The Heroes of Olympus Series

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
lotrfan
Commander

The Heroes of Olympus Series

Postby lotrfan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:26 pm

So, it was suggested that we make a new topic for this new series by Rick Riordan so as to not spoiler it for anyone in the Percy Jackson thread.

The new book (and first in the series) came out a few weeks ago. It's called The Lost Hero

If you don't know what it's about...I'll tell you. It's a companion series to Percy Jackson, and I'm guessing that if you're reading it that you've already read PJ (which you should or you'll be totally lost). Anyway, it focuses on three new characters named Jason, Piper, and Leo, and how they get caught up in the adventures of Camp Half-Blood. Old characters are in it as well, especially Annabeth. They are part of the 7 demigods that will answer the call of the new great prophecy.

So, if any of you have read it, what did you think? I really liked it and I've been dying to talk to someone about the end!!
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Palagrin
Mud Man
Real First Name: Rhys

Re: The Heroes of Olympus Series

Postby Palagrin » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:39 am

I've read the Lost Hero, and found it really exciting. I really enjoyed the addition/spin of the Roman gods, I think that could be really awesome.

As good if not better than PJ.
ThirstforFiction || Recent Reviews: Angel's Fury | Divergent | An Act of Love | Long Reach

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:19 pm

Cool. Yeah, it was interesting to see that. I really like how the old characters were still in it, but weren't the completely main focuses. It made it easier to like the new characters I think.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Palagrin
Mud Man

Postby Palagrin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:55 am

Yeah, it really did help with that.

Although, I actually though Riordan had said that it would be 5 or 6 years after PJ.
ThirstforFiction || Recent Reviews: Angel's Fury | Divergent | An Act of Love | Long Reach

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:06 pm

Hmm...I don't know. I don't really remember that. I remember that he said the prophecy comes true sooner than they thought it would. So maybe they thought it would take place in 5 years but it was only like 5 months.

Also, did the ending not just completely blow your mind? I mean, I just flipped out about it so much. ...I don't know if I should say it here, or use spoilers...

Spoiler:
But,
Percy can't have his memory erased! He can't forget everything that happened in the past five years! Then the same thing that happened to Jason will happen to him (FYI, falling in love with someone else, when he already has a girlfriend). But there's no way that Riordan will break up him and Annabeth, so that should be ok, but then Piper and Jason probably won't be together, cause it would be the same situation, only we don't know the other Jason girl. So this can't really end up happily for romances...

Also, I really liked how Thalia was in it. I love her.
ImageImage Image

Palagrin
Mud Man

Postby Palagrin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:52 am

I think Hera will give it back- it wasn't erased, just stolen.

That's what I understood, anyway.

bluesunrise
Bubbly Queen of Blue
AFC Fan Fiction Name: bluesunrise

Postby bluesunrise » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:42 am

I just finished reading it and I absolutely love it! I was expecting the ending thing with Percy, but when I think about it, it makes perfect sense! I so can't wait for the next book to come out!

The Doctor/Rose=BEST SHIP EVER!

Purple_Enigma
Pixie

Postby Purple_Enigma » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:53 am

lotrfan wrote:Hmm...I don't know. I don't really remember that. I remember that he said the prophecy comes true sooner than they thought it would. So maybe they thought it would take place in 5 years but it was only like 5 months.

Also, did the ending not just completely blow your mind? I mean, I just flipped out about it so much. ...I don't know if I should say it here, or use spoilers...

Spoiler:
But,
Percy can't have his memory erased! He can't forget everything that happened in the past five years! Then the same thing that happened to Jason will happen to him (FYI, falling in love with someone else, when he already has a girlfriend). But there's no way that Riordan will break up him and Annabeth, so that should be ok, but then Piper and Jason probably won't be together, cause it would be the same situation, only we don't know the other Jason girl. So this can't really end up happily for romances...

Also, I really liked how Thalia was in it. I love her.

Spoiler:
I'm worried about the same thing, tbh. I want Jason and pipes together but I keep thinking how unfair that would be on Reyna or whoever and how I would feel if the same thing happened to Annabeth. So romance looks like there'll be a definite slump. Aphrodite's gonna love this, isn't she? :lick:
I sorta expected the ending as we approached it. When Juno landed up to meet Jason and told him heroes had to be exchanged. I KNEW for sure then where Percy was. I just hoped I wouldn't have to wait till the next book for Annabeth to realize it. And I didn't! Yay!!

And yeah, GLAD Thalia was in it. :D So awesome. I wish Percy was there to, but oh well. He'll be there in the next one since it's called "Son of Neptune" :D

I just finished reading the book, fyi :D T'was soo awesome!
TAC
Spoiler:
'I must go,Butler,' said Artemis firmly.'My mind is eating me alive.I think the guilt is the main problem.I must do whatever I can to atone.'
'And?' said Butler,unconvinced.
Artemis held his arms out so that Foaly could drape the suit sleeves over them.
'And I will not be beaten by that jackass.'
'Jackass?'said Foaly,wounded.‘My favourite uncle is a jackass.'

From here
Spoiler:
If asked in class what the Avada Kedavra curse does, yelling "It does DEATH!" may be correct but is not the manner in which one should answer.
The proper way to report to Professor McGonagall is "You wanted to see me, Professor?" Not "I have it on good authority that you have no evidence."
I will not tell the Ravenclaws that they're basically useless because Hogwarts' smartest student is in another house.
I will not conjure up lemons and say-Life hath given thou LEMONS!

