Who's your favourite author?

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
Mizora
Spartan Warrior
Real First Name: Uh...Guess?
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Spinnika

Who's your favourite author?

Postby Mizora » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:29 am

I was just writing a post that mentioned several of my favourite authors and I thought, hey, I should start a thread about it and so here it is!
I LOVE Harry Potter!!!
˙ɯɐ ı sɐ ʇɹɐɯs sɐ ǝɹɐ noʎ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı ¿sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ uɐɔ
BIBLE = Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth
"Lol Mizzy. MIZZZZZY. MiZoRa's box. Pandora. Mizora. Muahahaha. Insane, eh?" - Purple_Enigma
An adventure is merely an inconvenience looked at the right way, while an inconvenience is an adventure looked at the wrong way. ~G.K Chesterton
http://www.fairytalenovels.com/
EA Awards 2011-Mr. Shiny award of 2011

I rock
Pixie
Real First Name: Ponmathi
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Captain Grammar

Re: Who's your favourite author?

Postby I rock » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:27 pm

Right, I'm a fan of Anthony Horowitz.
*waits around for ninja assasins to strike*
Anyone else?
I'm reading Eragon right now and The Wind Singer and Alpha Force
So Paolni, Nicholson and Ryan are my favs at the moment

(OF COURSE eoin colfer)
ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

I <3 The Blind Guardian....don't know what it is? GOOGLE TO DA RESCUE...
You can't spell Party without Arty....lolz
I <3 You
Yes, I mean you, you hunk...
AM I CREEPING YOU OUT YET?

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

Postby Kitsy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:17 pm

Wrong forum - I'll move it now but please be sure to check where your thread is going.
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:36 pm

Hmmm... I have so many favorite authors, it's hard to pick. I'll narrow it down to five.

I love William Goldman, and his book The Princess Bride. I loved how he was able to narrate as both himself and another author, and through that show the effect of fairy tales on his life. I thought his setting up a 'book within his book' was absolutely genius--it allowed you to see how the book affected your life, too, while you were in the midst of reading it. He really took the process of narrating a book to a whole different art form.

One of my absolute, die-hard favorites is Markus Zusak, even though I've only read two books of his. Both The Book Theif and I Am The Messenger are extremely powerful, moving, beautiful pieces of art and I savored every single word of his. In terms of actual poetic writing style, his is by far my favorite.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is also a hero of mine. I've stuck through every single Sherlock Holmes story and his book The Lost World and he's never disappointed me. He has an excellent, bare-facts style of writing and I love his first person narration with Dr. Watson. There's a particular feeling you get when you're reading his books that you can't get anywhere else. He's an oldie but a goodie.

Neil Gaiman is my all-around favorite author. He has one of the most brilliant imaginations ever, and his books are always conceptually brililant and extremely deep and well written. He can do no wrong in my book.

I'd say J.R.R. Tolkien has to show up on this list, too--even though I have difficulty reading LOTR because they make me depressed. He's attained a "hero status" with me for a different reason--in just four books (the three LOTR books and The Hobbit), he almost singlehandedly brought an entire literary genre into legitimacy. Back when he was writing, fantasy was looked down upon until his work forced people to say, wow, this is amazing--and also a fantasy. He paved the pathway for generations of writers of fantasy, and since it's been my lifelong goal to be one of them, he's a huge hero of mine.

So yeah. Those are my top five.
"Stories are the only thing worth dying for."
~The Unwritten

Mizora
Spartan Warrior

Postby Mizora » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:56 am

I have lots of favourite authors. But my alltime favourites are:
Emily Rodda
Deborah Abela
Christopher Paolini
John Flanagan
J.R.R Tolkien
J.K Rowling
and Eoin Colfer
I LOVE Harry Potter!!!
"Lol Mizzy. MIZZZZZY. MiZoRa's box. Pandora. Mizora. Muahahaha. Insane, eh?" - Purple_Enigma
An adventure is merely an inconvenience looked at the right way, while an inconvenience is an adventure looked at the wrong way. ~G.K Chesterton

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:24 pm

Defo. with you on Neil Gaiman Bkkprgirl! He's one of my fav. authors too - I just ordered Neverwhere and Stardust, even though I've already read them. They're amazing books. I liked quite alot of the stories in Smoke and Mirrors, and American Gods was good once I got into it!

Hmm, apart from Neil Gaiman I would also put Garth Nix in there. I adored the Sabriel series. Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials are amazing too.

That's the thing though, I have favourite books and series, but not really authors. I love George R.R. Martin's incredibly long Songs of Ice and Fire (at least that's what I think they're called.) And I have immense respect for Tolkien as an author - LOTR isn't my favourite series, though I do love it, but what he did was amazing.

I guess another would be Jaqueline Wilson. She writes kids books and I've been reading them since I was about 9 and I still get each new one. I've grown out of them ever so slightly, but she's just amazing at writing from the point of view of a child and she deals with fairly serious stuff in a way that makes it okay for kids to read.

