The Heroes of Olympus Series

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
FadingLight
Mud Man

Re: The Heroes of Olympus Series

Postby FadingLight » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:44 am

Hey, I liked the inner struggle parts in the Blood of Olympus better than action as well. Especially the thing with Reyna and all her ghosts (literally and figuratively).

Oh, and the fact that Nico has a zombie chauffeur! Also the fact that he got his happy ending, I would've freaked if he died. Poor guy.

Unfortunately, the fact that
Spoiler:
Leo died and came back
was spoiled for me, when I was reading, of all things, a review of the book on the library website. Well, they say review; it was more of a comment that ruined that subplot.

I sorta wish we'd seen more of Will in the earlier books, he seems pretty cool.

What was your favourite quote from the book?
I said you were smart, Mud Boy. I was wrong; are exceptional.—Qwan
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
We can only change the future, not the past or present.—Artemis Fowl II
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:43 am

Yeah, I think the fact that the final battle with Gaea was actually kind of quick and more of the book was devoted to the characters' internal struggles was an interesting aspect of the book. I actually kind of prefer that to having a huge battle scene, because the characters and their personal battles are really what make a book interesting. (Battles can be exciting, but only if the surrounding circumstances of the character's struggles are built up to make them exciting, or at least that's how it is for me.) Reyna was a very interesting character, and I love how the series weaves and connects the character through all different kinds of relationships, enemies, friends, etc. and though there are romantic relationships, there are other kinds too that play just as key of a role. (The development of friendship and mutual respect between Nico and Reyna was one of the most interesting aspects of the final book for me.)

In many ways, I like this type of ending for a series better than such as was done for AF. I think part of the reason there might have been a negative reaction to The Last Guardian from some fans is that it seemed to lack some of the underlying emotional tension you see in the earlier books. (The emotional struggles in TLG are, from what I remember, mostly limited to fears of death, destruction of the world, self-sacrifice, etc., the typical fears of fictional heros, while the struggles in earlier books, such as how far one should be willing to go to achieve a good end, are more nuanced.) So I sort of liked how the final book of the Heroes of Olympus kind of took a different turn. The focus on the characters was so refreshing. (I wonder if there will be more PJO spinoff series, or if this is really the end this time.)
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:50 pm

It seems to be the end, but you never know. I can't wait for Rick Riordan's new series on the Norse gods.

I liked that the book didn't have an epilogue set many years later, instead leaving things up to your imagination. I've read good epilogues before, it's just that I like not having one better, since an epilogue in the future pretty much drives home the fact that the series is over, likely forever, which might be true but is a depressing thought nonetheless. Also, no epilogue leaves the way open for fanfiction and speculation.
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:14 pm

Oh yeah, I'm the same way. I think epilogues can provide some fuel for fanfiction, but they can also be very limiting. (To be honest, even though TLG didn't really have a real epilogue, it was somewhat limiting too. I was working on writing an AF fanfiction that had to do with Holly going to another dimension where events were slightly different, and the way I'd written it, she goes to Haven but doesn't really notice anything different until later. But after I'd gotten pretty far into it I realized, 'Hey, wasn't police plaza destroyed? What about the rest of Haven?' Ie, the Haven cities in both dimensions wouldn't look the same, which kind of screwed me up...[I threw in an explanation about rebuilding, but I hate having to do that. The logic was so much more beautiful and elegant before...sigh.])

Oh, is he writing another series? I'll have to check it out. (Hey, do you know if he finished the egyptian one? I think I read the first book, maybe the second, but I still have to read the others. And I'm really looking forward to the short story that crosses the two worlds, I'll have to see if I can find it.)
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:13 pm

Yup, he finished the Egyptian one (The Kane Chronicles). The third and last book is The Serpent's Shadow. Also, I think you can find the three short crossover stories (The Son of Sobek, The Staff of Serapis, and The Crown of Ptolemy) in the backs of the paperback versions of The Serpent's Shadow, The Mark of Athena, and The House of Hades. That should probably have provided incentive for me to actually buy the books, but I found one short story in the library, and read the other two in one sitting at a bookstore, thus fulfilling my habit of reading a whole lot of books but hardly owning any.

