Who's your favourite author?

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
artytwin
Commander
Real First Name: Fatima

Re: Who's your favourite author?

Postby artytwin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:03 am

you might kill me, i found the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy okay, but very genius and creative just not like eoin colfer, not a book that i would read in a day. the restaurant at the end of the galaxy, i didnt even finish it and bought plugged.

evilopalrocks!
Heavenly Huntress
Real First Name: Eden

Postby evilopalrocks! » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:19 am

artytwin wrote:you might kill me, i found the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy okay, but very genius and creative just not like eoin colfer, not a book that i would read in a day. the restaurant at the end of the galaxy, i didnt even finish it and bought plugged.

but Colfer wrote the 6th book in the sieres!

also, Hugo lost a bit of his status in my list, because I'm reading Notre-Dame now, and it is rather boring.
Hi people.
I have something very important to tell you.
But now I forgot what it was.
Maybe I'll remember later. who knows.
If I will, I'll be sure to write it. So..... Yeah.
Dismissed. Carry on.

MasterMaxwell
Swear Toad

Postby MasterMaxwell » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:31 pm

Kevin Slyvester, whom none of you have never heard of, but I don't care. I'm Canadian, okay?

La Souris Bleue
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name: Alice

Postby La Souris Bleue » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:48 am

Serge Brussolo *O* French author who every websites and interviews claim to be the most famous but it seems that nobody knows him besides me ><
This guy just has the most incredible and prolific and extraordinary imagination ever. He wrote basically everything an author can write (novels, short stories, sci-fi, thriller, children books, historical novels, crime fiction...), and always soo well. I discovered him when about seven or something, with his most famous children book series Peggy Sue, and I never let him down since :D My favourite book of his is Captive of winter, set in the Middle Age, in which Marion, a young French stone carver, is abducted by Vikings. But insted of turning her into a slave, like they usually do with their prisoners, they put iron gloves on her hands and treat her like a queen - because they take her for a witch, and she will be given the task to take care of the gods statues, which are made of ice. But that's just the beginning, and the plot keeps thickening and thickening and it's just so damn great I keep being surprised by the ending though I've read this book a hundredth times ^^'
''T'es juste assez intelligent pour te rendre compte que tu l'es pas assez ; c'est déjà pas si mal.''

~ J'aimerais pas crever un dimanche

AF Lover
Truly Devoted Fan
Real First Name: Lucy

Postby AF Lover » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:45 am

I really like Gordon Korman. He's wrote a lot of books such as Ungifted (really good), Schooled, Radio Fifth Grade (meh), and The Hypnotists (AMAZING!).

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Sun May 03, 2015 10:08 pm

If I judge by plot, I'd have to say Rick Riordan and J. K. Rowling. For laughs and touching moments, Angie Sage of the Septimus Heap series and and R. J. Palacio, authour of Wonder. For writing style, Cornelia Funke in the Mirrorworld series, Jerry Spinelli, in Stargirl, and Silvana de Mari, author of The Last Dragon.

I've read Gordon Korman's books, and they were pretty good, but I guess he's just not among my favourite authors.
I said you were smart, Mud Boy. I was wrong; are exceptional.—Qwan
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
We can only change the future, not the past or present.—Artemis Fowl II
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

AF Lover
Truly Devoted Fan
Real First Name: Lucy

Postby AF Lover » Sun May 03, 2015 11:24 pm

I met Gordon Korman at the LA Times Festival of Books! It was spectacular!

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Sat May 16, 2015 8:18 pm

Ooh, you're lucky. I've never met any of my favourite authors.
I said you were smart, Mud Boy. I was wrong; are exceptional.—Qwan
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
We can only change the future, not the past or present.—Artemis Fowl II
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:07 am

Huh, weirdly, that's actually a tough question for me. I find that generally when I become a fan of a series, it's really only that particular series I'm interested in, and even if I read other works by the same author, they don't really strike me the same way. (I've read a lot of Colfer's other works, including books one and two of WARP, The Supernatulist, The Wish List, Half Moon Investigations, Airman, etc., and even though I liked them all right, it's still only Artemis Fowl that I really felt a connection to. It's the same with JK Rowling, and KA Applegate--I love Harry Potter, and I love Animorphs, and I love the way those stories are put together--but it feels off to call them my favorite authors, even if I respect and admire them, when I'm not really following their other works.)

I guess I've read quite a few different books by Brandon Sanderson, and I like his style quite a bit. (Elantris, and the Mistborn series.) Shannon Hale might be another one, I really liked her Goosegirl series, and the Princess Academy.
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Return to “Literature”