ILiveForTheDay
Golden Acorn Officer
Real First Name: ForeverDay

Postby ILiveForTheDay » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:23 pm

I really have a probelm with Jaqueline Wilson. Her books seem to have 1D charaters (they don't even have enough to count as 2D), and they don't seem to change at all, except for different names. The teen books are always about a fatty, but never mind in the end she gets the guy of her dreams, or she realises she doesn't need him, she has her BFF'S. Her style makes me gag, especially how kids eat it up.

But anyway onto favourite authors, I tend to read a book and think awful/bad/good/really good/brilliant and for anything lower than brilliant (and occasionally really good) I don't remember the author's. But a couple that come to mind right now, EC, obviously is a favourite (especially when he write for an older audiance), I like Cristoper Paolini (he has some really good plots), James Patterson (his style's nice), Caroline Lawrence (though I never actually read the entire series), and all the legendary's.
☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

Grady: 'Cuz everytime you try to do something nice for us we end up sad
Nico: Or injured
Grady: Or in Mexico. . .

It's ALIVE.

☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

Winter
Pixie

Postby Winter » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:44 am

My number one favorite is Maria McCann =w=
I just bought a second copy of her one and only book today. It was 20c in the library ;u;. Now, if I ever lose my first copy, I don't have to panic!

Anne Rice, Stephen King and Anne McCaffry tie for second place.

Third; JK Rowling, Paul Stewart and Christian Jacq.

And I have a whole list of favorite authors after that =3.
"I write, therefor I am"

Image Image
DeviantART | Twitter | Before I Die
(A/H fanfic)

nindra
Council Member

Postby nindra » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:21 am

You're definitely on their list. The question to ask next is what list it is.
æ

Chitiliti
Commander
Real First Name: Cait
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Chitiliti

Postby Chitiliti » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:25 pm

Dean Koontz, hands down. I want to be like him when I grow up. xD

I'm also keeping an eye on Patrick Rothfuss. I've only read his only book but HOLY CRAP IT WAS AMAZING.

Mizora
Spartan Warrior

Postby Mizora » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:03 am

What's the book called? I've never heard of Patrick Rothfuss.
I like Christopher Paolini. Lol, most people faint when I tell them I've read the books. They think they're to big for someone my age. But I'm a total bookworm.
I LOVE Harry Potter!!!

Cat Moon
Commander
Location: HIVE - The Higher Institute of Villainous Education

Postby Cat Moon » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:46 pm

I really love Pratchett's writing style, and the way he twists our reality ninety degrees and makes you laugh at it.

Tying for second: Jonathan Stroud, David Eddings and Mark Walden.

EC is obviously tying with Pratchett. :laughing:
Thankyou for my avvie, Rain! I luv it!!! :laughing:

Do not let the Cat out. No matter what I tell you. :shiny:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

Chitiliti
Commander
Real First Name: Cait
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Chitiliti

Postby Chitiliti » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:55 pm

Mizora wrote:What's the book called? I've never heard of Patrick Rothfuss.
I like Christopher Paolini. Lol, most people faint when I tell them I've read the books. They think they're to big for someone my age. But I'm a total bookworm.

It's called The Name of the Wind. You should definitely pick it up if you get a chance. I can't wait for the sequel.

But yeah. He's definitely one of my favorite authors. I have daydreams about collaborating with him when I get to be a semi-famous fantasy novelist myself.

Mizora
Spartan Warrior

Postby Mizora » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:23 am

Chitiliti wrote:I have daydreams about collaborating with him when I get to be a semi-famous fantasy novelist myself.

That's exactly what I want to be when I grow up. A fantasy author. And a good one I hope. 8)
I LOVE Harry Potter!!!

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:15 pm

ILiveForTheDay wrote:I really have a probelm with Jaqueline Wilson. Her books seem to have 1D charaters (they don't even have enough to count as 2D), and they don't seem to change at all, except for different names. The teen books are always about a fatty, but never mind in the end she gets the guy of her dreams, or she realises she doesn't need him, she has her BFF'S. Her style makes me gag, especially how kids eat it up.

But anyway onto favourite authors, I tend to read a book and think awful/bad/good/really good/brilliant and for anything lower than brilliant (and occasionally really good) I don't remember the author's. But a couple that come to mind right now, EC, obviously is a favourite (especially when he write for an older audiance), I like Cristoper Paolini (he has some really good plots), James Patterson (his style's nice), Caroline Lawrence (though I never actually read the entire series), and all the legendary's.

Not all her characters are fat - many are thins, wispy girls; the point is that most of them are ordinary. I agree that her books get tiresome after a while, they are very similar. But she explores issues that most children's authors stay well away from, and she does it in a way that children can identify with and understand. I really respect her work.

As for Paolini, he makes me want to die. Literally, die die die.

As for Prattchet, I'm so torn about his work. I respect him a ridiculous amount, but I've tried reading a few of his Discworld books and I just couldn't do it. That was a few years ago though, so I might try again but he might just not be my type of author.

Return to “Literature”