Also, here is what Rick Riordan said to epilogues before The Blood of Olympus came out: https://mobile.twitter.com/camphalfbloo ... 8241207297

It made me laugh.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:30 pm

XD!! That's awesome. (So true.)

Oh, speaking of PJO, I finally watch the movie (the first one) a few days ago. After everyone was saying how terrible it was, I was curious...

To be honest, although I found the acting right at the beginning to a bit awkward, I didn't think the movie as a whole was so bad, and I enjoyed it. It was definitely pretty different from the book, though, from what I remember, and it was also more clearly aimed at a teen audience than the original book. (I also found it a bit strange they gave Annabeth brown hair, I wondered about that.) There was a kind of romance added in between Annabeth and Percy, which I was a bit ambivalent about. (Though the almost-not kiss at the end did make me laugh. XD)

I think the main disappointing thing about making all the characters more of a teen age (though I don't think that changes the story of The Lightning Thief nearly as much as it would have been to make the HP characters older, or Artemis in a potential AF movie), rather than twelve like they are in the books, is that it's pretty clear the moviemakers won't be making the entire series of books into movies, like they did with HP, where you see the actors/actresses grow up.

Oh, I also have been reading the PJO graphic novel, and I was actually pretty surprised by just how awesome it was. The artwork is just fantastic (though Percy and the others do again look older than twelve, lol), and really brings the story to life. And, at least from what I remember of the book (it's been a long time, so I could be wrong), the events in the gn follow those of the book pretty closely, at least so far.

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:11 pm

Yeah, I liked the graphic novel, the characters looked a lot like I imagined them, it followed the books pretty closely, and the art was really good.

I think I didn't like the movie because it felt like they took the characters from PJO and stuck them into a whole new storyline, with little disregard for what happened in the original first book, and also because the thing at the end of the book, when
Spoiler:
Percy leaves his mom behind in the underworld because she'd never forgive him if he stayed, was changed in the movie to Grover staying, for little reason so as a far as I could see.
I didn't mind the actors being older, I was just annoyed they changed so much of the book, and Annabeth and Grover seemed to act differently in the movie as compared to the book, although that could just be me.

I guess it wasn't awful as a movie, but I didn't like it as the PJO movie.

On another note, have you read the graphic novel of The Last Hero?

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:20 pm

Hmm, that makes sense. (You know, I couldn't actually remember what happened at the end of The Lightning Thief, it had been so long since I read it. I kind of knew his mom ends up living, but I couldn't remember how...) That is a pretty big change, and almost changes the message of the story. And actually, I got the same sense about Annabeth and Grover. I thought Grover especially seemed like a new character altogether, but again, it's sort of fuzzy now so I couldn't be sure.

...There's a graphic novel of The Lost Hero?! (Seriously?) Well, I didn't know about it until just now...(And I haven't actually finished the gn of the first one just yet.) I'll have to see if I can get it. I had no idea the graphic novels had gotten that far...Does that mean they're finished with the original PJO series?

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:35 pm

Nope, I don't think they finished the original series, they just started making the Heroes of Olympus graphic novels as well. I can't remember so well but I think the art looks different from the GNs of the original series. It's pretty good.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:11 pm

Oh yeah, I looked it up, and near as I can tell, they've made it up through The Battle of the Labyrinth in the original series, and have started the Olympus series separate. (Unfortunately, I couldn't find The Battle of the Labyrinth on my website library, so I don't know if I'll get to see that one. I finished the first one, and I'm halfway through the Sea of Monsters, and I have the third one whenever I'm ready. Man, the artwork is just /so/ good.)

I also got The Lost Hero from my library too, and flipped through it (even though I probably won't read it until I read the other ones). The art is quite a bit different from the first series (which makes sense, as I think it's a different artist), but I love the art style and character designs in this one too. The characters are accurate based on how they are described in the book, and I love seeing that, plus the settings are just awesome.

Return to “Literature”