What do you like in a book?

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

What do you like in a book?

Postby Kitsy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:24 pm

Since this place is filled with both aspiring authorse and booklovers; I thought I'd ask what qualities [other than the basics: good plot, etc.] do you like to read in a book, any special storylines or such?
And for writers, what do you like writing?

I personally love romance/tragedy - well written so it's not soppy, so it's more epic than mush. The idea for this thread came from the debate about who would win, Holly or Root and a discussion inside it about how Root and Holly would be pitted against eachother.

I was reading this book where the alpha female and alpha male of this wolf pack were forced to fight to the death, and whoever won would die a painful death, so the male went to kill his mate so that she would di quickly. Aww. </offtopic>

That's something I said, and that was the kind of thing I love in a book. Real tragedy, when the lovers are pitted against each other, or forbidden to see each other [hence, Romeo & Juliet is my fav] or when they think the other has betrayed them etc. Or, my special favourite: when one has to leave the other or something bad happens, but can leave no explanation.

Yah, so that's what I love in a book. [s]I'm a romantic, I know Rolling Eyes[/s] I also like going really in-depth characterization, when we cry and feel all the emotions that the character feels. Mostly when it's told from first person, and you just feel so absorbed into what's going on </bablling>

As for when I write, I pretty much like the same stuff ^^. I love when I write something like the above, and then I feel what my characters are feeling, I become absorbed and am able to write down through characters all of the above, for those emotions to almost go through me as well.

So, thats a bit long. But yes, what do you think?
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

Gus
Master of Haven

Postby Gus » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:46 pm

I'm drawn toward the sci-fi/fantasy genre... But I'm more picky when it comes to sci-fi; I prefer hard sci-fi. The kind that has more realistic science in it (ie not Star Wars).

But I think the main thing that draws me in is the plot. How the plot is intricately weaved with the characters. Each character has their own story and journey, but the way it all fits into the bigger picture. </fragments>
Image Image
My Artemis Fowl game: Part One | Part Two | Part Three

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:50 pm

Like LOTR and Wheel of Time? Where each character has a story that...yeah..what you said.

Opal Koboi
Pixie

Postby Opal Koboi » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:02 pm

Yes, that's always very cool. And I like also books, you can't stop reading. Or books, you have to cry at least one time Crying or Very sad
~~>Fluctuat nec mergitur<~~

He said, "I've watched your palace up here on the hill
And I've wondered who's the woman for whom we all kill
But I am leaving tomorrow and you can do what you will
Only first I am asking you why."

Foaly went to a shelf and took something that looked like a gum bottom.

Root: "You can't be serious about that. What is it for?"

Foaly: "Nothing, but it's a real party hit."

Gus
Master of Haven

Postby Gus » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:05 pm

Holly Short wrote:Like LOTR and Wheel of Time? Where each character has a story that...yeah..what you said.

Exactly. Those are good examples. Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is another one, and Otherland by the same author.

To an extent, HP is like that, but I never really liked HP as much as I like TLOTR/WoT/MST/etc...
Image Image
My Artemis Fowl game: Part One | Part Two | Part Three

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:14 pm

HP, no matter how 'dark' the plot goes, is a childrens book - and I've found that it is rare to find a book that young children [8+] can read and understand, just doesn't have that depth that I love in books.

HDM is an exception for example.

squint
Elf

Postby squint » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:22 pm

I was reading this book where the alpha female and alpha male of this wolf pack were forced to fight to the death, and whoever won would die a painful death, so the male went to kill his mate so that she would di quickly. Aww. </offtopic>

What book was that? I read this one book where a whole bunch of horrible things happened to this wolf pack, and it might've been the same one that you read, but I read the book almost three years ago, so I can't really remember any of the details.
I am the almighty invincible Cinna. Don't argue with me, you will never win.

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:55 pm

squint wrote:

What book was that? I read this one book where a whole bunch of horrible things happened to this wolf pack, and it might've been the same one that you read, but I read the book almost three years ago, so I can't really remember any of the details.

The Sight - David Celement-Davies.
About the wolf with the sight, named Larka?
Last edited by Kitsy on Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

squint
Elf

Postby squint » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:49 am

YES THAT'S THE ONE I READ!!!!!! That book was awesome!
I am the almighty invincible Cinna. Don't argue with me, you will never win.

Stupid Ape
Centaur

Postby Stupid Ape » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:32 am

I like books that make me want to keep reading and are gripping and that's basically it any book that does that is good by me, but i am drawn mainly to fantasy when selecting books but i have yet to decid if i actually like them, but heh
God changes Lives. Will you let him change yours?

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:50 am

Stupid Ape wrote:I like books that make me want to keep reading and are gripping and that's basically it any book that does that is good by me, but i am drawn mainly to fantasy when selecting books but i have yet to decid if i actually like them, but heh

Same, I'm more drawn to Fantasy than anything else, propably because there's this while new world which I have no idea about, which you can set to explore.

*makes thread about Sight*

arty_gal
Tomato President

Postby arty_gal » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:41 pm

I like anything that tests my imagination. And mostly fantasy and in the middle I was addicted to science fiction. I am spilling soup all over......will write later. Razz

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:44 pm

I've read a few SF books, they were okay but not that great.

So, my perfect book [genre] would be Romance + Ye olden times + Heroine [the female hero, not the other type] + realistic characters [a big one for me] + plot twists, but not too many.

Ihdreniel
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Hannah

Postby Ihdreniel » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:50 pm

I will basically read anything, but I guess my top genres would be fantasy/sci-fi (I'm counting those as one, just because), realistic fiction, and historical fiction. My favorite general plot-line for a book is when everything starts out normally, and then the plot kind of dissolves into fantasy- like the main character discovers a portal to another universe, or an alternate dimension... stuff like that. I generally prefer that type of book over one that takes place in another world altogether... but I do have exceptions.
"eeeep!" says the insane chibling.
And then. . .

It attacks.

Image Image Image
Co-President of the Obnoxious Teenager Club
"Quantity > quality! Remember that."
~ Voldy

(P.S. Ze opéra ghost wants 'is paycheck.)

mnm_maniac
Centaur
Location: see that tiny speck of dust on your computer screen? yeah, not there.

Postby mnm_maniac » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:17 am

i love romance/sci-fi/fantasy! as long as a book has magic, romance and doesn't trail on and on and on and on...well basically as long as it's not boring.

Return to “Literature”