fowl...Probably have to go with Animorphs. They were my absolutely favorite books back when I was in second grade or so (probably up through sixth grade, before I got onto Yugioh X3), and a couple of years ago, I decided I would go through and read the entire series beginning to end again. I was floored by just how good the series was, especially in deeper aspects of the story that, as a kid, I didn't really pick up on. The characters are both iconic/memorable, but also complex and nuanced, and the mix of humor and drama is incredibly well done. It's like Harry Potter and Artemis Fowl in that the target audience is kids, but there's a lot of deeper themes going on, and I particularly found it's commentary on morality in war and how war changes people (in the context of this secret war with aliens) very striking. The series also builds up quite a diverse and fascinating set of different aliens, capturing at once very particular cultures of each race, but also creating believable individual people within those races. I absolutely love this series.
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Return to “Literature”