EA 2011 - The Member who is Always in the Know :D :D

bluesunrise
Bubbly Queen of Blue

Postby bluesunrise » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:45 pm

I sincerely hope that Riordan doesn't mess up the whole Percy/Annabeth relationship because Percy lost his memory. I waited five books for them to get together and I hope he doesn't ruin it now!

Anyway, I'm waiting to see whether I ship Jason/Piper or Jason/Reyna, until we actually met Reyna. I don't really care for Piper all that much, but maybe she'll get better in the next book.

Oh, do you guys think Reyna will be one of the seven demigods? So far we have five (at least I'm sure these are the five) Jason, Piper, Leo, Annabeth, and Percy. Just two more!

Palagrin
Mud Man

Postby Palagrin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:51 pm

I sincerely hope that Riordan doesn't mess up the whole Percy/Annabeth relationship because Percy lost his memory. I waited five books for them to get together and I hope he doesn't ruin it now!

I doubt it! He did, after all, also spend five books extreneously foreshadowing it...

bluesunrise
Bubbly Queen of Blue

Postby bluesunrise » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:22 pm

Palagrin wrote:

I doubt it! He did, after all, also spend five books extreneously foreshadowing it...

True...

I hope we get a good look at Percy's life in the Roman Camp before the others show up. It would be unfair to show what Jason has gone through with losing his memory and not to show the similar thing with Percy.

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:03 pm

bluesunrise wrote:I sincerely hope that Riordan doesn't mess up the whole Percy/Annabeth relationship because Percy lost his memory. I waited five books for them to get together and I hope he doesn't ruin it now!

Anyway, I'm waiting to see whether I ship Jason/Piper or Jason/Reyna, until we actually met Reyna. I don't really care for Piper all that much, but maybe she'll get better in the next book.

Oh, do you guys think Reyna will be one of the seven demigods? So far we have five (at least I'm sure these are the five) Jason, Piper, Leo, Annabeth, and Percy. Just two more!

I really don't think that he'll mess up Percy/Annabeth, because he spent 5 books leading up to it. That would just be unforgivably cruel. But that's why I think he will split up Piper and Jason. I like Piper, I like how she's a daughter of Aphrodite, but she's nothing like the others. But yeah, like Purple_Enigma said, Reyna is the Annabeth of the Roman Camp, if I were her, I would be super-PO'ed if Jason ended up with someone else.
I do think Reyna will be one of the seven, and the other will probably be a new Roman person.

I don't see how they can not show Percy at the other camp. I have a weird thought that maybe Reyna will fall in love with Percy, but I also don't think that will happen. I don't know. I hope the 7th person is a guy from camp-Roman. I really want another awesome-fighting guy. Like a son of Apollo or something...idk.
ImageImage Image

bluesunrise
Bubbly Queen of Blue

Postby bluesunrise » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:17 pm

lotrfan wrote:I really don't think that he'll mess up Percy/Annabeth, because he spent 5 books leading up to it. That would just be unforgivably cruel. But that's why I think he will split up Piper and Jason. I like Piper, I like how she's a daughter of Aphrodite, but she's nothing like the others. But yeah, like Purple_Enigma said, Reyna is the Annabeth of the Roman Camp, if I were her, I would be super-PO'ed if Jason ended up with someone else.
I do think Reyna will be one of the seven, and the other will probably be a new Roman person.

I don't see how they can not show Percy at the other camp. I have a weird thought that maybe Reyna will fall in love with Percy, but I also don't think that will happen. I don't know. I hope the 7th person is a guy from camp-Roman. I really want another awesome-fighting guy. Like a son of Apollo or something...idk.

The only thing we know about Reyna is her name and that Jason might have been in a relationship with her. So, I wouldn't exactly call her the Annabeth of the Roman Camp.

Purple_Enigma
Pixie

Postby Purple_Enigma » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:51 am

bluesunrise wrote:The only thing we know about Reyna is her name and that Jason might have been in a relationship with her. So, I wouldn't exactly call her the Annabeth of the Roman Camp.

True.....but it's more than likely. Or that at least they were in like the "Titan's Curse" stage of their relationship (Y'know, with one of them going away and the other worrying). That way they may not be together but they still might have a budding romance going on. And I like Piper but her name annoys me. And there's just something about Aphrodite that annoys me, even though she was better in this book. And yeah like someone said before, I'd like to see how Percy handles stuff for a while. Give us at least a few chapters from his POV, please!
TAC
Spoiler:
'I must go,Butler,' said Artemis firmly.'My mind is eating me alive.I think the guilt is the main problem.I must do whatever I can to atone.'
'And?' said Butler,unconvinced.
Artemis held his arms out so that Foaly could drape the suit sleeves over them.
'And I will not be beaten by that jackass.'
'Jackass?'said Foaly,wounded.‘My favourite uncle is a jackass.'

From here
Spoiler:
If asked in class what the Avada Kedavra curse does, yelling "It does DEATH!" may be correct but is not the manner in which one should answer.
The proper way to report to Professor McGonagall is "You wanted to see me, Professor?" Not "I have it on good authority that you have no evidence."
I will not tell the Ravenclaws that they're basically useless because Hogwarts' smartest student is in another house.
I will not conjure up lemons and say-Life hath given thou LEMONS!

EA 2011 - The Member who is Always in the Know :D :D

bluesunrise
Bubbly Queen of Blue

Postby bluesunrise » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:13 pm

Oh, yes please! I want to see what little pieces of memory Hera let him keep. Will he remember Annabeth? I certainly hope he does and that some girl in the Roman Camp won't try and catch him.

AAAAAH! This series has suddenly disappeared from fanfiction.net. What happened!?

Return to “Literature”