What do you like in a book?

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
nemivicious
Tunnel Blue Spider

Postby nemivicious » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:16 pm

I'm a fantasy geek. That was never anything I set out to be, I just happen to love exploring a new world. And I kinda like romance, but if so I prefer to write it myself (alot of it does become fanfiction), because in many cases like AF I can't see him with someone I don't like beforehand, that's why I'm really sceptical towards this new Minerva.
Okay, that was off topic, but fantasy AND romance is great.

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

Postby Kitsy » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:09 pm

Ihdreniel wrote:I will basically read anything, but I guess my top genres would be fantasy/sci-fi (I'm counting those as one, just because), realistic fiction, and historical fiction. My favorite general plot-line for a book is when everything starts out normally, and then the plot kind of dissolves into fantasy- like the main character discovers a portal to another universe, or an alternate dimension... stuff like that. I generally prefer that type of book over one that takes place in another world altogether... but I do have exceptions.

Hehe, I don't really like that sort of thing. I don't mind if it starts of normal for that character. ie. a maid in a middle-ages london household, a peasant in some village in ye olden agees, Lyra in her Oxford or Rand in the Two Rivers - but if its just in our world and then something magical happens, I find that hard to believe.
The Sublte KNife and the Darren Shan Saga are slight exceptions, and maybe Harry Potter - but I think that's about it.

I love historical fiction, i love love love it. Hehe </sad> Not to keen on modern-realistic fiction. Meh.

And for what Nem said: When I think of fantasy + romance, I normaly mean full-length, deep-kinda romance. I don't really see how Colfer's going to put romance in TLC. [s]But as long as theres some H/T - im good </offtopicness>[/s]
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

Julia
Pixie
Real First Name: Rebecca
Location: Ontario, Canada... if I had it my way Victoria, B.C.

Postby Julia » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:12 pm

I like a book that explores something that has never been thought of before. I love fantasy and historical fiction. But mostly I love a book that I can just lose myself in. Then I don't have to think of the fight I had just with my sister, or the test that I have to do on Monday, or the friend who is going through a hard time. I can just sit down in my comfy little armchair, pick out a book from my bookshelf, and lose myself.

VampireSmile_Fangirl
Tunnel Blue Spider

Postby VampireSmile_Fangirl » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:01 am

I basically love all types of books as long as it has a great plot and get attached to the characters, but mostly im a sucker fir fantassy, and realistic fiction with some romance Rolling Eyes
Light travels faster than sound, therefore, someone may seem beautiful until you hear them speaak. -unknown

RuiLin
Mud Man

Postby RuiLin » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:03 pm

I really don't know what I like in a book. Mostly, I pick books that are humourous, or fantasy, but then I could read a, I don't know, historical fiction, and love it. I'm not very picky, as long as the book has a good plot, characters and is a smooth read (I don't like most classics authors, Charles Dickens...etc, because they drone on and on... I've never been able to finish Robinson Crusoe and I hated The Christmas Carol, you just lose interest int he end.)

-RuiLin Laughing
Lollipops!

Whoever says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Nocturna
Swear Toad

Postby Nocturna » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:35 am

Oh, a chance to expound on my reading habits! Fun, fun, fun. I am very fond of well written fantasy, am intrigued by sci-fi (specifically Orson Scott Card's Ender cycle) but can really enjoy any genre. I'm quite eclectic. My only true dislikes are smutty romance, overblown thrillers, and icky horror. Oh, and anything that I percieve as juvenile. Artemis Fowl is probably one of the last children's books that I still love. I like to think that I have good taste. Wink

In any book, I love (in no particular order), tragedy/drama (The Grapes of Wrath *sigh*), clever plotting (The Westing Game, anyone?), romance (Gone With The Wind kind), in-depth characterizations (OSC!), thought-provoking ideas (OSC again!), pretty figurative language, wit, and emotional depth (which goes along with everything else). Epics are fun.

I personally think that J.K. Rowling has accomplished all of this in Harry Potter, though other authors can do particular things better.

Yes, I've given all of this a lot of thought before! Sorry if you have a problem with it, lol.

oh no not her...
Pixie

Postby oh no not her... » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:26 pm

I have often been asked what books I like reading, and I always answer - "Anything".

I love quirky books, like 'Millions' by Frank Cortrell Boyce, and 'The Curious Incident of the dog in the nightime" by Mark Hadden, and anything by E. L. Konnigsburg or K. M. Peyton. I love action, mystery, romance, humour, twists... I'm not that keen on tragedy though.
Unfortunately, my internet at home (I'm in school at the mo) has gone caput, much to my dismay. Hense misterious disappearence.

Graystripe
Swear Toad

Postby Graystripe » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:52 pm

Ah yes, The Sight has an awesome feeling to it when the characters are being torn apart. Such a good book.

But anyways, I like a sad book about loyalty and faith and doing what's right. For example, Warriors. One of the scenes in the book were about an old Cat who had her last litter of kittens before she got too old. She only had one kitten, and that kitten was deaf. All the cats of her clan warned her about how the kitten wouldn't hear battle cries, orders, or if a predator was coming. But the mother didn't care, and she tried teaching her kitten everything it needed to know to become a Warrior. The kitten and mother got very close, but one day, a hawk swept down to the clan's camp and snatched the deaf kitten from where it slept. The mother was depressed, and too old to have any more kittens.

I like a sad book, like that. Also, I like humorous books. I think you know which humorous books in particular I'm talking about. >w<

Slepyhed
Sprite

Postby Slepyhed » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:44 am

I read nearly everything, with the exception of those Mary Kate and Ashley and Sweet valley high and anything that falls into that ctaergory. I prefer moving stories which make me cry... and with action but lots of emotion. I like humor too, and although I really don't like admitting it, romance.

Dillon
Gremlin

Postby Dillon » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:48 pm

In a book I like it to have some criminal elements,extreme intelligence, and a bit of fantasty. ( Basicly all that Artemis Fowl is Very Happy )

Sorcha
Commander

Postby Sorcha » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:33 pm

I like books that have depth, meaning, surprises and humour. Just as long as a book has those two factors, I don't mind the genre (although like Slepyhead, I don't like Mary Kate/Ashley books).

raped by immortal and then sprinkled with love from kitty (:
you dare rape my sig?! o: i'ma gonna find out who did that. *kidnaps sig*

*raped with kisses and love from kitty again* ;)

MASTER I
Council Member

Postby MASTER I » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:30 am

I like books that you can learn new things from. I particularly like fantasy, science fiction and historical fiction, they construct a whole new perspective for me.
"My tongue will tell the anger of my heart or else my heart concealing it will break and rather than it shall, I will be free even to the uttermost, as I please, in words."

"Talk not to me: I will go sit and weep
Till I can find occasion of revenge."

Frost
Centaur

Postby Frost » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:29 pm

I love all types of books. From historical Fiction to horror fantasy. Even just plain old non-fiction books. I love when there is just an element of something not true, but that it ties in and the author explains it well. Like with Artemis Fowl how it all seems so precise and thought out. Also when the world is so completely different than our own so that you can't even imagine it. I have to say fantasy is my favorite, as well as romance. Though, like I said, I prefer my romance to have a touch of something not real in it just to make it more interesting. Science fiction is good, but I didn't like THGTTG, just a little to wacky for me. I loved the animorphs series. And Unicorns of Balinor was one of my favorite books when I was younger. I also read the Thoroughbred series (up until like #22). The Book Theif is a sad His-fic that I loved, as well as a book I can't remember the name of that was about people in like India or Hindus or something. Even Chick-flicks and graphic fighting books are good for me. All in all though, give me a book, even if it is one I have read, and I will be busy for hours. ^^

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

Postby Kitsy » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:38 pm

I despise most "teen/chick-flick books" as my friends classed them. I can't stand them. Mad

I don't mind a bit of humour in a book, but I tend to go for the more serious, epic books. Though I do like some of the classics, I get bored with most of them. Well written romance is a must-have in all my favourite books, [s]I love romance.[/s] but only when it's done well. Harry Potter romance is sickening, as is romance in the Supernaturalist and books written for romance [chick-flicks].

Some books do romance okay, ie. The Old Kingdom books- the romance is sweet, but not really centre stage. And then you have WoT romance, which I LOVE. ANd stuffs...
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

Ihdreniel
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Hannah

Postby Ihdreniel » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:42 pm

Holly Short wrote:I despise most "teen/chick-flick books" as my friends classed them. I can't stand them. Mad

Same here... though I guess I do have some exceptions. I like Jaclyn Moriarty's books The Year of Secret Assignments and The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie, and those could probably be considered "chick-flick" novels. But they're hilarious. Laughing
"eeeep!" says the insane chibling.
And then. . .

It attacks.

Image Image Image
Co-President of the Obnoxious Teenager Club
"Quantity > quality! Remember that."
~ Voldy

(P.S. Ze opéra ghost wants 'is paycheck.)

Return to “Literature”